RadioBanter

-   -   Now That It's "Over"... (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26598-now-its-%22over%22.html)

N2EY July 10th 03 01:22 AM

In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
et...
"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Existing technicians may choose to utilize their
new privileges

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there've been any "new
privivleges" confered yet.

New privileges if the code requirement is dropped, as mentioned in the
thread in the past, and the basic tone of the thread in the first place.

If the FCC dumps Element 1 but makes no other changes to the rules, the only
folks to get any new privs will be Technicians who have not passed the code
test. They would get the same HF privileges as Novices and Techs who have
passed the code test.

Ironically, most of those privileges are for the use of code.

but the dropping of morse code completely is not going to
bring up our numbers any more than where we are at right now from a
month to month basis.

Probably correct.

Overall, from what I have seen listed in the N2EY postings, we average about
10,000 new licensees per month on average.

WHOA THERE!

The number of new ham licenses in the USA has been averaging about 2000 per
month for the past year or so, not 10,000. My posts in "ARS License Numbers"
show the current totals, not the number of new licenses.

Total growth in the 3 years and 3 months since restructuring has been about
10,000 hams.

There may be an inrush at first,
but for the most part I think it will still flatten back out to the average
10,000 per month growth. That is of course if nothing is done in regards to
promotion outside of the ham ranks more than is being done now.

There's a big difference between the number of new hams and the amount of
growth, because of expirations. Growth in the past 3+ years has been about 300
per month, not 10,000.

10,000 per month growth since restructuring would mean we'd be well over a
million US hams by now.

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article ,

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

Once the official FCC changes are made, by whatever method, I wonder
how long it will take the unlicensed to become licensed...Now that
there's NO excuse remaining?

There's always an excuse, Steve.

Here's and interesting query...and probabbly a tad trollish, but I

wonder...

How long (or short, actually) will it take for many of the No-code Techs
that used to proclaim that their VHF and up allocation was all they wanted
because it completely satisfied their "technical" needs to suddenly become
Generals and Extras. I seem to remember reading how they could pass

Element
1 if they wanted to but it would gain them nothing. I wonder if that's
changed?

I imagine, (IMHO) that some may elect to use them, some may not. My crystal
ball is a little fuzzy on this one. I know it will be a few years before I
could, regardless of what happens.

Exactly the case for many folks. There are three reasons for folks in that
situation to upgrade:

1) To nail down a vanity call that they want before somebody else gets it

2) To be able to be a VE or control op without having to worry about privs.

3) To have the license in hand so that when their situation changes, they can
take advantage of it. Example: the ham living in an apartment with no HF setup
may someday get a big raise and move to their dream shack. If they have the
license in hand, they'll be able to use it immediately.

Back in the bad old days I got my Extra for a couple of reasons:

- I wanted all privileges
- it was there
- it was easier and cheaper to get the license than to build or buy a
calibrator that could tell me where the subband edges were
- I figured that the requirements would just keep getting tougher, so the thing
to do was get it ASAP.

73 de Jim, N2EY

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo July 10th 03 02:03 AM

Alun Palmer wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:

Robert Casey wrote in
:

Phil Kane wrote:

The questions come out of computer at a speed which is dependent on
how fast the applicant is answering them. Scramble the questions
and the multi-choice answers so that if one memorizes the "little
red book" of all the questions and answers it won't help unless
s/he understands and knows the material.

The machine keeps feeding questions until it is a guaranteed "pass"
or a guaranteed "fail" and then it terminates the exam session. The
applicant does not know whether s/he passed or not until the
results are sent by mail. Just like the olden days.....

Back in 1994 I lived in Oregon for a year. The written driver's test
at the DMV was
done with a computer with touch screen. I knew how many questions I
got wrong, but
lost track of how many more I had to complete during the test. Then
it told me that
I passed and my score, around 92%.

Paper tests generated just before the VE session via computer would be
cheaper and
easier than dedicated hardware like that DMV had anyway.

It wouldn't need dedicated hardware - just software

Whatcha gonna run that software on?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Any old PC

Whose PC Alun? One of the test sessions I was at had at least 30 people
in it. Who is going to pay for those PC's? Will a VE have to supply his
or her own PC for other people to use? Maybe have to buy several to
allow everyone to test?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Larry Roll K3LT July 10th 03 03:34 AM

In article , JJ
writes:

Do you have
something
against operator skill -- or are you one of those New Age hams that think
yakking into a microphone is all the demonstration of operator skill that
should
ever be required of you?

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW?

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S. Hams who don't care or "don't want" to learn Morse code
are just plain old LAZY. Period. End of Story. Consider yourself to
have been grabbed by the collar and beaten with a club called The Truth!!!

There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do
you operate them all?

Nope, not all -- but certainly a whole lot more than most hams do. And
you know something totally strange? My Morse/CW proficiency doesn't
interfere one little bit in my enjoyment of other modes!

Funny -- nobody has ever been able to "discourage" me from doing anything
I wanted to do. I just went ahead and did it. I could care less what

other
people think, do,

The proper phrase is "I could NOT care less what other people think"

Only if I couldn't care less -- and I can! Like right now!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Alun Palmer July 10th 03 04:18 AM

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:

Robert Casey wrote in
:

Phil Kane wrote:

[...]

Point taken. Maybe buy some cheap PCs from the Goodwill store and run
Linux on them? Write something in a portable interpreted language like
Tcl/Tk so it will run unchanged on Windows/MacOS/Linux/Unix. Hard to scale
up for large sessions, though, isn't it.

Bill Sohl July 10th 03 04:19 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , JJ
writes:

Do you have
something
against operator skill -- or are you one of those New Age hams that

think
yakking into a microphone is all the demonstration of operator skill

that
should
ever be required of you?

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW?

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S.

Yes sir, guess my lack of desire to play golf can best be attributed
to a lack of willingness to break my inertia and get down
to learing it. Just my basic laziness I guess...nothing at all
involving there's any personal choice, like or dislike involved.

Same ole Larry :-)

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Alun Palmer July 10th 03 04:27 AM

ospam (Larry Roll K3LT) wrote in
:

In article , JJ
writes:

[...]

So, the OP said he didn't want to _operate_ CW, but you then launched into
your spiel about him not wanting to take the test because he's lazy. He
probably doesn't want to take it, but I think you're missing the point,
and have been for years. And now it's all over bar the shouting.

Arnie Macy July 10th 03 10:53 AM

"Leland C. Scott" wrote ...

Dah, you mean all those fine southern operators on 75m that claim to have
been Hams since the dawn of the dinosaur have it all wrong! Gee I didn't
know that. ;-) My favorite group to monitor hangs out around 3950 KHz more
or less. One or more of them have even offered to Elmer R.H. on several
occasions between beers.
__

I don't hang out anywhere near 3950, Leland. But if you come on over to
3593 at around 7 EDT(Georgia State Traffic Net), you will more than likely
hear me. But, don't hold your breath waiting on someone referring to a
"code key" or sending 73's. You'll be waiting a very long time.

73,

Arnie -
KT4ST

"QSL nr 218 es 73 de KT4ST"

JJ July 10th 03 11:48 AM

N2EY wrote:

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate CW?
There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do you
operate them all?

No - do you?

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes. And I certainly do not
look down my nose and take a superior attitude toward those who
might choose to limit their operating to one mode like others here
on the group.

Mike Coslo July 10th 03 01:24 PM

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , JJ
writes:

Do you have
something
against operator skill -- or are you one of those New Age hams that think
yakking into a microphone is all the demonstration of operator skill that
should
ever be required of you?

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate
CW?

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S. Hams who don't care or "don't want" to learn Morse code
are just plain old LAZY. Period. End of Story. Consider yourself to
have been grabbed by the collar and beaten with a club called The Truth!!!

Strongly put, but strongly accurate...

There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do
you operate them all?

Nope, not all -- but certainly a whole lot more than most hams do. And
you know something totally strange? My Morse/CW proficiency doesn't
interfere one little bit in my enjoyment of other modes!

Right there is exactly what I was talking about a few threads ago.
Nothing is lost by learning Morse Code. Why some people seem to think
that learning Morse code will make them forget something else is beyond
me. The one exception to that is learning to make wine or beer, and then
only when you drink the results.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 10th 03 01:32 PM

JJ wrote:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

[...]

You are a real piece of work Larry. I haven't worked CW in years, I
still could but I just have no desire to talk in code when I can speak
very well.
Do you use a automobile to get from one distant place to another? You
do? That is pure laziness, the "L" word. Why don't you ride a horse,
bicycle, or better yet, walk. That is what folks did before the
automobile came along. You are just plain old LAZY. You have a long way
to go to ever grab me by the collar and you can't handle the truth. End
of story.

You'll need a better argument than this JJ. I use an automobile, I know
how to ride a horse properly, bicycle occasionally and I walk quite a
bit. And laziness doesn't enter into the equation. If you are trying to
equate transport modes with ARS modes, you simply use the one that is
appropriate at the moment.

- Mike KB3EIA -