Old July 20th 03, 01:26 AM
Jim Hampton

Default Two years?

If you read Scott's answer, you'll have something to consider. A couple of
folks tested out through extra but missed the Morse. They have 365 days to
pass the 5 word per minute code with no other testing, or they can wait. It
would appear, since they took and passed (except for code) the extra, that
they are going to get that extra regardless of whether the code is retained
or dropped. My suggestion is take the theory tests; when you've got that,
there is a *ton* of incentive to do whatever it takes. I've heard that some
countries are already going to drop the requirements; I don't know if that
is true or not. Certainly the requirement will go away; when, I'm not sure.
Pass the theory exams and I'll bet anyone will then study and be ready to
pass the CW from zero inside of 3 weeks or less

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get
their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

- Mike KB3EIA -

---

Old July 20th 03, 01:31 AM
Mike Coslo

Scott Unit 69 wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get
their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

- Mike KB3EIA -

Are you trolling or asking a question?

Personally, I hope the action takes a lot less time. I hold a CSCE for General,
and missed Extra by two questions. (Without ever cracking a book.)

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an outdated
mode of communication. If BPL comes to fruition, HF privs will be a mute point,
however, CW may be the only mode that works.

As it is, I am responsible for 4 amateur tickets, mine, two other newbies,
and one renew. There is another newbie taking their test soon.

Mike, some are leaders, and some are sheople. Baaaaaaa.

Bitch at me all you want, I'm wearing Nomex underwear.

And You are a sheople. Enjoy!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 20th 03, 02:46 AM
Alun Palmer

"D. Stussy" wrote in
.org:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:
Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to
ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years
to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

If you pass the code test and get it now, then you won't have to face
the wrath of the idiots on this group complaining about your "inferior"
license giving you equal authority to operate as theirs. :-)

Whilst that's true, they don't even approve of those of us who don't
_operate_ CW !!!
Old July 20th 03, 02:57 AM
Robert Casey

Scott Unit 69 wrote:

Personally, I hope the action takes a lot less time. I hold a CSCE for General,
and missed Extra by two questions. (Without ever cracking a book.)

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an outdated
mode of communication.

Hell, it only took two weeks for me to learn 5 wpm code, and I'm bad at
"motor" skills.
(Motor skill is that sort of thing you have to repeatidly practice to
force your brain to
do some new wiring to aquire the skill).

Just learn the damm code..... You just might find it fun, like Larry
did.

Old July 20th 03, 03:04 AM
Mike Coslo

D. Stussy wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

If you pass the code test and get it now, then you won't have to face the wrath
of the idiots on this group complaining about your "inferior" license giving
you equal authority to operate as theirs. :-)

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do something I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long to
wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket sooner.

- Mike KB3EIA

Old July 20th 03, 03:11 AM
Alun Palmer

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

D. Stussy wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to
ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years
to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

If you pass the code test and get it now, then you won't have to face
the wrath of the idiots on this group complaining about your
"inferior" license giving you equal authority to operate as theirs.
:-)

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do something
I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long
to wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket
sooner.

- Mike KB3EIA

I don't know where that estimate came from. It isn't likely to take more
than a year.
Old July 20th 03, 03:59 AM
D. Stussy

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:
D. Stussy wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mike Coslo wrote:
Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

If you pass the code test and get it now, then you won't have to face the wrath
of the idiots on this group complaining about your "inferior" license giving
you equal authority to operate as theirs. :-)

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do something I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long to
wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket sooner.

1) It's not certainly worse than any other reason one can think of.
2) If he reads here, then he escapes their wrath against the "no-code extra."
3) Is my post any worse than anything else that is posted here? :-)

I couldn't care less what our resident ghouls think.... Maybe they should go
start a new newsgroup: rec.radio.amateur.degeneration

I don't think that anybody really cares anymore... All I ever hear here is a
bunch of code bashing, ARRL bashing (and I'm NOT a member or supporter of them
either), a whole bunch of inside jokes and useless posts, and I haven't even
covered the foolishness of such characters as Stewart Tease and his MURS crap.

As long as we're going to end up eliminating the code element from testing, why
not simplify amateur radio licensing even more? There only need be two
classes:
1 - for HF (any and all operation below 30MHz), and
2 - for VHF and above (above 30MHz).
A person can hold both classes (a 1+2 license) if one passed both tests.
Class 2 is NOT a prerequisite for class 1. We could call a 1+2 a class 3
license, but I wanted to demonstrate the independence of each class.

Transitions:
Novice: No credit. Cancelled upon expiration ("upgrade or die").
Technician (no code): Class 2 only.
Technician (w/ HF): Class 2 only. (The code element is worthless)
General, Adv, Extra: Class 1+2.
Pre-1987 Technicians are equivalent to general so they will get a 1+2 license.

Only a class 2 license can be a repeater trustee.... Except for 10m, since
repeaters must be above 30MHz, this isn't really a problem. Satellite
trusteeship will require a class 1+2 license.

I'm assuming that there will be too much resistance to a SINGLE license class.
Old July 20th 03, 05:39 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Scott Unit 69
writes:

I don't care for code, nor feel that I should be forced to learned an
outdated
mode of communication. If BPL comes to fruition, HF privs will be a mute
point,
however, CW may be the only mode that works.

Scotty:

Hey, I know what you mean about those darned ole outdated modes
of communication. Once you get your No-Code test General or
Extra, wanna make a sked to work some Hellschreiber with me?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old July 20th 03, 05:39 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike:

I wonder if the NCTA's will figure out a way to get the FCC to fast-track
this process?

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go

by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

I learned the hard way. I waited 14 years, and lost out on what could have
been the best years of my ham radio career! Now I'm 50 years old, and
won't even qualify for QCWA membership for another three years!

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

Anyone who waits the (up to) two years a US No-code General/Extra
may take would appear to be interested only in being lazy. A classic
filter feeder.

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get

their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I'll provide them some incentive: As of now, 20 July 2003 at 0321 hrs UTC,
any prospective US ham who learns the code at the gruelling speed of 5
WPM, passes the test, and gets their Extra will be considered by me to
be a full-fledged ham as long as they regularly use at least one non-voice
mode on-the-air at least 40 percent of their total operating time. Wow --
is that a deal or what?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old July 20th 03, 05:39 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

Do you think *that* would be a good reason? I want to do something
I'm
interested in as long as I can. I mean really, do you care what say
Larry, Dick, or Jim or even my self think? Two years is just too long
to wait. That's the reason why I think a preson would get the ticket
sooner.

Considering the fact that most people can pass a 5 WPM code test
right after learning basic character recognition (about two weeks' effort
if you take your time), it would be insane to wait two whole years to
get your General- or Extra-class ham ticket. However, a lot of wannabe
hams out there will probably do just that! It's their funeral -- they don't
know what they're missing!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 6 October 1st 04 07:40 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM