Old July 17th 05, 05:27 PM
an_old_friend

more fraud

KB9RQZ wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:

your point in these looks like biweekly updates?

I love anything qith *bi* in it!!!

Old July 17th 05, 08:32 PM
Jim Hampton

ups.com...
From: on Jul 16, 10:51 pm

an_old_friend wrote:
your point in these looks like biweekly updates?

Simple:

They provide a running record of the number of licensed
amateurs in the USA, by license class. Growth and decline
over time can be seen. And the information will be preserved
as long as rrap is archived somewhere.

Oh, woweeee. Is that like "preserved for posterity?" :-)

Don't QRZ and Hamdata do any "archiving?"

I'm sure the FCC does "archiving." After all, they are the
ones granting the licenses, keeping the database... :-)

It should be noted that the number of US hams grew slightly after the
rules changes of April 2000, peaking in early 2003. Since then, all the
gain has gone and the totals are now almost 10,000 below what they were
before the rules changes.

Based on "archived data" on Hamdata.com, the number of
individual licensees on 16 July 2003 were 738,787. The
number of individual licensees on 16 July 2005 were
721,542. That's a difference of 6,835...HARDLY anything
close to "almost 10,000 below." Turns out that 6,835 is
68.35 percent of 10,000 and a LOT closer to two-thirds.

I'm just using the total number of individual licensees.
If I were to use "only" those who were not in the grace
period, that number would be SMALLER than that, even
farther from 10,000 that you state.

So far, you haven't been able to do much in the way of
Real Numbers, Mr. Engineer. Too much diesel smoke from
the engine sooting up your notes? Tsk.

Well, okay, maybe its all that "effort" to download the
FCC publicly-available database clouded your thinking, right?
You DO download that all by yourself, don't you? DSL you
got, right? Then do the sorting by fields to get what you
want? Did you write the program yourself or did you have
help? Let us know, okay?

Myself, all I need is to glance at Hamdata or QRZ website
and trust them. shrug In here we have YOUR "service,"
right? [ e pluribus micollis ] [sounds like a microbe...]

Did you know that your "service" postings for posterity
have now reached "1800" posts on Google? Actually its only
about 1200 by Google count...I used "1800" because that is
about like your math of "almost 10,000"..."1800" is "almost
like" 1200. :-)

No, that's wrong! "800" is "almost like" 1200! But the
Google message count hasn't changed! Amazing...you post
more and it totals up less! :-) [fun with numbers!]

So, Jimmah, what about the two Technician classes getting
close to the 50% point? No snarly gotta-love-morse comments
on that? Didn't you try to say all those Technicians were
going to drastically DROP in numbers a year or so ago?
Why haven't they dropped, oh servant seer to the grope?

Quick, waste everyone's time with your old PCTA mantras
chanted in here!

dit dot

Hello, Len

I wonder what the number of engineers with BS or higher degrees is doing
these days? Since we export jobs to India (for the smart stuff) and China
(for the slave labor stuff), no one feels a need to know anything.

This is not a rant for Morse (I think you know me better than that); rather
a question as to whether or not folks care to expend even one iota of effort
to learn anything of substance. We have more mystics around now and few
folks of substance. I had to chuckle about a new website for hams, cbers,
and folks that like to discuss *theoretical physics*?!?!

Right.

Perhaps we should hire a priest to sprinkle some Holy Water on the group to
fix everything LOL.

All one needs is a scientific calculator or compooter and punch the numbers
in. Funny how some folks can't even make change without a calculator. Just
punch the number into the calculator. Uh, was that +i or -i ... or was that
j? Impedance? Um .... is that like series or parallel resistors? Just
punch the numbers in. I certainly hope that someone understands what they
are punching in.

Gawd, what are these things? Resistors, but how are they connected.
Someone said something about a bridge? Now what?

Ohm ohm on the range .....

Have a good one, Len. I'm heading to the 'fridge to get a couple of tall,
cool 807s.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old July 17th 05, 10:45 PM

From: Jim Hampton on Jul 17, 3:32 pm

wrote in message

Hello, Len

I wonder what the number of engineers with BS or higher degrees is doing
these days? Since we export jobs to India (for the smart stuff) and China
(for the slave labor stuff), no one feels a need to know anything.

Well, still IN the electronics industry (although not at regular
hours), I don't see that gloomy a picture as far as engineers
and technicians are concerned.

"Exported jobs" are only in certain occupations, a very few to be
exact. What with the availability of multi-channel satellite
telephonic relays, lots and lots of telephone-contact jobs have
moved to India and similar places...but that is largely in the
"service jobs" which don't do that much design, development, and
manufacturing. Some software development has moved to India but
not some "mass exodus" of jobs...there's still plenty of software
development going on within our borders.

I don't have any firm numbers on occupation trends but can point
you to: www.doleta.gov/jobseekers [Department of Labor}

You can check out the in-demand jobs now and projections to the
year 2012. By state if you wish. Starting salaries, mid-term
salaries, top ten-percent salaries given.

This is not a rant for Morse (I think you know me better than that); rather
a question as to whether or not folks care to expend even one iota of effort
to learn anything of substance. We have more mystics around now and few
folks of substance. I had to chuckle about a new website for hams, cbers,
and folks that like to discuss *theoretical physics*?!?!

Offhand, from my observation out in the southwest corner of the
USA, there's lots and lots and lots and lots of folks who DO
expend many many "iotas" of effort to learn new things or to
keep up with changing trends. For hobby activities in electronics
there's a humongous amount of folks interested in robotics of all
kinds, a very electronics-intensive hobby...everything from
making SMT soldering ovens out of countertop toaster-ovens to
all kinds of infra-red and supersonic sensing (with accuracy)
and, of course, microprocessor programming. At least two
monthly periodicals on such things as well as the good old Nuts
and Volts magazine.

Case in point involves Neil Hecht's cute little microcontroller
frequency meter with readout that he sells out of AADE in
Seattle, WA. Very popular unit to mod any old receiver or
transmitter for accurate frequency indication. However, like
all such microcontroller-architecture units, it outputs some
stray RF that can get into receiver front ends. A fella on AOL
came up with a NON-microcontroller frequency meter in a very
small size, a conventional time-base gated counter with presets
that does the same but with much less stray RF output. Full
plans and PCBExpress data files for the three small PCBs that
hold SMD logic packages, detailed parts list, schematics, etc.
In effect, it is a fully engineered project, both electrical
and mechanical. Lots of thought went into it. There's all kinds
of that "lots of thought" project stuff out on the web if anyone
cares to look.

"Mystics?" Those have always been around...for centuries before
you and I existed. Mostly those are con-artists duping the lay
people by all kinds of "magic." I don't concern myself with those
since I recognize what they are and who the people who frequent
such places are...from curiosity looking in to some BBSs years
ago.

Right.

Perhaps we should hire a priest to sprinkle some Holy Water on the group to
fix everything LOL.

Turn the power off the group first. We don't want them with shorts.

All one needs is a scientific calculator or compooter and punch the numbers
in.

THANK THE LORD for providing humans with minds to think those
things up!!!

Funny how some folks can't even make change without a calculator. Just
punch the number into the calculator.

I have two "everyday" watches. One is a La Crosse radio watch
that sets itself to WWVB between midnight and 6 AM. Made in
China. Don't know where the engineering design came from
other than its been done for years by hobbyists and is in the
example software from PIC Microchip (freebie). Cost me all of
$30 plus change (shipping included) via e-order. The other is
a watch-calculator purchased at the Sav-On drug store chain for
$15 plus tax. I wear that one for shopping to check out totals
and tax and things. The little microprocessor inside handles
the watch functions and the four-function calculator functions
plus decoding the little "keyboard."

At home, I've got an excellent programmable scientific calculator
from HP, an HP 32S II bought at Fry's (a supermarket of consumer
electronics here in the west) for $60 plus tax. CMOS circuitry
allows the long-life batteries to keep all memories "alive" with
the last calculations. Many, many built-in functions including
conversions Metric-English, etc., plus constant storage and a
small memory for program storage. Batteries last for over five
years. Two Pi is always stored in there to 10 places for
convenience and it does do complex number arithmetic, keeping the
real and imaginary parts separate. Excellent unit! A newer
HP-33S came out in late 2004 for about $55, essentially the same
guts but a "trendy" keyboard styling I don't personally care for.

Uh, was that +i or -i ... or was that
j? Impedance? Um .... is that like series or parallel resistors? Just
punch the numbers in. I certainly hope that someone understands what they
are punching in.

I do and so do all my compadres in the electronics biz here.

If others don't know, that's their choice...but they can't say
they are "superior" to those who DO know. :-)

If someone doesn't know Z and Y but show a sincere desire to
learn, I'll try to help them learn. [if they demand I teach
them they will get an "impedance" up their I/O ports...:-) ]

Gawd, what are these things? Resistors, but how are they connected.
Someone said something about a bridge? Now what?

Ohm ohm on the range .....

...where the dits and dahs all do play...? :-)

Have a good one, Len. I'm heading to the 'fridge to get a couple of tall,
cool 807s.

Good on that...but just don't bite off the plate cap with yer teeth.

Remember: Vacuum sucks! :-)

bit bit

Old July 17th 05, 11:11 PM
Dave Heil

From: Jim Hampton on Jul 17, 3:32 pm

Funny how some folks can't even make change without a calculator. Just
punch the number into the calculator.

I have two "everyday" watches. One is a La Crosse radio watch
that sets itself to WWVB between midnight and 6 AM. Made in
China. Don't know where the engineering design came from
other than its been done for years by hobbyists and is in the
example software from PIC Microchip (freebie). Cost me all of
$30 plus change (shipping included) via e-order. The other is
a watch-calculator purchased at the Sav-On drug store chain for
$15 plus tax. I wear that one for shopping to check out totals
and tax and things. The little microprocessor inside handles
the watch functions and the four-function calculator functions
plus decoding the little "keyboard."

You change watches to go shopping? You wear a calculator watch so you
can enter each item, total the items and punch in the tax? Who knew one
could waste so much time in a supermarket?

I generally wear the same Skagen watch each day. When I've finished
shopping, the clerk scans each item. The electronic cash register keeps
track of each item and adds the proper amount of state tax if I'm here
in West Virginia. If food shopping across the river in Ohio, there is
no tax to be calculated. A printed receipt provides a detailed list of
what I've paid for each item.

It is a Brave, New World you live in, Leonard.

Dave K8MN
Old July 18th 05, 12:37 AM
Jim Hampton

ups.com...
From: Jim Hampton on Jul 17, 3:32 pm

wrote in message

[...]

"where the dits and the dahs play" .... LOL. Cute.

As to storing pi to 10 places, I don't need it. I have pi stored in the
gray matter to 100 places although I doubt I'd ever need that many places.
It took some effort, but I managed to forget some places beyond 100.

Yes, there are some folks that wish to learn; my point is that as more and
more folks opt out of learning it is only a matter of time before we become
a 3rd world country.

We are about 8th in the world for broadband penetration. We are about 12th
in the world for life expectancy.

We'd best raise the terrorist level to red for a while to distract everyone
from what is happening.

I'm not too sure, but I find a lot of what you say does make sense. I'm
sure I'll take a few shots for saying this, but I really am not too worried.

What is it you say? "temper fry"? LOL

Do have a good one, Len. I may not always agree with you, but you do have
some good points and if it takes some stirring of the pot to keep the group
thinking, so be it.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old July 18th 05, 02:29 AM

From: Jim Hampton on Jul 17, 7:37 pm

From: Jim Hampton on Jul 17, 3:32 pm
wrote in message

Hello, Len

"where the dits and the dahs play" .... LOL. Cute.

Ought to be changed to "where the dits and the dahs all play"
in order to fit the music better. :-)

As to storing pi to 10 places, I don't need it. I have pi stored in the
gray matter to 100 places although I doubt I'd ever need that many places.
It took some effort, but I managed to forget some places beyond 100.

Holy transcendentals, Batman! A "hundred places?!?"

Geez, beyond "3.14159" I never bothered...learned that back in
slide-rule days in prehistory of early 1960s...:-)

Two Pi gets the "radian frequency" which is a common calculation
in resonance, reactance, L and C values, etc. I store 10 places
(could store 12) because it doesn't take any more energy than
storing 6 places or even 3 in this little HP-32S II.

Yes, there are some folks that wish to learn; my point is that as more and
more folks opt out of learning it is only a matter of time before we become
a 3rd world country.

That, sir, will be a lonnnnnng time from now as I see it.

Wife and I picked up a new Chebby Malibu MAXX a bit over two
weeks ago. Designed and built in Detroit, MI, USA, and is a
fine, fine vehicle with all kinds of nice bells and whistles
and an excellent ride and handling characteristics. The
imports don't quite have as good a one at the same price range,
in our estimation...even if the imports were "outselling" the
USA-made brands. Chevrolet's ten-percent discount (labeled
"employee" pricing) certainly helps boost sales. We went to
Ventura for lunch the other day, driving distance about 155
miles total. Ventura has a fine marina with hundreds and
hundreds of private boats docked there, most of them a lot
heavier displacement than the "sabot" size. :-) Food was
good (thanks to regular state and federal inspections) and
the highway system was two lanes plus in either direction.
Outside air peaked at about 96 F that day but the interior
was kept comfortable through air conditioning. That wasn't
ox-cart transport...not even if we passed through Oxnard,
CA, on the return leg. "Third world?" Not yet. Not even
close.

We are about 8th in the world for broadband penetration.

Oh? Really? The Comcast cable TV to the house is digital
with over 200 video channels available...the free ones, that
is, haven't counted the pay-per-view channels which are at
least a couple dozen more. Fairly "broadband" to me. :-)
[not a speck of TVI or RFI over that digital cable TV]

We can add high-speed Internet access via Comcast but
haven't bothered yet. Same with other cable TV monopolies
in the general area. If I want a really big file download
like 10 or 20 MB, I just let it run and do something else.

We are about 12th in the world for life expectancy.

Well, that's probably true enough, but it worries me not.
We are what we got in our genes from our parents and
general ancestors. Besides, some folks appear to be
dead brain-wise anyway, so let THEM worry...! :-)

We'd best raise the terrorist level to red for a while to distract everyone
from what is happening.

Er, not quite. There's other problems (besides the geographic
bigotry and ethnic bigotry and "other" bigotry seen in here)
due to the rest of the world. Besides terrorism, that is.

One thing I've been involved with is RoHS, Reduction of
Hazardous Substances, something Yurp has been plugging for
and apparently got. NO lead in solder. Wanna see
"emergency comms" from the QC department when the stored
production boards show up with lots and lots of SHORTS?
Dendrites from tin want to grow with time if not damped,
something that USED to be damped by the lead in solder.
QC at one local company went nuts when RoHS was put into
production. More shorts than the men's department at
Target. But...everything is "lead free" and toddlers
(or 9-year-old amateur extras) won't have to worry about
sucking in evil old LEAD from today's parts. Lots and lots
of other electronics companies have been experiencing the
same problems with RoHS.

In order to compete on the world market NOW, the USA has
to comply. It's bad enough that workers here want to get
paid actual money, but add the cost of RoHS dendrite
prevention, and the USA is having a terrible problem with
being competitive. The cures for RoHS are several but an
NDA keeps me from revealing what was found.

I'm not too sure, but I find a lot of what you say does make sense.

Careful! Careful! Even HINTING that will get you in trouble
in this newsgrope full of brainwashed "traditional" hams. :-)

Some of these denizens in this din of inequity have forgotten
that electrons, fields, and waves obey their natural laws,
NOT the myths and emotionalisms of humans operating under
the "traditionalist conservative league-ist" notions.

I'm
sure I'll take a few shots for saying this, but I really am not too worried.

Way to go! Life is tough and then ya die, despite all the
titles and awards and certificates (suitable for framing) on
the walls.

What is it you say? "temper fry"? LOL

Only to those that yell out the "halls of Montezuma" thing
too much! :-)

Do have a good one, Len. I may not always agree with you, but you do have
some good points and if it takes some stirring of the pot to keep the group
thinking, so be it.

"Stir the pot?" Tsk. I am Bonded. "Shaken, not stirred!"

Excuse me, "M" just called a meeting...see ya...

bit bit

Old August 1st 05, 11:15 PM

These are the numbers of current, unexpired
amateur radio licenses held by individuals
on the stated dates, and the percentage of
the total number of active licenses that
class contains:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329 (7.3%)
Technician - 205,394 (30.4%)
Technician Plus - 128,860 (19.1%)
General - 112,677 (16.7%)
Advanced - 99,782 (14.8%)
Extra - 78,750 (11.7%)

Total Tech/TechPlus - 334,254 (49.5%)

Total all classes - 674,792

As of July 31, 2005:

Novice - 27,975 (4.2%) [decrease of 21,354]
Technician - 269,801 (40.6%) [increase of 64,407)
Technician Plus - 47,651 (7.2%) [decrease of 81,209]
General - 136,167 (20.5%) [increase of 23,490]
Advanced - 75,546 (11.4%) [decrease of 24,236]
Extra - 106,900 (16.1%) [increase of 28,150]

Total Tech/TechPlus - 317,452 (47.8%) [decrease of 16,802]

Total all classes - 664,040 (decrease of 10,752)

Note that these totals do not include licenses
that have expired but are in the grace period.

They also do not include club, military, RACES
or other station-only licenses.

Note also that effective April 15, 2000, new
Novice, Technician Plus and Advanced licenses
are no longer issued.

Since April 15, 2000, FCC has renewed all existing
Technician Plus licenses as Technician. It is therefore
informative to consider the totals of the two classes,
since the Technician class includes a significant
number of Technician Plus licenses renewed as
Technician.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 17th 05, 12:09 AM

These are the numbers of current, unexpired
amateur radio licenses held by individuals
on the stated dates, and the percentage of
the total number of active licenses that
class contains:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329 (7.3%)
Technician - 205,394 (30.4%)
Technician Plus - 128,860 (19.1%)
General - 112,677 (16.7%)
Advanced - 99,782 (14.8%)
Extra - 78,750 (11.7%)

Total Tech/TechPlus - 334,254 (49.5%)

Total all classes - 674,792

As of August 15, 2005:

Novice - 27,910 (4.2%) [decrease of 21,419]
Technician - 270,309 (40.7%) [increase of 64,915)
Technician Plus - 47,392 (7.1%) [decrease of 81,648]
General - 136,083 (20.5%) [increase of 23,406]
Advanced - 75,435 (11.4%) [decrease of 24,347]
Extra - 106,964 (16.1%) [increase of 28,214]

Total Tech/TechPlus - 317,701 (47.8%) [decrease of 16,553]

Total all classes - 664,093 (decrease of 10,699)

Old August 17th 05, 12:21 AM
John Smith

N2EY:

You should add another disclaimer to those figures, for example:

"These figures do not include expired hams!"

John

Old August 17th 05, 02:37 AM
Dee Flint

"John Smith" wrote in message
news
N2EY:

You should add another disclaimer to those figures, for example:

"These figures do not include expired hams!"

John

Actually it is most likely that they do include some expired hams. Unless a
family member has thought to send the FCC proper notice that the ham has
died, he will be carried on the current license list until his license
expires due to non-renewal.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE