RadioBanter

-   -   Now That It's "Over"... (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26598-now-its-%22over%22.html)

Brian July 11th 03 05:58 PM

(N2EY) wrote in message ...
In article , JJ
writes:

N2EY wrote:

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate CW?
There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do you
operate them all?

No - do you?

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes.

I agree!

And I certainly do not
look down my nose and take a superior attitude toward those who
might choose to limit their operating to one mode like others here
on the group.

You mean like the folks who look down their noses at me because I operate
mostly CW?

Who does that?

What most find irritable about you is that you insist that they learn
your favorite mode, not that you use it.

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 11th 03 08:45 PM

On 12 Jul 2003 02:05:48 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

At the risk of sounding Kim-like, ROTFLMAO!!!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Larry. I think you're in
love with her!

Were it not for the occasional usefulness of the 2-meter band to
"real" ham radio operators like you and me, I'd suggest that it be
separated from the licensing structure and just be given away to
anyone who can afford a transceiver. Of course, we've already gone
most of the way to doing just that, and we still don't see any real
growth in the numbers of licensed amateurs.

Heckuva lot of growth in the number of no-code Techs, though. So if
the total number of hams hasn't increased, the number of hams with the
other classes of license must have decreased accordingly in order to
keep up. Or are guys reverse-upgrading to Technician nowadays?

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 11th 03 08:45 PM

On 12 Jul 2003 03:39:36 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

I agree that Morse code proficiency has nothing to do with speaking or
typing -- but the ability to effectively employ the Morse/CW mode -- at
speeds greater than 5 WPM -- will keep you communicating when conditions
prevent you from communicating by voice or digital modes.

I thought CW *is* a digital mode.

You have done
nothing but provide personal, anecdotal proof that reducing code testing
requirements down to a mere 5 WPM maximum was NOT a good thing!

Don't look now, but it's about to get reduced even further, to a zero
WPM maximum. The result will be that there will be fewer and fewer
people on the bands that know any code at all...which means that there
will be fewer and fewer people for you to contact on CW. Unless, of
course, you manage to start convinging some of them that CW is
actually fun to use - and if you keep on going with the same
derogatory comments about no-code hams that you've been treating
people to for at least four years now, you'll have a tough time
getting anyone's attention even if you do decide to try.

These days, the vast majority of emergency communications is done on a
local basis, primarily on 2m using FM repeaters and simplex. 70cm is
probably the next most widely used band for this purpose. Neither is
subject to the propagation difficulties often encountered on HF.

True -- when the "emergency" is confined to a small locality and the VHF/
UHF repeater infrastructure remains intact. However, what if there is a
widespread disaster -- such as the "Big One" striking the San Andreas fault
line in California? That will not be a "local" disaster -- it will affect the
entire country. Vast regions hundreds of miles in radius will be affected,
and the commercial communications and existing Amateur Radio
infrastructures and the power grids they depend on will be disrupted for
God only knows how long. At that point, we could be talking about areas
with populations of hundreds of thousands of people being out of
communication with the area "outside" the disaster zone. Communications
nets spanning many times the normal operational range of terresterial
VHF/UHF systems will be necessary -- and don't look now, but we're
coming to the downside of the solar cycle -- meaning poor propagation.
I guarantee you that there will be lots of opportunities for No-Code HF
Ham Heroes to help out, but when conditions dictate the use of CW, in
order to be able to communicate when voice and data modes fail due to
lack of available electrical power or poor atmospherics, that capability
will not be available because it will not have been learned. That's when
some guy like me will enter the picture, and say, "Step aside, Sonny,
and take your toy microphone with you."

No, that's when FEMA and the U.S. military will start shipping in
trailerloads of frequency-agile communications equipment - yes, VOICE
communications equipment including portable repeater systems, mobile
and handheld radios, and...aw, what the heck, you have Internet access
same as I do. Check out what the SHARES program is all about.

Then he'll plug in his key and
re-establish contact with the outside world.

With no electrical power? I think he'll need to plug in a lot more
than a key.

Of course, you will never
be convinced that that could happen -- so you'll just have to hope it doesn't.

Oh, I'm sure "the big one" could happen. I just don't think we agree
on what the needed response from the amateur community will be.
Furthermore, since I live in New York and you live in Delaware, it
doesn't matter what either of us expects. What matters is what the
ARES/RACES ops in the affected area will be expecting, based on what
the officials from their served agencies tell them they'll be asked to
do...unless you plan to hop on your horse and ride to California when
it happens - packing a QRP CW rig, a battery, and a few hundred feet
of wire, of course - in which case they may just stop you at the state
line and tell you to get lost.

In the meantime, I'll be ready!

Is there a fault line in Delaware that I don't know about? :-)

Well, unfortunately, there are lots of new Ham Heroes who believe
precisely that, and they belive that their possession of the HT and
650 mAh battery pack makes them a "real" ham radio operator!

The fact that their licenses say "Amateur Radio License" on them, same
as yours and mine, makes them "real" ham radio operators (assuming
they spelled their names right on their applications and thus don't
have an invalid license). How prepared they are for emergency
operation is another matter entirely.

I don't think anyone's going to confuse emergency communications with
anything enjoyable. However, in order to have total communications
capability, leaving out Morse/CW capability just doesn't make sense to me.

Hmmmm...it made sense to the Coast Guard when it became clear that
they were better off using NAVTEX. USCG doesn't use CW anymore.
Somehow, I doubt that the rest of Homeland Security considers them any
less of a "real" organization because of that.

We're going the wrong way on that, and the only reason for it is because
people these days are just too damn LAZY to learn a useful communications
skill.

Lots of people these days are learning lots of useful communications
skills, Larry. Some even invent brand new ones once in awhile. The
bottom line is, there is more than one way to skin a cat (so to
speak), and as long as the message gets through, it really doesn't
matter whether it went by CW, SSB, packet, PSK31, SSTV, or for that
matter, by carrier pigeon.

Hmmm...my late paternal grandfather raised pigeons as a hobby. Makes
me wonder if he thought the mailman was lazy.

End of story.

But Larry, the story hasn't even *started* yet!

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 11th 03 08:45 PM

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:48:21 -0600, JJ
wrote:

John, you have to realize that Larry and his huge ego are just
waiting for the above scenario to happen so he can "save the
world" with his CW skills. He is in complete denial that when this
big disaster happens, he and his CW skills will mean nothing.

Actually, Larry could be quite correct. Nonetheless, code testing as a
licensing requirement appears on the verge of going the way of the
auk, the Edsel, and point-to-point wiring in commercial radio gear.
One of the other regulars in this NG likes to comment that the plug is
about to be pulled on the government life support system, or words to
that effect, which is that person's way of saying that those who have
a genuine interest in the use of the mode had better start thinking
about finding another way to get people interested in learning the
code if they want the use of Morse to continue to be a part of the
hobby. Telling people they are lazy if they've chosen not to learn it
is not going to do the trick.

I can just see him waving his code key shouting "I can save the day
with my CW" at the officials who will laugh their ass off at him.

One could be waving state-of-the-art voice communications gear and get
the same reaction. That's why it's important for ham radio emergency
communications groups to establish a good relationship with the
emergency management officials in the areas they serve *before*
disaster strikes. Once the proverbial merde hits the proverbial
ventillateur, the folks running the served agencies will be too busy
to listen to explanations. I'm sure most of us know how it goes, or
can at least imagine - when you are up to your keister in alligators,
it's easy to forget that the initial objective was to drain the swamp.

I have been a ham for over forty years, have participated in many
disaster situations, and I have never seen conditions where CW
was the only means of communication that would get through, even
at the bottom of the solar cycles. Guys like Larry live in a "I am
superior to you because of my CW skills" dream world.

Despite that, I've no doubt that it's possible for such conditions to
exist. The point that I think Larry and numerous others in the hobby
seem to be missing is that this is a diversified hobby with a lot of
different and equally interesting facets, of which CW is just one. I'm
not about to ridicule anyone because they enjoy communicating with CW.
However, I also don't think it's right to ridicule people who do not.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Dick Carroll July 12th 03 01:28 AM

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:20:17 GMT, Dick Carroll
wrote:

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes.

So a ham who operates all modes except that he cannot operate radiotlegraphy
because he doewn't know Morse code, is just as well qualified as a ham who
operates all those and also can operate radiotelegraphy.

Surely you can understand the fallacy of your own argument,
all other considerations aside.

The question becomes, qualified to do what?

Do you really need to ask? *To Communicate by Amateur Radio*, of course.
CW ops have a mode available that no coders don't, and seems most never will.

Bill Sohl July 12th 03 01:34 AM

"Radio Amateur KC2HMZ" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:19:38 -0400, "Bill Sohl"
wrote:

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S.
Hams who don't care or "don't want" to learn Morse code
are just plain old LAZY. Period. End of Story. Consider yourself to
have been grabbed by the collar and beaten with a club called The

Truth!!!

Yes sir, guess my lack of desire to play golf can best be attributed
to a lack of willingness to break my inertia and get down
to learing it. Just my basic laziness I guess...nothing at all
involving there's any personal choice, like or dislike involved.

Same ole Larry :-)

No, Bill - it's the fact that you couldn't find that club called The
Truth in your golf bag...even though you left it right there between
the three wood and the sand wedge. ;-)

John, are you saying I am lying? If so, based on what?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Larry Roll K3LT July 12th 03 03:05 AM

In article , Dick Carroll writes:

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes.

So a ham who operates all modes except that he cannot operate radiotlegraphy
because he doewn't know Morse code, is just as well qualified as a ham who
operates all those and also can operate radiotelegraphy.

Surely you can understand the fallacy of your own argument,
all other considerations aside.

Dick:

An even greater fallacy is the notion that "hams" who operate only
2-meters FM (which probably defines at least 80 percent of "hams"
licensed since 1991) is "qualified" as an amateur radio operator!
At the risk of sounding Kim-like, ROTFLMAO!!!

Were it not for the occasional usefulness of the 2-meter band to
"real" ham radio operators like you and me, I'd suggest that it be
separated from the licensing structure and just be given away to
anyone who can afford a transceiver. Of course, we've already gone
most of the way to doing just that, and we still don't see any real
growth in the numbers of licensed amateurs.

73 de Larry, K3LT

JJ July 12th 03 03:33 AM

Arnie Macy wrote:

This EMA Director won't. I have already incorporated CW in my Emergency
Management Plans. It's a great tool to have (in conjunction with the other
available communications modes). I actually feel sorry for those in EMA,
and Amateur Radio, that discount it. We put it to great use during
Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and I'm sure we'll use it again in the future.

And your response comes because you are a ham and support CW and
you just can't stand the thought that CW may not save the world
someday. Go talk to your local emergency officials about how you
can save the world because you can use CW and see how much
importance they put on you views. So you put it to use in 1999
during Hurricane Floyd. Why? Was it the only means of
communications that could get through? I seriously doubt it. I am
not arguing the fact you used CW, just don't tout it as the end
all to communications during the Hurricane.

Your 40 years as a Ham apparently haven't taught you very much. It's always
better to leave Emergency Management Planning to the professionals. You
just proved it.

It has taught me that I have never had to use CW as the only means
of communication during any emergency, and that includes
disastrous tornados, hurricanes, floods, and earthquakes. It has
taught me that CW is an antiquated mode and I am not silly enough
to think it will be some ham nut like Dick, Larry or you that will
save the world from disaster with your little code key. I am not
anti CW, just anti those who claim that it will be the savior of
the world and anyone who doesn't use code isn't as good a ham as
Larry, Dick, and others (you too I guess). I have known many hams
that never operated CW after upgrading from Novice, and they would
put Larry and Dick to shame as far as being "real" hams.
Look into the future and you see Larry's skeleton sitting at his
rig, hand on the code key still waiting to say the world with is
CW skills. It isn't going to happen.

JJ July 12th 03 03:39 AM

Dick Carroll wrote:

you just like to slam CW.

And you just like to slam anyone who dosen't feel about the use of
CW as you do.

Alun Palmer July 12th 03 04:04 AM

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ wrote in
:

On 10 Jul 2003 02:34:45 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW?

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S. Hams who don't care or "don't want" to learn Morse
code are just plain old LAZY. Period. End of Story. Consider
yourself to have been grabbed by the collar and beaten with a club
called The Truth!!!

Still on that kick, eh?

How about a ham who learned it (at least well enough to pass a 5WPM
code test) and now chooses not to operate in that mode anyway? Is that
laziness too, or is it a ham exercising his/her right to operate in
whatever mode he/she chooses from among those permitted to him/her
under the privileges granted by his/her license? (and it is not my
intention to trip you on the point that no-code techs are permitted to
operate in CW anywhere that they have privileges)

There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do you
operate them all?

Nope, not all -- but certainly a whole lot more than most hams do. And
you know something totally strange? My Morse/CW proficiency doesn't
interfere one little bit in my enjoyment of other modes!

Even though I learned the code well enough to pass a test, I don't
consider myself proficient at it. My lack of proficiency doesn't
interfere one little bit in my enjoyment of other modes.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

What about me? I passed 20wpm and choose not to use it atall? No doubt I
will be told I'm missing out, but I'm doing exactly what I want to.

Larry Roll K3LT July 12th 03 04:39 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

So, it's your blatant disregard for the possibility that "future hams" will
be quite interested in CW and will learn the mode just because they *WANTED*
to and not because it was required? You didn't learn CW because you wanted
to but because you had to. So, what're you gonna say to those who will
obviously be a better ham than you because they learned CW out of wanting
to, not needing to?

Kim W5TIT

Well, Kim, if any show up, I'll be the first to congratulate them! However,
I hope you'll forgive me for not holding my breath in the meantime! You
see, I've become somewhat accustomed to the occasional whiff of oxygen!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT July 12th 03 04:39 AM

In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

Bill:

Nice try, but not quite the same thing. A prospective ham not wanting to
learn and/or use the Morse code is like a prospective golfer not wanting
to learn how to putt, because all he wants to do is drive golf balls for
distance. Well, even I can drive a bucket balls at the range to kill an
afternoon, but I'd never call myself a "golfer."

Morse/CW is an essential communications skill for anyone who is going
to consider him/herself to be an effective amateur radio operator.

So you will claim tillhell freezes over I assume. Only
problem is, your claim failed at the only place that
counts...the FCC.

Bill:

Of course it did. The FCC is a government bureaucracy that serves
mainly commercial interests. Amateur Radio just isn't important enough
to them to be bothered to expend the resources necessary to maintain
high licensing standards as the had in the past. No mystery there.

This
is the one skill which gives them the ability to keep on communicating
under adverse conditions that put an end to communication using less
robust or more equipment and electrical capacity-dependent modes. It
gives us the ultimate in emergency backup communications capability,
which is ever-so important and politically-correct for hams these days.

So how come the other services abondoned morse as such a
valuable back-up?

Again, follow the money and you'll learn the truth. The cost of hiring,
training, and providing pay and benefits to CW-proficient radio operators
is the key factor in play here. But you already knew that. Moreover,
these "other services" you're talking about use high-powered satellite-
based technology which is designed for their specific purposes. But
you already knew that, as well. When you make apples-to-oranges
comparisons between the all-volunteer Amateur Radio Service and
publicly- or commercially-funded communications services, your argument
falls flat on it's face. And if you didn't already know that, you're just as
deluded as any other NCTA.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT July 12th 03 04:39 AM

In article , Radio Amateur KC2HMZ
writes:

The only reason I learned code was that it was required to upgrade
beyond Technician class. Passing the code test would have made me a
Tech Plus and earned me some phone privileges on 10m and CW on several
other bands...except that I took the General class written at the same
VE session, and passed it, walking out with General class privileges.

At that point, I could communicate using CW at 5 WPM. At the same
point, I could also communicate using phone at a significantly faster
rate than 5 WPM since I can speak a lot faster than that. I could
also communicate using PSK31 at a significantly faster rate than 5 WPM
since I can type a lot faster than that. Thus, for me the use of
another mode is more efficient for me than to use CW. I would actually
be a less capable communicator if I used CW than I am using another
mode. My facing the code testing requirement did not affect my ability
to speak or to type.

John:

I agree that Morse code proficiency has nothing to do with speaking or
typing -- but the ability to effectively employ the Morse/CW mode -- at
speeds greater than 5 WPM -- will keep you communicating when conditions
prevent you from communicating by voice or digital modes. You have done
nothing but provide personal, anecdotal proof that reducing code testing
requirements down to a mere 5 WPM maximum was NOT a good thing!

Well, everyone's estimate of their "enjoyment" of ham radio is a subjective
thing. However, in this age where we're trying to justify our hold on
literally
billions of dollars worth of commercially viable spectrum, we place a great
emphasis on our capabilities as "emergency" communicators. Unfortunately,
the least reliable modes we employ are those that depend on voice
communication -- and these modes are the first to "go South" when
atmospheric conditions and man-made interference do not operate in our
favor.

[...]

and take your toy microphone with you." Then he'll plug in his key and
re-establish contact with the outside world. Of course, you will never
be convinced that that could happen -- so you'll just have to hope it doesn't.
In the meantime, I'll be ready!

In my own estimation, the biggest problem with emergency
communications in the ARS right now isn't the people who don't know
CW, it's the people who think their 5-watt (or 2-watt, or 150
mkilliwatt) HT and its 650mAh battery pack is all they need to
function as an emergency communicator when the proverbial merde hits
the proverbial ventillateur.

Well, unfortunately, there are lots of new Ham Heroes who believe
precisely that, and they belive that their possession of the HT and
650 mAh battery pack makes them a "real" ham radio operator!

Morse/CW allows us to overcome the majority of those obstacles,
but only those who know how to effectively employ this mode are qualified
to make that judgment.

Actually, it's the agencies served by our ARES and RACES and other
emergency communications groups who are best qualified to judge the
effectiveness of our contributions. The ones I've worked with so far
have expressed high praise for the efforts of our team of hams, and we
have yet to use CW during an activation.

That is the usual case. However, I did impress the begeebers out of one
certain county EOC Director by using CW during a practice exercise.
Then he asked me, "Why can all the other hams do that? I can see where
Morse code could be very effective. You were copying that other guy (who
was in Indiana -- I was in Delaware) perfectly even though I could hardly
hear him!"

Therefore, your argument about "enjoyment" is,
as are most NCTA arguments, self-serving at best.

Apples and oranges, perhaps. Only the most masochistic among us would
claim to actually enjoy pulling a 12- or 14-hour shift in a chilly EOC
or standing in a street in the middle of an ice storm. Emergency
communications isn't done for enjoyment. DX'ing, contesting, and
casual ragchewing are done for enjoyment, and if one enjoys using CW
for such activities, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing so.
For those who do not enjoy using CW, the same activities can also be
enjoyed using other modes.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

I don't think anyone's going to confuse emergency communications with
anything enjoyable. However, in order to have total communications
capability, leaving out Morse/CW capability just doesn't make sense to me.
We're going the wrong way on that, and the only reason for it is because
people these days are just too damn LAZY to learn a useful communications
skill. End of story.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT July 12th 03 04:51 AM

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

What about me? I passed 20wpm and choose not to use it atall? No doubt I
will be told I'm missing out, but I'm doing exactly what I want to.

Alun:

Feel free to do as you please, but you're right -- you're missing
out on a lot of fun if you don't use CW on-the-air!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Arnie Macy July 12th 03 07:20 AM

"JJ" wrote in part ...

John, you have to realize that Larry and his huge ego are just waiting for
the above scenario to happen so he can "save the world" with his CW skills.
He is in complete denial that when this big disaster happens, he and his CW
skills will mean nothing. I can just see him waving his code key shouting "I
can save the day with my CW" at the officials who will laugh their ass off
at him.

This EMA Director won't. I have already incorporated CW in my Emergency
Management Plans. It's a great tool to have (in conjunction with the other
available communications modes). I actually feel sorry for those in EMA,
and Amateur Radio, that discount it. We put it to great use during
Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and I'm sure we'll use it again in the future.
Your 40 years as a Ham apparently haven't taught you very much. It's always
better to leave Emergency Management Planning to the professionals. You
just proved it.

Arnie -
KT4ST

JJ July 12th 03 07:20 AM

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

I never said I was "the original expert" ... but I have logged many hundreds
of
hours of emergency comms service in my over 25 years as a ham ... and never
had to use CW (not that anyone else in the ARES or RACES teams would have
suggested it either ...)

Since the beginning of the use of phone in ham radio, I would be
interested to know of any disaster where ham radio was used for
communications and CW was the only means of communications that
could get through. I don't mean CW was used just because someone
wanted to or because they only had CW capabilities, but because
it was the ONLY mode that could get through.

Arnie Macy July 12th 03 07:27 AM

"JJ" wrote ...

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an outdated,
antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are living in your ham radio
dream world too stubborn to see the truth.

Hey JJ -- did you forget that SSB is over 60 years old? By your logic, it's
time to shut that antiquated puppy down as well. I mean, there are MUCH
more modern modes out there, right? Or are you too stubborn to see the
truth?

Arnie -
KT4ST

Arnie Macy July 12th 03 07:32 AM

"Alun Palmer" wrote ...

What about me? I passed 20wpm and choose not to use it at all? No doubt I
will be told I'm missing out, but I'm doing exactly what I want to.

I would probably be one of those that would say that. But, I also believe
that it's your choice to make once you have passed the test. However, once
learned (especially at 20wpm) you will never lose the ability to use it.
Rusty maybe, but it will always be there.

Arnie -
KT4ST

Carl R. Stevenson July 12th 03 11:20 AM

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

JJ wrote:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Were it not for the occasional usefulness of the 2-meter band to
"real" ham radio operators like you and me,

With you and Dick holding yourselves up as "real" hams, I can see
why some turn their back on ham radio and stay on cb.

JJ, one does as one is. Even Forrest Gump knew that.
Look for excuses and there are always some to be found.

Dick,

If find your comparison of yourself (and Larry) to Forest Gump
to be most appropriate :-) "Stupid is as stupid does." was the
saying from the movie ... and while I don't actually think either
you or Larry actually ARE stupid, you both certainly ACT that
way.

Carl - wk3c

Carl R. Stevenson July 12th 03 11:24 AM

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

Larry, when you trim all the BS off the no-code position, all that's left

is
that they refuse to even acknowledge that the first existing, most basic

mode
of radiocommunications is even a viable mode of radiocommunications!

Dick,

That's simply not true ... OOK Morse is clearly still a viable mode of
communications ... (to use the much-used analogy, so is horseback
riding as a form of transcontinental transportation).

It's just that it's been bypassed by more modern, more efficient means
that that vast majority of people prefer.

Read again the "What we believe" on the NCI webpage ... nowhere does
it say that "Morse is not longer a viable mode." ... and it certainly
doesn't
say that we oppose its use.

Carl - wk3c

Carl R. Stevenson July 12th 03 11:29 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

[snippage]

So how come the other services abondoned morse as such a
valuable back-up?

Again, follow the money and you'll learn the truth. The cost of hiring,
training, and providing pay and benefits to CW-proficient radio operators
is the key factor in play here. But you already knew that. Moreover,
these "other services" you're talking about use high-powered satellite-
based technology which is designed for their specific purposes.

Satellites have NOT totally supplanted the use of HF by other services.
Morse has simply been replaced by things like SITOR and other data
services using ALE techniques for faster throughput and better reliability.

If HF had been abandoned, we would have gotten more than 5 discrete
channels at 5 MHz.

But
you already knew that, as well. When you make apples-to-oranges
comparisons between the all-volunteer Amateur Radio Service and
publicly- or commercially-funded communications services, your argument
falls flat on it's face. And if you didn't already know that, you're just

as
deluded as any other NCTA.

Larry, it's you that's deluded, with your quasi-religious-faith belief that
"Morse makes the ham."

Carl - wk3c

Carl R. Stevenson July 12th 03 11:35 AM

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message
"JJ" wrote ...

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an outdated,
antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are living in your ham

radio
dream world too stubborn to see the truth.

Hey JJ -- did you forget that SSB is over 60 years old? By your logic,

it's
time to shut that antiquated puppy down as well. I mean, there are MUCH
more modern modes out there, right? Or are you too stubborn to see the
truth?

Arnie -
KT4ST

Arnie,

The technical fact of the matter is that SSB is just about as efficient as
it
gets for voice communications. The baseband (audio frequencies) are
translated to RF and back, with the result that the RF signal is no wider
than
required to convey the baseband bandwidth. (unless, of course you're
running things into clipping and causing all sorts of intermod products)

While digital voice has some advantages in some applications (particularly
if one wants to use mixed media, such as VOIP links), even the best
low-rate codecs require a bandwidth at least as wide as SSB and at those
coding rates don't provide the same fidelity (speaker recognition, tonal
quality, etc.) due to the coding involved.

Yes, SSB is at least 60 years old ... but Morse is what? About 3X as
old?

Its not simply a matter of age ...

Carl - wk3c

Dick Carroll July 12th 03 01:03 PM

Arnie Macy wrote:

"Alun Palmer" wrote ...

What about me? I passed 20wpm and choose not to use it at all? No doubt I
will be told I'm missing out, but I'm doing exactly what I want to.

I would probably be one of those that would say that. But, I also believe
that it's your choice to make once you have passed the test. However, once
learned (especially at 20wpm) you will never lose the ability to use it.
Rusty maybe, but it will always be there.

I seriously doubt that he actually learned it at 20wpm, tho I don't doubt he
did pass a 20wpm 'test'. At one period the code tests were made quite easy
and if you could copy at all often one could guess out 7 of 10 correct multiple
choice answers on the test.

Dick Carroll July 12th 03 01:06 PM

JJ wrote:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Were it not for the occasional usefulness of the 2-meter band to
"real" ham radio operators like you and me,

With you and Dick holding yourselves up as "real" hams, I can see
why some turn their back on ham radio and stay on cb.

JJ, one does as one is. Even Forrest Gump knew that.
Look for excuses and there are always some to be found.

Dick,

If find your comparison of yourself (and Larry) to Forest Gump
to be most appropriate :-) "Stupid is as stupid does." was the
saying from the movie ... and while I don't actually think either
you or Larry actually ARE stupid, you both certainly ACT that
way.

Speak for yourself, Squig, you're the guy who's been whining and looking for
excuses for half a lifetime.

N2EY July 12th 03 03:22 PM

In article , "Arnie Macy"

Subject: Now That It's "Over"...
From: "Arnie Macy"
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:27:12 -0400

"JJ" wrote ...

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an outdated,
antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are living in your ham radio
dream world too stubborn to see the truth.
_________________________________________________ _____________________

Hey JJ -- did you forget that SSB is over 60 years old?

Actually, the use of SSB on radio is over 75 years old (AT&T transatlantic
telephone, 55 kHz LSB, in service 1927). SSB was first used by hams over 70
years ago (Ray Moore, W6DEI, and several others, early 1930s).

Widespread use by hams began in the late 1940s - almost 60 years ago - BEFORE
manufactured SSB equipment for hams was readily available.

By your logic, it's
time to shut that antiquated puppy down as well.

Old does not equal bad, or useless, or obsolete.

A question for JJ: Are you against the MODE, or just the TEST? Words like
"antiquated" and "obsolete", when applied to a mode, don't indicate support to
most people.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Carl R. Stevenson July 12th 03 03:32 PM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

OOK Morse is clearly still a viable mode of
communications ... (to use the much-used analogy, so is horseback
riding as a form of transcontinental transportation).

So you equate transcontinental horseback riding to the use of

radiotelegraphy.

Yes ... in the sense that they have both been supplanted by more modern and
efficient means.

And you regard yourself as an engineer (even nondegreed)?

Yup ... so do my peers (you don't fall into that category), including the
dozen
or so PhD's that I was responsible for bringing into my company.

Just for your basic information, radiotelgraphy uses the same radio

propagation
that any other mode uses,

Really? No fooling? :-)

and - when the operater is actually skilled in its use-
often does it better and faster, at lower power than most other common

modes,

ROTFLMAO!!! Better and faster, ha! At lower power, perhaps ... though
as has been pointed out before (though you continue to ignore the reality),
plain
old BFSK, at the same data rates as OOK Morse, has something on the order
of a 9 dB weak signal advantage over OOK Morse.

particularly than weak-signal voice modes which demand slowly pronounced

and
enunciated words and the use of phonetics.

See my previous paragraph above ...

And, as it happens, both travel at the same speed! Eureka!Carl has found

it!

You're delusional again ... take your meds or something.

But you already knew all that, you just like to slam CW.

It's not that I'm "slamming CW" ... as I've said, use it to your heart's
content.
But in the future when folks are not forced to learn it, you'll have to do
your
own "recruiting," rather than relying on a government life support system
for
it ...

You still remember failing that 13wpm test long ago, don't you?

Actually, Dick, I never failed a 13 wpm test because I never TOOK one.
I took my 5 wpm test, then improved my speed working 40 cw, then
during a period when I was moving and the HF station (a Heathkit CW
only rig) was in storage, I got involved in VHF/UHF repeaters, packet
radio (in the early days), etc. and by the time the stuff was out of storage
I'd discovered that there were a lot more interesting things to do in ham
radio than making beeps ...

Carl - wk3c

Dick Carroll July 12th 03 04:39 PM

JJ wrote:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Again, follow the money and you'll learn the truth. The cost of hiring,
training, and providing pay and benefits to CW-proficient radio operators
is the key factor in play here.

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an
outdated, antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are
living in your ham radio dream world too stubborn to see the truth.

THAT is the BS and if you'd been paying attention you'd know it. Read Phil
Kane's
post on the subject from yesterday, for one.

Alun Palmer July 12th 03 04:49 PM

Dick Carroll wrote in :

"Alun Palmer" wrote ...

_

I would probably be one of those that would say that. But, I also
believe that it's your choice to make once you have passed the test.
However, once learned (especially at 20wpm) you will never lose the
ability to use it. Rusty maybe, but it will always be there.

I seriously doubt that he actually learned it at 20wpm, tho I don't
doubt he did pass a 20wpm 'test'. At one period the code tests were
made quite easy and if you could copy at all often one could guess out
7 of 10 correct multiple choice answers on the test.

The real point here is only learnt what I had to do to get the *phone*
privileges I wanted. I never actually wanted to use CW, and this is why I
don't think it should be tested for licensing purposes. I understand that
the ARRL gives out nice certificates for those who have the burning urge
to take a code test.

The way I learnt it, I can only really copy code if I write it down, i.e.
I can't copy by ear unless it is extremely slow, and I was only copying
about 70% to get 7/10 answers right. OTOH, I had to listen to code upto
25wpm to pass 20, but 30wpm just blurs together to my ear, to where I
can't really discern any characters atall.

I don't think for a minute that I would much enjoy a QSO if I could only
copy 70%, so I would probably have to slow to 10-15wpm for a real QSO. Of
course, this means that those who only passed 13wpm multiple guess would
have to slow down to something much slower than that, maybe 5-8 wpm. As
for the 5wpm test.... you get the picture.

Don't hold your breath, though. You aren't likely to hear me on CW anytime
soon.

Kim W5TIT July 12th 03 04:50 PM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message

John:

I agree that Morse code proficiency has nothing to do with speaking or
typing -- but the ability to effectively employ the Morse/CW mode -- at
speeds greater than 5 WPM -- will keep you communicating when conditions
prevent you from communicating by voice or digital modes. You have done
nothing but provide personal, anecdotal proof that reducing code testing
requirements down to a mere 5 WPM maximum was NOT a good thing!

You know...the claim that CW "will keep you communicating when conditions
prevent you from communicating by voice or digital modes" has been made time
and time again. Time and time again there have been requests for proof of
this claim. None has been provided.

To state something does not make it so.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to

Alun Palmer July 12th 03 05:11 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in
:

[...]

It isn't so, at least not for digital modes.

Dick Carroll July 12th 03 05:13 PM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

and - when the operater is actually skilled in its use-
often does it better and faster, at lower power than most other common

modes,

ROTFLMAO!!! Better and faster, ha!

THAT'S RIGHT, genius. Better and faster and MORE ACCURATE than voice in
marginal conditions,
like it or not. It's clear you have zero experience in this area but that sure
doesn't stop you from claiming
to be the original expert!

At lower power, perhaps ... though
as has been pointed out before (though you continue to ignore the reality),
plain
old BFSK, at the same data rates as OOK Morse, has something on the order
of a 9 dB weak signal advantage over OOK Morse.

Yes you've been hawking that for years now. So where's the beef, as you like to
say?
Where's all that original designed hardware that will do it all without dragging
a computer
along for the overhead, and hopefully keeping it functioning within the system
as intended?
You and Cecil Moore were gonna come up with all sorts of goodies for ham radio
that would
take care of all these shortcomings, remember? So far all we've seen is BS
verbiage about how
you slew the old CW dragon at Geneva.

AND, don't forget that there is MUCH more to the story. Propagation conditions
have a LOT to
play in these new technologies, an important point which you are evidently
intent on ignoring.
For one example you can google up my posts of a few years ago about trying to
copy some very
weak Europeans working PSK31 on a near-dead 20 meter band when it wasn't
possible to
lock and print the PSK, but the CW ID came through loud and clear, on all of
them! The cause
was almost certainly polar phase shift, which corrupted the PSK but affected the
CW signal not a bit!

[...]

I simply don't believe you, based on your past postings. You got a Tech license
at
an FCC district office, - San Diego, I believe you said , IIRC ,
when the ONLY way you could do that was to fail the 13wpm
code test when trying for General but copying enough to qualify for 5wpm,
because Tech in that time frame was a by-mail-order only license. You
wouldn't be allowed to walk into a FCC office then and ask to take a 5wpm code
test
and the Tech written, which was the same written as General. But if you were
taking the
General and failed the 13wpm test, copying enough to qualify you for 5wpm,
they'd allow
you to go ahead and finish out the exam by taking the General written, thus
qualifying
as a Tech. You could then return later and pass the 13wpm code test and upgrade
General.
You shoulda did it, Carl, would have saved you lot of grief over the years.

And no, that didn't happen to me, I read about in in QST back then. When I went
to the
FCC office to test, I took every ham test except the Novice which was all
the credit allowed for a Conditional General, and brought home my Extra.

Of course I could be wrong, but you could be obfuscating just to save face, too.

Dick Carroll July 12th 03 05:17 PM

Alun Palmer wrote:

So you equate transcontinental horseback riding to the use of
radiotelegraphy. And you regard yourself as an engineer (even
nondegreed)? Just for your basic information, radiotelgraphy uses the
same radio propagation that any other mode uses,

Just as a horse might use the same road as a car - you seem to be arguing
against yourself here

And at the same speed of travel, right?

Sometimes you codefree engineers seem to be half brain dead. At least half.

JJ July 12th 03 05:27 PM

Dick Carroll wrote:

JJ you really don't need to display yourself as a code illiterate, just because
you're
irritated that someone would actually advocate using it on the air. You don't have
to.
But you can't seem to help yourself. If you've never observed radio operators - REAL

radio operators, using code in a very efficient way, that's just your loss. No need
for you to
act so stupid over it.

Some people can, others "just don't want to". You can be one of those if you wish.

First, I am not code illiterate, I can operate code if I choose
to. Second, your statement of REAL radio operators is where I have
a problem with the likes of you and Larry. You have this huge ego
that unless every ham feels about code the way you do they are not
real hams. That if they choose not to use code then they are the
unwashed, the unclean. That is the problem I have with those like
you and your attitude toward other hams of your "I am superior
because I use CW" attitude.
Any ham who passes the test and obtains a license is just as much
of a REAL ham as you and Larry and like kind will ever be. Even
more so of a REAL ham if they reject the holier than thou attitude
you have.
I have nothing against the use of CW, just don't use it as some
kind of attempt to make yourself somehow appear superior because
you may prefer that mode and others may not. CW is a fine mode, no
need for you to act so stupid over it.

Carl R. Stevenson July 12th 03 05:46 PM

Alun Palmer wrote:

So you equate transcontinental horseback riding to the use of
radiotelegraphy. And you regard yourself as an engineer (even
nondegreed)? Just for your basic information, radiotelgraphy uses the
same radio propagation that any other mode uses,

Just as a horse might use the same road as a car - you seem to be

arguing
against yourself here

And at the same speed of travel, right?

Sometimes you codefree engineers seem to be half brain dead. At least

half.

No, Dick not at the same speed of travel ... other modes are faster than
Morse.

You're the one who seems brain dead ...

Carl - wk3c

Arnie Macy July 12th 03 10:04 PM

"JJ" wrote ...

And your response comes because you are a ham and support CW and you just
can't stand the thought that CW may not save the world someday. Go talk to
your local emergency officials about how you can save the world because you
can use CW and see how much importance they put on you views. So you put it
to use in 1999 during Hurricane Floyd. Why? Was it the only means of
communications that could get through? I seriously doubt it. I am not
arguing the fact you used CW, just don't tout it as the end all to
communications during the Hurricane. [40 years as a Ham] It has taught me
that I have never had to use CW as the only means of communication during
any emergency, and that includes disastrous tornados, hurricanes, floods,
and earthquakes. It has taught me that CW is an antiquated mode and I am not
silly enough to think it will be some ham nut like Dick, Larry or you that
will save the world from disaster with your little code key. I am not anti
CW, just anti those who claim that it will be the savior of the world and
anyone who doesn't use code isn't as good a ham as Larry, Dick, and others
(you too I guess). I have kown many hams that never operated CW after
upgrading from Novice, and they would put Larry and Dick to shame as far as
being "real" hams. Look into the future and you see Larry's skeleton
sitting at his rig, hand on the code key still waiting to say the world with
is CW skills. It isn't going to happen.

If you had bothered to actually read my reply, you would have known that I
said it was used in conjunction with other modes, not exclusively. And yes,
we used it because we were having a very hard time getting through on SSB
(our primary mode), and phone lines were jammed or down. As to your
assertion that "local" EMAs think CW is not important -- As a Federal EMA, I
can tell you that you are dead wrong about that. When I talk to them, they
are thrilled to have the additional communication tool and are impressed
that we (ARS) have operators capable of it. Again, if you would have taken
the time to read my reply, and after 40 years as a Ham, you would have
already known this.

Arnie -

BTW, Are you and Leland related? You both use the anomalous term "code key"

Arnie Macy July 12th 03 10:08 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote ...

Arnie, do you actually know people in EmCom who discredit CW??!! Anyone
who discredits any mode of operation: CB, ham radio in all its modes,,FRS,
shouting, mirror flashing, *ANYTHING*, in a moment of disaster is not
credible, in my opinion.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Nope, JJ seems to be the only one around here that thinks CW is worthless in
EmCom. As an EMA Director, I will use *all* means at my disposal to
communicate. That includes all of the above, *and* signal fires if it comes
to that. :-))

Arnie -
KT4ST

N2EY July 12th 03 10:31 PM

writes:

Heckuva lot of growth in the number of no-code Techs, though.

Not really. See below.

So if
the total number of hams hasn't increased, the number of hams with the
other classes of license must have decreased accordingly in order to
keep up. Or are guys reverse-upgrading to Technician nowadays?

Three things:

- the number of US hams has increased by about 11,000 since May of 2000

- since April 15, 2000, the FCC has been renewing Tech Pluses as Techs, and not
issuing any new Tech Pluses. The number of Tech Pluses has dropped by over
61,000 since that happened.

- since April 15, 2000, the FCC has been granting Tech licenses (as opposed to
Tech Pluses) to Novices who pass Element 2 or produce the relevant CSCEs, and
not issuing any new Novices. The number of Novices has dropped by over 15,000
since that happened.

How many of those hams listed as Technicians in the database are not code
tested, vs. those who are? Almost impossible to say.

But look at these numbers:

Total Tech and Tech Plus as of May 14, 2000: 334,254

Total Tech and Tech Plus as of June 30, 2003: 324,004

Total Novice, Tech and Tech Plus as of May 14, 2000: 383,528

Total Novice, Tech and Tech Plus as of June 30, 2003: 363,800

For a bimonthly listing of the various totals, see the thread "ARS License
Numbers" and look for posts by me around the first and fifteenth of each month.
That thread goes back about two years, and compares present totals to those on
May 14, 2000 - one month after the restructuring changes. That date was chosen
as a benchmark for a number of reasons, such as the fact that the VECs,and FCC
were running a tremendous backlog in April 2000, so the numbers were far from
current back then.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dick Carroll July 12th 03 11:57 PM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

I have logged many hundreds

of
hours of emergency comms service in my over 25 years as a ham ... and never
had to use CW

Fortuitous it was, too, since you'd have been totally out of luck.......

(not that anyone else in the ARES or RACES teams would have
suggested it either ...)

Of course not, when you run with the likeminded......

At lower power, perhaps ... though
as has been pointed out before (though you continue to ignore the

reality),
plain
old BFSK, at the same data rates as OOK Morse, has something on the

order
of a 9 dB weak signal advantage over OOK Morse.

Yes you've been hawking that for years now. So where's the beef, as you

like to
say?

The numbers were presented years ago ... google them up if you want to
refresh your memory.

Yeah, right, numbers will get you a bet....ham radio takes some hardware, which
you
clearly aren't capable of hatching up in support of your "numbers", in spite of
your
longtime rants. All show and no go, that's out boy Carl.

Where's all that original designed hardware that will do it all without

dragging
a computer
along for the overhead, and hopefully keeping it functioning within the

system
as intended?

Ah, so you have a problem with computers .

Sure seems it's YOU that has a problem with computes, why else all the smoke and
mirrors
you play and still nothing more? Numbers indeed! A few of em on some green will
get you a cup
at Starbucks but here on rrap they'll get you shown up. Consider yourself
exposed for what
you are........and more accurately what you are NOT. Nothing but a numbers
runner.

.. better start walking ... the
average
modern vehicle has sosmething on the order of a couple of dozen or more
computer
chips in it ...

Yeah, there's where computer people actually do what they say they can. What
happened to you? Got a problem actually doing all that stuff you claim to be so
good at?

AND, don't forget that there is MUCH more to the story. Propagation

conditions
have a LOT to
play in these new technologies, an important point which you are evidently
intent on ignoring.

NO, some of them are more robust than CW by a bunch ...

Read it again for accuracy this time, Carl, and unstick yourself off the old
saw about what's robust. Just because you can't copy CW through noise
(nor any other way) doesn't mean no one else can.

For one example you can google up my posts of a few years ago about trying

copy some very
weak Europeans working PSK31 on a near-dead 20 meter band when it wasn't
possible to lock and print the PSK, but the CW ID came through loud and

clear,
on all of them! The cause was almost certainly polar phase shift, which

corrupted
the PSK but affected the CW signal not a bit!

Or more likely you don't know how to properly adjust soundcard levels and
tune the PSK-31 signal ...

Yep, right in character, you are. When you can't find any way to counter the
facts
just slam the messenger. I was working PSK31 long before you ever were
authorized
on the PSK frequencies, as though that matters. What I was doing this particular
day was
monitoring, and with Digipan tuning them in isn't much of a problem in any case,
but maybe
you've been too busy rachetjawing on 20 sideband to notice.
Even you should understand that on a phase shifted signal any atmospheric phase

shifting can easily corrupt the signal while enroute. Oh well.

But it was really remarkable- all that high tech digital communicating going on
and nothing was
coming across except ancient old CW. Really neat!

You still remember failing that 13wpm test long ago, don't you?

Actually, Dick, I never failed a 13 wpm test because I never TOOK one.
I took my 5 wpm test, then improved my speed working 40 cw, then
during a period when I was moving and the HF station (a Heathkit CW
only rig) was in storage, I got involved in VHF/UHF repeaters, packet
radio (in the early days), etc. and by the time the stuff was out of

storage
I'd discovered that there were a lot more interesting things to do in

ham
radio than making beeps ...

I simply don't believe you, based on your past postings. You got a Tech

license
at
an FCC district office, - San Diego, I believe you said , IIRC ,

Actually, it was Long Beach ...

when the ONLY way you could do that was to fail the 13wpm
code test when trying for General but copying enough to qualify for 5wpm,
because Tech in that time frame was a by-mail-order only license.

Not true ... at the time, the only test that was given by volunteer
examiners was the Novice ...

Don't think so, but that's what you'd say in any case, so nothing has changed.

Arnie Macy July 13th 03 12:48 AM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote ...

The technical fact of the matter is that SSB is just about as efficient as
it gets for voice communications. The baseband (audio frequencies) are
translated to RF and back, with the result that the RF signal is no wider
than required to convey the baseband bandwidth. (unless, of course you're
running things into clipping and causing all sorts of intermod products)
While digital voice has some advantages in some applications (particularly
if one wants to use mixed media, such as VOIP links), even the best low-rate
codecs require a bandwidth at least as wide as SSB and at those coding rates
don't provide the same fidelity (speaker recognition, tonal quality, etc.)
due to the coding involved. Yes, SSB is at least 60 years old ... but Morse
is what? About 3X as old? Its not simply a matter of age ...

So tell me, Carl -- if SSB is not obsolete (as you have so adequately
explained) then why do you think JJ thinks CW is? I mean it has all the
same attributes as your SSB explanation -- and with less bandwidth use and
lower power requirements. Seems pretty efficient to me.

Arnie -
KT4ST

N2EY July 13th 03 01:32 AM

In article , JJ
writes:

Since the beginning of the use of phone in ham radio, I would be
interested to know of any disaster where ham radio was used for
communications and CW was the only means of communications that
could get through. I don't mean CW was used just because someone
wanted to or because they only had CW capabilities, but because
it was the ONLY mode that could get through.

Well, that kinda slants the playing field, but here goes.

Back in '98 there were some pretty bad and widespread ice storms in the
Northeast, particularly upper central New York State. CW was used by hams for
communications because 'phone just wouldn't get through reliably.

The ice storms had hit a wide area, bringing down electric power and
communications wires and blocking roads with falen trees and tree limbs. And
antennas. The affected area was so large, and sustained so much damage, that
power was off in some areas for many days, stretching into weeks. Folks with
generators found themselves running short of fuel, and electric power was off
over such a wide area that finding an open gas station where you could buy more
was a real problem. If you had any money, that is, because the ATMs didn't
work, and most businesses were closed anyway.

End result was that a lot of stations were on the air with battery power and
QRP, using makeshift antennas. Even those with 100+ watts of SSB had a hard
time because the auroral distortion was often very bad. SSB was the preferred
mode that did a lot of the work, but there were times when stations had to
shift to CW in order to get through.

Data modes? Some stations had 'em, many didn't. Those who did often didn't have
power to run the computer. And in a net operation, everybody needs a common
mode.

VHF/UHF? The terrain and repeater density did not permit reliable coverage of
the entire affected area. And some of the repeaters were off the air due to
storm damage or power failure.

Solar power? Check out how many hours a day the sun shines in Syracuse during
January. Wind power? Great - if the mill survives the ice storm.

FEMA and other agencies? Sure, they moved in and did a lot, but they were
stretched thin due to the wide area of the emergency, the many blocked roads,
and the terrible weather conditions.

Now it can be argued that those involved should have been more prepared, by
having more supplies on hand, more people involved, more generating capacity,
data modes, etc. While true, there's always a limit to what can be stored, and
how much of each problem to expect.

Emergencies take all forms, and conditions that constitute a major emergency in
one area (say, a foot of snow and 10 degree F temperatures in Atlanta, GA) are
barely noticed by people somewhere else (same conditions in Rochester, NY). If
everyone is adequately prepared, it really isn't an emergency, is it?

All this brought up some interesting questions, llike: which data mode should
be the standard? Baudot RTTY? ASCII? PSK-31? Some might have worked through the
auroral conditions, while others would be useless due to the distortion.

And that's just one incident. Plenty of others since hams began using 'phone.

Does all of this somehow prove that EVERY ham MUST pass a code test because
someday they MIGHT be in an emergency situation where code skill is needed? Of
course not! Were that the case, we'd not only need code testing, but also
retesting, to be sure that all hams could still do it.

But to say that CW isn't used by hams in emergencies just isn't factual.

73 de Jim, N2EY