RadioBanter

-   -   The 14 Petitions (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27074-14-petitions.html)

Len Over 21 November 12th 03 04:42 AM

The 14 Petitions

As of 6 PM EST on 11 November 2003, the number of ECFS
documents on public view a

RM-10805: 229
RM-10806: 214
RM-10807: 174
RM-10808: 191
RM-10809: 179
RM-10810: 178
RM-10811: 956 Total: 2,121 (10811 has 45.1% of total)

RM-10781: 321
RM-10782: 271
RM-10783: 276
RM-10784: 254
RM-10785: 256
RM-10786: 423
RM-10787: 674 Total 2,475 (10787 has 27.2% of total)

Grand total: 4,596 documents for all 14 petitions.

The Public Notice declaring 10781 through 10787 as open for
comments for 30 days was posted on 29 August 2003.

The Public Notice declaring 10805 through 10811 as open for
comments for 30 days was posted on 8 October 2003.

Docket 03-104 (Broadband over Power Lines) is still open for
comments and can be reached under the Consumer page at the
FCC for manually typed-in commentary rather than go to the ECFS
upload page. 03-104 had 5,086 comments on record.

FCC 03-104, the Docket on Broadband over Power Lines has 5,081
documents on record as of close of ECFS on 7 November 2003.

LHA

Steve Robeson, K4CAP November 12th 03 02:06 PM

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...

As of 6 PM EST on 11 November 2003, the number of ECFS
documents on public view a...(SNIP)

I noticed that you couldn't find time to join in the Veteran's
Day greetings in another thread, although you profess admiration and
respect for them. Matter of fact, I don't believe I've EVER seen
you partake in any sincere regards on either Veteran's Day, Armed
Forces Day or Memorial Day.

Another LennieRant unravelled.

Steve, K4YZ

Bert Craig November 12th 03 07:20 PM

"Rupert" wrote in message
ink.net...
Len Over 21 wrote:

As of 6 PM EST on 11 November 2003, the number of ECFS
documents on public view a

What would be interesting is to find out how many are for the change,
and how many want to keep the code.

Me too. All this roundabout bravo sierra could be bypassed if there was a
ballot sent to all approx. 700,000 U.S. licensed hams. As long as quorum is
met, it's on! This concept (Democracy) frightens the bejesus out of many
folks who claim to speak for those not yet licensed.

But that's an empty argument. Get licensed and vote, tah dah! The big bad
"barrier" does not preclude anyone from getting their no-code Tech ticket
and executing a vote.

Simply announce a "record date" by which one must be licensed (To give those
"yet to be licensed a fair shot at a voice in the process.) and send a
ballot out to all those licensed "of record." Makes too much sense and
requires some effort. IOW, against the contemporary trend.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Len Over 21 November 14th 03 03:39 AM

In article , "Bert Craig"
writes:

"Rupert" wrote in message
link.net...
Len Over 21 wrote:

As of 6 PM EST on 11 November 2003, the number of ECFS
documents on public view a

What would be interesting is to find out how many are for the change,
and how many want to keep the code.

Me too. All this roundabout bravo sierra could be bypassed if there was a
ballot sent to all approx. 700,000 U.S. licensed hams. As long as quorum is
met, it's on! This concept (Democracy) frightens the bejesus out of many
folks who claim to speak for those not yet licensed.

But that's an empty argument. Get licensed and vote, tah dah! The big bad
"barrier" does not preclude anyone from getting their no-code Tech ticket
and executing a vote.

Egbert, according to the First Amendment of the United States
Constitution, there's NO "license membership requirement" to
petition our government for the redress of grievances. None at all.

You seem to be confusing the FCC with the ARRL. Try to
separate church from state.

Good luck on becoming unconfused.

LHA

Len Over 21 November 14th 03 03:39 AM

In article . net, Rupert
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

As of 6 PM EST on 11 November 2003, the number of ECFS
documents on public view a

What would be interesting is to find out how many are for the change,
and how many want to keep the code.

There are only 4,600 documents in the ECFS as of the end of the
day on the east coast, this Thursday. If you have a large hard disk
and lots of time, feel free to collect ALL of them and view them, or
categorize them as you want. They are all in PDF and most
browsers will automatically invoke at least an Acrobat Reader (free
download from Adobe) if you click on the lower left underline of each
listing box.

Disregarding the RM-10811 comments, I'd say that the opinions are
roughly split evenly as to retention or elimination, based on spot-
checking the short (1-page) comments and reading all of the comments
over 1 page.

RM-10811 was submitted by FISTS and their website encourages
affirmative one-liners by all members. Over half of the FISTS petition
comments are such one or two sentence "support" statements.
According to the latest ARRL news blog, RM-10811 is the only one
that counts (FISTS is solidly pro-code) and Joe Speroni (a decided
PCTA) is the only acknowledged "petition statistician" in the ARRL
biased viewpoint.

Oddly enough, Speroni, AH0A, is responsible for RM-10808 which
gathered only 191 comments. The FISTS petition comment total
stands at 959.

The official Comment period for all petitions ended last week.

LHA

Len Over 21 November 14th 03 03:39 AM

In article ,
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message

As of 6 PM EST on 11 November 2003, the number of ECFS
documents on public view a...(SNIP)

I noticed that you couldn't find time to join in the Veteran's
Day greetings in another thread, although you profess admiration and
respect for them. Matter of fact, I don't believe I've EVER seen
you partake in any sincere regards on either Veteran's Day, Armed
Forces Day or Memorial Day.

1. You are NOT, nor ever were, my commanding officer or even
ranking superior anywhere, including this newsgroup.
You are just rank.

2. I was elsewhere Sunday through Wednesday, taking part in
veterans memorial services or visiting the VA hospital here in
the Valley. Such visiting doesn't end after Veterans Day since
those guys (and a couple gals) aren't going anywhere else.
It's NOT like your own hypocritcal "sincerity" suddenly turning
on during an official holiday and then definitely turning OFF
all "sincerity" and so forth for the rest of the year.

3. This thread is solely about the 14 petitions against/for morse
code testing in the U.S. amateur radio license test regulations.
It was posted as a "heads up" for those who have not been
tracking the numbers of comments on the 14 petitions. Try
staying with the program.

4. Back under your bridge little troll.

LHA

Dave Heil November 14th 03 05:16 AM

Len Over 21 wrote:

Egbert, according to the First Amendment of the United States
Constitution, there's NO "license membership requirement" to
petition our government for the redress of grievances. None at all.

From which particular grievance are you seeking redress, Leonard?

Dave K8MN

Steve Robeson, K4CAP November 14th 03 06:25 AM

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article ,

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

I noticed that you couldn't find time to join in the Veteran's
Day greetings in another thread, although you profess admiration and
respect for them. Matter of fact, I don't believe I've EVER seen
you partake in any sincere regards on either Veteran's Day, Armed
Forces Day or Memorial Day.

1. You are NOT, nor ever were, my commanding officer or even
ranking superior anywhere, including this newsgroup.
You are just rank.

An answer I expected.

Usual LennieRanting.

You SHOULD thank God that I never WAS your "commanding officer"
under any circumstances. I never would have put up with your
broggadacio and lying.

2. I was elsewhere Sunday through Wednesday, taking part in
veterans memorial services or visiting the VA hospital here in
the Valley. Such visiting doesn't end after Veterans Day since
those guys (and a couple gals) aren't going anywhere else.
It's NOT like your own hypocritcal "sincerity" suddenly turning
on during an official holiday and then definitely turning OFF
all "sincerity" and so forth for the rest of the year.

YadaYadaYada.

Excuses of the lamest kind...again, an answer I would expect from
you. Others took the time to put a kind reply in there, even on the
"official" day

I do not believe you. I doubt you were ANYwhere near ANY veteran
for the purpose of supporting ANY veteran. Your track record of
untruthfulness lends itself to this doubt. You cannot be trusted.

You spend hundreds of hours yearly in THIS forum, yet when "kind
words" are being exchanged, even amongst the "opponents", you are
nowhere to be found.

3. This thread is solely about the 14 petitions against/for morse
code testing in the U.S. amateur radio license test regulations.
It was posted as a "heads up" for those who have not been
tracking the numbers of comments on the 14 petitions. Try
staying with the program.

As if you ever let a thread topic stop YOU from ranting on for
days about YOUR pet theme.

4. Back under your bridge little troll.

After you get out from under it, big troll.

You're a scumbag, Lennie Anderson. This just made it even a bit
more evident...

Steve, K4YZ

N2EY November 16th 03 01:28 AM

In article , "Bert Craig"
writes:

"Rupert" wrote in message
link.net...
Len Over 21 wrote:

[...]

Perhaps, but you might find that it's more complex than it appears at first.

Suppose someone did, indeed, poll everyone with a US ham license.

First off, there'd be a considerable number of ballots returned because the
license holder was either dead, dropped out, or didn't have a current address
in the database. Note that the last in that list is a rules violation.....

Second, the survey would have to be carefully constructed to get accurate
results. And you'd probably find that there's a wider diversity of opinion than
just "keep the code test/dump the code test". Yet at the same time you'd want
the survey to be simple.

Perhaps something like this:

"What is your opinion of code testing for an amateur license?"

1) It should be totally abolished
2) It should be required only for Extra
3) It should be required only for Extra and General
4) It should be required for any license with HF privileges
5) It should be required for any amateur license
6) No opinion/don't care

Yet this question doesn't address code speed or medical waivers, or other
possibilities like "choose the code test or a special written test".

The more choices given, the greater the possibility that none of them would be
a majority answer, or even a clear plurality. Then you'd be right back where
you were before.

Or you might find that the majority opinion was 6). What happens in that case?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Alun November 16th 03 02:53 PM

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) wrote in
om:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

[...]

This thread does have nothing to do with veterans. I would hope that the
main message of November 11th is that too many people have died in
senseless wars. BTW, I was in the local Veteran's Day parade with the
scouts.

This seems like a tactic to divert the thread from the no-code petitions.

Alun November 16th 03 02:55 PM

"Bert Craig" wrote in
t:

"Rupert" wrote in message
ink.net...
Len Over 21 wrote:

[...]

Those who have not obtained a licence because of the code trest are just
as entitled to express their opinion to the FCC as you or I.

N2EY November 16th 03 04:36 PM

In article , Alun
writes:

"Bert Craig" wrote in
et:

"Rupert" wrote in message
ink.net...
Len Over 21 wrote:

[...]

Sure - nobody is saying that should change.

However, note that there has been an amateur radio license with no code test
available here in the USA for almost 13 years now. That license gives full
VHF/UHF operating privileges and requires only a 35 question written test.

A code test is only required for access to the HF/MF amateur bands.

So anyone who wants to obtain an amateur license can do so without any code
test.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Phil Kane November 17th 03 12:37 AM

On 16 Nov 2003 01:28:42 GMT, N2EY wrote:

Me too. All this roundabout bravo sierra could be bypassed if there was a
ballot sent to all approx. 700,000 U.S. licensed hams.

Suppose someone did, indeed, poll everyone with a US ham license.

First question: who is going to front the six figures required to
send out the ballots even by bulk mail? The FCC?

No way - contrary to urban legend, for the last 10 years or so, all
government agencies pay full postage rates on everything they mail -
except for Congressional mailings, of course.

"What is your opinion of code testing for an amateur license?"

1) It should be totally abolished
2) It should be required only for Extra
3) It should be required only for Extra and General
4) It should be required for any license with HF privileges
5) It should be required for any amateur license
6) No opinion/don't care

Or you might find that the majority opinion was 6). What happens in
that case?

Or it's a tie between #6 and no response ???

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Dee D. Flint November 17th 03 01:11 AM

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

No response would probably be the commonest item even if the ballots come
with return postage paid by the government.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

N2EY November 17th 03 09:34 AM

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

On 16 Nov 2003 01:28:42 GMT, N2EY wrote:

Me too. All this roundabout bravo sierra could be bypassed if there was a
ballot sent to all approx. 700,000 U.S. licensed hams.

Suppose someone did, indeed, poll everyone with a US ham license.

First question: who is going to front the six figures required to
send out the ballots even by bulk mail? The FCC?

Never happen. And with return postage guaranteed it could get close to seven
figures.

No way - contrary to urban legend, for the last 10 years or so, all
government agencies pay full postage rates on everything they mail -
except for Congressional mailings, of course.

Isn't it neat how Congress passes all sorts of rules for everyone else but
exempts itself from those very rules? Classic case of "do as I say, not as I
do"...

"What is your opinion of code testing for an amateur license?"

1) It should be totally abolished
2) It should be required only for Extra
3) It should be required only for Extra and General
4) It should be required for any license with HF privileges
5) It should be required for any amateur license
6) No opinion/don't care

Or you might find that the majority opinion was 6). What happens in
that case?

Or it's a tie between #6 and no response ???

'zactly. But I don't think it would be that bad.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Alun November 17th 03 11:40 AM

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

"Bert Craig" wrote in
. net:

"Rupert" wrote in message
ink.net...
Len Over 21 wrote:

[...]

Technically, that's true, but there's no longer any ITU requirement for a
code test for any band. I think at one time there were a lot of people who
wanted HF who would have been waiting for the code test to go. This is
probably no longer true, as the hobby has lost a lot of it's popularity
since the Internet, and as the test speed is now only 5wpm.

However, my point is just that polling only licenced hams is just not
appropriate, as hams are not the only interested parties.

KØHB November 17th 03 05:43 PM

"Rupert" wrote in message

Simply announce a "record date" by which one must be licensed (To give

those
"yet to be licensed a fair shot at a voice in the process.) and send a
ballot out to all those licensed "of record." Makes too much sense and
requires some effort. IOW, against the contemporary trend.

Regulatory matters are not decided by ballot or popularity polls. They are
decided by an unemotional look at the facts and what is in the public
interest. Thus the *quantity* of comments on the petitions is of no
consequence --- all that matters are the facts and arguments presented. Most
of the comments I have read are noticeably short on persuasive arguments for
either side of the issue.

73, de Hans, K0HB

PS: Even if it were decided by "vote", the vote would be by the entire
citizenry, not only those few already favored with a license.

Bill Sohl November 18th 03 01:29 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Bottom line, who cares since the entire concept
is a joke anyway and stands NO chance of ever
happening.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Dee D. Flint November 18th 03 03:41 AM

"Alun" wrote in message

However, my point is just that polling only licenced hams is just not
appropriate, as hams are not the only interested parties.

How would you then define the group to be polled? Even polling just the
licensed hams would be prohibitive in terms of postage as mentioned in other
posts.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Alun November 18th 03 03:59 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
y.com:

"Alun" wrote in message

However, my point is just that polling only licenced hams is just not
appropriate, as hams are not the only interested parties.

How would you then define the group to be polled? Even polling just
the licensed hams would be prohibitive in terms of postage as mentioned
in other posts.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

If I thought it should be decided by a poll, and I'm by no means sure of
that, then it should be done on-line. Just have a web page where you click
your chosen response. Chicago voters might be a problem, though.

Mike Coslo November 19th 03 01:04 AM

Alun wrote:

If I thought it should be decided by a poll, and I'm by no means sure of
that, then it should be done on-line. Just have a web page where you click
your chosen response. Chicago voters might be a problem, though.

Do you remember Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Alun November 19th 03 03:20 AM

Mike Coslo wrote in
t:

Alun wrote:

If I thought it should be decided by a poll, and I'm by no means sure
of that, then it should be done on-line. Just have a web page where
you click your chosen response. Chicago voters might be a problem,
though.

Do you remember Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf?

- Mike KB3EIA -

No. Can't say I do. Enlighten me!

N2EY November 19th 03 11:29 AM

In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

"Rupert" wrote in message

Simply announce a "record date" by which one must be licensed (To give

those
"yet to be licensed a fair shot at a voice in the process.) and send a
ballot out to all those licensed "of record." Makes too much sense and
requires some effort. IOW, against the contemporary trend.

Regulatory matters are not decided by ballot or popularity polls.

In some cases, they are. And in most cases the popularity of an issue has at
least some influence.

Do you think we'd still have code testing in the USA today if, back in 1998,
there had been an overwhelming majority of support for NCI's "5 wpm and sunset
clause" idea?

They are
decided by an unemotional look at the facts and what is in the public
interest.

Ideally, yes. In practice, that's rare. For example, is the homogenization of
broadcast radio brought about by "deregulation" of ownership in the public
interest? How about BPL and the prophecy of 'broadband nirvana" - is that in
the public interest?

If such matters "are decided by an unemotional look at the facts and what is in
the public interest", why do so commenters/petitioners give a biography of
their education and experience in their commentary? Shouldn't the facts speak
for themselves, and not depend on who is saying them?

Thus the *quantity* of comments on the petitions is of no
consequence --- all that matters are the facts and arguments presented.

I disagree. Of course, popularity alone is not the deciding factor. Nor should
it be. But popularity does have an effect in most regulatory decisions.

Most
of the comments I have read are noticeably short on persuasive arguments for
either side of the issue.

Agreed!

Even if it were decided by "vote", the vote would be by the entire
citizenry, not only those few already favored with a license.

Anyone can petition to or comment to the FCC, but in amateur license matters
there are very few outside of licensed amateurs, amateur organizations and
manufacturers of amater equipment who bother to comment.

Almost *anyone* can pass the Technician test and get a license - that's been
proven by the licensing of young children. So almost anyone who is really
interested in being included in such a poll can get a license, just as almost
any citizen over 18 who is interested in voting can register to vote.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo November 19th 03 02:03 PM

Alun wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in
t:

Alun wrote:

If I thought it should be decided by a poll, and I'm by no means sure
of that, then it should be done on-line. Just have a web page where
you click your chosen response. Chicago voters might be a problem,
though.

Do you remember Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf?

- Mike KB3EIA -

No. Can't say I do. Enlighten me!

A couple years back, People Magazine ran an online vote for "Most
Beautiful Person of the Year" on their website. This was shortly after
the movie "Titanic" was released. People's "choice " was for Leonardo
DeCaprio to run away with the honors (go figure!)

Well the word got around in the newsgroups that this was going on, and
the suggestion was made to all newsgroupies to go to the page and do a
write-in vote for "Hank, the angry drunken dwarf"

http://www.hankthedwarf.com/plain/frameset.html

Hank was definitely NOT one of the "beautiful people", and was a
perfect foil for the shallow business of celebrity worship as practiced
by the likes of People magazine. Unfortunately, Hank's "lifestyle"
caught up with him at an amazingly early age, and he is no longer with us.

But he and hundreds of thousands of newsgroupies spanked People
magazine a good one:

http://www.hankthedwarf.com/flash_dynamic/news.html

Quote:

PEOPLE ONLINE
MAY 1998
Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf wins People Online's Most Beautiful Person
in the World Poll receiving 230,169 votes dwarfing runner up Leonardo
DiCaprio and Rick Flair by over 200,000 votes.

People Online's articles after the spectacle said: "Though we're hardly
novices at handling online polls--this was out sixth--nothing could have
prepared us for the agony, the ecstacy…and well, the angry, drunken dwarf."

But my point in all this is:

Internet polls mean absolutely nothing whatsoever! I voted for Hank
three times in that poll, and if it happened today, I could vote for him
five times without trying. If I tried, I suppose I could give him around
300 votes or so.

This is the internet, and online voting won't work.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Alun November 19th 03 02:23 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in :

Alun wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in
t:

Alun wrote:

[...]

That's why I mentionned 'Chicago voters'. With apologies to anyone reading
this in Chicago, the town is famous for voting fraud. The term 'Chicago
voter' has been used to mean someone casting a vote on behalf of a dead
person. As you point out, in most Internet polls that isn't even
necessary, as no ID is submitted. That doesn't mean that there is no
solution, though. Some form of pre-registration process would be needed.

KØHB November 19th 03 03:54 PM

"N2EY" wrote

If such matters "are decided by an unemotional look at the facts and what

is in
the public interest", why do so commenters/petitioners give a biography of
their education and experience in their commentary?

Because it gives them a sense of self-importance, I suppose.

So almost anyone who is really interested in being included
in such a poll can get a license, ......

Ah yes, "I got mine, now you get yours; then you can comment"!!!! (Just
when I was looking for a good example of a "sense of self-importance"!)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Gary Sanford November 20th 03 01:47 AM

On 14 Nov 2003 03:39:11 GMT, (Len Over 21) wrote:

In article . net, Rupert
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

[...]

Element 1 will be gone next year. Face it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary Sanford

KØHB November 20th 03 02:16 AM

"N2EY" wrote

So almost anyone who is really interested in being included
in such a poll can get a license, ......

Ah yes, "I got mine, now you get yours; then you can comment"!!!! (Just
when I was looking for a good example of a "sense of self-importance"!)

Not at all.

More like "I'm interested enough in the ARS to join".

Do you place much credence in the political opinions of someone who could
legally vote, but won't even take the time to register?

73 de Jim, N2EY

First off, your analogy is flaccid at best. In order to register to vote, I
generally need only to reveal my place of residence (with evidence like an
ID card, or be vouched for by another person registered to vote in the
jurisdiction). I need not take any written or skills test, nor pay any
examination fee, nor demonstrate any particular knowledge of the issues.
(In fact such impediments to registering/voting used to exist in some
jurisdictions, notably in the south, and are deemed unconstitutional.) It
speaks volumes that you'd suggest such impediments to comment on something
as mundane as regulations regarding a hobby radio service.

Second off, regardless of the applicability of your analogy, I do not judge
a persons political opinion based on whether he/she has taken the time to
register to vote. (I don't even raise that question, because it is
irrelevant to the value I place on their opinion.) I attach credence to
their opinion based on their ability to make well constructed arguments, to
succinctly state their views without resort to emotion or cliché, and
evidence that they may have considered alternate or opposing views.

The fact that you have an amateur license suggests that you will have an
opinion about amateur radio regulation, but it gives no credence in and of
itself whether your opinion is or is not worthy of consideration. Similarly
a non-licensed individual may have an opinion but lack of a license
similarly gives no credence in and of itself whether that opinion is or is
not worthy of consideration.

Thus your "almost anyone who is really interested in being included in such
a poll can get a license" strikes me as just another version of the
discredited practice of 'poll taxes' by which privileged persons attempted
to limit the influence of 'lesser' (in their pecking order) persons in
political affairs.

I don't see how your mileage can vary.

73, de Hans, K0HB

N2EY November 20th 03 03:28 AM

In article , Gary Sanford
writes:

Element 1 will be gone next year. Face it.

Maybe. It's been almost half a year since WRC 2003 removed the treaty
requirement, yet less than a dozen countries have dropped or have announced the
dropping of code tests. The US isn't one of them.

Some say FCC could announce the suspension of Element 1 tomorrow. Others say it
takes a full NPRM process. Typical NPRM cycle in the ARS takes so long that
we're talking 2005.....just look at 98-143. The NPRM appeared somewhere in the
middle of 1998 but the changes that resulted weren't effective until April of
2000.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Robert Casey November 20th 03 06:18 AM

Oddly enough, Speroni, AH0A, is responsible for RM-10808 which
gathered only 191 comments. The FISTS petition comment total
stands at 959.

The FCC doesn't go by the number of "votes" on a petition. One well
reasoned
comment can out-rule many "me too" comments.

Carl R. Stevenson November 20th 03 03:40 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message

Do you think we'd still have code testing in the USA today if, back in

1998,
there had been an overwhelming majority of support for NCI's "5 wpm and

sunset
clause" idea?

Yes, I do ... because the FCC was bound by S25.5 of the ITU Radio
Regulations.
(The ONLY reason they gave for keeping the 5 wpm requirement at the time.)

NCI asked the FCC to eliminate code testing if they could see their way
clear,
but we frankly were not surprised by the outcome.

73,
Carl - wk3c

Mike Coslo November 20th 03 03:49 PM

KØHB wrote:

[...]

Hans, do you consider your occasional foray into profanity, referring to
Jim's anology as flaccid, or calling me stupid as something other than
emotional responses?

Of course, I'm stupid, so I might not know th edifference!! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

KØHB November 20th 03 04:19 PM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote

Actually, outlining some experience/qualifications to render a view lends
a certain degree of credibility to comments.

And a distinct image of pompousness.

73, de Hans, K0HB

KØHB November 20th 03 04:37 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote

Hans, do you consider your occasional foray into profanity, referring to
Jim's anology as flaccid, or calling me stupid as something other than
emotional responses?

That's a stupid question. (Regardless of the old bromide about "there ain't
no such thing as....")

73, de Hans, K0HB

Hans K0HB November 20th 03 07:02 PM

Mike Coslo wrote

Hans, do you consider your .... referring to Jim's anology as flaccid .....
as something other than emotional responses?

I call it descriptive (certainly it's not emotional!!).

According to my Funk and Wagnalls (gotta love a guy with a funky name
like that!):

==== flaccid: adj. soft and limp: (example: flaccid biceps)

In other words, without strength, weak, ie., "flaccid analogy"

If that strikes an emotional chord with you, then you must truly be a
"sensitive" guy!

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

Phil Kane November 21st 03 12:33 AM

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:42:20 -0000, Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

Actually, outlining some experience/qualifications to render a view lends
a certain degree of credibility to comments. It also helps to establish
one's status as an "interested party" in the legal sense.

And, as I know full well, sometimes it is legally required to
disclose one's background and present status to avoid claims of
"conflict of interest" based on present or past associations with
the matter or the agency.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil Kane November 21st 03 12:33 AM

On 19 Nov 2003 23:33:34 GMT, N2EY wrote:

But I have it on good authority that FCC does place some value on the
"credentials" of the person making the comments.

Perhaps K2ASP would comment on this.

The same is true in any professional field. It's called "credibility".

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

KØHB November 21st 03 12:51 AM

"N2EY" wrote

Perhaps K2ASP would comment on this.

I'd BET on it!!! And I'll bet on his answer too. It'll have an anecdote
to some incident back when he had a life.

73, de Hans, K0HB

N2EY November 21st 03 03:28 AM

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message

Do you think we'd still have code testing in the USA today if, back in

1998,
there had been an overwhelming majority of support for NCI's "5 wpm and

sunset
clause" idea?

Yes, I do ... because the FCC was bound by S25.5 of the ITU Radio
Regulations.
(The ONLY reason they gave for keeping the 5 wpm requirement at the time.)

You misunderstood me, Carl. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Note that I wrote "still have code testing in the USA today" (emphasis on
"today")

IIRC, NCI asked for 5 wpm right away and a sunset clause that would dump
Element 1 if/when S25.5 removed the treaty requirement. FCC did the 5 wpm thing
but did not enact the sunset provision.

My point was that I think if there had been overwhelming support of both parts
of the NCI proposal, FCC would have done the sunset clause thing and code
testing would have disappeeared in the USA more than five months ago. YMMV.

NCI asked the FCC to eliminate code testing if they could see their way
clear,
but we frankly were not surprised by the outcome.

Was there not a request for a sunset clause that would do it automatically?

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY November 21st 03 11:28 AM

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:42:20 -0000, Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

Actually, outlining some experience/qualifications to render a view lends
a certain degree of credibility to comments. It also helps to establish
one's status as an "interested party" in the legal sense.

And, as I know full well, sometimes it is legally required to
disclose one's background and present status to avoid claims of
"conflict of interest" based on present or past associations with
the matter or the agency.

Thanks, Phil and Carl, for explaining it far better than I did.

73 de Jim, N2EY