Old November 18th 03, 03:51 AM
Dee D. Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote

Short skip was really loud on 20 on Saturday. You were slammin in here.

I use a vertical loop at about 45 feet to the top. Really does well on

NVIS
stuff.

North/South paths were excellent, but East/West paths were

non-symmetrical,
which suggests a tilted ionosphere. The further north you were, the more
exaggerated the effect was. I was hearing the W7/VE7's weak and watery,
but they reported my signal as huge. Meanwhile W1/VE1's who I had 20-over
were CQ'ing in my face.

Can't wait for CQWWCW!!! Maybe the freckles-del-Sol will be more
cooperative.

73, de Hans, K0HB

That's consistent with what I experienced and with what the propagation
prediction software showed.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 18th 03, 04:52 AM
KØHB

"Robert Casey" wrote

North/South paths were excellent, but East/West paths were

non-symmetrical,
which suggests a tilted ionosphere. The further north you were, the more
exaggerated the effect was. I was hearing the W7/VE7's weak and watery,
but they reported my signal as huge. Meanwhile W1/VE1's who I had

20-over
were CQ'ing in my face.

Didn't think that could happen. I thought light (here radio waves)
would propagate equally as well going as well as coming back.
Like "If you can see my face I also can see your face".

Imagine that the ionosphere is an imperfect mirror which reflects signals
best when they arrive at some specific angle, and reflects less well when
the signals do not arrive at that optimum angle. Now imagine that the
"mirror" is tilted to favor one direction (your signals arrive at mirror at
the right angle, but mine arrive at a more oblique angle and are
consequently refracted more than reflected, and at the same time the
reflection angle is such that my signals pass "over your head" to a more
distant point. ). I will hear you well, but my signal will be attenuated.
From my end the skip appears "short", but from your end the skip will appear
"long".

Only when the mirror is equidistant between us and when it is "flat" will
the path be symmetrical and relative signal strengths reciprocal.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 18th 03, 04:58 AM
KØHB

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

Was it me or my OM working the mike?

Musta been the OM, because I remember at the time thinking "that's Dee's
call" but then I had a mental disconnect because the op didn't sound all
that feminine. Sure glad I didn't say "Hi Sweetie"!!!! grin

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 18th 03, 05:17 AM
Dave Heil

"KØHB" wrote:

Worked N8UZE and W4NTI this past weekend. Where were the rest of you?

Cincinnati.

Dave K8MN
Old November 18th 03, 07:15 AM
Robert Casey

KØHB wrote:

Only when the mirror is equidistant between us and when it is "flat" will
the path be symmetrical and relative signal strengths reciprocal.

Somehow I would have thought that light (radio waves) could travel
either direction
on the same exact path. And that attenuation either way would be identical.
Same for the same set of multiple paths.

But it's been years since Physics class......

Old November 18th 03, 05:04 PM
Hans K0HB

Robert Casey wrote

Somehow I would have thought that light (radio waves) could travel
either direction on the same exact path.

You'd think so, but 'taint so.

And if you spend any time on HF during disturbed solar condx, you will
receive many vivid demonstrations of non-reciprocal/non-symmetrical
propagation paths.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
There is no voodoo or magic associated with RF
propagation. There are several perfectly sound
Old November 18th 03, 06:16 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message news:Yueub.7157

Can't wait for CQWWCW!!! Maybe the freckles-del-Sol will be more
cooperative.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Looks like that super sunspot will be rotating back towards earth. It may
seriously trash the polar paths. Oh well....we will see when we get there.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 18th 03, 06:22 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

North/South paths were excellent, but East/West paths were

non-symmetrical,
which suggests a tilted ionosphere. The further north you were, the more
exaggerated the effect was. I was hearing the W7/VE7's weak and watery,
but they reported my signal as huge. Meanwhile W1/VE1's who I had

20-over
were CQ'ing in my face.

Didn't think that could happen. I thought light (here radio waves)
would propagate
equally as well going as well as coming back. Like "If you can see my
face I also
can see your face".

I know this is not 'one way skip', but for a bit of interest... I used to
run skeds into VK land (Australia). During the null of a cycle. There
were times that when I beamed over the SOUTH POLE it was better than the
direct path.

I'm not sure it should be called 'one way skip'. But for lack of a better
term..hi.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 18th 03, 06:26 PM
Dan/W4NTI

KØHB wrote:

Only when the mirror is equidistant between us and when it is "flat" will
the path be symmetrical and relative signal strengths reciprocal.

Somehow I would have thought that light (radio waves) could travel
either direction
on the same exact path. And that attenuation either way would be

identical.
Same for the same set of multiple paths.

But it's been years since Physics class......

The ionosphere is not like a mirror, as Hans stated. And from what I
understand the waves don't actually bounce, but they are bent back towards
earth.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 18th 03, 06:32 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
news

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...
Short skip was really loud on 20 on Saturday. You were slammin in here.

I use a vertical loop at about 45 feet to the top. Really does well on

NVIS
stuff.

Great hearing you.

Don't think I heard Dee.

Dan/W4NTI

Didn't hear you either according to my log. Maybe another time.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Yep, I wasn't feeling too well on Saturday. My other op couldn't make it.
So I did mostly search and pounce on Saturday.

On Sunday towards the mid day I started CQing. Managed 434 qso's, 76 out
of 80 sections. Not good. But considering it all...hi.

See ya down the log.

Dan/W4NTI