Old September 24th 04, 08:30 PM
Len Over 21

In article , PAMNO
(mother superior) writes:

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

for cripes sake, the Honcho Maximo of NCI wised up and
bailed out of here long ago leaving us to bicker mindlesssly,
circularly and endlessly with dim lights like Burke and the other
Anderson. WE'RE the RRAP stupids for bothering with any of it
Miccolis.

Who is bothering? I read a few posts, write a few, discuss interesting
topics with KB3EIA, N8UZE, and some others. Filtering what one reads
works wonders.

Carl only got to reap what he sowed.

Carl *used to* be one of the top name-callers, insulters, shouters, and
all-around behave-like-a-two-year-old posters here. Almost but not quite down
to Len Anderson's level of behavior.

Right. I'm the "only one" signing off posts for over a year using a
Yiddish pejorative meaning "penis head?"

I'm the "only one" who has implied opponents are pedophiles and
accusing them of spousal abuse...in addition to being "pathological
liars?"

Of course. Terrible behavior. Gratuitously egregious.

:-)

Mother superior should be aware of Jim Kehler, KH2D, and his
actions in here as one of the ardent (if not virulent) PCTA super
extras and the wonderful "No SSB International."

Mother superior* should be aware of one Eric June who tried to
take over that position in here...Cecil Moore [of the "live and let
live" saying as an NCTA] confounded him at every turn.

[* that is NOT a religious title]

Tsk, tsk, tsk. All that hopping up and down about "rude
behavior!" And to a Lord High God of Radio(telegraphy)!

Maybe you want your congressperson to start a bill to abrogate
all free and independent thought and expression by U.S. citizens
against the morse code test? That ought to end any conflict and
make you oh-so-happy.

"Tension, apprehension, and dissention have begun..." - from
Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man."

With all the best of kindest regards for your moral superiority,

Old September 24th 04, 09:20 PM
KØHB

"Len Over 21" wrote

"Tension, apprehension, and dissention have begun..." - from
Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man."

Pretensions of literacy?

"Sometime pool-pah exceeds the power of humans to comment." - from Kurt
Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle"

Sunuvugun!*

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

* There are only 2 "n"s in sunuvugun.

Old September 25th 04, 04:00 AM
Len Over 21

In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

"Len Over 21" wrote

"Tension, apprehension, and dissention have begun..." - from
Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man."

Pretensions of literacy?

Absolutely NO pretense, crusty old sea salt. As a many-times
published author in several different publications, I do have some
literacy background.

Not only that, I was a member of the first, and still surviving,
science fiction club (first worldwide, in fact) just down the street
a bit in North Hollywood. [SFWA] Need directions to get there?

Lots of the writers (not just science fiction) show up there from
time to time. I don't recall Vonnegut ever being there...he isn't
really mainstream SF, more of a literary-review favorite for the
Sunday supplements.

"Tension, apprehension, and dissention have begun..." :-)

Old September 25th 04, 05:57 AM
William

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article ,
PAMNO
(N2EY) writes:

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

But when it came down to it, "pulling a Cecil" meant actually getting on the
air and meeting others on the air. *Cecil* was a stand-up guy about the whole
thing. The other Brian isn't. That's the bottom line.

No, not a "bottom line," just another denigration of someone who
refused a demand from a Lord High God of Radio(telegraphy) to
"sked" with "CW" at the appointed hour.

Just another person willing to compromise his convictions so that "we
can all just get along."

In the end he didn't get along; his compromise was for naught; he
left.

Trying to appease terrorists just doesn't work.

Mother superior* has outdone herself.

She's on the run.

[* term does NOT have any religious connotation...]

Nor does "Morseodist" but one in particular took offense. I think it
was too close to "Methodist."

And it will be spun so that somehow it's *your* fault...

Yawn.

Didja read my UP/URS-2 story about what probably really happened in T5? Wanna
bet that it's pretty darn close to the truth?

Not that we'll ever get the real story or even a straight answer...

Report back to us after your return from T5 land and tell us of your
findings, Lord High Gods of Radio(telegraphy).

I hope they decide to bring at least M16's. And tripple copies of
"thier" CSCE's to impress the warlords with. Maybe they'll wire
"thier" forward assists as code keys! Hi, hi!

Neither of you were there before...yet you are all so damn Expert on
the matter.

Even Heil, The World's Greatest Ham, blew it WRT what is legal in
countries without governments. He only has experience in countries
with viable governments - especially the one's that deny him amateur
privs!

So, after I explained what was needed for licensing, none have taken
the opportuinty to go operate from Somalia, not even that chickenliver
that has visions of flying bricks.

Maybe they're afraid of "Blackguard Down."

Who would they pray to?

PCTA extras must stick together...and try to stick it to any NCTA
within sight and hearing (like General Order #1).

Stickit to Ya while they brag about real military experience!

Seben hostile actions.

Hi, hi!

Old September 25th 04, 07:22 AM
Brian Kelly

PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message ...
In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
.com...

.. . . . . .

Those waivers effectively meant that nobody really had to go beyond the 5 wpm
test to get a US ham license. All it took was a doctor's note from *any* MD or
DO, and you could write the letter and get the doc to sign it. You didn't need
a diagnosis of any particular problem, nor any sort of permanent condition,
just a rather vague certification that for medical reasons it would be harder
for you to pass the test than the average bloke.

Do you know of *anyone* who tried and couldn't get a waiver? Or *any* doc who
was even questioned by FCC? I don't.

I don't even know anybody who got one of those waivers much less how
they pulled it off.

But there was a lot of complaining in some
quarters about waivers, so FCC made 'em go away.

Once more the ADA cut both ways.

So I expect the
5wpm test to continue to be required for some considerable time
without further ado.

14 months since WRC2003 and nothing's changed....

There's a huge pile of updates of the ham regs which are overdue for
FCC review and revision. I expect that the code test issue will be
wrapped into some sort of major omnibus reworking of Part 97 a la the
Incentive Licensing package of 1968 or so except that this pass ought
to include a bunch more "real estate", 160 thru the millimeter bands
and far more topics "To take ham radio into the 21st century".
Someday. At their convenience. I'm not holding my breath here either.

That's nice. You're the reason I don't bother reading the FD rules
'cause I know that you'll have 'em memorized, analyzed and carved six
ways from Sunday into yer headbone. Which spares me from all that
drudgery. It's always nice to have a "detail guy" like you on tap.

'zactly. Want a quick history of what the rules used to be, how the dates and
operating times evolved and when the first FD was?

.....#$!@^#!*&#@!. . . NO Dammit! Arrrgh!

Didn't think so.

...$#&$!..RIGHT!

So the future of ham radio relies on those who are really interested
in radio for its own sake and are a lot more than "sort of"
interested.

That would take out probably 70% of the current licensees.

Most of that 70% which are inactive anyway.

In this respect I have my reservations abt 70% of the remaining 30%.

I dumped the bait over the transom, I'm chumming for an on-the-air QSO
with NØIMD via the end-fed wire he claims he has. It's put up or shut
time time again around here. Tally Freaking Ho, this oughta be a real
gooder.

Don't hold yer breath. Watch - there will be all kinds of reasons it
won't happen. Like a certain Extra license that is still in its box.

We'll see. The prior RRAP vaguely similar event was not put together
overnight.

But when it came down to it, "pulling a Cecil" meant actually getting on the
air and meeting others on the air. *Cecil* was a stand-up guy about the whole
thing. The other Brian isn't. That's the bottom line.

He "came through" exactly as as expected, he's as predictable as the
tides.

And it will be spun so that somehow it's *your* fault...

Yawn.

Didja read my UP/URS-2 story about what probably really happened in T5?

Yes.

Wanna
bet that it's pretty darn close to the truth?

Right off I dunno anything about current military HF comms. However it
strikes me that given Burke's job in that timeframe and place, running
around a USAF shipping/recieving dock with a clipboard chasing down
missing boxes, that he wouldn't have had much in the way of access to
HF comms gear. Not if decent security measures were in place. But like
I said I dunno so I'll pass.

Not that we'll ever get the real story or even a straight answer...

We already got the only "story" which matters.

73 de Jim, N2EY

w3rv
Old September 26th 04, 03:39 AM
N2EY

In article ,
(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
.com...

. . . . . .

Those waivers effectively meant that nobody really had to go beyond the 5
wpm
test to get a US ham license. All it took was a doctor's note from *any* MD
or
DO, and you could write the letter and get the doc to sign it. You didn't
need
a diagnosis of any particular problem, nor any sort of permanent condition,
just a rather vague certification that for medical reasons it would be
harder
for you to pass the test than the average bloke.

Do you know of *anyone* who tried and couldn't get a waiver? Or *any* doc
who
was even questioned by FCC? I don't.

I don't even know anybody who got one of those waivers much less how
they pulled it off.

Nobody had to say they got one. I've known a few hams who did. All they needed
to do was write a letter and get *any* practicing MD or DO to sign it. FCC gave
detailed instructions about what info should be in the letter. Basically it
could be almost anything medically related.

But there was a lot of complaining in some
quarters about waivers, so FCC made 'em go away.

Once more the ADA cut both ways.

Nothing to do with ADA at all.

Waivers came about because ol' JY1 asked Papa Bush for a favor and the Prez
passed the buck down to FCC. FCC dreamed up the medical waiver thing, not any
handicapped-hams group. It became the law in 1990. The 2000 restructuring made
it a moot point.

So I expect the
5wpm test to continue to be required for some considerable time
without further ado.

Possibly. It's certainly not a high priority for FCC.

14 months since WRC2003 and nothing's changed....

There's a huge pile of updates of the ham regs which are overdue for
FCC review and revision. I expect that the code test issue will be
wrapped into some sort of major omnibus reworking of Part 97 a la the
Incentive Licensing package of 1968 or so except that this pass ought
to include a bunch more "real estate", 160 thru the millimeter bands
and far more topics "To take ham radio into the 21st century".
Someday. At their convenience. I'm not holding my breath here either.

Maybe. Or maybe just the opposite - tinker with the details but leave the basic
frame alone. Look at our license structure now - it's the linear descendant of
the 1951 restructuring.

That's nice. You're the reason I don't bother reading the FD rules
'cause I know that you'll have 'em memorized, analyzed and carved six
ways from Sunday into yer headbone. Which spares me from all that
drudgery. It's always nice to have a "detail guy" like you on tap.

'zactly. Want a quick history of what the rules used to be, how the dates

and
operating times evolved and when the first FD was?

....#$!@^#!*&#@!. . . NO Dammit! Arrrgh!

Didn't think so.

..$#&$!..RIGHT!

Here's a tidbit:

Back in the early '70s, there was a rules change that prohibited setting up
until the actual FD period. IOW you weren't supposed to do anything involving
setup until 2 PM Saturday EST. You can guess how well that one went over!

You already know the "aggregate mobile" story.

So the future of ham radio relies on those who are really interested
in radio for its own sake and are a lot more than "sort of"
interested.

That would take out probably 70% of the current licensees.

Most of that 70% which are inactive anyway.

In this respect I have my reservations abt 70% of the remaining 30%.

You know what the bands sound like during a contest. Yet even the big contests
like CQWW don't get more than about 50,000 hams on-air at one time, and most of
them are listening at any given moment.

So the number of truly active hams is but a fraction of the license totals.
Otherwise the bands would sound like a contest all the time.

I dumped the bait over the transom, I'm chumming for an on-the-air QSO
with NØIMD via the end-fed wire he claims he has. It's put up or shut
time time again around here. Tally Freaking Ho, this oughta be a real
gooder.

Don't hold yer breath. Watch - there will be all kinds of reasons it
won't happen. Like a certain Extra license that is still in its box.

We'll see. The prior RRAP vaguely similar event was not put together
overnight.

But when it came down to it, "pulling a Cecil" meant actually getting on
the
air and meeting others on the air. *Cecil* was a stand-up guy about the
whole thing. The other Brian isn't. That's the bottom line.

He "came through" exactly as as expected, he's as predictable as the
tides.

Whatever.

And it will be spun so that somehow it's *your* fault...

Yawn.

Didja read my UP/URS-2 story about what probably really happened in T5?

Yes.

Wanna
bet that it's pretty darn close to the truth?

Right off I dunno anything about current military HF comms. However it
strikes me that given Burke's job in that timeframe and place, running
around a USAF shipping/recieving dock with a clipboard chasing down
missing boxes, that he wouldn't have had much in the way of access to
HF comms gear. Not if decent security measures were in place. But like
I said I dunno so I'll pass.

Not that we'll ever get the real story or even a straight answer...

We already got the only "story" which matters.

Exactly. No big deal. I dunno why K4YZ makes such a big deal about it. Nobody
is complaining that they worked him but didn't get a card. So what's the beef?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 26th 04, 11:59 AM
William

PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message ...
In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
.com...

. . . . . .

Those waivers effectively meant that nobody really had to go beyond the 5
wpm
test to get a US ham license. All it took was a doctor's note from *any* MD
or
DO, and you could write the letter and get the doc to sign it. You didn't
need
a diagnosis of any particular problem, nor any sort of permanent condition,
just a rather vague certification that for medical reasons it would be
harder
for you to pass the test than the average bloke.

Do you know of *anyone* who tried and couldn't get a waiver? Or *any* doc
who
was even questioned by FCC? I don't.

I don't even know anybody who got one of those waivers much less how
they pulled it off.

Nobody had to say they got one.

Why open themselves up to mountains of ridicule and scorn?

I've known a few hams who did. All they needed
to do was write a letter and get *any* practicing MD or DO to sign it. FCC gave
detailed instructions about what info should be in the letter. Basically it
could be almost anything medically related.

Steve would say "who better than a licensed medical authority?"

Maybe the ARRL Section Manager would have been a better way to go?
Hi, hi!

But there was a lot of complaining in some
quarters about waivers, so FCC made 'em go away.

Once more the ADA cut both ways.

Nothing to do with ADA at all.

Waivers came about because ol' JY1 asked Papa Bush for a favor and the Prez
passed the buck down to FCC. FCC dreamed up the medical waiver thing, not any
handicapped-hams group.

Now you're starting to sound like K3LT. Do you have any opinions wrt
Ten-Ten International?