RadioBanter

-   -   Now That It's "Over"... (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26598-now-its-%22over%22.html)

Carl R. Stevenson July 18th 03 02:45 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

So convince the FCC that some august body of hams (elected? appointed?
approved by?) should take over setting FCC part 97 rules.

Works for me.

I believe that Bill's comment was tongue in cheek ... it won't fly, because
the FCC has a mandate and cannot abdicate its responsibilities.

Besides, if you think Congress suffers "gridlock" on contentious issues,
imagine how bad a body of hams would be ... worse than partisan politics,
for sure :-(

Carl - wk3c

Alun Palmer July 18th 03 03:36 PM

(N2EY) wrote in
om:

Alun Palmer wrote in message
. ..

Bringing the phone subbands in line with other countries in Region 2
would be sufficient

Seeing as how the USA has more hams than any other country in Region
2, why not have those other countries get their phone subbands in line
with the USA?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Because the US is only one country

Mike Coslo July 18th 03 04:12 PM

Bert Craig wrote:
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
.com...

Carl,

I'm going to do something that some might not expect me to do,
agree. I think that in the frenzy to defend CW testing, some have
tried many different angles. Not that these angles aren't correct wrt
CW itself, just not the retention of CW testing. This is where the use
of the FCC to defend the dropping of CW testing becomes almost
silly...because to be quite honest, the FCC really doesn't care all
that much about the ARS anyway and ANYTHING that'll ease the
administration over the same is more than welcome. So saying "we don't
have to do our homework because daddy says so" doesn't mean that the
homework is unimportant, it means that daddy doesn't care.

I don't agree with the analogy ... the FCC *does* care about the
Amateur Radio Service ... they just don't belive that requiring Morse
tests serves any legitimate regulatory purpose

Please stop right there. What's the hang-up with this "regulatory
purpose" stuff. I don't believe it's ALL about regulatory, it's has
something to do with a rich tradition wrt a mode that is still widely
used today. Tradition really does count for something and requiring
folks to learn the very basic level in order to pass a 5-wpm hardly
constitutes a "barrier." This is very likely how many will get their
only taste of Morse.

You would think so, but its too hard!

Neither CW or it's proponents will sell it on
it's own merits. Sad to say, but many of today's generation just don't
understand why they "have to" learn all that stuff they'll never use.

Dude! It's like such a waste of time, yaknow? I'll never be interested,
and like "Americon Idol" is on tonight!

The recent Regents fiasco is a grim reminder. Only 12 students passed
the test that was really no harder than many folks had taken in years
past. The first reaction..."the test's too hard," from both the
parents and the kids.

Of course! how is little Buffy and Adrian going to get into a good
college if they don't have the grades? S make those tests easier.

Rather than take the heat, the DOE is going to
give them an easier test. Behold the result of second generation
underachievement. I strongly disagree, Carl. I think it's a "spot-on"
analogy. It'd almost be amusing if it weren't so sad.

Carl thinks we make dum analogies.

any more (other than
complying with requirements in the ITU Radio Regs that require(d)
Morse tests for folks whose licenses granted privs in the bands
below 30 MHz ... a requirement that has ceased to exist as of
July 05, 2003 ...) (Read the quotes from their R&O again ... it's
quite clear.)

No need, the words of those who are seeking less administrative work
are hardly meaningful. Hmmm, avoiding work...some commonality.

Sadly, many have lost sight of what this was really all about. Element
1 (Domestically, that is.) Rather than investing some time and effort
to satisfy a very basic requirement that is an extremely important
part of AR tradition,

"Some time and effort" can vary widely across the spectrum of
individuals ... for some it can be easy, for others it's nearly impossible.
Just as some folks can't "carry a tune in a bucket" with respect to
singing ability, Morse involves a "mode-specific aptitude" that folks
possess (or don't) in widely varying degrees.

If by "mode-specific aptitude," you mean sitting ones you-know-what
down for 20 mins./day for a mo. and trying some good old-fashioned
study/practice, you'd have a point.

Takes longer in some cases. Took me six months of hard work. but so what?

I'll go out on a limb, and say that a person that does not have the
time to learn the material does not have the time for the hobby. Written
or Morse.

That is really what my whole argument is. I don't give a hoot if a
person uses or doesn't use Morse. I really don't. I suck at it. I've got
some physical attributes that make morse code unenjoyable for me.

But I don't like lazy people one little bit. Sorry, but I don't. And
behind all the rhetoric and bluff and bluster, in almost all cases it
boils down to laziness.

I really wish that folks would stop trying to lean on "tradition" ...
maintaining "tradition" is NOT a legitimate regulatory goal that
should drive the requirements for licensing, plain and simple.

I wish folks would stop leaning on "regulatory" as if it's ok just
because big brother says so. Especially at the 5-wpm level, puh-lease.

Wouldn't it be great if all the PCTA people would just go away?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Brian Kelly July 18th 03 04:14 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message gy.com...
"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...

Great post Bert, ya sed it all, I wish I'd written it. Your Regents
analogy was masterful. They don't have the gumption to achieve so dumb
the exams to "their" achievement level and their "problem" goes away.

w3rv

No the problem won't go away as the next generation of people will have even
lower achievement and will demand that the tests be made simpler yet.

I couldn't agree more Dee. But these are the times of politically
correct dumb downs, they're too short-sighted to see beyond today.
They want. Right now. No matter what.

Dee D. Flint, N8uZE

w3rv

Mike Coslo July 18th 03 04:19 PM

Dave Heil wrote:
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

I would have been a much more
valuable asset to the amateur community if I'd had access to HF those
years I didn't simply because of Morse ...

I share your pain, Carl. I've often thought of my wasted years, not
being in the House of Representatives.

I just cannot grasp how otherwise (presumably at least reasonably)
intelligent people can cling to insistence on the acquisition of such
a mechanical skill in such a quasi-religious fashion.

I understand your inability to grasp the situation...in a
quasi-sarcastic way.

This whole thing is making me quasi-queasy! ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 18th 03 04:25 PM

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

Next time you talk about folks "putting forth effort to achieve
a goal" think about that one. Maintaining a population of Morse
users is/seems to be YOUR goal ... it's not my job, nor the FCC's.

Not my goal!

Then bitch about it to the folks who you think DO favor phone band

expansion

and leave me (and NCI) out of that one ... it's not our agenda.

So Carl, does that mean that after they drop the Morse test here in the
Us of A, that you'll be done with the group as far as NCI goes? Your
agenda is achieved here. ;^)

Not exactly ... NCI's goal is GLOBAL ... NCI's work is not over
as soon as the US drops Morse testing ... there are a LOT of other
countries.

I know that, but this is primarily a US newsgroup, with a few others
thrown in. I doubt too many people here will be interested in the
remaining countries Morse/No Morse material.

(Though it's beginning to look like the US will, because of process,
be one of the slower ones to act on the changes adopted by
WRC-03 ... the Swiss hams have already received their letters giving
them HF privs ... the UK will reportedly act before the end of the
month ... and others are lining up ...)

It will be very interesting to watch the dominoes fall ...

Congratulations.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Carl R. Stevenson July 18th 03 07:00 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Wouldn't it be great if all the PCTA people would just go away?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Nah ... the ridiculous arguments you folks make for keeping a
Morse test requirement just make NCI's job easier :-)

(read the MO&O where the FCC blew away all of the
petitions for reconsideration of dropping the 13 and 20 wpm
tests ... :-)

Carl - wk3c

Carl R. Stevenson July 18th 03 07:02 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

I just cannot grasp how otherwise (presumably at least reasonably)
intelligent people can cling to insistence on the acquisition of such
a mechanical skill in such a quasi-religious fashion.

Maybe we're just not that smart, Carl. And you're arguing with us! Face
it, you're enjoying all this, and having a good time rubbing our nose in

it.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike,

Its really NOT my intention to "rub noses in it" ... honest ... if it comes
across that way, I apologize.

What I *am* trying to do is counter the illogical with some logic and
the political/regulatory/technical realities.

Carl - wk3c

Brian Kelly July 18th 03 07:10 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
Alun Palmer wrote in message

. ..

Bringing the phone subbands in line with other countries in Region 2

would
be sufficient

Seeing as how the USA has more hams than any other country in Region
2, why not have those other countries get their phone subbands in line
with the USA?

Because they are soverign nations with the right to regulate the use of
the radio spectrum within their jurisdictions as they see fit and according
to their needs, as long as they are not in violation of the ITU Radio
Regulations.

Because most of the rest of the world does it the same way they do
and the US is virtually alone in its sub-band by mode regulations.

Jim ... I realize that your question above was *probably* (at least
partly) tongue in cheek, but it does sort of smack of American
arrogance ... and to some of the other countries in region 2, perhaps
something approaching "Yankee imperialism."

Wrong. The fact that the FCC does not allow us to run phone as far
down the bands as the DX does shelters the DX from the U.S. hordes.
That's about as "anti Yankee Imperialism" as it gets in ham radio.

Carl - wk3c

w3rv

Carl R. Stevenson July 18th 03 07:56 PM

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Brian,

How many heads of Latin American radio regulatory agencies do you
know personally? (If the answer is "None." how can you presume to
know their likely reaction to the US trying to tell them how to do things
in their own country?)

Again, I *presume* that Jim's question was tongue in cheek.

I do know those folks and meet with them several times a year ...
they wouldn't take kindy to being ordered around in the
way that Jim jokes about above ...

Carl - wk3c

Mike Coslo July 18th 03 08:26 PM

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

I just cannot grasp how otherwise (presumably at least reasonably)
intelligent people can cling to insistence on the acquisition of such
a mechanical skill in such a quasi-religious fashion.

Maybe we're just not that smart, Carl. And you're arguing with us! Face
it, you're enjoying all this, and having a good time rubbing our nose in

it.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike,

Its really NOT my intention to "rub noses in it" ... honest ... if it comes
across that way, I apologize.

You do.

What I *am* trying to do is counter the illogical with some logic and
the political/regulatory/technical realities.

You are doomed to failure, because trying to apply logic to this is not
possible.

I look at this and I see lazy people trying to avoid an entry test that
I can't find any good reason to get rid of.

Why? I can't stand lazy people!

Is that logical? Depends on how you look at it, but probably not
logical at all. After all, is it not logical to increase ones worth
(education, toys, wealth, honors, etc.) with a minimum amount of effort?

This of course can be carried to an absurd level if we wish, but let's
not go there for the purposes of this discussion.

Now that does not mean that the other end of the argument is blessed
with logic either. Removal of a perfectly good requirement so that those
who do not wish to take it don't have to, is not logical either. Morse
code harms no one, and is arguably quite useful. The extra effort it
takes to learn it is of no consequence for anyone but an unfortunate few
who have difficulties picking it up

So what do we have? We have some people who don't like Morse code, and
we have some people who do.

No logic applies here. You will fail trying to force fit logic into
this situation. All of the PCTA people here are intelligent individuals
who just happen to enjoy Morse Code. The NCTA's are also intelligent
individuals, most of whom hate Morse code.

But they don't use logic in making that assessment, no matter how hard
they try to convince themselves that they are. We can make as many
logical statements as we like, but if the initial premise is not
logical, then it doesn't matter.

And as for political/regulatory/technical realities, we know them.
Nobody thinks that the test will be retained. They are going away.
Nothing more real than that. You win. Your illogic beat our illogic.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Carl R. Stevenson July 18th 03 11:05 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
What I *am* trying to do is counter the illogical with some logic and
the political/regulatory/technical realities.

You are doomed to failure, because trying to apply logic to this is not
possible.

I look at this and I see lazy people trying to avoid an entry test that
I can't find any good reason to get rid of.

Why? I can't stand lazy people!

I don't like *genuinely* lazy people either ... it galls me that some
of my hard-earned salary goes to welfare programs that support
the congenitally lazy. (I have NO problem with aid to those who
are genuinely, through no fault of their own, having hard times,
but for a limited period of time, not as a "career.")

But the characterization of all (even most) of the folks who aren't
interested in "jumping through the Morse hoop" is inaccurate and
unfair.

No logic applies here. You will fail trying to force fit logic into
this situation. All of the PCTA people here are intelligent individuals
who just happen to enjoy Morse Code.

For the most part, yes, but how do you explain Bruce?

The NCTA's are also intelligent individuals, most of whom hate
Morse code.

It's not really that I "hate Morse" ...what I *hate* is the fact that
(because)
I ... and others ... have NO interest in EVER using it again, let alone in
becoming proficient at 20 wpm or more, folks tell me ... and others ...
that I am/we are an inferior ham(s) and will NEVER amount to anything
because of that simple reality (ignoring any and all other skills,
knowledge,
or attributes I ... or others ... may have that *could* make me ... or
others ... valuable contributors to the amateur community. THAT's what
I hate and what really gripes my ass.

But they don't use logic in making that assessment, no matter how hard
they try to convince themselves that they are. We can make as many
logical statements as we like, but if the initial premise is not
logical, then it doesn't matter.

I don't understand how you can assert that it is not logical for
someone to resist an unnecessary, unjusitifiable requirement
that is imposed on them to gain privileges that have nothing to
do with the requirement. And to resist/resent being treated
as a lesser ham/person for it ...

I do, however, understand that it is NOT logical for folks to
presume that they can insist on forcing such a requirement on
the folks refered to in the previous paragraph and not expect
them to complain and resist.

At least for US hams, this is America ... where everyone is
supposed to be free to do as they please as long as they don't
harm others or infringe upon their rights in some way ... the fact
that *I* don't want to do Morse doesn't infringe on your right
to *do* Morse ...

And as for political/regulatory/technical realities, we know them.
Nobody thinks that the test will be retained. They are going away.
Nothing more real than that. You win. Your illogic beat our illogic.

No, our logic beat your illogic ... no gloating ... we worked hard for
it ... our arguments won out in the LOGICAL, well-considered
evaluations of the governments of the world.

Carl - wk3c

Brian July 19th 03 12:13 AM

(N2EY) wrote in message ...

The point is that the mere fact that FCC enacts a rule does not mean it's a
good idea, or in the best interest of amateur radio. All it means is that FCC
enacted the rule.

Was the 55 mph national speed limit a good idea, in the best interests of the
motoring public? The "expert agency" recommended that rule, and it stayed on
the books for decades.

Beats going to war for oil every 10 years or so.

Between raising the speed limit and dropping the EPA fleet mileage
requirements, I'd say we worked ourselved into a corner.

"Would you like to biggie size that?"

Brian July 19th 03 12:22 AM

(N2EY) wrote in message . com...
(Brian) wrote in message . com...
(N2EY) wrote in message . com...
(Brian) wrote in message om...
(N2EY) wrote in message om...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
there is nothing "magical" about Morse
and the insistence on using "wetware" instead of software to do the
decoding is an anomaly of ham radio.

And you say you're not against the use of the mode, just the test, Carl?
;-)

That's correct... I am NOT against the use of the mode.

Maybe. But the way you write about the mode makes me wonder. For
example, when you call those who use the mode "beepers" and other
disparaging names, a different image is projected by you.

Kelley refers to himself as a "beepist."

Where? You are mistaken. AC6XG hasn't posted here in quite some time,
and I've never seen him refer to himself that way.

Is Kelley against Morse/CW use?

Nope. I've worked AC6XG at least twice, both times on CW. Once was on
Field Day (20 CW) and the other on the rrap net on 7037 kHz.

Ahhh. Applying the old Dave Heil "I'm gonna be obtuse" tactic?

I'll think about answering your questions after you answer mine about
your alleged /T5 operation.

Poor Jimmy, gotsta resort to tricks.

The only Kelley I know is AC6XG.

Is there anyone else here who has referred to hisself as a "beepist?"

I'll think about answering your questions after you answer mine about
your alleged /T5 operation.

Like Dave, we have nothing to say to each other, but you still keep trying.

Sayonara, Brian

Brian July 19th 03 12:36 AM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
Nope. I've worked AC6XG at least twice, both times on CW. Once was on
Field Day (20 CW) and the other on the rrap net on 7037 kHz.

The rrap net on 7030 kHz???

Is that where you PCTAs send "secret messages," safe from the
prying eyes/ears of the no-coders??? :-)

Sheesh ...

Carl - wk3c

Carl, about 3 years ago the PCTA coerced Cecil to come out and play
with them on CW. Maybe he thought it would smooth over some of the
animosity they had for him. I don't know. It was reported that "A
good time was had by all," but the honeymoon lasted only a short
while, then they treated him as crappily as ever.

More recently, the PCTA have again tried to coerce their enemies to
the amateur bands using, of all things, phone. I'm not sure how that
one turned out, but I took a lot of grief for refusing to do so. I
think their peace pipe was loaded with date rape drugs.

Even more recently, RV Kelley challenged another poster to meet him on
the bands "anywhere, any time." I asked if that's how 14.313 got
started.

No good can come from meeting these guys on the air. No point in
screwing up another frequency like 3950.

73, bb

Brian July 19th 03 12:48 AM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Wouldn't it be great if all the PCTA people would just go away?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Nah ... the ridiculous arguments you folks make for keeping a
Morse test requirement just make NCI's job easier :-)

(read the MO&O where the FCC blew away all of the
petitions for reconsideration of dropping the 13 and 20 wpm
tests ... :-)

Carl - wk3c

Carl, go easy on them - it's all they had. Logic just wasn't on their
side.

What would make the transition nicer is to lose all the sour grapes.
Not only haven't these boys learned logic, but good sportsmanship is
lost on them as well. Reminds me of the time the Republicans reformed
welfare.

73, Brian

Brian July 19th 03 01:00 AM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

As to how "important" Morse is ... YMMV ... to some it is
the "be all and end all" of ham radio ... to others it is of no
importance whatsoever ... from the FCC's decisions, it's
clear that, while there was a time when Morse was important,
that time ended long ago and the FCC no longer views Morse
as important in terms of licensing requirements.

Carl:

The above statement can be objectively evaluated only in the
context of future ARRL initiatives and FCC actions regarding
amateur HF sub-band mode authorizations. Once code testing
is finally abolished in the US amateur licensing process, it will
be much easier to re-allocate more spectrum to phone modes, to
the detriment of CW -- and I rather suspect that's precisely what
will happen.

I will be there beside you (figuratively), opposing expansion of the
phone bands ... with ONE *possible* exception. With the realignment
of 40m and broadcasting, we will have 7000-7200 exclusive in all
3 regions. It would seem equitable, given the structure of the other
bands, where the CW/data segments and the phone segments are
pretty equal, to shift the phone band lower limit from 7150 (Extra)
down to 7100 ...since the upper 100 kHz from 7200-7300 will
still be trashed by SW broadcast. This is the ONLY *possible*
situation that I can envision where I would consider supporting an
expansion of HF phone bands.

This is my *personal* comment and NOT "NCI policy" ...

Carl - wk3c

Had Larry included "digital" with his cry to preserve CW spectrum, I
would figuratively stand with the both of you as well.

As it stands, all spectrum except the new 5MHz channels are CW
capable. Is it really necessary to keep that much of it CW exclusive?

Personally, I think the amateur bands should be aligned worlwide, with
respect to not only frequency, but also mode. If the DX doesn't want
to come out and play with Americans or anyone else, I'm sure some
other jet-setting hams, dept of state, or UN experts will be happy to
fill in the voids for a couple of IRCs or greenstamps.

ditto personal opinion deniability

73, Brian

Bill Sohl July 19th 03 02:55 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

(But, as I and others have previously said, the decision should
NOT be based on a popularity contest in the community of
incumbents, but should, rather, be based on the sound judgement
of the FCC as to what's regulatorily necessary and good for the
future of ham radio.)

The FCC is not all that qualified to judge what is good for the

future
of ham radio.

Then who is?

The hams are the most qualified to judge what is good for the future of
ham radio.

So convince the FCC that some august body of hams (elected? appointed?
approved by?) should take over setting FCC part 97 rules.

Works for me.

But we both know the concept is bogus.

However, FCC involvement is need because the hams will ignore the
needs of other services just as the other services ignore the needs of
hams. It's a balancing act and the FCC is the juggler.

So you are then saying the FCC should NOT make any
rules regarding operation within ham bands that don't have
any interfernece issues related to them...such as
band segments for phone vs data, etc. morse test
requirements, etc.?

Nope. Not at all.

The point is that the mere fact that FCC enacts a rule does not mean it's

good idea, or in the best interest of amateur radio. All it means is that

FCC
enacted the rule.

The original point made was a claim that the FCC doesn't
make rules at all that might be judged as being favorable
or unfavorable for ham radio. Clearly a specific rule may
be detrimental...but that doesn't mean the FCC didn't
or wouldn't weigh its need or benefit in light of what
it does for ham radio.

Was the 55 mph national speed limit a good idea, in the best interests of

the
motoring public? The "expert agency" recommended that rule, and it stayed

on
the books for decades.

Actually, the 55 was the brainchild (I'd call it a nightmare)
of a NJ reprentative who is now deceased. The problem was
the 55 limit had no "sunshine" aspect and that resulted in congress
getting tied up as being anti-safety by the insurance industry
who wanted the 55 limit.

The reality, however, is that the FCC is the determining body.

Many of the staff are not involved in ham radio. They are a
government body whose purpose is to regulate the various radio
services so that they can coexist.

That's only part of their purpose.

What's the rest?

Others include need for the service, use, benefit of
the service to the public good, etc.
IF ham radio users truly began to dwindle, do you
doubt that the FCC would consider dropping ham radio
as a service even though there was no coexistence problem?

Read up on the history of the FCC. They were established to regulate

the
various services so all could operate with minimal interference. If

there
had been no conflicts among the various users of the radio spectrum,

there
would have been no FCC (see the book "200 Meters and Down").

That is so patently obvious...it does not,
however, prove or make any suggestion that the FCC
today does not consider rules as being beneficial or not
to ham radio service.

The point is that while they consider the beneficial aspect, they are not

all
powerful, nor necessarily even that friendly to what is best for amateur

radio.
IOW they're stuck with us and we're stuck with them.

I never said otherwise. My comment was directed at the concept that
the FCC "only" makes decisions based on interference based
issues. You agree that the FCC can and does consider the
beneficial aspect to a service...even if that decision may be
detrimental.

There purpose is not to maintain ham radio or decide
what is good for it.

I would argue that these are also part of FCC goals
for ham radio or any other service.

Those goals are not necessarily what's best for amateur radio. Was the
re-imposition of "incentive licensing" in 1968 what was best for amateur

radio?
FCC (NOT hams!) insisted on it because they said amateur radio of those

days
was not meeting the goals FCC thought it should.

Again, I never claimed every decision was or had to be judged
by the FCC as being beneficial.

As stated above read up on the early years of radio and the

establishment
of the FCC.

And its predecessors, the FRC, DOC and Navy Department. Not pretty.

The initial purpose of the FCC derived from interference
mitigation.

Not just that - also deciding how to best apportion the spectrum, license
requirements, allowable uses of the spectrum, monitoring and enforcement.
Indeed, FCC defines what the various services are for! F'rinstance, once

upon a
time, hams broadcasting music was not illegal.

The charter of the FCC does not, however,
forclose consideration of what is or isn't beneficial for any
individual service.

No, it doesn't. Doesn't mean that the FCC always does what's best for

hams.
Doesn't mean FCC always makes the best choice or compromise, either.

We are in violent agreement on that :-)

We were very lucky that ham radio was allowed to continue to exist
since the commercial and military interests wanted us gone. It was

only
by
intense lobbying on the part of the hams that we managed to stay in

there.

All of which happened about 80+ years ago.

Not all. Look at the changes of 1929 - less than 75 years ago.

Pickey, pickey...so I was off by 5 years or so.

Again, bottom line...FCC does the deciding.

Yes I certainly agree they do the deciding.

Which makes all this discussion rather academic.

Not at all. Hopefully, FCC decisions can be influenced for a better future

for
amateur radio.

The ability to influence those decisions is the same today as
it was in the past. that's what the public input process
is all about.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Bill Sohl July 19th 03 03:00 AM

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote in message

The point is that the mere fact that FCC enacts a rule does not mean

it's a
good idea, or in the best interest of amateur radio. All it means is

that FCC
enacted the rule.

Was the 55 mph national speed limit a good idea, in the best interests

of the
motoring public? The "expert agency" recommended that rule, and it

stayed on
the books for decades.

Beats going to war for oil every 10 years or so.

It was a dumb rule.

Between raising the speed limit and dropping the EPA fleet mileage
requirements, I'd say we worked ourselved into a corner.

My Chevy silverado get the same gas mileage today as my
64 Chevy convertible did...about 17mpg. My truck
probably weighs 150% of what the 64 chevy did.

Frankly, "I can't drive 55." Hey, that'd be
a great song title :-)

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

"Would you like to biggie size that?"

Larry Roll K3LT July 19th 03 04:04 AM

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

[...]

I agree.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT July 19th 03 04:04 AM

In article ,
(Brian) writes:

Had Larry included "digital" with his cry to preserve CW spectrum, I
would figuratively stand with the both of you as well.

Brian:

I'm all for expanding digital allocations, but I'd take it out of the SSB
side!

As it stands, all spectrum except the new 5MHz channels are CW
capable. Is it really necessary to keep that much of it CW exclusive?

How much spectrum is exclusively CW now? Not that terribly much.
I just don't want any of it given over to phone operation, which would
automatically cause it to become an extension of the existing phone
wasteland.

Personally, I think the amateur bands should be aligned worlwide, with
respect to not only frequency, but also mode.

Good luck.

If the DX doesn't want
to come out and play with Americans or anyone else, I'm sure some
other jet-setting hams, dept of state, or UN experts will be happy to
fill in the voids for a couple of IRCs or greenstamps.

Why would the DX *not* want to "come out and play with Americans?"
If they didn't they'd only be hurting themselves.

ditto personal opinion deniability

I never deny responsibility for my personal opinions. When I "speak" here,
I'm always giving my personal opinions, and not those of my employer,
or the members of any organization to which I may belong. That is
understood, unless I specifically state that I am speaking as a member of
the ARRL or whatever. This goes for you and everyone else in this NG.
Such disclaimers are unnecessary and are usually given as a self-serving
ego stroke.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Dave Heil July 19th 03 04:22 AM

Brian wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Brian wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Brian wrote:

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ wrote in message

...provides an opportunity for ops on six meters. I've observed the
phenomenon before. Your're in New York. You point your beam north and
you start hearing somebody in Florida. You figure you're hearing him
off the back of the beam and turn it south to bring up the signal,
only to have it disappear.

Much of this activity happens on CW. Voice signals get distorted a lot
due to the effects of all the ionization in the aurora itself.

John, though 6M is worth mentioning, it isn't HF and these guys don't
care. Its all about using fast CW on HF (to them). Brian

How do you manage to be wrong so often, Brian? I worked about forty
Europeans on 6m this past week. About half of those QSOs were made on
CW. About half of the CW QSOs were made using relatively slow speeds.
Those contacts were not made using Aurora. Had they been, all of the
QSOs would have been made using slow CW.

Were any of them French?

Look it up in my online logs after you've finished eating your words on
6m, Brian.

Dave K8MN

Oh, my! Another guy who can't answer a simple question.

You didn't bother to respond to my corrections of your erroneous 6m
comments and yet you want me to respond to mere blather?

Dave K8MN

Brian Kelly July 19th 03 04:38 AM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...

Jim ... I realize that your question above was *probably* (at least
partly) tongue in cheek, but it does sort of smack of American
arrogance ... and to some of the other countries in region 2, perhaps
something approaching "Yankee imperialism."

Wrong. The fact that the FCC does not allow us to run phone as far
down the bands as the DX does shelters the DX from the U.S. hordes.
That's about as "anti Yankee Imperialism" as it gets in ham radio.

Brian,

How many heads of Latin American radio regulatory agencies do you
know personally? (If the answer is "None." how can you presume to
know their likely reaction to the US trying to tell them how to do things
in their own country?)

I don't think I need to know them to come to the obvious answer.

Again, I *presume* that Jim's question was tongue in cheek.
I do know those folks and meet with them several times a year ...
they wouldn't take kindy to being ordered around in the
way that Jim jokes about above ...

I guess. Something maybe. Maybe not.

Moving along here my personal bottom line without knowing a soul below
the border except those I've met on the air: I strongly (VERY
strongly) support retention of the existing xx.150 lower phone band
limits particularly on 20 & 40 primarily because (1) I for one am sick
of the Gringo/Ugly American crappola we've managed to take to the
level of a fine art, the buck needs to stop here at least in ham radio
(2) Downward expansion of the U.S. phone bands would immediately shove
the DX phone ops farther down the band (which they can do with a flick
of the wrist) to get away from U.S. QRM and into the space
traditionally used for CW and digital operations globally. Net gain
for the U.S. phonies comes up zip as far as being able to force
(OhYeah, that's the real agenda) the DX to hear them and the CW and
digital types get screwed (also globally) with orders of magnitudes
more DX SSB QRM than we have now.

Carl - wk3c

w3rv

#!^%#!(*)fuggemall^^3

Brian July 19th 03 02:05 PM

Dave Heil wrote in message ...

You didn't bother to respond to my corrections of your erroneous 6m
comments and yet you want me to respond to mere blather?

Dave K8MN

Dave, respond only if it gives purpose and meaning to your life.

bb

Brian July 19th 03 02:12 PM

ospam (Larry Roll K3LT) wrote in message ...

Why would the DX *not* want to "come out and play with Americans?"
If they didn't they'd only be hurting themselves.

I don't know. Kelley seems to think they need a place to hide from the Americans.

ditto personal opinion deniability

I never deny responsibility for my personal opinions. When I "speak" here,
I'm always giving my personal opinions, and not those of my employer,
or the members of any organization to which I may belong. That is
understood, unless I specifically state that I am speaking as a member of
the ARRL or whatever. This goes for you and everyone else in this NG.
Such disclaimers are unnecessary and are usually given as a self-serving
ego stroke.

73 de Larry, K3LT

My ego wasn't boosted by it.

N2EY July 19th 03 11:21 PM

In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

So convince the FCC that some august body of hams (elected? appointed?
approved by?) should take over setting FCC part 97 rules.

Works for me.

But we both know the concept is bogus.

Not entirely. FCC has turned over testing and test development to hams, yet
retains supervisory control. Or look at repeater coordination - hams determine
the coordination, and FCC enforces their decisions!

[...]

That much I agree with. But it's also true that just because FCC does something
is no guarantee that the something is good for the ARS.

Was the 55 mph national speed limit a good idea, in the best interests of
the motoring public? The "expert agency" recommended that rule, and it
stayed on the books for decades.

Actually, the 55 was the brainchild (I'd call it a nightmare)
of a NJ reprentative who is now deceased. The problem was
the 55 limit had no "sunshine" aspect and that resulted in congress
getting tied up as being anti-safety by the insurance industry
who wanted the 55 limit.

Doesn't matter - the point is that the "expert agency" enacted it for one
reason and kept it for another, even though many if not most of those affected
thought it was a bad idea.

The reality, however, is that the FCC is the determining body.

Many of the staff are not involved in ham radio. They are a
government body whose purpose is to regulate the various radio
services so that they can coexist.

That's only part of their purpose.

What's the rest?

Others include need for the service, use, benefit of
the service to the public good, etc.
IF ham radio users truly began to dwindle, do you
doubt that the FCC would consider dropping ham radio
as a service even though there was no coexistence problem?

It would take a lot of dwindling. And that's not happening - amateur radio in
the USA is not only growing, but it's growing faster than the population.

We were very lucky that ham radio was allowed to continue to exist
since the commercial and military interests wanted us gone. It was
only by
intense lobbying on the part of the hams that we managed to stay in
there.

All of which happened about 80+ years ago.

Not all. Look at the changes of 1929 - less than 75 years ago.

Pickey, pickey...so I was off by 5 years or so.

The point is that the threats are more recent. Lookit BPL - that's today.

Again, bottom line...FCC does the deciding.

Yes I certainly agree they do the deciding.

Which makes all this discussion rather academic.

Not at all. Hopefully, FCC decisions can be influenced for a better future
for amateur radio.

The ability to influence those decisions is the same today as
it was in the past. that's what the public input process
is all about.

'zactly. But all too few hams take a part in it. Look at the restructuring NPRM
- 675,000 hams, less than 2300 comments.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dwight Stewart July 20th 03 12:30 AM

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote:

Now let's look at that phrase "pool of trained
radio operators" Dee. The vagueness of that
can create some issues, such as what type of
training???

Being able to handle message traffic, would be
an extremely important detail in training IMHO.
How many people can formulate a formal
message gram?? Even though I am one of those
low-life code free techs, I still can.

Since our purpose is clear, I don't see that vagueness. For example, one
primary purpose is to provide emergency communications. Skills are obviously
needed to do that. However, the served agency establishes which skills, not
the FCC (one reason the FCC does not require specific training in emergency
communications). For example, if a person volunteers to work with the Red
Cross, the person needs to know or learn the skills that agency is seeking.
If that agency does not handle message traffic or formulate message-grams,
those skills are entirely worthless. Therefore, it would be a waste to train
all operator in those skills (again, one reason the FCC does not require
such training).

If you look at each purpose in the same manner, very little vagueness
really exists.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

N2EY July 20th 03 03:22 AM

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Mike Coslo

writes:

I would propose that "200 Meters and Down" be required reading and have
a few questions on the tests!

While "200" is very good, it stops in 1936. I would recommend the

following:

- "Calling CQ" by Clinton B. Desoto, W1CBD, available for free download as
a PDF file. May be around as a printed book. Stories of 1920s and 1930s
amateur radio.

- "The Wayback Machine" by Bill Continelli, W2XOY, available for free
download
or for viewing on a website. Multichapter history of amateur radio from
the earliest days to the present.

As entertaining depicitions of the history of ham radio, these may be GREAT
works.

Have you read any of them?

As "models for the future," I think we need to look more forward than
backward.

Sure. But we need to know the background to knwo how we got where we are, and
how to avoid mistakes made in the past.

While I admit that history can be valuable in terms of learning
from past mistakes, so as to avoid similar mistakes in the future, I think
leaning on past events/conditions/etc. too heavily and trying to "keep
things
as they were in 'the good old days' " is a BIG mistake ... a mistake that
too many of us are inclined to make.

I disagree. It's not a mistake to keep certain values. Like old-fashioned
manners, courtesy and respect on the air. But there's no good test for that!

--

And while we're on the subject of the future - what's YOUR vision for the
future? Besides getting rid of the code test?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo July 20th 03 03:23 AM

N2EY wrote:
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
.com...

Alun Palmer wrote in message

Bringing the phone subbands in line with other countries in Region 2

would

be sufficient

Seeing as how the USA has more hams than any other country in Region
2, why not have those other countries get their phone subbands in line
with the USA?

Because they are soverign nations with the right to regulate the use of
the radio spectrum within their jurisdictions as they see fit and according
to their needs, as long as they are not in violation of the ITU Radio
Regulations.

That's not a reason, just a fact.

Because most of the rest of the world does it the same way they do
and the US is virtually alone in its sub-band by mode regulations.

We were talking about Region 2.

Jim ... I realize that your question above was *probably* (at least
partly) tongue in cheek, but it does sort of smack of American
arrogance ... and to some of the other countries in region 2, perhaps
something approaching "Yankee imperialism."

What about anti-American arrogance?

I think you completely misread what I was saying. Wasn't tongue in cheek at
all, just an opposing idea. Nowhere do I suggest that any sort of coercion be
applied to other countries - why do you read that into my words?

As I recall, the person suggesting that we align ourselves to the rest
of the world's standards was from another country. When Jim retorted,
he was accused of American arrogance. Ohhhhkkkkay, then what was the
first suggestion? Logic? Something that wasn't arrogance, suggested by
someone else, but arrogance if an American suggests it?

Simply Wrong, Carl!

The fact of the matter is that the reason we have limited 'phone bands here in
the USA is twofold: One, to give the DX a place to operate 'phone without
having to deal with Yankee pileups every time they try to operate when the band
is open, and two, to give US hams an incentive to use modes other than 'phone.
Both are good ideas.

Very good ideas, and if the rest of the world would want to adopt
something like this, it could be cool (not even a suggestion, just a
"hey folks, look what we do")

- Mike KB3EIA -

Bill Sohl July 20th 03 05:00 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

So convince the FCC that some august body of hams (elected? appointed?
approved by?) should take over setting FCC part 97 rules.

Works for me.

But we both know the concept is bogus.

Not entirely. FCC has turned over testing and test development to hams,

yet
retains supervisory control. Or look at repeater coordination - hams

determine
the coordination, and FCC enforces their decisions!

But the FCC still sets the regulations.

[...]

Agreed.

Was the 55 mph national speed limit a good idea, in the best interests

of
the motoring public? The "expert agency" recommended that rule, and it
stayed on the books for decades.

Actually, the 55 was the brainchild (I'd call it a nightmare)
of a NJ reprentative who is now deceased. The problem was
the 55 limit had no "sunshine" aspect and that resulted in congress
getting tied up as being anti-safety by the insurance industry
who wanted the 55 limit.

Doesn't matter - the point is that the "expert agency" enacted it for one
reason and kept it for another, even though many if not most of those

affected
thought it was a bad idea.

There was NO expert agecy involved at all. The NJ rep was a memeber
of congress (house of representatives). I would certainly NOT
call the house an "expert agency."... would you?

The reality, however, is that the FCC is the determining body.

Many of the staff are not involved in ham radio. They are a
government body whose purpose is to regulate the various radio
services so that they can coexist.

That's only part of their purpose.

What's the rest?

Others include need for the service, use, benefit of
the service to the public good, etc.
IF ham radio users truly began to dwindle, do you
doubt that the FCC would consider dropping ham radio
as a service even though there was no coexistence problem?

It would take a lot of dwindling. And that's not happening - amateur radio

in
the USA is not only growing, but it's growing faster than the population.

I agree...my hypothetical was just
a discussion point.

We were very lucky that ham radio was allowed to continue to exist
since the commercial and military interests wanted us gone. It was
only by
intense lobbying on the part of the hams that we managed to stay in
there.

All of which happened about 80+ years ago.

Not all. Look at the changes of 1929 - less than 75 years ago.

Pickey, pickey...so I was off by 5 years or so.

The point is that the threats are more recent. Lookit BPL - that's today.

BPL isn't however, a desire for another service
to get rid of hams. I agree BPL is a major threat
to all of us, but for different reasons.

Again, bottom line...FCC does the deciding.

Yes I certainly agree they do the deciding.

Which makes all this discussion rather academic.

Not at all. Hopefully, FCC decisions can be influenced for a better

future
for amateur radio.

The ability to influence those decisions is the same today as
it was in the past. that's what the public input process
is all about.

'zactly. But all too few hams take a part in it. Look at the restructuring

NPRM
- 675,000 hams, less than 2300 comments.

But not filling comments doesn't mean all hams
haven't looked at a proposed rule and simpy
said to themselves....OK by me for this one and
not filed a comment at all.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Dwight Stewart July 20th 03 06:11 AM

"N2EY" wrote:

(snip) I disagree. It's not a mistake to keep
certain values. Like old-fashioned manners,
courtesy and respect on the air. But there's
no good test for that!

I absolutely agree, Jim. Things are not necessarily bad simply because
they're old-fashioned. There are many old-fashioned ideals that could
clearly help this country be much better place to live if continued today.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Kim W5TIT July 20th 03 02:24 PM

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
"N2EY" wrote:

(snip) I disagree. It's not a mistake to keep
certain values. Like old-fashioned manners,
courtesy and respect on the air. But there's
no good test for that!

I absolutely agree, Jim. Things are not necessarily bad simply because
they're old-fashioned. There are many old-fashioned ideals that could
clearly help this country be much better place to live if continued today.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Actually, the good test for good manners and courtesy and respect on the
air, is the acid test. Every person I have witnessed being in the class the
majority calls an "idiot" operator, has soon disappeared from the FM side of
ham radio. They get tired of "being encouraged" to talk right, operate
right, etc., or they get tired of being ignored. Guess where some have
disappeared to?

You got it: HF. They can have a lot more anonymity there, and they have
less chance of running into the same people over and over again.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to

William H. O'Hara, III July 20th 03 03:28 PM

Kim,

I don't think that you mentioned the
only practical use for CW, today. In
an emergency operation one can use CW
almost as a cipher. If Newsreporters, whom
possess "investigative skills", were to
attempt their intercepts by a scanner,
then they would simply have no
comprehension.

At a EMA ARES training session, the
one of the ARES officials told us
that CW should be considered for
passing of vital information solely
to keep the opsec tight.

Opsec happens to mean Operation Security.
I guess that everyone loves Delta
Force and the terms endeared by SFOD-1D.

At the Boston Marathon I was given
a code key for authentication purposes.

Bill
KB1IUB

Kim W5TIT July 20th 03 06:07 PM

"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote in message
.61...
Kim,

I don't think that you mentioned the
only practical use for CW, today. In
an emergency operation one can use CW
almost as a cipher. If Newsreporters, whom
possess "investigative skills", were to
attempt their intercepts by a scanner,
then they would simply have no
comprehension.

With all due respect, William (or is it Bill), seems that deliberately
coding/encrypting on the amateur bands is contrary to the R&R, if ya know
what I mean. And, it also seems to me that any reporter with really good
investigative skills would be well aware of your scenario, above.

However, CW is definitely a practical skill, and a needed one, in EmCom.
I've never, ever disputed that. And, I encouraged openings and training for
CW whenever I have been in a position of leadership in the EmCom world.
I've also encouraged and trained with openings to HF, etc. The only thing
we never were able to accommodate is SSTV and ATV. We had every other
check-in. We would call from FM (2M *AND* 70cm) to the net participants we
knew had HF points. They would call to all net participants on all bands we
could cover at any particular training net; then those individuals would
relay to CW for any CW net participants. Then it would all be relayed back
into the 2M/70cm nets. What would have happened "in an actual emergency"
(GRIN), was all FM operations would have then become tactical with local
Emergency Services; and we--as amateur radio operators--would "set up" the
rest of the operations, as needed, for net operations.

The goal was to have all H&W set up and operating via relay (on different
freqs than the local operation freqs) from FM to HF/CW capability. We also
had PSK ops in that arena. For "relief" portions of the net (those ops that
would be looking for food and refreshment, extra batteries, more equipment,
more cars, chainsaws...what-have-you) was relayed from FM to FM capable hams
that also had FRS/GMRS, etc. They would relay those ops needs out to
non-hams (we called it the auxilliary service) and that included, by the
way, anyone who needed babysitters, animals fed, home needs. It was our
desire to have as much of the community/families involved as we
could--regardless of their amateur radio license status.

At a EMA ARES training session, the
one of the ARES officials told us
that CW should be considered for
passing of vital information solely
to keep the opsec tight.

I understand the concept, and I know that in an emergency the R&R may very
well go out the window--as you know, all that is debatable. BUT, that
given, there are ways to handle sensitive information by using other means
than CW; although CW is a fine choice also!

Opsec happens to mean Operation Security.
I guess that everyone loves Delta
Force and the terms endeared by SFOD-1D.

We were "aware" of any lingo that might be used by our served agencies (that
was also done and learned by actually visiting the served agencies and
seeing/learning how they operate). However, on the support ops part of the
net--we didn't get into using all that fancy stuff, we pretty much used
plain language.

At the Boston Marathon I was given
a code key for authentication purposes.

Bill
KB1IUB

Uh, you mean strictly to "please" some public service official, or because
you actually used it? Honest question.

Kim W5TIT

---

Dan/W4NTI July 20th 03 11:02 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote in message
.61...
Kim,

I don't think that you mentioned the
only practical use for CW, today. In
an emergency operation one can use CW
almost as a cipher. If Newsreporters, whom
possess "investigative skills", were to
attempt their intercepts by a scanner,
then they would simply have no
comprehension.

With all due respect, William (or is it Bill), seems that deliberately
coding/encrypting on the amateur bands is contrary to the R&R, if ya know
what I mean. And, it also seems to me that any reporter with really good
investigative skills would be well aware of your scenario, above.

Now Ive heard everything. CW is now a method of encryption. Oh good grief.

That is a first. I never thought Id live so long as to see so much idiocy
about the Morse Code. Unbelievable

Dan/W4NTI

Brian July 20th 03 11:24 PM

"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote in message . 3.61...
Kim,

I don't think that you mentioned the
only practical use for CW, today. In
an emergency operation one can use CW
almost as a cipher. If Newsreporters, whom
possess "investigative skills", were to
attempt their intercepts by a scanner,
then they would simply have no
comprehension.

At a EMA ARES training session, the
one of the ARES officials told us
that CW should be considered for
passing of vital information solely
to keep the opsec tight.

Opsec happens to mean Operation Security.
I guess that everyone loves Delta
Force and the terms endeared by SFOD-1D.

At the Boston Marathon I was given
a code key for authentication purposes.

Bill
KB1IUB

Bill, then there's COMSEC and MILSPEC. ;^) Brian

Brian July 20th 03 11:40 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message ...
"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

NOdoudaboudit!

Oh, hey, Dick! I still missed the intelligent response you were going to
post...or that I thought you were capable of posting, anyway. Did you post
it yet?

Kim W5TIT

Kim, you are forever the optimist. I've been reading his posts since
about '95, and he hasn't come up with one yet. I'm not so sure if
he's incapable, or if he's worried that he'll taint that "Stubborn
Missouri Mule" image that he's developed over the years and tears. In
any case, he just ain't right.

Brian

N2EY July 21st 03 03:21 AM

In article m, "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

Actually the biggest problem is lack of activity by the current hams.

Agreed!

If we
take the figure of 600,000+ hams and calculate the number of QSOs per day if
each one had one QSO per YEAR (assume it takes two hams for a qso), thats
300,000 exchanges per year or nearly 1000 per day. That would keep the
bands pretty busy.

Whoa, hold on a sec, Dee.

Let's look at that 1000 QSOs/day. Say a QSO lasts a half-hour on average -
that's 500 QSO-hours per day. Or, to put it another way, there would be about
21 QSOs going on at any one time.

Now if we just consider the bands 160 through 70 cm., we have 13 bands. Might
work out to one QSO on each HF/MF band and three QSOs each on 6, 2, 222 and 70
cm. Hardly enough to keep the bands pretty busy!

If you meant to say "one QSO per DAY", then things are much different.

But instead we hear the same people over and over on the
VHF and HF frequencies. We have 150 members or so in our club and I only
hear about a dozen on the repeater regularly. It's the same dozen that do
VHF simplex and SSB. We need to get those already licensed more involved.

Agreed!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Ryan, KC8PMX July 21st 03 04:28 AM

There is a little bit over 50Mhz of frequencies they could do alot with
there, and I almost would accept the loss of those bands if and only if we
had a guarantee that the rest of our bands will never be altered again.
What the hell, we sure aren't doing much with those bands as a hobby as a
whole.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)
"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

220Mhz, 902Mhz, and 1.2Ghz bands are desolate, at least around here. I
wouldn't be surprised if we lost the 220 and 902 bands.

Ryan:

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right! The "commercial interests"

obviously
have little or no use for HF, otherwise we'd have never even heard of BPL.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Dwight Stewart July 21st 03 07:50 AM

"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote:

Opsec happens to mean Operation Security.
I guess that everyone loves Delta
Force and the terms endeared by SFOD-1D.

The acronym "OPSEC" has been around for many decades - long before Delta
Force or whatever. I first heard it from my father when I was just a young
child. And I've seen the acronym in very old books about WWII.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/