Old November 18th 03, 07:01 PM
KØHB

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote

I know this is not 'one way skip', but for a bit of interest... I used to
run skeds into VK land (Australia). During the null of a cycle. There
were times that when I beamed over the SOUTH POLE it was better than the
direct path.

I'm not sure it should be called 'one way skip'. But for lack of a better
term..hi.

That's "skew path" propagation. It's actually pretty common, but you don't
notice it so much when we're high in the sunspot cycle curve. At solar-flux
minimum, however, it becomes more noticed because you are more likely to
"tweak" your beam azimuth to wring that last little half-dB of signal
strength. Also, it seems more prevalent on the lower bands, below 10MHz,
which otherwise can get hammered by auroral zone absorption.

From here in the midwest, the skew path to EU is toward western Africa,
almost 45 degrees of the normal azimuth. During CQWW I often work from
W0AIH's superstation ( http://www.qth.com/w0aih/ ), and use the Africa
rhombic to work Europe --- it's non-intuitive, but you can really roll up
a score on 80M!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 18th 03, 11:47 PM
John Siegel

KØHB wrote:
"John Siegel" wrote

Wasn't able to get on until Sunday afternoon and just for a short while.
I did give you a QSO.

73, John K4BNC

Thanks!!!

I remember the QSO because of your suffix. Was tempted to make a wise
remark like "Hey, thanks for the nice connection!", but was struggling for
points at that time, so I didn't slow down for chit-chat. Sorry I didn't
recognize it was you.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Too bad I can't get a royalty for each BNC used by a ham!
John

Old November 19th 03, 12:40 AM
N2EY

Robert Casey wrote in message ...
KØHB wrote:

Only when the mirror is equidistant between us and when it is "flat" will
the path be symmetrical and relative signal strengths reciprocal.

Somehow I would have thought that light (radio waves) could travel
either direction
on the same exact path. And that attenuation either way would be identical.
Same for the same set of multiple paths.

But it's been years since Physics class......

As W4NTI points out, the ionosphere isn't really a reflector - it's a
refractor. The waves are bent, not bounced.

When the ionosphere is stable and uniform, it behaves *like* a mirror,
and the 2 way reciprocity thing works well. But when it's tilted,
twisted or otherwise distorted, the refraction in one direction may be
different than in the opposite direction.

As an analogy, think of "one way" mirrors in optics and how they
behave under the right conditions.

73 de Jim, N2EY

"If it happens, it must be possible"

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old November 19th 03, 01:17 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"KØHB" wrote in message link.net...

Worked N8UZE and W4NTI this past weekend. Where were the rest of you? I
coulda used the Q's!

Sincere apologies here, Hans...Got called in to work. Wudda MUCH
rather been working the radio than wading through body parts...

73

Steve, K4YZ
Old November 22nd 03, 07:20 PM
Dee D. Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote

Was it me or my OM working the mike?

Musta been the OM, because I remember at the time thinking "that's Dee's
call" but then I had a mental disconnect because the op didn't sound all
that feminine. Sure glad I didn't say "Hi Sweetie"!!!! grin

73, de Hans, K0HB

Yes he's got a nice sounding tenor voice although being an alto my voice
isn't too much higher than his but it is noticeably different.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE