RadioBanter

-   -   Two years? (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26653-re-two-years.html)

Jim Hampton July 20th 03 01:26 AM

Two years?

If you read Scott's answer, you'll have something to consider. A couple of
folks tested out through extra but missed the Morse. They have 365 days to
pass the 5 word per minute code with no other testing, or they can wait. It
would appear, since they took and passed (except for code) the extra, that
they are going to get that extra regardless of whether the code is retained
or dropped. My suggestion is take the theory tests; when you've got that,
there is a *ton* of incentive to do whatever it takes. I've heard that some
countries are already going to drop the requirements; I don't know if that
is true or not. Certainly the requirement will go away; when, I'm not sure.
Pass the theory exams and I'll bet anyone will then study and be ready to
pass the CW from zero inside of 3 weeks or less :)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get
their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

- Mike KB3EIA -

---

Mike Coslo July 20th 03 01:31 AM

Scott Unit 69 wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get
their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

- Mike KB3EIA -

Are you trolling or asking a question?

Personally, I hope the action takes a lot less time. I hold a CSCE for General,
and missed Extra by two questions. (Without ever cracking a book.)

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an outdated
mode of communication. If BPL comes to fruition, HF privs will be a mute point,
however, CW may be the only mode that works.

As it is, I am responsible for 4 amateur tickets, mine, two other newbies,
and one renew. There is another newbie taking their test soon.

Mike, some are leaders, and some are sheople. Baaaaaaa.

Bitch at me all you want, I'm wearing Nomex underwear.

And You are a sheople. Enjoy!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Alun Palmer July 20th 03 02:46 AM

"D. Stussy" wrote in
.org:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:
Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to
ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years
to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

If you pass the code test and get it now, then you won't have to face
the wrath of the idiots on this group complaining about your "inferior"
license giving you equal authority to operate as theirs. :-)

Whilst that's true, they don't even approve of those of us who don't
_operate_ CW !!!

Robert Casey July 20th 03 02:57 AM

Scott Unit 69 wrote:

Personally, I hope the action takes a lot less time. I hold a CSCE for General,
and missed Extra by two questions. (Without ever cracking a book.)

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an outdated
mode of communication.

Hell, it only took two weeks for me to learn 5 wpm code, and I'm bad at
"motor" skills.
(Motor skill is that sort of thing you have to repeatidly practice to
force your brain to
do some new wiring to aquire the skill).

Just learn the damm code..... You just might find it fun, like Larry
did.

Mike Coslo July 20th 03 03:04 AM

D. Stussy wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

If you pass the code test and get it now, then you won't have to face the wrath
of the idiots on this group complaining about your "inferior" license giving
you equal authority to operate as theirs. :-)

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do something I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long to
wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket sooner.

- Mike KB3EIA

Alun Palmer July 20th 03 03:11 AM

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

D. Stussy wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to
ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years
to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

If you pass the code test and get it now, then you won't have to face
the wrath of the idiots on this group complaining about your
"inferior" license giving you equal authority to operate as theirs.
:-)

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do something
I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long
to wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket
sooner.

- Mike KB3EIA

I don't know where that estimate came from. It isn't likely to take more
than a year.

D. Stussy July 20th 03 03:59 AM

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:
D. Stussy wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:
Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

If you pass the code test and get it now, then you won't have to face the wrath
of the idiots on this group complaining about your "inferior" license giving
you equal authority to operate as theirs. :-)

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do something I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long to
wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket sooner.

1) It's not certainly worse than any other reason one can think of.
2) If he reads here, then he escapes their wrath against the "no-code extra."
3) Is my post any worse than anything else that is posted here? :-)

I couldn't care less what our resident ghouls think.... Maybe they should go
start a new newsgroup: rec.radio.amateur.degeneration

I don't think that anybody really cares anymore... All I ever hear here is a
bunch of code bashing, ARRL bashing (and I'm NOT a member or supporter of them
either), a whole bunch of inside jokes and useless posts, and I haven't even
covered the foolishness of such characters as Stewart Tease and his MURS crap.

As long as we're going to end up eliminating the code element from testing, why
not simplify amateur radio licensing even more? There only need be two
classes:
1 - for HF (any and all operation below 30MHz), and
2 - for VHF and above (above 30MHz).
A person can hold both classes (a 1+2 license) if one passed both tests.
Class 2 is NOT a prerequisite for class 1. We could call a 1+2 a class 3
license, but I wanted to demonstrate the independence of each class.

Transitions:
Novice: No credit. Cancelled upon expiration ("upgrade or die").
Technician (no code): Class 2 only.
Technician (w/ HF): Class 2 only. (The code element is worthless)
General, Adv, Extra: Class 1+2.
Pre-1987 Technicians are equivalent to general so they will get a 1+2 license.

Only a class 2 license can be a repeater trustee.... Except for 10m, since
repeaters must be above 30MHz, this isn't really a problem. Satellite
trusteeship will require a class 1+2 license.

I'm assuming that there will be too much resistance to a SINGLE license class.

Larry Roll K3LT July 20th 03 05:39 AM

In article , Scott Unit 69
writes:

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an
outdated
mode of communication. If BPL comes to fruition, HF privs will be a mute
point,
however, CW may be the only mode that works.

Scotty:

Hey, I know what you mean about those darned ole outdated modes
of communication. Once you get your No-Code test General or
Extra, wanna make a sked to work some Hellschreiber with me?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT July 20th 03 05:39 AM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike:

I wonder if the NCTA's will figure out a way to get the FCC to fast-track
this process?

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go

by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

I learned the hard way. I waited 14 years, and lost out on what could have
been the best years of my ham radio career! Now I'm 50 years old, and
won't even qualify for QCWA membership for another three years!

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

Anyone who waits the (up to) two years a US No-code General/Extra
may take would appear to be interested only in being lazy. A classic
filter feeder.

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get

their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I'll provide them some incentive: As of now, 20 July 2003 at 0321 hrs UTC,
any prospective US ham who learns the code at the gruelling speed of 5
WPM, passes the test, and gets their Extra will be considered by me to
be a full-fledged ham as long as they regularly use at least one non-voice
mode on-the-air at least 40 percent of their total operating time. Wow --
is that a deal or what?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT July 20th 03 05:39 AM

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do something
I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long
to wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket
sooner.

Considering the fact that most people can pass a 5 WPM code test
right after learning basic character recognition (about two weeks' effort
if you take your time), it would be insane to wait two whole years to
get your General- or Extra-class ham ticket. However, a lot of wannabe
hams out there will probably do just that! It's their funeral -- they don't
know what they're missing!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Steve Robeson, K4CAP July 20th 03 11:26 AM

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

I am willing to bet that some sort of "moratorium" on code
testing is announced within the next 60 days. Just an
opinion...nothing certain

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Knowing what I know about how much fun I've had with Amateur
Radio all these years, I'd say do it, get it over with and join the
fun! I liken this to a cure for cancer...Would you delay radiation
therapy in the hopes that "the" cure would be forthcoming
"tomorrow"...?!?!

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

The only way to answer that is to have experienced it...No one
can speak for you. All I can say is that it's been a blast, no
matter WHAT mode I was operating!

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get
their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I think you are doing yourself a diservice by that line of
thinking, Mike. Only you can answer that question for yourself, and
anything anyone else can offer (myself included) is nothing more than
opinion or conjecture.

73

Steve, K4YZ

N2EY July 20th 03 01:21 PM

One thing I forgot to put in previous post:

The peak of the sunspot cycle is past, and we're heading full-tilt into sunspot
minimum. Conditions on HF will be quite different than some folks are used to,
particularly on the bands above 10 MHz, at night, and in the winter.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Alun Palmer July 20th 03 01:37 PM

ospam (Larry Roll K3LT) wrote in
:

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do
something I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long
to wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket
sooner.

Considering the fact that most people can pass a 5 WPM code test
right after learning basic character recognition (about two weeks'
effort if you take your time), it would be insane to wait two whole
years to get your General- or Extra-class ham ticket. However, a lot
of wannabe hams out there will probably do just that! It's their
funeral -- they don't know what they're missing!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Oddly enough, I tend to agree. However, it may be worth waiting just long
enough to find out what the FCC is going to do, as right now we don't know
how long the wait will be.

Alun Palmer July 20th 03 01:59 PM

writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike:

I wonder if the NCTA's will figure out a way to get the FCC to
fast-track this process?

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years
to go

by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

I learned the hard way. I waited 14 years, and lost out on what could
have been the best years of my ham radio career! Now I'm 50 years old,
and won't even qualify for QCWA membership for another three years!

I'm 45 and only two years short of QCWA, because I got my no-code licence
back in G-land in 1980. It's a huge irony that I've been a ham longer, not
because I was willing to learn the code, but because I was willing to
compromise and start with a no-code licence! BTW, the QCWA favour
abolition of the code test. Are you sure you want to join?

You gave a G0L__ as your old call, but that's too recent to be 1983, isn't
it?

[...]

I suppose Larry will never consider me a fully-fledged ham, even with 20
wpm, 'cause I operate 100% phone, LOL.

Kim W5TIT July 20th 03 01:59 PM

writes:

[...]

To besmirch someone because they don't, or wait to, upgrade is quite
ridiculous. What if someone is happy with Tech/Tech+, General, etc.?

My husband is a General, has been for I don't know how long, a few years
anyway. I haven't seen a thing he can do that piques my interest enough to
desire an upgrade to do them. In fact, for the past year at least, the
Yaesu 890FT has been completely disconnected (we remodeled this room and the
radio's just never been hooked back up).

People are not missing anything by not upgrading, if the upgraded privileges
don't provide anything more they wish.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via
Complaints to

Dave Heil July 20th 03 02:10 PM

Scott Unit 69 wrote:

Bitch at me all you want, I'm wearing Nomex underwear.

That has to be uncomfortable.

Dave K8MN

Kim W5TIT July 20th 03 02:35 PM

writes:

[...]

Dave Heil's a much better challenge! ;)

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via
Complaints to

Dan/W4NTI July 20th 03 05:33 PM

"Scott Unit 69" wrote in message

Mike Coslo wrote:

[...]

Came within two questions of passing the Extra without cracking a book.

Further proof of the dumbing down of the ARS.

Dan/W4NTI

Vshah101 July 20th 03 06:10 PM

From: (Steve Robeson, K4CAP)

I liken this to a cure for cancer.

Morse code as a cure for cancer or cause of cancer, whats the difference. If
you smoke cigarettes, you know its bad for you, but its enjoyable so you keep
doing it.

I'd say do it, get it over with and join the
fun!

Yes, Morse code is fun, I guess. Its good to have as many people as possible
using Morse code.

I don't want a test requirement for Morse code. I won't use Morse code, but I
want others to use Morse code.

Dee D. Flint July 20th 03 07:09 PM

writes:

[...]

You repeatedly misconstrue what people are saying. None of us ridicules or
besmirches the person who does not upgrade because they have no interest in
the privileges of the higher class. They have achieved their personal goals
regarding ham radio and found their niche. What we oppose is the person
that wants the privileges of the higher class but refuses to do the work to
get them. I know some people that want to be a general but not only have
they been waiting for years for the elimination of the code test but have
refuses to even try.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Brian July 20th 03 11:46 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message ...
"Alun Palmer" wrote in message

I suppose Larry will never consider me a fully-fledged ham, even with 20
wpm, 'cause I operate 100% phone, LOL.

Dave Heil's a much better challenge! ;)

Kim W5TIT

I dunno. He has his weaknesses. Frenchmen on 6M SSB seem to be a
pretty good hook for Dave. But their damned accents are so hard to
fake. Good luck Alun.

Brian

Len Over 21 July 21st 03 12:29 AM

In article , ospam
(Larry Roll K3LT) writes:

Hey, I know what you mean about those darned ole outdated modes
of communication. Once you get your No-Code test General or
Extra, wanna make a sked to work some Hellschreiber with me?

Larrah, you need to get your hearing checked. A long time ago,
someone did NOT say to you, "Go to Hellschreiber." They just
had name confused with another. :-)

LHA

Alex V Flinsch July 21st 03 01:22 AM

On or about Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:33:11 -0500, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote about the following in article
:

Came within two questions of passing the Extra without cracking a book.

I passed the general and extra exams without cracking open a book either.
I have yet to take the code test.

Further proof of the dumbing down of the ARS.

Nope, a good solid understanding of electronics from books cracked open 20
years ago.

--
Alex / KC2IVL
ft100 software for Linux http://www.qsl.net/kc2ivl

Kim W5TIT July 21st 03 01:25 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Alun Palmer" wrote in message

I suppose Larry will never consider me a fully-fledged ham, even with

20
wpm, 'cause I operate 100% phone, LOL.

Dave Heil's a much better challenge! ;)

I don't know what's driving your sniping, Kim. I operate phone, CW,
RTTY and FM on the bands and frequencies of my choice from any of those
made available by the FCC.

You've told us that you aren't operating at all.

Dave K8MN

See what I mean?

Kim W5TIT

---

Kim W5TIT July 21st 03 01:27 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

writes:

[...]

Dee, I don't think I am miscontrueing a thing. It baffles me to no end that
it would actually bother someone to have another wait for their opportunity
to come along. I see nothing at all wrong with someone waiting until
testing requirements meet *their* expectations.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via
Complaints to

Dee D. Flint July 21st 03 01:51 AM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

Dee, I don't think I am miscontrueing a thing. It baffles me to no end

that
it would actually bother someone to have another wait for their

opportunity
to come along. I see nothing at all wrong with someone waiting until
testing requirements meet *their* expectations.

Kim W5TIT

Even if it is waiting 10 years or better??

I like to see people succeed. Those who wait do not succeed because they do
not take control over and responsibility for their own lives. It is
heartbreakingly sad to see people electing to be failures because they are
waiting for someone to give them something.

If you wait for opportunity to knock, it never will.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Len Over 21 July 21st 03 01:52 AM

In article ,
(Brian) writes:

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Alun Palmer" wrote in message

I suppose Larry will never consider me a fully-fledged ham, even with 20
wpm, 'cause I operate 100% phone, LOL.

Dave Heil's a much better challenge! ;)

Kim W5TIT

I dunno. He has his weaknesses. Frenchmen on 6M SSB seem to be a
pretty good hook for Dave. But their damned accents are so hard to
fake. Good luck Alun.

Big Dave is just ****ed because so few of us bow down to his "I am the
superior whatever" and refuse to capitulate. Shrug.

LHA

Len Over 21 July 21st 03 01:52 AM

writes:

[...]

Well, us bourgeoises and "lower class" minded people will just have to sit
in
the back of the bus and drink from different water fountains, won't we? :-)

Did the Almighty make all the Royal-Noble Radio Regulations (hardly
different now than from the pre-WW2 era) or did ordinary humans make
those regulations then? Since when do those LAWS remain fixed,
forever engraved in unchageable stone and protected by the armor of
"tradition?" Laws were made by humans and laws can be UNMADE by
humans.

There's been a movement to change those magnificent code laws for some
time and it has ended on the international side.

I know this is a terrible shock, perhaps trauma to the "higher class" elite,
but S25.5 AS-YOU-KNOW-IT went bye-bye. Try to accept reality with some
good grace. It is difficult, I realize, but it must be done.

They have achieved their personal goals
regarding ham radio and found their niche.

In my case, I've not found any good reason to join a SERVICE of pretend-
quasi-military radio operators by having to relearn morse code.

What we oppose is the person
that wants the privileges of the higher class but refuses to do the work to
get them.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, the Elite "higher-class" talking again!

Hmmm...I got on HF legally and militarily some 50 years ago, transmitting
on HF from any one of 43 transmitters. Did that for two years without any
formal schooling in the military HF communications whatsoever. I guess
that made me "lazy" in your view, didn't it? Since ADA didn't use any
morse code through those 43 transmitters, it was "lower-class" stuff, right?

Will you agree that "radio" was used? I don't think so. From your tone,
I'd say that you think AMATEUR radio works by different principles than
commercial or government radio...therefore such military radio "isn't as
good" as ham equipment...

I know some people that want to be a general but not only have
they been waiting for years for the elimination of the code test but have
refuses to even try.

Well, you upper-class uppercrust make sure all those signs are up in
bus, the ones directing the lower-class to the uncomfortable back.

That gives you (and so many others) the ILLUSION that you are "superior"
and "more advanced" and all that self-promotional stuff. Have fun in your
imaginary nirvana. Realignment and reality are just around the corner.

LHA

valmont July 21st 03 02:00 AM

Scott Unit 69" wrote in message
Came within two questions of passing the Extra without cracking a book.

Oh come on Scott there are some pretty arcane rules and regulation
questions in that test are you saying you were born knowing the
answers? And what's your ham callsign why are you hiding behind your
old CB handle unit 69?

Scott Unit 69 July 21st 03 02:04 AM

Then you can't say that you didn't study. You simply used a different study
path. No one is born knowing Ohm's law, etc. There is not and never has
been any requirement to use the common study guides such as those put out by
the ARRL or W5YI. The requirement is to pass the test. If you studied the
material in a different venue that is still studying. It does not count as
"having passed the test without cracking open a book." Though knowing just
the electronics is not enough to pass the test. To get a passing grade, it's
necessary to know some of the FCC rules, some of the standard amateur
practices, antenna theory (not general taught in most electronics text
books), propagation (again not covered in most electronics text books), etc.
So one way or another, you learned that too as you're not born knowing that
either.

My brother had an electronics workshop in the basement when I was growing up.
I took electronics at a Vo-Tech in high school. I have been on CB since 1977.

All the stuff you mentioned has been covered by my life's experience.

Remember, all larger items can be broken down into simpler items. Knowing
how they all interact to create a complex system, is important. If you
don't understand the simple concepts, you can't understand the big picture.

Scott Unit 69 July 21st 03 02:09 AM

Just smile and laugh at Mike, Larry & Dee. These old timers are
set in their ways, and cannot change.

I just have to laugh at their virulent dislike of no-codes.

Sometimes, you just have to poke them the right way to stir them up. :

Mike Coslo July 21st 03 02:15 AM

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike:

I wonder if the NCTA's will figure out a way to get the FCC to fast-track
this process?

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go

by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

I learned the hard way. I waited 14 years, and lost out on what could have
been the best years of my ham radio career! Now I'm 50 years old, and
won't even qualify for QCWA membership for another three years!

THAT'S what I've been trying to get through to some of these good folk!!!!

I didn't get my license until I was in my mid-40's, and now regret I
didn't get it a long time ago. Granted, I didn't get interested in the
ARS until the late 1990's, but if there is any advice I can give the
prospective ham is that "It's too much fun, don't waste ANY time getting
your ticket!"

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

Anyone who waits the (up to) two years a US No-code General/Extra
may take would appear to be interested only in being lazy. A classic
filter feeder.

And two years off their life that they could have been on the air.

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get

their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I'll provide them some incentive: As of now, 20 July 2003 at 0321 hrs UTC,
any prospective US ham who learns the code at the gruelling speed of 5
WPM, passes the test, and gets their Extra will be considered by me to
be a full-fledged ham as long as they regularly use at least one non-voice
mode on-the-air at least 40 percent of their total operating time. Wow --
is that a deal or what?

Heheh, Maybe a certificate thing brewing here? 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Scott Unit 69 July 21st 03 02:19 AM

valmont wrote:

Scott Unit 69" wrote in message
Came within two questions of passing the Extra without cracking a book.

Oh come on Scott there are some pretty arcane rules and regulation
questions in that test are you saying you were born knowing the
answers?

I have knowledge beyond my years.

And what's your ham callsign why are you hiding behind your
old CB handle unit 69?

Because of internet stalkers like yourself, George, WA3MOJ.

After all your spamming, flooding and other BS, it ain't being posted.

KMA.

Mike Coslo July 21st 03 02:20 AM

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , Scott Unit 69
writes:

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an
outdated
mode of communication. If BPL comes to fruition, HF privs will be a mute
point,
however, CW may be the only mode that works.

Scotty:

Hey, I know what you mean about those darned ole outdated modes
of communication. Once you get your No-Code test General or
Extra, wanna make a sked to work some Hellschreiber with me?

Actually Larry, I might take you up on that one sometime. I've been
wanting to try that mode sometime. I'm swamped now, and I found that I
nuked my card interface ad FD, but in the next couple of weeks.......

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 21st 03 02:22 AM

Steve Robeson, K4CAP wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

I am willing to bet that some sort of "moratorium" on code
testing is announced within the next 60 days. Just an
opinion...nothing certain

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Knowing what I know about how much fun I've had with Amateur
Radio all these years, I'd say do it, get it over with and join the
fun! I liken this to a cure for cancer...Would you delay radiation
therapy in the hopes that "the" cure would be forthcoming
"tomorrow"...?!?!

I've never looked at it that way, but that's a good analogy.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Dee D. Flint July 21st 03 02:26 AM

"Scott Unit 69" wrote in message
Just smile and laugh at Mike, Larry & Dee. These old timers are
set in their ways, and cannot change.

I just have to laugh at their virulent dislike of no-codes.

Sometimes, you just have to poke them the right way to stir them up. :

Shows how little you know. If you're smart enough to dig out the info, you
will find that I am a long way from being able to qualify as an old timer.
I've learned through personal practice and experience as to what works when
and under what conditions. It is based on experience that I believe all
hams should learn the basics of code. I've used many of the digital modes
to be sure I understood their advantages and disadvantages, although these
modes are not interesting to me. It is on my personal development plan to
do the same with PSK31, the current "flavor of the month."

I have never, ever disliked no-codes. We have some many fine ones in our
club. Those who are interested in HF are studying to upgrade. Those who
are not interested in HF are fine too. Our satellite experts happen to be
no-codes. If I want to know anything about satellites (if ever I choose to
invest in the equipment), I will consult them on their experiences and
follow their recommendations. That they are no-codes and I'm an Extra (from
before restructuring) is unimportant and irrelevant. In that particular
area they are the experts with hands on experience while my knowledge in
this area is limited to book learning. I have no problem whatsoever
acknowledging that expertise. The only no-codes that I find objectionable
are those who want the privileges of a higher class without meeting the
requirements. Waiting for requirements to change is simply wasting one's
time even though they are now likely to change.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Mike Coslo July 21st 03 02:29 AM

Dee D. Flint wrote:

From: "Dee D. Flint" deehays

So what do you plan to do to recruit people to Morse code. If want

others

to use it, you have the responsibility

No, what I meant is that its a better situation for me if more Hams use

Morse

code. For one thing, I won't be talking to them. But, I'm not going to go

and

recruit people to use Morse code.

You want other hams to use Morse so you don't have to talk to them. That's
extremely anti-social on your part and totally opposite of your previously
stated desires that you would like to get hams to be more social.

Trolls will say anything to get a response.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Vshah101 July 21st 03 03:10 AM

From: "Dee D. Flint"

You want other hams to use Morse so you don't have to talk to them. That's
extremely anti-social on your part and totally opposite of your previously
stated desires that you would like to get hams to be more social.

I don't want to talk to some older males. Thats not anti-social.

And they are there Fri, Sat night on several bands, including 40m, 2m, and ATV.
I know from the DXpedition in May.

Many Hams will work DX. They get a thrill from that. But, they won't talk to
the person next door or to anyone in person. Thats why a local Ham's neighbor
complained that the Ham has too many antennas at his house.

valmont July 21st 03 03:52 AM

Scott Unit 69 wrote
valmont wrote:

Scott Unit 69" wrote in message
Came within two questions of passing the Extra without cracking a

book.

Oh come on Scott there are some pretty arcane rules and regulation
questions in that test are you saying you were born knowing the
answers?

I have knowledge beyond my years.

So you are saying you intuitively knew this answer. Without cracking a
book of any kind.

E1E08 (D) [97.207(g)(1)]
When must the licensee of a space station give the FCC International
Bureau the
first written pre-space notification?
A. Any time before initiating the launch countdown for the spacecraft
B. No less than 3 months after initiating construction of the space
station
C. No less that 12 months before launch of the space station platform
D. No less than 27 months prior to initiating space station
transmissions

Scott you are BS'ing again....

Larry Roll K3LT July 21st 03 04:06 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

People are not missing anything by not upgrading, if the upgraded privileges
don't provide anything more they wish.

Kim:

Well, that's *your* excuse. It seems to be working for you. Hold on
to it, it's all you've got.

73 de Larry, K3LT