Old November 17th 03, 05:22 PM
KØHB

Default RRAP call signs in SS

Worked N8UZE and W4NTI this past weekend. Where were the rest of you? I
coulda used the Q's!

I think the ionosphere was tilted because there was a LOT of one way
propagation. Maybe someone put diodes in my transmission lines?

ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Help support youth involved in Amateur Radio.
http://www.mnyarc.org

Old November 17th 03, 10:28 PM
Robert Casey

KØHB wrote:

Worked N8UZE and W4NTI this past weekend. Where were the rest of you? I
coulda used the Q's!

I was on briefly, but had to do the leaves in the yard.

I think the ionosphere was tilted because there was a LOT of one way
propagation. Maybe someone put diodes in my transmission lines?

I've had that happen fairly often as well. My rig's receiver seems to
"hear further" than
my rigs transmitter can "shout". But I heard a local ham also not get
heard by some
DX that didn't hear me. Probably a few too many contesters QRMing each
other.
It happens, no malice assumed or expected.

Old November 17th 03, 11:55 PM
John Siegel

KØHB wrote:
Worked N8UZE and W4NTI this past weekend. Where were the rest of you? I
coulda used the Q's!

I think the ionosphere was tilted because there was a LOT of one way
propagation. Maybe someone put diodes in my transmission lines?

ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Help support youth involved in Amateur Radio.
http://www.mnyarc.org
http://www.k0bsa.org

Wasn't able to get on until Sunday afternoon and just for a short while.
I did give you a QSO.
73, John K4BNC

Old November 18th 03, 12:18 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Short skip was really loud on 20 on Saturday. You were slammin in here.

I use a vertical loop at about 45 feet to the top. Really does well on NVIS
stuff.

Great hearing you.

Don't think I heard Dee.

Dan/W4NTI

ink.net...

Old November 18th 03, 01:22 AM
KØHB

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote

Short skip was really loud on 20 on Saturday. You were slammin in here.

I use a vertical loop at about 45 feet to the top. Really does well on

NVIS
stuff.

North/South paths were excellent, but East/West paths were non-symmetrical,
which suggests a tilted ionosphere. The further north you were, the more
exaggerated the effect was. I was hearing the W7/VE7's weak and watery,
but they reported my signal as huge. Meanwhile W1/VE1's who I had 20-over
were CQ'ing in my face.

Can't wait for CQWWCW!!! Maybe the freckles-del-Sol will be more
cooperative.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 18th 03, 01:41 AM
Robert Casey

North/South paths were excellent, but East/West paths were non-symmetrical,
which suggests a tilted ionosphere. The further north you were, the more
exaggerated the effect was. I was hearing the W7/VE7's weak and watery,
but they reported my signal as huge. Meanwhile W1/VE1's who I had 20-over
were CQ'ing in my face.

Didn't think that could happen. I thought light (here radio waves)
would propagate
equally as well going as well as coming back. Like "If you can see my
face I also
can see your face".

Old November 18th 03, 02:46 AM
KØHB

"Robert Casey" wrote

North/South paths were excellent, but East/West paths were

non-symmetrical,
which suggests a tilted ionosphere. The further north you were, the more
exaggerated the effect was. I was hearing the W7/VE7's weak and watery,
but they reported my signal as huge. Meanwhile W1/VE1's who I had

20-over
were CQ'ing in my face.

Didn't think that could happen. I thought light (here radio waves)
would propagate equally as well going as well as coming back.
Like "If you can see my face I also can see your face".

Imagine that the ionosphere is an imperfect mirror which reflects signals
best when they arrive at some specific angle, and reflects less well when
the signals do not arrive at that optimum angle. Now imagine that the
"mirror" is tilted to favor one direction (your signals arrive at mirror at
the right angle, but mine arrive at a more oblique angle and are
consequently refracted more than reflected, and at the same time the
reflection angle is such that my signals pass "over your head" to a more
distant point. ). I will hear you well, but my signal will be attenuated.
From my end the skip appears "short", but from your end the skip will appear
"long".

Only when the mirror is equidistant between us and when it is "flat" will
the path be symmetrical and relative signal strengths reciprocal.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 18th 03, 02:50 AM
KØHB

"John Siegel" wrote

Wasn't able to get on until Sunday afternoon and just for a short while.
I did give you a QSO.

73, John K4BNC

Thanks!!!

I remember the QSO because of your suffix. Was tempted to make a wise
remark like "Hey, thanks for the nice connection!", but was struggling for
points at that time, so I didn't slow down for chit-chat. Sorry I didn't
recognize it was you.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 18th 03, 03:46 AM
Dee D. Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
Worked N8UZE and W4NTI this past weekend. Where were the rest of you? I
coulda used the Q's!

I think the ionosphere was tilted because there was a LOT of one way
propagation. Maybe someone put diodes in my transmission lines?

ô¿ô 73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Help support youth involved in Amateur Radio.
http://www.mnyarc.org
http://www.k0bsa.org

Was it me or my OM working the mike? Our goal was the clean sweep but we
just didn't get the propagation. I heard the PAC section but to weak for me
to be able to get through the pile up and we never did hear NT from here.
We ended up 10 sections short. Last year, when we weren't even trying we
were only 3 sections short.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 18th 03, 03:50 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...
Short skip was really loud on 20 on Saturday. You were slammin in here.

I use a vertical loop at about 45 feet to the top. Really does well on

NVIS
stuff.

Great hearing you.

Don't think I heard Dee.

Dan/W4NTI

Didn't hear you either according to my log. Maybe another time.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE