Old September 12th 03, 02:53 AM
K0HB

(stewart) wrote in message . com...
(K0HB) wrote in message . com...
(stewart) wrote

Sound like COMPLETE BULL**** to me.

http://www.earth2.net/fcc/petition/

Argue with them, not with me.

They aren't posting this BS on the Internet

Of course they're posting it. See the link above! Duh?

I'm not defending (or attacking) their research, but given their
numbers I'm simply asking the obvious question "What can we do to
improve the retention rate?" Even if they're off by a factor of 10
(23% reenlistment rate) we obviously ought to be examing this
troubling issue. (Of course, you can opt to blow it all off by
labeling it as BS, but that strikes me as a lazy cowards way out.)

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB
Old September 12th 03, 06:09 AM
Hans Kohb

"Kim W5TIT" wrote

When I was drawn to and got my ticket, you know what the greatest relief
was? Being able to turn a radio on and not hear all that hissing,
heterodyning, etc.!!! FM is great and that is what I like most about ham
radio. HF sucks for all the noise.

Well, I feel exactly the opposite. To me, FM is boring, but hidden in
all that noise and hissing on HF are the reasons I love ham radio.
Reasons like John, 9M2GV, an expat Brit running a rubber plantation
overlooking the Mallacca Straits. Reasons like Sparky, W3UBM/MM making
the Pacific runs on the rusty old SS Manderson Victory. Reasons
like working K0IR (as VK0IR) on three modes and five bands from
Heard Island, almost at the antipode on the low side of the
freckles-del-Sol. In other words, picking out an almost ghostly
signal from the molecular noise of the universe and finding a
friend, a kindred soul playing exhuberantly in the ether. FM sucks
for all the silence.

YMMV.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Grand Exhalted Liberator of the Electric Smoke

Old September 12th 03, 09:54 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Hans Kohb" wrote in message
news:23340ef8c0f36832979d5f2d70c241e4.128005@mygat e.mailgate.org...
[...]

You definitely have a point with the exhilaration of a long-distance
contact--especially if they are willing to slow down long enough to get into
a ragchew! But, these days--for someone like me anyway--the "contact" can
be had over the internet. If we're talking pleasure contacts--those where
we take some time to "get to know" someone--internet definitely takes the
upper hand for me. If we're talking necessity radio--that part where
communication necessity comes into play--ham radio has it hands down.

Kim W5TIT

Old September 12th 03, 11:13 AM
charlesb

"Hans Kohb" wrote in message
news:23340ef8c0f36832979d5f2d70c241e4.128005@mygat e.mailgate.org...

Well, I feel exactly the opposite. To me, FM is boring, but hidden in
all that noise and hissing on HF are the reasons I love ham radio.
Reasons like John, 9M2GV, an expat Brit running a rubber plantation
overlooking the Mallacca Straits. Reasons like Sparky, W3UBM/MM making
the Pacific runs on the rusty old SS Manderson Victory. Reasons
like working K0IR (as VK0IR) on three modes and five bands from
Heard Island, almost at the antipode on the low side of the
freckles-del-Sol. In other words, picking out an almost ghostly
signal from the molecular noise of the universe and finding a
friend, a kindred soul playing exhuberantly in the ether. FM sucks
for all the silence.

I like that!

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Old September 12th 03, 11:19 AM
N2EY

In article ilgate.org, "Hans
Kohb" writes:

hidden in
all that noise and hissing on HF are the reasons I love ham radio.
Reasons like John, 9M2GV, an expat Brit running a rubber plantation
overlooking the Mallacca Straits. Reasons like Sparky, W3UBM/MM making
the Pacific runs on the rusty old SS Manderson Victory. Reasons
like working K0IR (as VK0IR) on three modes and five bands from
Heard Island, almost at the antipode on the low side of the
freckles-del-Sol. In other words, picking out an almost ghostly
signal from the molecular noise of the universe and finding a
friend, a kindred soul playing exhuberantly in the ether.

But...but Hans, we've been told repeatedly that "better modes and modulations"
have made all that "antiquated, horse and buggy" "electronic paintball war"
stuff "obsolete". The "professionals" don't do any of that - who are we to
stand against "progress"?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 12th 03, 12:26 PM
Brian Kelly

[...]

BINGO! . . . they can't be "bothered" . . "Viva le Rubber Duckie!"
BAH!

FM sucks
for all the silence.

Creeping phenomenon around he 2M SSB. Turns out 2M "simplex SSB" is
often beating the area coverages of the machines. Whatta big surprise.
Typical exchange when a machine drops into one of it's BS levels: "OK,
George let's get outta this nonsense, take it 145.XXX." No roger
beeps, no machine politics, no duckie operators, real radio.

YMMV.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Grand Exhalted Liberator of the Electric Smoke

w3rv
Old September 12th 03, 01:19 PM
N2EY

In article ,
(K0HB) writes:

I'm not defending (or attacking) their research, but given their
numbers I'm simply asking the obvious question "What can we do to
improve the retention rate?"

The first thing is to understand why folks drop out.

If, as some have speculated, a lot of folks became hams 10-12 years ago for
honeydo purposes, and now they have cell phones, there's not much we can do.

OTOH, if they're dropping out because of, say, the written tests being too
hard, we can petition FCC to fix that.

But first we need to know why. Some will say "the code test" in a knee-jerk
reaction - without any proof.

Even if they're off by a factor of 10
(23% reenlistment rate) we obviously ought to be examing this
troubling issue.

You're assuming that there is some credibility in their computations. I say
there is none. Suppose they are off by a factor of 40 - the renewal rate then
would be 92%.

(Of course, you can opt to blow it all off by
labeling it as BS, but that strikes me as a lazy cowards way out.)

Or you can take bad stats as gospel without examining their process.

They claim there were less than 2000 new Techs issued in 5 months. That does
not compute at all, given the numbers of new Techs issued over the past 5 years
or so (close to 2000 per month).

At the time of restructuring there were something like 200,000 Techs. That was
110 months after the Tech lost its code test, but before any of them expired.
Works out to an average of 1800 per month. And the renewal rate is a lot higher
than 23% per the AH0A site numbers. AH0A tells how his data is gathered.

It strikes me that calling it "a troubling issue" without knowing how the data
was gathered is simply not responsible.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 12th 03, 07:03 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Hans Kohb" wrote in message
[...]

Ah the days of 'real radio'. Yes indeed Hans you have a way with words.

Too bad Kim has me blocked. I'd slap her around a bit.. hi.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 12th 03, 07:05 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Hans Kohb" wrote in message
[...]

This commentary from hug and chalk Kim should prove, to those that were
wavering...that she has no concept at all of what ham radio is all about.

Dan/W4NTI

PL-259 loss rate? Ken Bessler Antenna 9 November 8th 04 02:45 PM
Why do monitors flicker on TV? hnmm Antenna 19 January 21st 04 08:30 PM
Single Sideband FM Bruce Kizerian Homebrew 84 October 27th 03 05:52 AM
Latest News - Morse Code Test May Not "Die" at ITU Conference. Ryan, KC8PMX Policy 90 July 11th 03 03:49 AM