Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 25th 03, 05:42 PM
Jim Hampton

Default replace cw test with typing test!

Dave,

I made a somewhat similar observation when I mentioned that I had copied
(100% perfect copy on a typewriter) 40 words per minute CW back when I was
in the Navy. A lot of folks can't type 40 words per minute Also, I used
to chat with Norm, VK2NP, in Brisbane Australia, for hours on end several
times a week via teletype. It was about our 3rd qso when I had a mind
cramp, stopped typing, then started with figs/letters/figs/letters, got the
rhythm back and finished what I was saying. He almost fell out of his
chair; he thought I was using the tape reader. Why use the tape? Amateur
RTTY was only 60 words per minute and I could hit bursts of 92 words per
minute on the 100 minute teletypes on the military circuits. Of course, I
shouldn't be surprised today. Most people talk communications and they are
talking 'cut and paste' on the internet, MP3 swapping on the internet, or
yapping on the cell phone whilst driving all over the road Ah, the
communications geniuses of today

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"David Robbins" wrote in message
I think the fcc should replace the cw test with a typing accuracy and

speed
test. Just think about how much nicer the digital segments would be if
everyone had to be able to type fast enough to keep their buffers full!

No
more diddles and wasted bandwidth while someone hunted around for the
letters trying to answer a simple question that wasn't on their brag tape.
This will of course become much more important as the manual digital

method
is phased out and the hf bands become more heavily used.

---