RadioBanter

-   -   Now That It's "Over"... (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26598-now-its-%22over%22.html)

Alun Palmer July 9th 03 12:25 PM

Robert Casey wrote in
:

Phil Kane wrote:

The questions come out of computer at a speed which is dependent on
how fast the applicant is answering them. Scramble the questions
and the multi-choice answers so that if one memorizes the "little
red book" of all the questions and answers it won't help unless
s/he understands and knows the material.

The machine keeps feeding questions until it is a guaranteed "pass"
or a guaranteed "fail" and then it terminates the exam session. The
applicant does not know whether s/he passed or not until the
results are sent by mail. Just like the olden days.....

Back in 1994 I lived in Oregon for a year. The written driver's test at
the DMV was
done with a computer with touch screen. I knew how many questions I got
wrong, but
lost track of how many more I had to complete during the test. Then it
told me that
I passed and my score, around 92%.

Paper tests generated just before the VE session via computer would be
cheaper and
easier than dedicated hardware like that DMV had anyway.

It wouldn't need dedicated hardware - just software

N2EY July 9th 03 01:26 PM

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

That's the way to do it. By the time, I got my General, I was actually
pretty used to HF operation. As a tech, I had operated in some contests
that the club participated in, plus a field day. (to the sticklers -
yes, with a control op)

They tricked me! Got me hooked on contesting, and I had no choice but
to upgrade!!!

bwaahaahaaa! You've been barracuda'ed.

Well they really didn't trick me, but it worked out that
way anyhow.

(Jacques Cousteau voice ON)

".......ze barracudaz veecteemz often do not reelize zay are veecteemz unteel
too late..."

(Jacques Cousteau voice OFF)

But every time I try out a different mode, I spen weeks listening
before I ever transmit. I hope these new people will do the same.

This is one thing which has changed radically since I was a newbie.

Back in the bad old days, many if not most prospective hams started out with a
shortwave rx, listening to other hams on the air. Most of us had many hours of
SW listening experience before we ever took a license test. I and many others
learned the code by listening to hams use it on the air - no tapes, no software
packages, etc.

Starting out this way meant we already had some real hands-on experience in
operating procedure, propagation, receiver operation and related subjects
before we ever got on the air. We also had most of what was needed for a ham
shack of that era - receiver, antenna, key, 'phones, and a desk or table to put
it on. When the license test was passed, all that was left to do was add the
transmitter and T/R system.

In my case, I built my first transmitter while waiting for the license to
arrive.

From what I've read and seen, many newcomers today get the license first, then
set about putting a station together. Some did it that way back when, too - and
often they were the ones whose Novice licenses ran out before they were ready
for the General test.

Cart before the horse, IMHO.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo July 9th 03 03:29 PM

N2EY wrote:
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ wrote in message . ..

On 07 Jul 2003 11:11:10 GMT, (N2EY) wrote:

some snippage

One of the problems with skill testing is that the test has to
actually include the skill - it can't be a purely paper test and
actually mean anything. (You can't judge my bicycle-riding or
stick-shift skills with a written test). And such testing means a
separate test element and the same problems that come with the code
test.

The dropping of the code test will not be accompanied by a significant,
sustained increase in growth rate of the ARS. There may be a short term
surge,
and lots of upgrades, but total numbers will not skyrocket.

Seems to me that the outcome, in this regard, is up to us. We have an
opportunity to start a significant influx of good operators into the
ARS provided we're willing to identify them and elmer them and welcome
them into the ranks, so to speak.

Those of us who go out of our way to meet these people and convince
them to get into the club meetings and the VE sessions, and who answer
questions and provide the guidance the newcomers will need and then
accept and respect them as fellow hams should, will be taking good
advantage of the opportunity.

I agree with all of the that - but a lot of it comes down to publicity
for the ARS, and the simple fact that most people are not interested
in radio as an end in itself. There's a limit to how much we can
"sell" amateur radio. The trick is to identify those who are really
interested, and help them out.

Right. The ARS is simply not for everyone. People who try to make it
that way are just spinning their wheels. You need a technical bent, and
getting a thrill out of sending a teeny signal across the world helps too.

Those of us who spend our time coming up with witty and derogatory
names like Extra Lite and insist on distinguishing between No-Code and
Know-Code and go out of their way to make people feel like
second-class citizens will be letting the opportunity just slide on by
and will be doing a disservice to the ARS.

Agreed - and I challenge you to find any postings of mine where I have
done any of that.

I am an Extra lite, I was a No-Code Tech at one time. I'm also a hockey
puck and a few other things.

Seriously, there isn't anyone around that someone doesn't like, so we
just have to work on being less sensitive.

I was sitting around a dinner table with some friend hams, and the
conversation shifted to licensing. One of the guys noted how "Any moron
can become an Extra now." I just chuckled and said, "and I am the proof
of that!" He was a bit embarrassed, but I took no offense and made a
joke of it.

More snippage

Yet, how many hams do you know of who have even heard of ALE, outisde
of those in this forum where I know the subject has come up
previously? How many hams in your local club know what ALE is? How
many would be willing to accept and use it if they did?

Many of us know what ALE is, and even how it could be used on the
amateur bands.

The bigger question is - why would hams want to use ALE for normal
amateur operation? The whole point of ALE is to reduce/eliminate the
need for a knowledgeable operator. In fact, if you look at most
nonamateur radio equipment design philosophies, one of the driving
forces behind them is to replace the skilled "radio operator" with a
relatively unskilled "user", who doesn't really know what's going on -
and doesn't have to. Consider the nearly-ubiquitous cell phone - none
of the radio-specific functions are controlled by the user at all! In
fact, far too many people don't even realize a cell phone is a radio
transceiver. (I recall an indignant fellow airline passenger telling
me "I can use this while we take off! It's a TELEPHONE, not a
RADIO!!")

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

snippage again

Especially since there
will undoubtedly be those who will not welcome them at all, and in
fact do quite the opposite.

A few. That's not a new thing - ever hear of the fellow who used to
call CQ on 75 AM and add "no kids, no lids, no space cadets, Class A
operators only"?

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ is simply wrong here. And old mister No kids, no
lids is just the exception that proves the rule.

Most all hams, even those who think that elimination of the Morse code
requirement is the beginning of the end of Western civilization, are
very welcoming of new people.

Sometimes when we think everyone around us is nasty, we need to look to
ourselves for the problem.

Those of us who wish to take advantage of
this opportunity will have to work doubly hard in order to overcome
the harm done by the minority that will attempt to ostracize and chase
away the newcomers, forgetting that they were newcomers themselves
once upon a time.

All true. Actually, it doesn't seem like that long ago that I was a
newcomer.

But there is also the reverse problem: Newcomers who do not want
advice or elmering from the "old f@#$S", no matter how it is offered.
I've been on the receiving end of that more than a few times. What's
the right approach - just ignore them?

Eventually, that's all you can do, if the person insists on being
nasty. It's also important to remember that that same peron will
probably spend time moaning about "those rotten hams".

- Mike KB3EIA -

JJ July 9th 03 03:58 PM

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , JJ
writes:

Do you have
something
against operator skill -- or are you one of those New Age hams that think
yakking into a microphone is all the demonstration of operator skill that
should
ever be required of you?

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW?

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S. Hams who don't care or "don't want" to learn Morse code
are just plain old LAZY. Period. End of Story. Consider yourself to
have been grabbed by the collar and beaten with a club called The Truth!!!

You are a real piece of work Larry. I haven't worked CW in years,
I still could but I just have no desire to talk in code when I can
speak very well.
Do you use a automobile to get from one distant place to another?
You do? That is pure laziness, the "L" word. Why don't you ride a
horse, bicycle, or better yet, walk. That is what folks did before
the automobile came along. You are just plain old LAZY. You have a
long way to go to ever grab me by the collar and you can't handle
the truth. End of story.

There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do
you operate them all?

Nope, not all -- but certainly a whole lot more than most hams do.

If that is what floats your boat, knock yourself out, but those
who choose not to play the ham radio game the same way you do does
not mean they are any less of a ham, except to your "I am
superior" way of thinking. Why don't you operate all the modes,
too lazy?

And
you know something totally strange? My Morse/CW proficiency doesn't
interfere one little bit in my enjoyment of other modes!

And you know something even more strange? For many hams, not being
as proficient as you claim to be in CW, and/or not operating in
that mode does not interfere one little bit with their enjoyment
of other modes either, and that includes myself.

Dick Carroll July 9th 03 04:23 PM

Robert Casey wrote:

Back in the early days of my HF career, I figured that if the band seems
empty, well either
propagation is out or everyone's asleep or at work or such. In any
event, there's nobody
to qso with, so check other bands.

But--- did you listen carefully for any very weak signals on CW? Often that
is the clue to what's happening, or about to happen, on an otherwise seemingly
dead band.
Sometimes when you tune around carefully, listening for any hint of signals,
you'll start something - you hear a very weak one, peak him up with your
receiver filtering, whatever you have to work with, listen long enough to ID him
and where he's located. If he signs off with the station he's working, and
you've tuned up, you give him a call. If he's copying as well as you, he answers
and suddenly you've turned a dead band into a QSO. More often than not, others
will hear you two in QSO and next thing you know they're either calling in
tailending you, or calling CQ nearby and drumming up their own contact. When you
next tune around, there'll be several QSO's going on on the "dead" band.

This scene plays out far more often than you would think, or used to back when
HF experienced hams were the norm rather than the exception. Sure is worth
trying, anyway.

Dick

Mike Coslo July 9th 03 06:42 PM

JJ wrote:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Yup -- got it right that time. CW *is* an operator skill.

Yes it is.

Do you have
something
against operator skill -- or are you one of those New Age hams that think
yakking into a microphone is all the demonstration of operator skill that
should
ever be required of you?

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate CW?
There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do you operate
them all?

No more than I have against someone who chooses to do satellite work,
while I have to test for it.

Rf Safety is required to be calculated for by people when they run over
a certain power. Why should someone who never intends to work over 50
watts have to test for RF safety?

If someone never intends to homebrew, why should they test on any
equations.

Sounds like we should maybe make up our own tests.

Funny -- nobody has ever been able to "discourage" me from doing anything
I wanted to do. I just went ahead and did it. I could care less what
other
people think, do,

The proper phrase is "I could NOT care less what other people think"

I could not care less if I could care less. 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 9th 03 09:34 PM

JJ wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Yup -- got it right that time. CW *is* an operator skill.

Do you have
something
against operator skill -- or are you one of those New Age hams that
think
yakking into a microphone is all the demonstration of operator skill
that
should
ever be required of you?

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW? There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do you
operate them all?

No more than I have against someone who chooses to do satellite
work, while I have to test for it.

What if you decide at some later time to do satellite work?

Correct!

Rf Safety is required to be calculated for by people when they run
over a certain power. Why should someone who never intends to work
over 50 watts have to test for RF safety?

What if they decide at some later point to increase their power?

Correct!

If someone never intends to homebrew, why should they test on any
equations.

What is they suddenly get the urge to build a homebrew transmitter or
amplifier?

Correct!

Sounds like we should maybe make up our own tests.

Maybe you had rather be call in to be tested on a new mode each time you
decide to operate a new mode.

Correct!
You do know I'm being a devil's advocate here?

Or better said, I really believe that an prospective amateur should get
as much education as possible. Removing the Morse code requirement,
while celebrated by some hams and prospective hams, is not a good
thing. They who celebrate this are celebrating advancement of ignorance.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Leland C. Scott July 9th 03 10:36 PM

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message
"Leland C. Scott" wrote ...

Are you really that "dense" Arnie where you

can't figure it out on your
own?

73's de,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

ARRL member
NCI member

________________

Nope, but anybody who refers to a straight key

as a "code key" and sends
73's is.

Dah, you mean all those fine southern operators on
75m that claim to have been Hams since the dawn of
the dinosaur have it all wrong! Gee I didn't know
that. ;-) My favorite group to monitor hangs out
around 3950 KHz more or less. One or more of them
have even offered to Elmer R.H. on several
occasions between beers.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

ARRL Member
NCI Member

Charter member of the
Lawrence Technological University
Wireless Society W8LTU

Mike Coslo July 10th 03 01:04 AM

Alun Palmer wrote:
Robert Casey wrote in
:

Phil Kane wrote:

[...]

Whatcha gonna run that software on?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 10th 03 01:12 AM

N2EY wrote:
[...]

From what I've read and seen, many newcomers today get the license first, then
set about putting a station together. Some did it that way back when, too - and
often they were the ones whose Novice licenses ran out before they were ready
for the General test.

Cart before the horse, IMHO.

It does make for some awkwardness. My own introduction to the ARS came
because I thought it might be nice to make use of the local autopatch in
support of one of my other hobbies, 4 wheeling. My wife is reasonable
about my getting stuck in the woods and having to dig myself out, but
she kinda likes to know about the delay.

So I got the tech license, and then joined the local club. The guys and
gals were great, and invited me to the local shack for a contest, and
bam, the rest is history.

So I had an unorthodox beginning in the hobby, and my licensing level
outraced my operating ability for some time. So it's just my experience
that makes me think about the mandatory wait period being a good thing.

- Mike KB3EIA -

N2EY July 10th 03 01:22 AM

In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
et...
"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Existing technicians may choose to utilize their
new privileges

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there've been any "new
privivleges" confered yet.

New privileges if the code requirement is dropped, as mentioned in the
thread in the past, and the basic tone of the thread in the first place.

If the FCC dumps Element 1 but makes no other changes to the rules, the only
folks to get any new privs will be Technicians who have not passed the code
test. They would get the same HF privileges as Novices and Techs who have
passed the code test.

Ironically, most of those privileges are for the use of code.

but the dropping of morse code completely is not going to
bring up our numbers any more than where we are at right now from a
month to month basis.

Probably correct.

Overall, from what I have seen listed in the N2EY postings, we average about
10,000 new licensees per month on average.

WHOA THERE!

The number of new ham licenses in the USA has been averaging about 2000 per
month for the past year or so, not 10,000. My posts in "ARS License Numbers"
show the current totals, not the number of new licenses.

Total growth in the 3 years and 3 months since restructuring has been about
10,000 hams.

There may be an inrush at first,
but for the most part I think it will still flatten back out to the average
10,000 per month growth. That is of course if nothing is done in regards to
promotion outside of the ham ranks more than is being done now.

There's a big difference between the number of new hams and the amount of
growth, because of expirations. Growth in the past 3+ years has been about 300
per month, not 10,000.

10,000 per month growth since restructuring would mean we'd be well over a
million US hams by now.

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article ,

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

Once the official FCC changes are made, by whatever method, I wonder
how long it will take the unlicensed to become licensed...Now that
there's NO excuse remaining?

There's always an excuse, Steve.

Here's and interesting query...and probabbly a tad trollish, but I

wonder...

How long (or short, actually) will it take for many of the No-code Techs
that used to proclaim that their VHF and up allocation was all they wanted
because it completely satisfied their "technical" needs to suddenly become
Generals and Extras. I seem to remember reading how they could pass

Element
1 if they wanted to but it would gain them nothing. I wonder if that's
changed?

I imagine, (IMHO) that some may elect to use them, some may not. My crystal
ball is a little fuzzy on this one. I know it will be a few years before I
could, regardless of what happens.

Exactly the case for many folks. There are three reasons for folks in that
situation to upgrade:

1) To nail down a vanity call that they want before somebody else gets it

2) To be able to be a VE or control op without having to worry about privs.

3) To have the license in hand so that when their situation changes, they can
take advantage of it. Example: the ham living in an apartment with no HF setup
may someday get a big raise and move to their dream shack. If they have the
license in hand, they'll be able to use it immediately.

Back in the bad old days I got my Extra for a couple of reasons:

- I wanted all privileges
- it was there
- it was easier and cheaper to get the license than to build or buy a
calibrator that could tell me where the subband edges were
- I figured that the requirements would just keep getting tougher, so the thing
to do was get it ASAP.

73 de Jim, N2EY

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo July 10th 03 02:03 AM

Alun Palmer wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:

Robert Casey wrote in
:

Phil Kane wrote:

[...]

Any old PC

Whose PC Alun? One of the test sessions I was at had at least 30 people
in it. Who is going to pay for those PC's? Will a VE have to supply his
or her own PC for other people to use? Maybe have to buy several to
allow everyone to test?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Larry Roll K3LT July 10th 03 03:34 AM

In article , JJ
writes:

[...]

Nope, not all -- but certainly a whole lot more than most hams do. And
you know something totally strange? My Morse/CW proficiency doesn't
interfere one little bit in my enjoyment of other modes!

Funny -- nobody has ever been able to "discourage" me from doing anything
I wanted to do. I just went ahead and did it. I could care less what

other
people think, do,

The proper phrase is "I could NOT care less what other people think"

Only if I couldn't care less -- and I can! Like right now!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Alun Palmer July 10th 03 04:18 AM

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:

Robert Casey wrote in
:

Phil Kane wrote:

[...]

Point taken. Maybe buy some cheap PCs from the Goodwill store and run
Linux on them? Write something in a portable interpreted language like
Tcl/Tk so it will run unchanged on Windows/MacOS/Linux/Unix. Hard to scale
up for large sessions, though, isn't it.

Bill Sohl July 10th 03 04:19 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , JJ
writes:

Do you have
something
against operator skill -- or are you one of those New Age hams that

think
yakking into a microphone is all the demonstration of operator skill

that
should
ever be required of you?

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW?

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S.

Yes sir, guess my lack of desire to play golf can best be attributed
to a lack of willingness to break my inertia and get down
to learing it. Just my basic laziness I guess...nothing at all
involving there's any personal choice, like or dislike involved.

Same ole Larry :-)

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Alun Palmer July 10th 03 04:27 AM

ospam (Larry Roll K3LT) wrote in
:

In article , JJ
writes:

[...]

So, the OP said he didn't want to _operate_ CW, but you then launched into
your spiel about him not wanting to take the test because he's lazy. He
probably doesn't want to take it, but I think you're missing the point,
and have been for years. And now it's all over bar the shouting.

Arnie Macy July 10th 03 10:53 AM

"Leland C. Scott" wrote ...

Dah, you mean all those fine southern operators on 75m that claim to have
been Hams since the dawn of the dinosaur have it all wrong! Gee I didn't
know that. ;-) My favorite group to monitor hangs out around 3950 KHz more
or less. One or more of them have even offered to Elmer R.H. on several
occasions between beers.
__

I don't hang out anywhere near 3950, Leland. But if you come on over to
3593 at around 7 EDT(Georgia State Traffic Net), you will more than likely
hear me. But, don't hold your breath waiting on someone referring to a
"code key" or sending 73's. You'll be waiting a very long time.

73,

Arnie -
KT4ST

"QSL nr 218 es 73 de KT4ST"

JJ July 10th 03 11:48 AM

N2EY wrote:

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate CW?
There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do you
operate them all?

No - do you?

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes. And I certainly do not
look down my nose and take a superior attitude toward those who
might choose to limit their operating to one mode like others here
on the group.

Mike Coslo July 10th 03 01:24 PM

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , JJ
writes:

Do you have
something
against operator skill -- or are you one of those New Age hams that think
yakking into a microphone is all the demonstration of operator skill that
should
ever be required of you?

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW?

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S. Hams who don't care or "don't want" to learn Morse code
are just plain old LAZY. Period. End of Story. Consider yourself to
have been grabbed by the collar and beaten with a club called The Truth!!!

Strongly put, but strongly accurate...

There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do
you operate them all?

Nope, not all -- but certainly a whole lot more than most hams do. And
you know something totally strange? My Morse/CW proficiency doesn't
interfere one little bit in my enjoyment of other modes!

Right there is exactly what I was talking about a few threads ago.
Nothing is lost by learning Morse Code. Why some people seem to think
that learning Morse code will make them forget something else is beyond
me. The one exception to that is learning to make wine or beer, and then
only when you drink the results.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 10th 03 01:32 PM

JJ wrote:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

[...]

You'll need a better argument than this JJ. I use an automobile, I know
how to ride a horse properly, bicycle occasionally and I walk quite a
bit. And laziness doesn't enter into the equation. If you are trying to
equate transport modes with ARS modes, you simply use the one that is
appropriate at the moment.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Dick Carroll July 10th 03 03:47 PM

Dick Carroll wrote:

Robert Casey wrote:

[...]

One more hint-some of the best DX contacts I've ever had occurred when I called
CQ
on a "dead" band. You get to work the rare one who answers without the "benefit"
of
the hounds, no pileup, no QRM, at least until enough others hear you working him
draw a crowd.

JJ July 10th 03 05:00 PM

Bill Sohl wrote:
..

So how come the other services abondoned morse as such a
valuable back-up?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

I am sure the Coast Guard and Navy are trembling in their boots
that the day will come when the only thing they may have to rely
on is CW and no one will have the skill.
The other services realized that CW has been outmoded for
communications for some time and finally gave it up. For hams it
is just another mode to communicate and those who like that mode
will learn it whether it is required or not. Don't set on the edge
of your chair Larry and Dick, anticipating the day when you and
your code skills are going to be the only thing to save the day.
With all the different types of coms available today, it ain't
going to happen. CW is outdated, but it will be a part of ham
radio for some time to come just because of the tradition, but
that is the only importance CW can hold in ham radio, tradition.

Arnie Macy July 10th 03 07:15 PM

"Dick Carroll" wrote ...

The question, obviously, is "How's he gonna know it's you???"

Dick,

I thought about saying just that. At our typical net speed of around 20wpm,
I seriously doubt he would pick up more than a letter or two every minute.

73,

Arnie -
KT4ST

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 11th 03 12:29 AM

On 09 Jul 2003 03:57:18 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

This is not "negativity," just a plainly truthful assessment of the present
situation regarding licensing standards in the ARS.

My own feeling is that anyone who would whine about having to
"prepare" for the Element 2 written exam probably has never touched a
radio in his/her life other than maybe an AM/FM broadcast receiver.

With that said, and upon further consideration, I have to admit that
you're probably right, there probably will be some...and telling them
about how we used to have to hike barefooted 50 mile suphill both ways
to and from an FCC office to take the code test and the gawdawfullest
written exams anybody ever heard of isn't going to cut it with those
folks either. I myself might prefer to take a more positive
approach...yes, it's a pain in the neck to have to read that silly
book but look at the privileges you get once it's all over with, etc.

Every time I hear someone lamenting the supposed dumbing down of the
ARS, I can't help but think of the number of longtime hams I've seen
over the past few years who brought a brand new 2m or dual-band mobile
or HT, or an Icom 706MKIIG or Yaesu FT-100 into a club meeting to seek
help in programming it.

I know what you're talking about -- and I'll concede up front that a lot of
these technically-inept OT's are 20 WPM Extras to boot! However, I have

I dunno if I'd call them technically inept. These are guys who've
probably forgotten more about theory than I've ever learned. There are
other reasons for their difficulty with programming today's radios.

always strove to keep up with the times as far as basic technical knowledge
is concerned -- and not just the bare minimum required to keep beeping
or yakking. I have always been involved in digital modes, for instance, and
now use them more than CW! I have been my club's "Digital Mode Captain"
for the past four Field Days, and will try to pass that job over to some
newcomer next year, if only I could find one willing to open some books and
turn some pages to learn everything I have -- instead of being "Elmered"
with "hands on" training which only gives them the basic operational
procedure and none of the background.

The last two years at Field Day, the only guy attempting any digital
mode other than CW was a no-code Tech. He made a few SSTV contacts.

I'm not talking about relative newcomers
either, I'm talking about guys who were hams before I was even born.

Yup, I know. They're a real problem, all right. Usually the leaders of
the "Don't PL our repeater" pack of whiners.

We were forced to PL ours about a year ago when a temperature
inversion brought in signals on the input from users of four different
repeaters 50-75 miles or more away from ours. Our repeater's
transmitter was keyed down almost nonstop for about three hours one
day. That was the end...the technical committee decided it was easier
to beg forgiveness than obtain permission and enabled CTCSS on the
input (we'd been transmitting the tone on the output for years to
benefit those with radios with CTCSS decode). Funny thing was, nobody
really complained to the board or to the committee. There was one
group of four or five guys whose regular chitchat on every other
morning moved to another repeater because one of the guys has an older
radio that can't even transmit the tone let alone decode it on
receive, but they seemed to understand why we had to do it. They were
all older hams, but none of them has so far brought in a 2m rig to get
help programming it.

Furthermore, sometimes it's a no-code Tech who picks up the
old-timer's HT and shows him how to program it.

Sometimes, but certainly not often enough. The No-Code Techs are at the
top of the list of the technically inept, in spite of their protests to the
contrary.

In our club there are basically two guys they usually bring 'em to.
One is me (current General) and the other is a Technician. We've done
so many now that we generally just sit down and program the club
repeater into a memory (proper offset and tone of course) while they
stand there holding the manual and shaking their heads...but when we
first started we read a lot of manuals that were very obviously
written in Japanese and then translated into English and were very
little help even to us - and we've been programming programmable
radios almost since the first programmable scanners hit the market
(remember the old Bearcat 100?).

Never mind that the
HT's owner could have learned this for himself by reading the manual,
because many manufactuers' manuals leave a lot to be desired, and
we're talking about guys who once built microphones out of tuna fish
cans and can do 40WPM or better in their sleep.

Quite frankly, the tuna fish-can mics didn't sound that great, and the
40 WPM in their sleep would have sounded a lot better if they had used
25 WPM while wide awake.

Perhaps...but some of these guys are really amazing. We have at least
one guy in our club who can sit there and hold a conversation with
five other people, while across the room two guys are working a CW
contest, one operating and the other logging, and all of a sudden
he'll turn around and tell the ops, "Work that guy, we need him!"
Invariably when the call is punched into the dupe checker, we do in
fact need that contact for a multiplier, too.

This has always been the case, John -- I was one of the "technical
nerds" when I was a newcomer ham as well -- much to the dismay of
the OT's in my first club. And I don't claim to be a technical genius
or anything like it -- I have strictly "amateur" technical skills. I am,
however, technically self-sufficient as far as my own station set-up and
operation is concerned, and I have enough know-how to maintain our
club's repeaters, do all our computer logging for Field Day and other
contests, etc. etc.

I've always set up my own station equipment too. It hasn't fallen to
me to maintain a repeater yet. I understand the theory behind 'em but
haven't gained practical experience working on a repeater.

I don't disagree with you whatsoever about the technical abilities of
hams past or present. However, I don't assign that technical inability
to knowledge of the Morse code, either. The two are not related, no
matter how hard the no-coders struggle to make that very same
connection in their arguments.

Yet above you said (and I cut and paste here):

Sometimes, but certainly not often enough. The No-Code Techs are at the
top of the list of the technically inept, in spite of their protests to the
contrary.

Presumably, then, this means that the lack of technical proficiency is
not related to the lack of CW skills. Well...Technician is the
entry-level license. A Tech isn't expected to have attained the same
level of technical proficiency as an Extra or a General. When they do,
they take another test (or currently, two tests) and upgrade.

BTW, Larry, you were supposed to look me up when you came up this way,
I still owe you a roast beef from a bet we made several years ago and
you haven't even bothered to collect your winnings.

My apologies. I don't even remember the bet. I guess my brain is too
full of Morse code knowledge to retain such things, eh? Please refresh
my memory!

This happened during the weeks just prior to restructuring. There was
a discussion of how many license classes we were going to end up with.
Your prediction of three classes turned out to be correct. I'd
predicted two, and so still owe you a roast beef sandwich at Swiston's
in Tonawanda...when you get up to the Northtowns on one of your
occasional trips back to western NY.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 11th 03 12:29 AM

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:20:17 GMT, Dick Carroll
wrote:

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes.

So a ham who operates all modes except that he cannot operate radiotlegraphy
because he doewn't know Morse code, is just as well qualified as a ham who
operates all those and also can operate radiotelegraphy.

Surely you can understand the fallacy of your own argument,
all other considerations aside.

The question becomes, qualified to do what?

The fact that I do not have a license to drive a motorcycle does not
make me any less qualified to drive a car. Similarly, the fact that I
choose not to operate in CW purely out of personal preference makes me
no less qualified to operate phone, packet, PSK31, etc.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 11th 03 12:29 AM

On 10 Jul 2003 02:34:45 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW?

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S. Hams who don't care or "don't want" to learn Morse code
are just plain old LAZY. Period. End of Story. Consider yourself to
have been grabbed by the collar and beaten with a club called The Truth!!!

Still on that kick, eh?

How about a ham who learned it (at least well enough to pass a 5WPM
code test) and now chooses not to operate in that mode anyway? Is that
laziness too, or is it a ham exercising his/her right to operate in
whatever mode he/she chooses from among those permitted to him/her
under the privileges granted by his/her license? (and it is not my
intention to trip you on the point that no-code techs are permitted to
operate in CW anywhere that they have privileges)

There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do
you operate them all?

Nope, not all -- but certainly a whole lot more than most hams do. And
you know something totally strange? My Morse/CW proficiency doesn't
interfere one little bit in my enjoyment of other modes!

Even though I learned the code well enough to pass a test, I don't
consider myself proficient at it. My lack of proficiency doesn't

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 11th 03 12:29 AM

On 11 Jul 2003 02:08:29 GMT, ospam (Larry Roll K3LT)
wrote:

It is a plain fact that future hams who do not face a code tesing requirement
for licensing are going to be less capable communicators than myself and
others who did. The only thing that got me into the use of the Morse/CW
mode was the requirement to learn it. It made me a better ham in every
respect. The New Age non-code tested hams will be inferior for the lack of
this requirement.

The only reason I learned code was that it was required to upgrade
beyond Technician class. Passing the code test would have made me a
Tech Plus and earned me some phone privileges on 10m and CW on several
other bands...except that I took the General class written at the same
VE session, and passed it, walking out with General class privileges.

At that point, I could communicate using CW at 5 WPM. At the same
point, I could also communicate using phone at a significantly faster
rate than 5 WPM since I can speak a lot faster than that. I could
also communicate using PSK31 at a significantly faster rate than 5 WPM
since I can type a lot faster than that. Thus, for me the use of
another mode is more efficient for me than to use CW. I would actually
be a less capable communicator if I used CW than I am using another
mode. My facing the code testing requirement did not affect my ability
to speak or to type.

Well, everyone's estimate of their "enjoyment" of ham radio is a subjective
thing. However, in this age where we're trying to justify our hold on
literally
billions of dollars worth of commercially viable spectrum, we place a great
emphasis on our capabilities as "emergency" communicators. Unfortunately,
the least reliable modes we employ are those that depend on voice
communication -- and these modes are the first to "go South" when
atmospheric conditions and man-made interference do not operate in our
favor.

These days, the vast majority of emergency communications is done on a
local basis, primarily on 2m using FM repeaters and simplex. 70cm is
probably the next most widely used band for this purpose. Neither is
subject to the propagation difficulties often encountered on HF.

In my own estimation, the biggest problem with emergency
communications in the ARS right now isn't the people who don't know
CW, it's the people who think their 5-watt (or 2-watt, or 150
mkilliwatt) HT and its 650mAh battery pack is all they need to
function as an emergency communicator when the proverbial merde hits
the proverbial ventillateur.

Morse/CW allows us to overcome the majority of those obstacles,
but only those who know how to effectively employ this mode are qualified
to make that judgment.

Actually, it's the agencies served by our ARES and RACES and other
emergency communications groups who are best qualified to judge the
effectiveness of our contributions. The ones I've worked with so far
have expressed high praise for the efforts of our team of hams, and we
have yet to use CW during an activation.

Therefore, your argument about "enjoyment" is,
as are most NCTA arguments, self-serving at best.

Apples and oranges, perhaps. Only the most masochistic among us would
claim to actually enjoy pulling a 12- or 14-hour shift in a chilly EOC
or standing in a street in the middle of an ice storm. Emergency
communications isn't done for enjoyment. DX'ing, contesting, and
casual ragchewing are done for enjoyment, and if one enjoys using CW
for such activities, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing so.
For those who do not enjoy using CW, the same activities can also be
enjoyed using other modes.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Radio Amateur KC2HMZ July 11th 03 12:29 AM

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:19:38 -0400, "Bill Sohl"
wrote:

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S.
Hams who don't care or "don't want" to learn Morse code

are just plain old LAZY. Period. End of Story. Consider yourself to
have been grabbed by the collar and beaten with a club called The Truth!!!

Yes sir, guess my lack of desire to play golf can best be attributed
to a lack of willingness to break my inertia and get down
to learing it. Just my basic laziness I guess...nothing at all
involving there's any personal choice, like or dislike involved.

Same ole Larry :-)

No, Bill - it's the fact that you couldn't find that club called The
Truth in your golf bag...even though you left it right there between
the three wood and the sand wedge. ;-)

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Larry Roll K3LT July 11th 03 03:08 AM

In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S.

Yes sir, guess my lack of desire to play golf can best be attributed
to a lack of willingness to break my inertia and get down
to learing it. Just my basic laziness I guess...nothing at all
involving there's any personal choice, like or dislike involved.

Same ole Larry :-)

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Bill:

Nice try, but not quite the same thing. A prospective ham not wanting to
learn and/or use the Morse code is like a prospective golfer not wanting
to learn how to putt, because all he wants to do is drive golf balls for
distance. Well, even I can drive a bucket balls at the range to kill an
afternoon, but I'd never call myself a "golfer."

Morse/CW is an essential communications skill for anyone who is going
to consider him/herself to be an effective amateur radio operator. This
is the one skill which gives them the ability to keep on communicating
under adverse conditions that put an end to communication using less
robust or more equipment and electrical capacity-dependent modes. It
gives us the ultimate in emergency backup communications capability,
which is ever-so important and politically-correct for hams these days.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Kim W5TIT July 11th 03 03:43 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message

It is a plain fact that future hams who do not face a code tesing

requirement
for licensing are going to be less capable communicators than myself and
others who did. The only thing that got me into the use of the Morse/CW
mode was the requirement to learn it. It made me a better ham in every
respect. The New Age non-code tested hams will be inferior for the lack

of
this requirement.

So, it's your blatant disregard for the possibility that "future hams" will
be quite interested in CW and will learn the mode just because they *WANTED*
to and not because it was required? You didn't learn CW because you wanted
to but because you had to. So, what're you gonna say to those who will
obviously be a better ham than you because they learned CW out of wanting
to, not needing to?

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to

Bill Sohl July 11th 03 04:30 AM

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

JJ wrote:

N2EY wrote:

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate

CW?
There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do you
operate them all?

No - do you?

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes.

So a ham who operates all modes except that he cannot operate

radiotlegraphy
because he doewn't know Morse code, is just as well qualified as a ham who
operates all those and also can operate radiotelegraphy.

Surely you can understand the fallacy of your own argument,
all other considerations aside.

Of course there is a fallacy since "operate" gives no indication
as to actual level of expertise, the ham who operates all modes except
CW could well be far more qualified then the ham who operates
all modes including CW. For the record, the opposite could also be
true and they might actually be equally qualified.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Bill Sohl July 11th 03 04:35 AM

writes:

[...]

So you will claim tillhell freezes over I assume. Only
problem is, your claim failed at the only place that
counts...the FCC.

Mike Coslo July 11th 03 04:59 AM

Bill Sohl wrote:

So how come the other services abondoned morse as such a
valuable back-up?

One big reason is that they can then use a not-so-skilled operator.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Ryan, KC8PMX July 11th 03 05:47 AM

Wish more people thought that way about 6 meters!

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Carl R. Stevenson July 11th 03 02:12 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message

You mean like the folks who look down their noses at me because I operate
mostly CW?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim,

WHO looks down their noses at yhou because you operate mostly CW?
(certainly not me ...)

73,
Carl - wk3c

Dick Carroll July 11th 03 03:53 PM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message

You mean like the folks who look down their noses at me because I operate
mostly CW?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim,

WHO looks down their noses at yhou because you operate mostly CW?
(certainly not me ...)

73,
Carl - wk3c

Ah do believe Google could show otherwise.

JJ July 11th 03 05:32 PM

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Again, follow the money and you'll learn the truth. The cost of hiring,
training, and providing pay and benefits to CW-proficient radio operators
is the key factor in play here.

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an
outdated, antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are
living in your ham radio dream world too stubborn to see the truth.

JJ July 11th 03 05:48 PM

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

True -- when the "emergency" is confined to a small locality and the VHF/
UHF repeater infrastructure remains intact. However, what if there is a
widespread disaster -- such as the "Big One" striking the San Andreas fault
line in California? That will not be a "local" disaster -- it will affect the
entire country. Vast regions hundreds of miles in radius will be affected,
and the commercial communications and existing Amateur Radio
infrastructures and the power grids they depend on will be disrupted for
God only knows how long. At that point, we could be talking about areas
with populations of hundreds of thousands of people being out of
communication with the area "outside" the disaster zone. Communications
nets spanning many times the normal operational range of terresterial
VHF/UHF systems will be necessary -- and don't look now, but we're
coming to the downside of the solar cycle -- meaning poor propagation.
I guarantee you that there will be lots of opportunities for No-Code HF
Ham Heroes to help out, but when conditions dictate the use of CW, in
order to be able to communicate when voice and data modes fail due to
lack of available electrical power or poor atmospherics, that capability
will not be available because it will not have been learned. That's when
some guy like me will enter the picture, and say, "Step aside, Sonny,
and take your toy microphone with you." Then he'll plug in his key and
re-establish contact with the outside world. Of course, you will never
be convinced that that could happen -- so you'll just have to hope it doesn't.
In the meantime, I'll be ready!

John, you have to realize that Larry and his huge ego are just
waiting for the above scenario to happen so he can "save the
world" with his CW skills. He is in complete denial that when this
big disaster happens, he and his CW skills will mean nothing. I
can just see him waving his code key shouting "I can save the day
with my CW" at the officials who will laugh their ass off at him.
Read his "step aside Sonny" above and the picture of Larry and his
ego becomes very clear.
I have been a ham for over forty years, have participated in many
disaster situations, and I have never seen conditions where CW
was the only means of communication that would get through, even
at the bottom of the solar cycles. Guys like Larry live in a "I am
superior to you because of my CW skills" dream world.

JJ July 11th 03 05:50 PM

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , JJ
writes:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Well, on behalf of my colleague Dick (that's MISTER Carroll to you, BOY!)
it's nice to know that we're providing a much needed service to the ARS!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Anyone ever tell you what a pompous ass you really are Larry?
That's MISTER JJ to you little BOY!!