Old December 4th 03, 04:25 AM
Rod Anderson

Default Fallacy - Morse code is still the easiest way to get on the air,

I keep hearing the claim that Morse code is still the easiest way to
get on the air,but it isn't so. Most radios come with a microphone
and all you have to do is look up the power and antenna. to operate
worse code. You also have to buy a key and the operating requirements
are more stringent,

For operating phone, you can set the radio up on a table. Next to
your easy chair.To operate Morse code, you need a good table to hold
the key,and raced your arm on and a chair to keep you in the proper
posture.

On the other hand, some people require even more equipment to operate
Morse code, Because I have Parkinson's disease I am unable to use a
manual key or and if I were to use Morse: I would either need a
computer keyboard with good macros or modify a speech to text program
to provide my input, and since I can't write five words a minute and
would either need a Morse to text converter or at the least a keyboard
with a notebook program, I would be better off using RTTY or some
other digital modes rather than Morse code.

As far as learning Morse code what is the point? I will never be able
to use it and in my case, why should I waste time learning it,

Speech to text programs generate some interesting typos, I hope I
caught them all.

Rod Anderson
W0RCA
Old December 7th 03, 04:07 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Rod Anderson
writes:

On the other hand, some people require even more equipment to operate
Morse code, Because I have Parkinson's disease I am unable to use a
manual key or and if I were to use Morse: I would either need a
computer keyboard with good macros or modify a speech to text program
to provide my input, and since I can't write five words a minute and
would either need a Morse to text converter or at the least a keyboard
with a notebook program, I would be better off using RTTY or some
other digital modes rather than Morse code.

As far as learning Morse code what is the point? I will never be able
to use it and in my case, why should I waste time learning it,

Speech to text programs generate some interesting typos, I hope I
caught them all.

Rod Anderson
W0RCA

Rod:

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using those speech-to-text programs
on RTTY or other digital modes? I'd be interested in knowing how they
worked.

If you are interested in digital modes and can type a little, you should
consider the MixW software. I am presently using MixW version 2.06,
and it works great on PSK-31, RTTY, and Hellschreiber. It also works
with virtually any other digital mode, but those are the only ones I've
personally used so far. It has very easy to program and use macros, so
it should be possible to communicate very effectively even without being
able to type in real time. I don't remember the web site URL, but just
do a search on MixW and it'll come right up.

73 de Larry, K3LT