Old August 30th 03, 01:57 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
shephed wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

I'm sitting here listening to our local Echolink repeater.
Someone,apparently in Florida, is Kerchunking our local repeater.

Now THAT is the true power of the internet!

And yesterday at lunchtime, I heard some talk that you should never
hear on ham radio. Somone with a funky drunky accent going on about his
favorite parts of another guy's anatomy. Shudderrrr.

There just isn't enough control of all the repeaters linked into
Echolink for it to be a viable system.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Welcome to Ham Radio of the 21st century!

As far as I can tell - and I don't know all that much abour Echolink,
every repeater operator along the line will be responsible for the
content going over their repeater. These folk better think about what
they are doing.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Same silly crap about Packet when it was passing 'strange' traffic. What
was done? Nothing.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 30th 03, 02:04 AM
Mike Coslo

Hans K0HB wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote

Hans, would you want your children or grandchildren to listen to that
filth on your radio? It doesn't have any place in the ARS, but it's what
I'm hearing.

Of course foul language has no place in the ARS!!!! DUH!!!!!

So you blame EchoLink, FM, repeaters, or do you blame the creeps who
commit the offense?

Of course I blame the perps. But I still get an idea of what the
neighborhood is like when I hear them there.

You want to go there, that's just fine. I'll pass.

And as far as techno-bigotry goes, Echolink isn't very high on the
techno-scale.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 30th 03, 02:41 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
nk.net...

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

Hans K0HB wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote

I'm sitting here listening to our local Echolink repeater.
Someone,apparently in Florida, is Kerchunking our local repeater.

Now THAT is the true power of the internet!

And yesterday at lunchtime, I heard some talk that you should never
hear on ham radio. Somone with a funky drunky accent going on about

his
favorite parts of another guy's anatomy. Shudderrrr.

There just isn't enough control of all the repeaters linked into
Echolink for it to be a viable system.

Echolink isn't too blame for the incidents you describe.

Control operators are responsible to shut down their machines or
amptutate the offending user when such violatons occur.

Don't blame technology for the failings of those who implement it.

Both of the problems you describe are independent of the fact that
Echolink happens to be involved.

We used to hear the very same apologistic response to the ills of

CB/Freeband.....today
nobody even bothers to apologize.

Ham radio, we hardly knew ye...

Exactly !!

Dan/W4NTI

I have never heard such whining...

Kim W5TIT

Old August 30th 03, 06:52 PM
K0HB

"charlesb" wrote

Just for fun: Try to "Google" "freeband echolink". Lots of interesting
links there.

Your rationale reminds me of the gun control crowd who would ban
private ownership of handguns because some criminal used a handgun in
a liquor store holdup. Rather than attack the perpetrators you want
to ban the technology for all legitimate users. Welcome to Amerika!

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB
Old August 30th 03, 08:20 PM
charlesb

"Hans Kohb" wrote in message
news:1894146ead0aa8ddafaea3d87eac97a1.128005@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"Dick Carroll;" wrote

Charlie, don't confuse Hans. He's signed on to the "All will be well if

we can only get
enough warm bodies into ham radio" scenario.

It's you that's corn-fused! Where did you cook up that fantasy? I have
stated several times in this newsgroup that I could hardly care less if
the number of hams increases or doesn't increase.

Neither one of you guys should confuse me with someone who cares about that
kind of off-topic baloney.

Charles, N5PVL

Old August 30th 03, 09:35 PM
Mike Coslo

charlesb wrote:
"Hans Kohb" wrote in message
news:1894146ead0aa8ddafaea3d87eac97a1.128005@mygat e.mailgate.org...

"Dick Carroll;" wrote

Charlie, don't confuse Hans. He's signed on to the "All will be well if

we can only get

enough warm bodies into ham radio" scenario.

It's you that's corn-fused! Where did you cook up that fantasy? I have
stated several times in this newsgroup that I could hardly care less if
the number of hams increases or doesn't increase.

Neither one of you guys should confuse me with someone who cares about that
kind of off-topic baloney.

Echolink's certainly relavent to Amateur radio policy!

- Mike KB3EIA

Old August 31st 03, 02:35 AM
Mike Coslo

Robert Casey wrote:

No surprise there Mike. No calls, no decency, no license. Access
available
to anyone that can lie their way in. Yep....what a system.

And someone can obtain a ham radio rig and go on the air with a bootleg
call. Same difference.

I don't know about you, but unless I'm contesting, I usually look up
the callsign. And plenty of others do too. So Mr. Pirate won't go
undetected for long. Perhaps Echolink will be the same, perhaps not.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 31st 03, 02:40 AM
Mike Coslo

charlesb wrote:
"Robert Casey" wrote in message

No surprise there Mike. No calls, no decency, no license. Access

available

to anyone that can lie their way in. Yep....what a system.

And someone can obtain a ham radio rig and go on the air with a bootleg
call.
Same difference.

Hmmmm... Let's put on our thinking caps for a moment, and consider whether
there is generally more access to ham rigs, or to Internet capable
computers. Which one is easiest and cheapest for potential bootleggers to
obtain access to?

Same difference? I don't think so. Echolink is the best thing to happen
to bootleggers - ever.

If I were to go where freebander types hang out and leave an informative
article about EchoLink, that would be an irresponsible act... It would be
irresponsible for me to point out that vulnerability within the hobby, but
not nearly so irresponsible as the programmer who created that vulnerability
in the first place.

In this day and age, amateurs are more, not less conscious of security
issues. EchoLink is a big hole in our security, and most especially should
never be utilized for anything even remotely related to emergency
communications. As hams, what we have to bring to the table here is
independent radio communications. The department of homeland security did
not affiliate with the ARRL because of our ability to use the Internet.

One basic of emergency communications is not to develop a dependence on the
network that you are there to back up. Using the Internet as a central part
of a Ham Radio network (of any type) is like having a plan to use the
telephone to report outages in telephone service. The emergency plan works
great - until there is an emergency.

Add that to the hundreds, perhaps thousands of hams who instantly gave up on
learning more about ham radio in order to upgrade upon discovering EchoLink,
and you begin to understand whether EchoLink has had a positive or negative
influence upon the hobby.

Sure, lots of hams have enjoyed EchoLink... Lots of drivers would enjoy free
six-packs of beer at highway tool-booths too, but that doesn't mean it is a
responsible or intelligent thing to do.

And even though I have tried to look into Echolink with an open mind,
in the end, I just don't think of it as a ham type sport - except for
those that just want to talk. And I'm more into the hobby to build
things, contest, and try to stretch my radio legs - not just talk.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 31st 03, 03:06 AM
Mike Coslo

charlesb wrote:

Some snippage

In this day and age, amateurs are more, not less conscious of security
issues. EchoLink is a big hole in our security, and most especially
should
never be utilized for anything even remotely related to emergency
communications. As hams, what we have to bring to the table here is
independent radio communications. The department of homeland security did
not affiliate with the ARRL because of our ability to use the Internet.

Someone a while back had noted that Echolink would be great in an
emergency. I wonder how many people in the areas hit by the recent
blackout had an internet connection?

Add that to the hundreds, perhaps thousands of hams who instantly gave
up on learning more about ham radio in order to upgrade upon discovering
EchoLink, and you begin to understand whether EchoLink has had a positive or
negative influence upon the hobby.

An excellent point, Charles! Oh brave new world........

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 31st 03, 04:28 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

I have never heard such whining...

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

Of course you have. You can hear yourself talk, can't you?

73 de Larry, K3LT