Old September 4th 03, 07:04 PM
Mike Coslo

Dick Carroll; wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

And the supreme court yesterday must hav thought that the FCC's

decision process was a tad flawed.

Mike, what did I mess yesterday?

The Supremes told the F.C.C. that it's relaxed ruling on how many media
outlets one entity (Clear Channel and Fox types) could own was not
acceptable.

And as a person that lives in an area where all the AM stations are
playing the exact same thing most of the time, I can say it's a bad idea.

And with Fox News bloodying it's nose trying to sue and squelch a
satire writer, I am leery of them now too.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 4th 03, 07:09 PM
Steve Stone

Now this is an interesting thing! Are we to *have* to buy this
equipment? And what of the poor ham that didn't have the resources and
is caught in the middle of a disaster?

Some ARES groups have incorporated as not for profits. This allows them to
get corporate sponsorship for emergency gear.

A contractor for a local nuke plant hired to make sure the evac drills go
smooth told me last year there was no need for amateur radio. They could
depend on cell phones for all their field communications during evacuation
of the NYC metro area.

No **** !

Old September 4th 03, 08:36 PM
Mike Coslo

Steve Stone wrote:

Some ARES groups have incorporated as not for profits. This allows them to
get corporate sponsorship for emergency gear.

When possible, it is a good idea for groups to have equipment at the
ready. Mother Nature has this nasty streak in her that seems to favor
the unprepared though! ;^)

A contractor for a local nuke plant hired to make sure the evac drills go
smooth told me last year there was no need for amateur radio. They could
depend on cell phones for all their field communications during evacuation
of the NYC metro area.

Can you imagine? And yet I hear that kind of thing all over. Presumably
intelligent people that don't realize that these highly centralized
systems are certain to fail when the same conditions that make emergency
comms necessary work their damage on those area systems.

The inherently independent, non networked nature of Amateur radio is
what gives it it's strength. And sometimes why when all else fails....
corny statement that just happens to be true.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 4th 03, 11:10 PM
Brian

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message ...

That's exactly right. He'll never tell because the number is embarassingly small.

But apparently is highly effective.

Old September 4th 03, 11:40 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...

I think total ellimination is equivilant to negotiations with a

terrorist
organization (NCI).

Dan/W4NTI

I think that characterization is totally out of line and is equivalent to
the "law of usenet" that goes something like "the first one to equate
the other to Hitler automatically loses the argument."

Carl - wk3c

I understand your point of view Carl. Down heah in Dixie we call that 'eat
up with the dumbass'.

Your NCI organization is nothing but a bunch of whinney crybaby lazy me
generation morons. You know it, and we know it. Now just go off and whine
in your corner.

The truth hurts, eh?

Dan/W4NTI