Old September 1st 03, 11:43 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

As you may know, FISTS has many times the membership numbers of NCI.

How many *US* licensees are members of FISTS, Dick?

Lots and lots.

How many *US* licensees are members of NCI, Carl?

btw, the FISTS member list is online.

I've given it a read. It sounds pretty good, I agree with it for the
most part, and it is doomed. Won't happen. Not in a million years.

It's not the way we are heading.

How do you justify a trained group of communicators that are versed in
a mode that is as useful and needed as CW is? There isn't an emergency
right now.

It's not the way we are heading.

Perhaps some day they will see the value, just like all the people who
build houses in flood plains - Hey, those areas are dry 99.5 percent of
the time!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 1st 03, 11:49 PM
Mike Coslo

Dick Carroll; wrote:

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

As you may know, FISTS has many times the membership numbers of NCI.

How many *US* licensees are members of FISTS, Dick?

Many times the number of *US* NCI members, Carl.

It doesn't take a majority to win an issue, Dick. All it takes is an
irate minority that is prepared to be loud and active.

What do they do for an encore?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 2nd 03, 12:19 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Keith" wrote in message
nk.net...
On 1 Sep 2003 07:25:35 GMT,
Dick Carroll; in wrote:
Sri...you will be referrred to this URL :

http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/FIST_FCC_Petition_8-30-303.pdf

"Dick Carroll;" wrote:

It isn't on the FCC's website yet but you can read it here....

http://www.eham.net/articles/6371

Enjoy!

The same old Morse code is necessary for ham radio HF operation
line of thinking. There is nothing that prevents anyone from
learning Morse code if the FCC drops the Morse code test & requirement
for General and Extra Class license holders so their petition is
silly.

--
Best Regards, Keith AOL IM:kilowattradio
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.org/

No Keith, it is not silly. You are just one of those that are too lazy to
learn, and want to change the whole license structure to accomidate you.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 2nd 03, 12:26 AM
N2EY

In article , "Dick Carroll;"
writes:

And they got NO input from FISTS that round at all, either. It didn't seem
likely that FCC would go so far as they did, thus there was no movement within
the organization.

There's also the fact that there was an ARRL proposal on the table, as well as
others.

And not many members commented individually.

I did.

This time WILL be different!

Oyez!

To many folks, reduction in the code tests was one thing, but total elimination
is quite another. Note too that many hams are/were of the opinion "reduce the
code, expand the written" but what we got was reduction across the board.

As you may know, FISTS has many times the membership numbers of NCI.

Over 10,000 last time I looked. And FISTS started with #1. Of course not all
the numbers are active - dues are $15/year.

Comments from
members will be numerous, and after all, FCC officials have said they want
"us" to let
them know what we want in the way of restructuring rules! That's what they'll
get!

Maybe if FISTS had commented en masse last time it might have some effect
on the outcome,
given FCC comments noted above. It remains to be seen, of course.

Exactly. Maybe code test retention is the majority position today, as it was in
1998-1999 (judging by comments) Or maybe the majority has shifted. Maybe FCC
will go with the majority opinion this time, which it did not do in 1999.

It should be noted that the FISTS petition addresses more than the issue of
code testing.

73 de Jim, N2EY

FISTS #4360

Old September 2nd 03, 02:20 AM
WA8ULX

What do they do for an encore?

Put out a list of 10 Codes

Old September 2nd 03, 04:48 AM
Brian Kelly

(Brian) wrote in message . com...
"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message ...
It isn't on the FCC's website yet but you can read it here....

http://www.eham.net/articles/6371

Enjoy!

I thought that FISTS sold themselves as a non-political club?

Don't use the term "I thought", we all know what that means in your case.
Old September 2nd 03, 04:48 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

As you may know, FISTS has many times the membership numbers of NCI.

How many *US* licensees are members of FISTS, Dick?

Lots and lots.

A real specific answer ...

How many *US* licensees are members of NCI, Carl?

Thousands, and growing every day :-)

btw, the FISTS member list is online.

If you took the time to look, and it's public, why didn't you answer
my question?

However, we *don't* publish our membership list ... we respect
the privacy of our members and keep the data they give us confidential,
don't sell it to SPAMers, etc. Part of the reason is the abuse that
some PCTAs dish our ... why would we subject our members to
abusive e-mail? (Yes, I get the occasional rant, but that's what
the DEL key is for ... but I'm inherently public because of my
office in the organization.)

Carl - wk3c

Old September 2nd 03, 04:51 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

How do you justify a trained group of communicators that are versed in
a mode that is as useful and needed as CW is? There isn't an emergency
right now.

It's especially hard when the emergency management agencies have
no use for a cadre of CW ops ... it's not the type of communications
that they want or need.

Just as the CW NTS nets are anachronisms ...

Carl - wk3c

Old September 2nd 03, 04:53 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dick Carroll; wrote:

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

As you may know, FISTS has many times the membership numbers of NCI.

How many *US* licensees are members of FISTS, Dick?

Many times the number of *US* NCI members, Carl.

It doesn't take a majority to win an issue, Dick. All it takes is an
irate minority that is prepared to be loud and active.

No, what it takes are rational, compelling arguments that support
your position ... NCI had them in the case of WT 98-143, the
PCTAs couldn't come up with ANY (because there are no rational,
compelling arguments for keeping Morse testing).

What do they do for an encore?

We present more rational, compelling arguments, of course.

Carl - wk3c

Old September 2nd 03, 05:00 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

It isn't on the FCC's website yet but you can read it here....

http://www.eham.net/articles/6371

Enjoy!

I thought that FISTS sold themselves as a non-political club?

How is sending in a petition a political act? Does that mean when NCI

sent
in a petition it was political? Or perhaps they were simply following
proceedures.

Of course participating in the regulatory process is a "political" thing.

And yes, FIST's position in the past (and IIRC, their charter) was
that they were *not* a politically-oriented group ... just a group that
was supposed to foster the *use* of Morse. And the test is *not*
necessary to use Morse ... someone sending slow as they learn
(voluntarily, because they *want* to) hurts nobody ... even the ARRL
has stated that the best way to learn Morse is on the air. Keeping
people off the air until they learn Morse to some specific level of
proficiency is counter, not just to the ARS as a whole, but to the
*professed* goal of those who want to keep Morse testing. If they'd
welcome folks whether they could beep or not, they'd stand a better
chance of gaining "recruits" than they do by acting crappy to those who
aren't interested in Morse, trying to keep them off of HF, and then
complaining that they don't "realize the benefits of Morse." After that
sort of treatment, no wonder so many folks aren't interested in Morse
(or ham radio for that matter ...)

Carl - wk3c