RadioBanter

-   -   Now That It's "Over"... (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26598-now-its-%22over%22.html)

Dick Carroll July 13th 03 01:33 AM

JJ wrote:

N2EY wrote:

A question for JJ: Are you against the MODE, or just the TEST? Words like
"antiquated" and "obsolete", when applied to a mode, don't indicate support to
most people.

I am not against the mode, and not sure it is necessary to testing
anymore. CW will continue for some time to come to be a ham radio
tradition and will be in use on the bands probably long after most
of us are gone, even if it is dropped from the requirements to
obtain a license. The use of "antiquated" or "obsolete" does not
automatically imply against. A Ford Model T is antiquated and
obsolete as compared to modern day automobiles, but I certainly am
not against those who restore and run Model T's, I really like
seeing one go down the street. I restore old "antiquated" and
"obsolete" radios, and play them every day.
I am against those who think that they are far superior to others
just because they use and support CW as opposed to those who chose
not to use that mode. There are those on this group who constantly
remind everyone how much superior they are and they are the "real"
hams just because they like to use CW. They are no more superior
or a "real" ham than the ham who chooses not to use that mode. It
is all their inflated egos and nothing else. Their opinion of the
importance of CW is just that, their opinion and nothing more. CW
isn't going to save the world.

JJ you really don't need to display yourself as a code illiterate, just because
you're
irritated that someone would actually advocate using it on the air. You don't have
to.
But you can't seem to help yourself. If you've never observed radio operators - REAL

radio operators, using code in a very efficient way, that's just your loss. No need
for you to
act so stupid over it.

Some people can, others "just don't want to". You can be one of those if you wish.

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:58 AM

On 13 Jul 2003 05:53:12 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

The only no-coders I bother to "ridicule" are those who offer the typically
inane arguments that code testing is somehow detrimental to the future
of the ARS -- usually by discouraging the involvement of computer-
literate, technically-involved young people. The truth about these
people is that they just want to get on HF phone and yak away -- and for
the most part, haven't a clue as to what's happening inside their off-the-
shelf ham radio appliance.

I'm sure that's true for some. I'm also sure it's not true for all.
The average computer-literate, technically involved people tend to be
able to, for example, assemble a computer from its basic elements
(case, power supply, motherboard and perhaps some daughterboards),
connect the peripherals, install an OS and other software without a
dozen calls to a tech support hotline, and end up with a viable
working machine.

Folks who can do this are technically involved in comparison to the
folks who don't even know which port the monitor plugs into. They
aren't technically involved in comparison to the guy who designed the
motherboard in the first place. However, even in the industry, very
few people do component level repairs on motherboards and
daughterboards any more. What of it? Who do you know that's designed
and built a multi-band HF rig lately? Some have, of course...most of
them work for Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, Alinco, etc.

Of those that are able to do component level repairs on computer
equipment, they probably have much of the knowledge needed to pass our
written exams, except they lack the specialized knowledge of RF.
Certainly, though, it would seem they have the capacity to learn it -
but when the first thing we do is hit them with something over a
hundred years old and tell them this is our lowest common denominator,
I have no doubt that it causes a lot of people to think, "@#$&%^*
that!" and find another hobby...perhaps they already have one.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ
Had a life, got a modem...

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:58 AM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 03:38:46 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Kim W5TIT wrote:
To state something does not make it so.

You never watched Star Trek TNG, eh?

I believe what Captain Picard said was, "Wishing for a thing does not
make it so."

73 DE John, KC2HMZ
Very funny, Scotty...now beam down my pants!

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:58 AM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:14:23 GMT, Dick Carroll
wrote:

Let's face facts Carl- You can'nt function as a proficient CW communicator. I can.
That
simply makes me better qualified as a ham radio operator than you, test or no test.

It makes you better qualified to operate CW, period. Now, if the
activity at hand is operating in the SSB portion of November
Sweepstakes (or any other phone contest), or in the RTTY roundup, or
on an SSTV net, then your CW proficiency, taken by itself, makes you
no better qualified than my 10-year old daughter.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ
Daddy, what's this red button fo#$%^&*(NO CARRIER

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:58 AM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:26:00 GMT, Dick Carroll
wrote:

Just as I would have skipped learning the code if it hadn't been a

licensing
requirement, too.

Is that a chink in Dick's armor? Quick, Jose, my soldering iron!

So much for your advocacy of morse to new hams.
You made my point.

Bill you have been quite consistant about missing the entire point. When there is no
code test most hams won't learn Morse code.

I can't substantiate this statistically off the top of my head, but it
wouldn't surprise me to learn that a majority of hams already aren't
all that proficient with Morse to begin with. I was forced to learn it
to upgrade from Tech to General, but I learned it only well enough to
pass the test (by correctly copying the phrase "My QTH is Malibu,
California." rather than by answering the multiple choice questions -
since the comma and period count as two characters each, that gave me
one minute of solid copy), and basically haven't used it since.

I did try once...used the club station, went down in the lower portion
of 15 where I frequently hear some slower CW ops...send "CQ CQ CQ DE"
and my callsign twice, at about 5 WPM because I didn't want to send
faster than I could copy...then realized that in the amount of time it
took me to do that I could have already had a contact in the log on
phone...and that I did not and do not have the patience for CW.

I'd have a hard time believing there aren't a heck of a lot of 5 WPM
Generals and Extras out there who've gone through the same thing. Add
those to the no-code Techs and you might well be pretty close to half
the entire ham population in the U.S. for all I know.

I know that taxes you not a bit, so that means that you don't care whether
or not hams will be losing it as a viable mode.

Now it is you who might be missing the point. The code test will be
gone - as someone else in this NG likes to say, the government life
support system will be turned off. That, in and of itself, does not
guarantee that ham radio will lose CW as a viable mode, it only
guarantees that if the ARS is to keep CW as a viable mode, it behooves
those who want it to continue as such to find another way to get hams
to learn the code.

Now, to repeat the point I have been trying to make in this thread. On
the one hand we have guys like Arnie who will respect a fellow ham as
a fellow ham, regardless of whether that ham can do 50 WPM or
zero...will encourage people to learn the code and use the mode, bend
over backwards to help them do it, slow down his own sending so they
can copy it at their own speed, and just generally being reasonable
and friendly and giving people every encouragement.

On the other hand, we have guys snarling like angry dogs at people for
doing what you yourself would have done if you'd had the choice at the
time...people calling guys lazy, good for nothing, saying they aren't
"real" hams, and just generally being unreasonable, unfriendly, and in
some cases hypocritical as well.

Caught in the middle will be a whole generation of new hams who will
decide for themselves if they want to learn the code or not, sitting
there on the fence between the folks continuing the CW tradition in
ham radio and the folks who want nothing to do with Morse. The folks
on the no-code side will welcome them into the hobby regardless. The
folks on the other side...well...it looks good over where Arnie is,
but with all those snarling dogs over there, I dunno...

What I guess I'm trying to say is, we need less snarling dogs and more
people looking for a reasonable approach to the problem.

Which shows how shortsighted you are, right along with the rest of NCI.
And yes, FCC too. Of course they have far bigger fish to fry than to worry
about a trivial detail involving the ARS.

First of all, if it's so trivial, why is everybody getting their
panties in a bunch about it?

Secondly, I think the ARS itself has bigger fish to fry. To name just
one, BPL used to mean Brass Pounders' League. Now it means the noise
floor on your HF rig is about to go through the ceiling and put your
S-meter into orbit.

The least time they must spend on ARS issues the better for them,
whatever the end result.

Can't say as I really blame them. Everybody wants to be the fire
department in a town with no fires. Aside from the political
appointees, FCC is men and women who get up in the morning, go to
work, then go home at the end of the day, same as I do. I do what I
can to make my job easier, what makes them any different? So, FCC is
not going to solve the problem for us. Care to hazard a WAG as to
who's left to come up with a solution?

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:58 AM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:49:34 -0500, "Kim W5TIT"
wrote:

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

Just as I would have skipped learning the code if it hadn't been a

licensing
requirement, too.

So, the only effort you are willing to expend is one which is forced upon
you?

Then, having been duly forced - completely against his will - he
actually began to like it...so the story goes. Next we'll be hearing
that women secretly enjoy being raped.

Seriously, though, he had an option. Unless somebody forced him to get
a ham license.....

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:59 AM

On 13 Jul 2003 05:53:16 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

My belief that "Morse makes the ham" is based on the fact that radio amateurs,
as members of a voluntary, hobbyist-based radio communications service, can
justify our existence, and hold on vast amounts of commercially viable
spectrum,
only if we have communications skills that give us an "edge" under difficult
communications conditions.

Morse is only one such advantage that hams have. A few others:

1. When disaster renders the normal communications systems of local
governmental agencies inoperable, it needs to be repaired or replaced.
There are procedures to be followed to spend money to buy new gear or
have the old gear repaired. Ever try to solicit bids for a new radio
system when your town hall is flooded halfway to the ceiling? I don't
recommend it.

Enter ham radio operators, who collectively have literally tons of
radio gear, along with methods of powering it, stockpiled at no
expense to the taxpayers. We're the built-in backups in a community,
and that's true whether we use SSB, CW, or carrier pigeons. As long as
we get the job done.

2. Most public safety professionals (by which I mean law enforcement,
fire supression, EMS, and SAR personnel) know precisely this about the
radios they use on the job: Either it works or it doesn't. Either the
city cops can talk directly to the county sheriffs or they can't.
Change to a different radio? Sure...just get a new radio...see item
number (1) above for the problem with that.

Enter ham radio operators, who, if one frequency doesn't work, will
keep trying another, and then another, and then another, until we find
one that does work. It's intrinsic to the way we operate, our
equipment is designed with that in mind (unlike most commercial gear
used by public safety professionals, which is designed with entirely
different considerations in mind). We think nothing of it, but to the
average cop or fireman with a radio that has one repeater frequency
and one talkaround (both on the same band) it's wizardry.

Want me to continue?

Morse/CW does this in ways which you most
certainly are aware of, but must reject out of deference to your anti-code test
agenda. With all due respect, the "quasi-religious-faith belief" seems to
exist
on the side of those who insist that Morse code proficiency is somehow
irrelevant
to the ARS now and in the future.

I think it's on both sides. I also think it's rather silly to keep
arguing good-thing/bad-thing at this point. Regardless of what you may
think or what I may think, or Arnie or Kim or anyone else, I think we
can all predict what's eventually going to happen. Therefore, the
subject for debate ought to be what we're going to do when it does.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:59 AM

On 13 Jul 2003 05:53:17 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

So be it. In any case, the coming generation of New Age, Dumbed-Down,
No-Coder hams

That statement just convinced a few thousand people to try CW on its
own merits...NOT!

aren't likely to seeking any kudos from me on their CW
skills.

They are, however, likely to seek refuge from your insulting rhetoric.

I would hope that any who learned the code and became proficient
with it's use on-the-air, would do so for their own personal gratification and
to add that skill to their overall capability as a radio amateur.

I hope so too, Larry, because with your apparent attitude towards
fellow hams, they sure as heck aren't going to be leqarning it so they
can put your call in the logbook.

Of course,
that is a concept that you will naturally reject, out of the necessity of your
agenda to justify your own lack of useful communications skills.

My, my, Larry, she does get under your skin, doesn't she? Are you sure
there isn't more to this than meets the eye? :-)

Don't
worry -- our expectations of you are small.

Why don't you quit beating around the bush and just ask her whether or
not size really matters?

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:59 AM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:42:30 -0400, "Arnie Macy"
wrote:

At this year's Field Day, our two little CW ops out
performed (in contacts per hour) our SSB friends by ten to one on the same
band during the exact same period of time. Now I realize that you were not
talking about CW vs SSB, but the analogy is still interesting, huh? Why do
you think that happened, Carl? (hint: I'm sure it had nothing to do with
poor band conditions)

There are other possible explanations for this other than mode
selection. That could also happen because the CW guys were "running"
QSOs while the phone guys were hunting and pouncing. It could also be
because the CW ops were simply more experienced contesters and, for
all we know, could have also outdone the SSB guys by ten to one on SSB
as well.

OTOH, you could be right.... :-)

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:59 AM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:51:42 -0400, "Arnie Macy"
wrote:

"JJ" wrote ...

Since the beginning of the use of phone in ham radio, I would be interested
to know of any disaster where ham radio was used for communications and CW
was the only means of communications that could get through. I don't mean CW
was used just because someone wanted to or because they only had CW
capabilities, but because it was the ONLY mode that could get through.
_________________________________________________ _________________________

We used it when Floyd hit in 1999. We were having a hard time getting
through on SSB, so switched over to CW and continued ops until the band
conditions improved. CW didn't "save the day", but it sure came in handy
when needed. It is still an integral part of our EMA plan. Remember, in
disaster planning, we try to use *all* of the tools available to us. Maybe
one day, the light will come on for you and you'll understand that concept.

Don't look now, but as I type this, Charlotte is approaching. We may
get an object lesson here shortly after it makes landfall (not that I
or anyone else is hoping for that, except perhaps Larry who is shining
his straight key in anticipation).

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:59 AM

On 13 Jul 2003 05:53:18 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

Funny thing is, most of the No-Code Techs in my club haven't upgraded
yet, in spite of the meager 5 WPM code test requirement. What a bunch
of maroons!

Not sure what a "maroon" is, although from the tone I imagine its
something derogatory. BTW, which club is that, so I can send a copy of
your post to the newsletter editor and enlighten the membership as to
what your opinion is of them?

Other than that, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how many of
them upgrade once there is a 0 WPM code test requirement.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 01:59 AM

Kim - excellent post, I'm impressed.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:16:22 -0500, "Kim W5TIT"
wrote:

1. A good radio amateur emergency communication operator recognizes the
limitations of skillet of volunteers in a local/regional/national net and
*deals* with it. In a communication emergency/disaster, the first need is
qualified individuals for service. The fact that one is an amateur radio
operator is not enough. Being active in local/regional/national training
and net participation is crucial to the proper training of individuals and
allows for exposure of those individuals to local operating practices.

Better yet is an emergency communications organization that recognizes
the varied skills of its members and institutes systems that utilize
those skills where they can do the most good. If a group of, say,
forty operators has ten accomplished CW operators and thirty ops whose
CW skills aren't up to snuff for emergency use, so be it. The thirty
ops who lack CW skills can still train to participate in voice comms,
conduct tactical comms on VHF, etc. If a person has a useful skill and
is willing to volunteer, you find a way for them to contribute. You
don't turn away volunteers, because when the time comes that you need
your team members, some will be themselves be victims of the disaster,
some will be unavailable because they're at work, some will need to
take care of family members, and so forth.

If
those operating practices don't include the CW mode, it is up to
participants in the operation/net to recognize that the best communication
mode is one in which everyone, a) is willing to learn and perform, and b) is
immediately familiar to all participants. Folks such as Dick and
Larry--IMHO--fail to display the attributes that help others recognize their
ability to size up current limitations and *deal* with it.

In golf, this is known as playing the ball where it lies. In cards,
it's called playing the hand you're dealt. In emergency management,
the buzzword is interoperability - and it's one of the things we hams
bring to the table that makes us valuable assets when the chips (or
the local communications systems) are down.

DIGRESSION MODE
ON: if the failure of participants to know and use CW is an issue, it is
certainly acceptable for those who desire CW to be used to make their wishes
known and to try and effect change through POSITIVE action. In the meantime
it behooves a good participant to fail to make enemies because things aren't
as they wish. DIGRESSION MODE OFF.

I don't think that's a digression at all. It's simply having good
leadership skills, and keeping a positive attitude...and your point is
well taken, in that there are some individuals whose attitude towards
their fellow hams is anything but positive - unfortunately.

2. A good radio amateur operator, who is familiar with EmCom, is also
familiar with the current trends in the service of emergency communication
provision. Again, one may not "like" the current trend but, to criticize
and be disgruntled about it hinders the efficacy of providing excellent
communication service.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, so long as it is
done in a positive manner. For example, what if the current trend in
your area is for emergency management personnel to rely on cell phones
as a backup to their radio systems? I don't "like" that trend and will
certainly criticize it, immediately and as often as necessary to get
the point across. I will not, however, refer to said emergency
managers as "maroons" - especially not in a public forum!

DIGRESSION MODE ON: A good example would be the
very attitudes that we often see exhibited here in this newsgroup by folks
such as Dick and Larry. Now, they'll tell you that [paraphrasing here]
their actions in this newsgroup do not indicate anything about how they are
in real life.

Of course not. If they said to someone at a club meeting some of the
things they've said to people in this NG, they'd probably earn
themselves a punch in the nose. Now, I dunno about Dick, but Larry
likes his nose. He sends CW with his nose on the key while his left
hand is tuning and his right hand is writing in the logbook. :-)

I say to anyone here, that the actions in this newsgroup are
well known locally to your fellow amateurs. I cannot tell you how many
fellow hams I have met who know me only by what they have seen here in this
newsgroup--and first impression is everything. Most are "OK" with what they
see here by my opinions and some are not. The point is that most of us here
in this newsgroup are "offensive," in some way or another, to someone who
simply reads posts.

That's common sense, of course, because whatever side you take on an
issue, you're going to be in disagreement with the folks on the other
side. However, since common sense isn't really all that common, some
will exacerbate the situation, going beyond simply stating their
opinions and allow discussions to degenerate into name-calling,
personal attacks on the messenger instead of debating the message, and
other common fallacies that are as old as discussion boards on
landline BBS systems.

DIGRESSION MODE OFF. So, if someone exhibits offensive
behavior because of current trends in the service,

....or for any other reason, for that matter...

they will not be
*received* by local/regional/national participants as effective radio
amateur communicators. They may very well be, but if they are not received
and accepted as such, their effectiveness is compromised by their degree of

offensiveness to others. That would make people such as Dick and Larry
pretty darned ineffective as radio amateur emergency communicators.

Yep...nice package perhaps, but lousy presentation.

3. Going back to the "current trends" philosophy: if one cannot recognize
shifts and changes in current trends, their ability to participate in
effective radio amateur emergency communication is hindered--*IF* they
refuse (for whatever reason) to "get on board" with current practices.

Hindered? How about nonexistent?

If
the use of CW on emergency/disaster communication nets has diminished, it is
paramount to a qualified radio amateur emergency communicator to learn and
become familiar with whatever mode of operation is currently the "popular"
trend. It's that simple.

I was monitoring a MARS net a few years back, that was being conducted
in some rather lousy band conditions. One station tried to check into
this net using CW because the ops couldn't get through to the NCS
using SSB. The NCS told them that CW was not a valid operating mode
for checking into a MARS net. Draw your own conclusions.

4. I daresay anyone--not just radio amateur emergency communicators--who is
familiar with emergency/disaster communication, knows that the best mode of
operation is going to be one that most--preferably all--participants in the
communication process are familiar with--*regardless* of how well the mode
utilizes bandwidth or how well the mode can be implemented, etc.

This goes back to what I said earlier about interoperability. This
consideration became a major concern in the aftermath of the terrorist
attacks on September 11, 2001 and remains an important one in the mind
of any savvy emergency communicator or emergency manager. FEMA has a
publication for emergency managers dealing with amateur radio - I have
a copy in my personal library - and interoperability is one of the
things mentioned as a desirable asset that hams are able to provide.
It goes without saying that anything which compromises
interoperability is detrimental to the overall operation.

To try to
"force" the issue of CW onto radio amateurs may be admirable in some cases,
it is fatal to a good emergency/disaster communication effort *UNLESS* all
communication providers are "on board" with knowing and using CW
effectively.

Not necessarily. A CW net can be established for the purpose of moving
health and welfare traffic in and out of the affected area on HF,
while tactical communications for establishing shelters and doing
damage assessment are done on VHF FM. Obviously, the folks working VHF
FM don't need to know shinola about CW. They do, however, need to know
how to behave in a directed net, among other things.

In today's emergency/disaster communication "market" the CW
skill is little recognized and certainly not used in many circumstances.

Nevertheless, as both you and Arnie have already pointed out in this
NG, one should not discount any available means of communication. I'm
sure that if Arnie has a dozen CW ops around he's going to use them.
If, at the same time, he has a dozen no-code Techs or 5 WPM Generals
(like me for example) around he's going to use them too, but not as CW
ops. I'm not too good with CW, but I am pretty good at tactical comms.

DIGRESSION MODE ON: once the communication emergency/disaster operation is
under way, of course, CW nets for passing HW traffic are critical to the
implementation of effective transmission and delivery of messages to those
who would otherwise be "clogging" the resources of responders. It is at
*this* level that folks such as Dick and Larry should be recruiting
individuals. DIGRESSION MODE OFF.

OBSERVATION MODE ON: Unfortunately, Dick and Larry aren't recruiting
anyone; quite the opposite, in fact. When I first became an ARES
member, I was a Technician sans code. If I'd arrived at that ARES
meeting and found Dick and Larry in charge, I'd have been back out the
door so fast that the suction would have pulled half a dozen other
guys right out the door along with me. License class bigotry and
operating mode bigotry do no good for any facet of amateur radio,
least of all our emergency and public service communications groups.
OBSERVATION MODE OFF.

5. Current trends in the provision of emergency/disaster communication are
utilizing many modes. The political arguments are beginning to erode and
the stigma associated with utilizing all available radio services is
beginning to fade.

Having two skyscrapers collapsing around you while the police can't
talk to the fire department, which can't talk to the EMS personnel,
which can't talk to the Port Authority police, which can't talk to the
Feds, which can't even talk to each other, tends to do that for ya...

The recognition of this is limited to those above the
level of folks such as Dick and Larry, who are "stuck" in the world of CW so
obsessively that they cannot and will not accept what changes are taking
place and will continue to take place.

It's too bad that it took an incident resulting in the deaths of a few
thousand people for this recognition to happen, but sometimes I do
wonder if some people realize what they're saying. "CW is like
learning another language" for example...okay, fine, but what happens
if I get on the radio and tell the fire department that a pumper is
needed and such-and-such location because the ice storm just caused a
tree to collapse onto the roof of a school building, bringing down
power lines along with it, and now the school's on fire and kids are
trapped, and because I happen to like German and think everybody
should learn it, I make this report in German. Great if the fire
dispatcher speaks German. Not a good idea if she doesn't...oh, excuse
me, I mean, if she's a no-good-for-nothing who's too lazy to learn
German and is thus less qualified as a communicator than I am.

As has often been implied by
comments in this newsgroup: while "they" are stuck in their world, the rest
of the world is moving on and providing a great service--as one of the
tenets of amateur radio is realized.

I dunno if I'd go so far as to suggest that accomplished CW ops are
going to be left behind as the rest of the world moves on without
them, because there's nothing stopping someone who's already developed
good CW skills from learning additional skills useful in other
operating modes. The question is whether or not an individual is
prepared to put those skills to use when they're needed.

Our EOC has HF, VHF, and UHF gear, packet, a couple of repeaters,
emergency power from a diesel generator, and both a straight key and a
bug for CW ops to use. There's more than one radio for each. There's a
scanner. We also have SSTV capability, so that a ham in the field with
a digital camera and a laptop computer in his car can take pictures of
a disaster scene and transmit them back to the EOC over the air so
that officials there can see for themselves what's going on, rather
than having to haul everybody down to the scene for a first-hand look.
Of course, that means the ham in the field needs the digital camera
and needs to be able to power the laptop in the car (or once the
battery in the laptop runs down, goodbye to that capability). That
means adding an inverter to your jump kit if your laptop doesn't run
on 13.8 VDC. Some guys make me wonder if there is anything in their
jump kits other than a key, a QRP CW rig and a battery. I hope there
is, but the way some folks tell it there's only one operating mode and
CW is it. There's more to ham radio than that - if there wasn't, I for
one wouldn't be here - and there's a lot more to emergency and public
service communications than that. CW is a useful skill, but it isn't
the only useful skill.

There's loads of other not-so-ham-radio-related items that could be brought
up about how folks such as Dick and Larry have missed out; those that deal
with the leadership, recruitment, education, organizational, motivation, and
process of emergency communication.

But you good emergency/disaster communication folks already know them. ;)

Yes we do, and I just mentioned a few of them. Thanks for recognizing
this fact, though.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 13th 03 02:19 AM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:58:29 -0500, "Kim W5TIT"
wrote:

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message

Kim, Dear, what kind of "proof" of this would you accept?

Dear? I knew it! You ARE in love with her, Larry!

You are not a
CW operator, so you are not even qualified to judge any "proof" offered.

You are not a cow, Larry, therefore you are not even qualified to
judge whether McDonald's or Wendy's makes better cheeseburgers.

Those of us who are proficient CW operators with adequate on-the-air
experience have certainly had this fact proven to them to their
satisfaction,

Hitler had the collective guilt of Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, and
homosexuals proven to his satisfaction, too.

but a no-coder will always claim that it isn't proven simply because they
have no way of discerning and analyzing the evidence, and they have an
agenda which would cause them to deny the outcome.

Actually, all that's really required is a receiver. If there are a few
dozen CW QSOs going on at the bottom of the band, but nobody in the
phone portion of the band...well, why would you think that would
happen, unless there's a CW contest going on?

So please don't
go demanding "proof" unless you're willing to place yourself in a position

Yeah, you'd like that, wouldn't you, ya dirty old man ya... :-)

to be an objective, competent arbiter of any evidence offered.

73 de Larry, K3LT

And as for you, Kim...

Lip service, Larry.

Ahem....I'm trying to keep my mind out of the gutter here. You're not
helping much.

You couldn't even offer the contribution that N2EY
made. An excellent example, I might add. And, apparently you have no
proof--only your rhetorical blathering idiocy, as usual.

Larry gets rather emotional over the topic, whereas Jim looks at
things a bit more objectively. But then, I think you noticed that.

When you get as good as N2EY at knowing CW and examples of its tremendous
cabability, get back to us, won't you?

Knowing them and being able to articulate them in this forum are two
different things.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Carl R. Stevenson July 13th 03 02:28 AM

"JJ" wrote in message

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

when the ONLY way you could do that was to fail the 13wpm
code test when trying for General but copying enough to qualify for

5wpm,
because Tech in that time frame was a by-mail-order only license.

Not true ... at the time, the only test that was given by volunteer
examiners was the Novice ...

Are you forgetting about the Conditional (same as the General)?

I may be wrong, but I *think* the FCC stopped issuing Conditionals
before 1975.

Carl - wk3c

Carl R. Stevenson July 13th 03 02:41 AM

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote ...

The technical fact of the matter is that SSB is just about as efficient

as
it gets for voice communications. The baseband (audio frequencies) are
translated to RF and back, with the result that the RF signal is no wider
than required to convey the baseband bandwidth. (unless, of course you're
running things into clipping and causing all sorts of intermod products)
While digital voice has some advantages in some applications (particularly
if one wants to use mixed media, such as VOIP links), even the best

low-rate
codecs require a bandwidth at least as wide as SSB and at those coding

rates
don't provide the same fidelity (speaker recognition, tonal quality, etc.)
due to the coding involved. Yes, SSB is at least 60 years old ... but

Morse
is what? About 3X as old? Its not simply a matter of age ...

So tell me, Carl -- if SSB is not obsolete (as you have so adequately
explained) then why do you think JJ thinks CW is? I mean it has all the
same attributes as your SSB explanation -- and with less bandwidth use and
lower power requirements. Seems pretty efficient to me.

Arnie -
KT4ST

I'm not saying that CW is totally obsolete ... and I won't presume to speak
for JJ ... I just know that there are much better digital modes available
and
that CW's main purpose these days is as a recreational activity for those
who like it.

I like kyaking, but I don't believe that everyone should be a proficent
kyaker to go into the water.

Carl - wk3c

Dave Heil July 13th 03 03:10 AM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

I like kyaking, but I don't believe that everyone should be a proficent
kyaker to go into the water.

You'd think that one who likes "kyaking" could spell "kayak", Squiggy.
Looks like you've chosen a poor analogy. Your view would more properly
expressed by stating that with modern power boat technology, no
individual should be forced to jump through the swimming hoop.

Dave K8MN

Mike Coslo July 13th 03 04:07 AM

Alun Palmer wrote:

some snippage

What about me? I passed 20wpm and choose not to use it atall? No doubt I
will be told I'm missing out, but I'm doing exactly what I want to.

No one sez you have to use it. I'm not forced to do those silly
satellite ops either. But I gotta test for them.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 13th 03 04:10 AM

Dick Carroll wrote:

JJ wrote:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Were it not for the occasional usefulness of the 2-meter band to
"real" ham radio operators like you and me,

With you and Dick holding yourselves up as "real" hams, I can see
why some turn their back on ham radio and stay on cb.

JJ, one does as one is. Even Forrest Gump knew that.
Look for excuses and there are always some to be found.

I'm much too busy to look for excuses...... ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Arnie Macy July 13th 03 04:11 AM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote ...

If find your comparison of yourself (and Larry) to Forest Gump to be most
appropriate :-) "Stupid is as stupid does." was the saying from the movie
.... and while I don't actually think either you or Larry actually ARE
stupid, you both certainly ACT that way.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

And when did you become the expert on who and who is not intelligent, Carl?

Arnie -
KT4ST

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat
of your breeches to hold it."

-Mark Twain

Mike Coslo July 13th 03 04:18 AM

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
"Arnie Macy" wrote in message

"JJ" wrote ...

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an outdated,
antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are living in your ham

radio

dream world too stubborn to see the truth.
________________________________________________ ______________________

Hey JJ -- did you forget that SSB is over 60 years old? By your logic,

it's

time to shut that antiquated puppy down as well. I mean, there are MUCH
more modern modes out there, right? Or are you too stubborn to see the
truth?

Arnie -
KT4ST

Arnie,

The technical fact of the matter is that SSB is just about as efficient as
it
gets for voice communications. The baseband (audio frequencies) are
translated to RF and back, with the result that the RF signal is no wider
than
required to convey the baseband bandwidth. (unless, of course you're
running things into clipping and causing all sorts of intermod products)

While digital voice has some advantages in some applications (particularly
if one wants to use mixed media, such as VOIP links), even the best
low-rate codecs require a bandwidth at least as wide as SSB and at those
coding rates don't provide the same fidelity (speaker recognition, tonal
quality, etc.) due to the coding involved.

Yes, SSB is at least 60 years old ... but Morse is what? About 3X as
old?

SSB - established mathematically in 1914, First patent in 1923, first
transatlantic transmission in 1923, transatlanti public use in 1927,
first amateur use around 1933. Didn't catch on for around 15 years.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 13th 03 04:23 AM

N2EY wrote:
In article , "Arnie Macy"

Subject: Now That It's "Over"...
From: "Arnie Macy"
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:27:12 -0400

"JJ" wrote ...

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an outdated,
antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are living in your ham radio
dream world too stubborn to see the truth.
________________________________________________ ______________________

Hey JJ -- did you forget that SSB is over 60 years old?

Actually, the use of SSB on radio is over 75 years old (AT&T transatlantic
telephone, 55 kHz LSB, in service 1927). SSB was first used by hams over 70
years ago (Ray Moore, W6DEI, and several others, early 1930s).

Widespread use by hams began in the late 1940s - almost 60 years ago - BEFORE
manufactured SSB equipment for hams was readily available.

By your logic, it's
time to shut that antiquated puppy down as well.

Old does not equal bad, or useless, or obsolete.

A question for JJ: Are you against the MODE, or just the TEST? Words like
"antiquated" and "obsolete", when applied to a mode, don't indicate support to
most people.

Direct hit, Jim! Despite all claiims to the contrary, the NCTA's word's
usually expose them as NCUA's.

Just imagine all that yummy bandwidth there for the taking! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Bill Sohl July 13th 03 04:29 AM

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

In article , Dick Carroll

writes:

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes.

So a ham who operates all modes except that he cannot operate

radiotlegraphy
because he doewn't know Morse code, is just as well qualified as a ham

who
operates all those and also can operate radiotelegraphy.

Surely you can understand the fallacy of your own argument,
all other considerations aside.

Dick:

An even greater fallacy is the notion that "hams" who operate only
2-meters FM (which probably defines at least 80 percent of "hams"
licensed since 1991) is "qualified" as an amateur radio operator!
At the risk of sounding Kim-like, ROTFLMAO!!!

Were it not for the occasional usefulness of the 2-meter band to
"real" ham radio operators like you and me, I'd suggest that it be
separated from the licensing structure and just be given away to
anyone who can afford a transceiver. Of course, we've already gone
most of the way to doing just that, and we still don't see any real
growth in the numbers of licensed amateurs.

Larry, when you trim all the BS off the no-code position, all that's left

is
that they refuse to even acknowledge that the first existing, most basic

mode
of radiocommunications is even a viable mode of radiocommunications!
Much less that it is the simplest, easiest to implement and one of the

very
most efficient modes!

If it weren't so downright silly it'd be funny. But that's what ham radio

had
degenerated into.

In what way have we ever not acknowledged that CW was
the first mode, or that it is simple, or that it can
be used by hams today (i.e. viable). Bottom line
is so what...that does NOT justify any need for a code
test. That's what is so downright silly. YOU want every
new ham to have to learn CW on the hope that some
percentage will like CW enough to become a user. You
are (IMHO) clearly not up to the task of recruiting new hams
by proactively advocating CW use.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Mike Coslo July 13th 03 04:34 AM

JJ wrote:

Dick Carroll wrote:

you just like to slam CW.

And you just like to slam anyone who dosen't feel about the use of CW as
you do.

Wrong. I don't feel the same way about CW as Dick does, and we get along
just fine!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 13th 03 04:38 AM

Kim W5TIT wrote:
"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message

John:

I agree that Morse code proficiency has nothing to do with speaking or
typing -- but the ability to effectively employ the Morse/CW mode -- at
speeds greater than 5 WPM -- will keep you communicating when conditions
prevent you from communicating by voice or digital modes. You have done
nothing but provide personal, anecdotal proof that reducing code testing
requirements down to a mere 5 WPM maximum was NOT a good thing!

You know...the claim that CW "will keep you communicating when conditions
prevent you from communicating by voice or digital modes" has been made time
and time again. Time and time again there have been requests for proof of
this claim. None has been provided.

Bill Sohl July 13th 03 04:50 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

Bill:

Nice try, but not quite the same thing. A prospective ham not wanting

learn and/or use the Morse code is like a prospective golfer not

wanting
to learn how to putt, because all he wants to do is drive golf balls

for
distance. Well, even I can drive a bucket balls at the range to kill

an
afternoon, but I'd never call myself a "golfer."

Morse/CW is an essential communications skill for anyone who is going
to consider him/herself to be an effective amateur radio operator.

So you will claim tillhell freezes over I assume. Only
problem is, your claim failed at the only place that
counts...the FCC.

Bill:

Of course it did.

It did...then why do you next state...
The FCC is a government bureaucracy that serves
mainly commercial interests. Amateur Radio just isn't important enough
to them to be bothered to expend the resources necessary to maintain
high licensing standards as the had in the past. No mystery there.

Sure seems that it didn't hold sway at all with the FCC.

This
is the one skill which gives them the ability to keep on communicating
under adverse conditions that put an end to communication using less
robust or more equipment and electrical capacity-dependent modes. It
gives us the ultimate in emergency backup communications capability,
which is ever-so important and politically-correct for hams these days.

So how come the other services abondoned morse as such a
valuable back-up?

Again, follow the money and you'll learn the truth. The cost of hiring,
training, and providing pay and benefits to CW-proficient radio operators
is the key factor in play here. But you already knew that.

Of course, and the cost of having thousands of hams learn
morse isn't born out by any need whatsoever...as the FCC
has already determined in 98-143. Rather, the PCTA folks
failed to make sufficient justification to the FCC that
hams MUST know morse.

Moreover,
these "other services" you're talking about use high-powered satellite-
based technology which is designed for their specific purposes. But
you already knew that, as well. When you make apples-to-oranges
comparisons between the all-volunteer Amateur Radio Service and
publicly- or commercially-funded communications services, your argument
falls flat on it's face. And if you didn't already know that, you're just

as
deluded as any other NCTA.

Well it seems to me the only folks that are living
in fantasy land are the PCTAs. Not ONE of the
PCTA arguments was "accepted" by the FCC as
sufficient reason to retain code testing. Rather, the
ONLY reason the FCC even kept 5 wpm was the
former ITU treaty...now that's gone too.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Bill Sohl July 13th 03 04:55 AM

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message
"JJ" wrote ...

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an outdated,
antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are living in your ham

radio
dream world too stubborn to see the truth.

Hey JJ -- did you forget that SSB is over 60 years old? By your logic,

it's
time to shut that antiquated puppy down as well. I mean, there are MUCH
more modern modes out there, right? Or are you too stubborn to see the
truth?
Arnie - KT4ST

Arnie, in global communications, SSB has pretty much seen its day too.
Comms are now digital and via satellite for many ships. Telecommunications,
both terrestial, microwave and satellite are almost exclusively digital.
Even so, no one is asking to shut down SSB in ham radio any more
than CW is being asked to shut down. Use it all you want...the test isn't
needed to use the mode.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Mike Coslo July 13th 03 05:43 AM

Arnie Macy wrote:
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote ...

If find your comparison of yourself (and Larry) to Forest Gump to be most
appropriate :-) "Stupid is as stupid does." was the saying from the movie
... and while I don't actually think either you or Larry actually ARE
stupid, you both certainly ACT that way.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

And when did you become the expert on who and who is not intelligent, Carl?

And remember, he was mentally challenged, not stupid. Time and again,
we see the difference.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Larry Roll K3LT July 13th 03 06:53 AM

In article , Radio Amateur KC2HMZ
writes:

Despite that, I've no doubt that it's possible for such conditions to
exist. The point that I think Larry and numerous others in the hobby
seem to be missing is that this is a diversified hobby with a lot of
different and equally interesting facets, of which CW is just one. I'm
not about to ridicule anyone because they enjoy communicating with CW.
However, I also don't think it's right to ridicule people who do not.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

John:

Larry Roll K3LT July 13th 03 06:53 AM

In article , JJ
writes:

Well, on behalf of my colleague Dick (that's MISTER Carroll to you, BOY!)
it's nice to know that we're providing a much needed service to the ARS!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Anyone ever tell you what a pompous ass you really are Larry?

JJ:

Oh, but of course! But this is Usenet, and, more specifically, rrap -- so
I won't take that personally, since I'm in such good company!

That's MISTER JJ to you little BOY!!

Uh, no, not quite. You see, Mr. Carroll is YOUR moral and intellectual
superior, therefore it is appropriate for you to address him in a form which
shows proper respect. You, OTOH, deserve no such consideration, since
you have not earned it through your participation in this forum.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT July 13th 03 06:53 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

You know...the claim that CW "will keep you communicating when conditions
prevent you from communicating by voice or digital modes" has been made time
and time again. Time and time again there have been requests for proof of
this claim. None has been provided.

To state something does not make it so.

Kim W5TIT

Kim, Dear, what kind of "proof" of this would you accept? You are not a
CW operator, so you are not even qualified to judge any "proof" offered.
Those of us who are proficient CW operators with adequate on-the-air
experience have certainly had this fact proven to them to their satisfaction,
but a no-coder will always claim that it isn't proven simply because they
have no way of discerning and analyzing the evidence, and they have an
agenda which would cause them to deny the outcome. So please don't

Larry Roll K3LT July 13th 03 06:53 AM

In article , Radio Amateur KC2HMZ
writes:

On 12 Jul 2003 02:05:48 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

At the risk of sounding Kim-like, ROTFLMAO!!!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Larry. I think you're in
love with her!

Omigosh, I feel my dinner coming up...BIWBAPMGO!!!
Damn, good thing I had that waste basket handy!

Were it not for the occasional usefulness of the 2-meter band to
"real" ham radio operators like you and me, I'd suggest that it be
separated from the licensing structure and just be given away to
anyone who can afford a transceiver. Of course, we've already gone
most of the way to doing just that, and we still don't see any real
growth in the numbers of licensed amateurs.

Heckuva lot of growth in the number of no-code Techs, though. So if
the total number of hams hasn't increased, the number of hams with the
other classes of license must have decreased accordingly in order to
keep up. Or are guys reverse-upgrading to Technician nowadays?

Larry Roll K3LT July 13th 03 07:48 AM

Now that it seems as though code testing will finally be abolished in the
ARS, let's amuse ourselves with a bit of speculation as to what this will
mean in terms of future growth in the numbers of licensed amateur radio
operators in the United States. What do you think will happen? How
much growth do you think will occur, and how fast?

I predict that there will be no significant growth in new licensees.
Now, all we need to do is define the term "significant growth." We currently
have around 600-some kilohams in the US. I'd call a five percent growth
factor, or 30,000 newly-licensed radio amateurs, to be significant. Let's
give this a year to happen. I say it won't. How say you? Keep in mind
that at this stage of the discussion, I'm just trying to establish reasonable
parameters -- so let's all weigh in and try to arrive at a consensus as to
what any future growth could be. Then we can commit to our numbers
and see who gets it right -- or at least close.

73 de Larry, K3LT