Old August 26th 03, 04:34 PM

Default Off subject, tv monitor????

I would like to use my tv as a monitor for my computer, could you
tell me what all is involved? What I have to purchase,
hardware/software wise? Thanks in advance. cl 73
Old August 27th 03, 04:15 AM
Jim Hampton

Larry,

I've still got a rat shack color computer 2
Does that count?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
(ps - still have my Heathkit H8 I put together in winter 76/77) It is
immune to all known internet viruses. With 28 Kilobytes of memory, none of
'em would likely even fit in it )

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article ,
writes:

I would like to use my tv as a monitor for my computer, could you
tell me what all is involved? What I have to purchase,
hardware/software wise? Thanks in advance. cl 73

Go get yourself an old Commodore 64/128, and you're all set!

73 de Larry, K3LT

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old August 27th 03, 04:54 AM
Dwight Stewart

" wrote:

I would like to use my tv as a monitor for
my computer, could you tell me what all is
involved? What I have to purchase, hardware/
software wise? Thanks in advance. cl 73

If you're planning to use it as a primary monitor, you're not going to be
satisfied with the results. Text will be blurry and the colors will often be
sharply off. Anyway, there are many products that offer this capability.
Most are used by those seeking to use a television for classroom instruction
(programs like PowerPoint are used to make presentations that look good on a
television). Search around some of the online computer catalogs.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old August 27th 03, 09:16 PM
Bill Sohl

wrote in message ...
I would like to use my tv as a monitor for my computer, could you
tell me what all is involved? What I have to purchase,
hardware/software wise? Thanks in advance. cl 73

At least one other person noted that the quality of picture
will be much worse than a computer monitor. That's
maybe OK depending on "what application" you want to use a TV
for instead fo a monitor. These days computer monitors
are dirt cheap.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old August 28th 03, 07:25 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Jesus Christ!!! Look around your area as 14 and 15 inch monitors can be had
for as little as five bucks!!!!!!!!!!! I bought an really nice 15inch
monitor at a hamfest for five dollars and a decent used 17" for a few over
20 bucks. God, I know hams are cheap/tightwads and all, but come on!

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)
"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
.. .

Old August 28th 03, 11:30 AM
Brian Kelly

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message thlink.net...

wrote in message ...
I would like to use my tv as a monitor for my computer, could you
tell me what all is involved? What I have to purchase,
hardware/software wise? Thanks in advance. cl 73

At least one other person noted that the quality of picture
will be much worse than a computer monitor. That's
maybe OK depending on "what application" you want to use a TV
for instead fo a monitor. These days computer monitors
are dirt cheap.

http://www.staples.com/products/Spot...11/Default.asp

And those are available at everybody's lame neighborhood pens 'n
pencils store. Poke around a bit find 'em for even less.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

W3(c)RV
Old August 29th 03, 02:30 PM
Mike Coslo

Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
Jesus Christ!!! Look around your area as 14 and 15 inch monitors can be had
for as little as five bucks!!!!!!!!!!! I bought an really nice 15inch
monitor at a hamfest for five dollars and a decent used 17" for a few over
20 bucks. God, I know hams are cheap/tightwads and all, but come on!

Wow Ryan!

Maybe there is a reason this fellow wants to use a Television as a
monitor. Maybe he is doing a presentation to some people, and needs a
bigger screen. Maybe he wants to play computer games on a big screen TV.
I'm surprised that you have this reaction, after reading previous posts
of yours.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 1st 03, 05:35 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Well, he didn't specify exact intentions, so I did what any PCTA would do;
generalize without knowing all of the facts!
But I still stand by the statement in regards to the low cost of regular
monitors.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
TS-50 Monitor Function Curtis Eickerman Equipment 6 June 24th 04 03:13 AM
TS-50 Monitor Function Curtis Eickerman Equipment 0 June 23rd 04 06:23 PM
off subject, monitor for cpu?? [email protected] General 6 August 27th 03 03:06 AM
off subject, monitor for cpu?? [email protected] General 0 August 26th 03 04:32 PM