Old January 5th 04, 12:41 AM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

Given that ARRL likely will lobby for continuing a code test for Amateur
Extra (12-13WPM?) applicants, I predict that Morse testing will not be
eliminated in this decade.

While it's a cop out, it's probably the only way they can get 15 politicians
to sign up for a "New Amateur Radio Plan" without a palace revolt on their
hands at the BoD meeting. They'll be able to go back to East Overshoe, Iowa
and Resume Speed, Arizona and mumble platitudes to their membership about
how "We've opened HF to non-Morse applicants, but where it really counts we
actually increased the Morse requirement."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old January 5th 04, 01:10 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
"N2EY" wrote

Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

Given that ARRL likely will lobby for continuing a code test for Amateur
Extra (12-13WPM?) applicants, I predict that Morse testing will not be
eliminated in this decade.

You mean they will increase the requirements from 5wpm?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 5th 04, 01:18 AM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007 ("minimum 4 years from date of requirement drop")
Kim: June 1, 2008

If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Put me down for July 1, 2005.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 5th 04, 03:09 AM
N2EY

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

I'm going to guestimate
that we'll see a Report and Order in December, 2004.

Carl,

Need an exact date for the pool. Dec 1? Dec 15?

Let me know and I'll put you in.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old January 5th 04, 04:23 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote

You mean they will increase the requirements from 5wpm?

I don't know if FCC will or will not, but I expect ARRL to ask for an
increase.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old January 5th 04, 02:24 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

Dec. 30, 2004

Carl - wk3c

Old January 6th 04, 02:47 AM
N2EY

Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N8UZE: July 1, 2005
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007 ("minimum 4 years from date of requirement drop")
Kim: June 1, 2008

Closest date (before or after) wins. Anyone else?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 6th 04, 02:20 PM
Alun

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in news:bte3p7
:

"N2EY" wrote in message
Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N8UZE: July 1, 2005
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007 ("minimum 4 years from date of requirement drop")
W5TIT: June 1, 2008

Closest date (before or after) wins. Anyone else?

73 de Jim, N2EY

I see we have 14 on the list and 3 are already out of the running. What do
we get if we win?

N3KIP
Old January 6th 04, 02:24 PM
Mike Coslo

"N2EY" wrote in message

[...]

Wasn't Jim going to give the winner his K2? 8^)

Maybe a J-38 key?

- Mike KB3EIA -