Old December 20th 03, 04:38 PM
N2EY

In article .net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

That means passing the post-restructuring 35 question Tech test is "more
difficult" than passing both the pre-restructuring 30 question Novice
test *and* the 5 wpm code receiving test.

Yes.

Well, there you have it. Element 1 is easier than 5 questions on the written
test.

(But only barely, and it is woefully inadequate for the resultant
privileges.)

Woefully inadequate? FCC disagrees! In fact, in 2000 FCC drastically *reduced*
the written testing needed for a Tech. From two tests and pools, frowm which
were derived tests with a total of 65 questions down to one test of 35
questions and a combined pool.

FCC thinks that 35 question Tech test is adequate. The same FCC that sees "no
regulatory purpose" in code tests.

Is FCC mistaken?

Have the changes of 2000 gotten us more tinkerers per unit time than

before?

What the hell are "tinkerers per unit time"?

Sorry, Hans, I thought you had an engineering background. ;-)

I'll rephrase:

Have the changes of 2000 resulted in more tinkerers entering the ARS in a given
time period (say, per year) than before the changes were made?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 20th 03, 04:54 PM
Dee D. Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

"N2EY" wrote

Why is it "pathetic"? A significant number of hams are interested in

"vintage"
radio. Just like a significant number of people like antique furniture,

classic
cars, oldies music, past films and books, vintage clothing, etc. Doesn't

mean
they are "stuck in the past".

They already have a monthly feature called "Old Radios" and "75/50/25

Years
Ago", and now a special "Vintage Radio" issue each year besides? Maybe we
could do a photo-feature of "The Girls of Geratol Net" with a centerfold

for
those of you who get off on old stuff. (Yes, Virginia, there really is a
"Geratol Net"!)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Are you aware of what the GERATOL net is all about? It doesn't sound like
it from your post. They are an organization of and for Extra class amateur
radio operators and promote usage of the Extra class band segments by an
award program. The awards add difficulty to the pursuit since only stations
worked in the Extra segments count for their equivalent of Worked All
States, etc. It has nothing to do with age.

http://www.skyport.com/geratol/
Greetings
Extra
Radio
Amateurs
Tired of
Operating
Lately

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 20th 03, 05:21 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Oops sorry, I accidentally posted without comment

N2EY wrote:

In article .net,

"KØHB"
writes:

How much nicer if there were an "Annual Future Systems Issue".

Why not? Isn't there room for both?

How many articles have there been in QST over the past few years on PSK,

MFSK,
WSJT, digital voice, IRLP.....?

Here you have a pattern, Jim. As much as I like the new modes, All they
are is install the software and hook up the interface. Troubleshooting
is which software switch to change.

Besides that PSK, MFSK, WSJT, digital voice, and IRLP are not "future
systems". They are here now. A "future system" would have to be something
envisioned but not yet set up in hardware and software to do it. In other
words, it would need to be an issue of speculation. Now whether that would
be good or bad or popular or unpopular, I don't know.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 20th 03, 05:21 PM
Dee D. Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"N2EY" wrote

If a 50+ year old transmitter on a wooden chassis can put out a legal

signal
and make QSOs, what't the problem?

No problem at all if you want to waste your time with that, but to have

the
National Association of Amateur Radio feature half century old technology

as
feature article(s) in their membership journal speaks volumns.

§ 97.1(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to
contribute to the ADVANCEMENT of the radio art.

73, de Hans, K0HB

It's often helpful to have insight into the past and past systems to come up
with the future proposals.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 20th 03, 06:26 PM
KØHB

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

Are you aware of what the GERATOL net is all about?

Yes, I'm aware what it's about and 25 years ago I was a member (#515 if you
care to check). Now it has devolved into an inbred group of about 50 people
who meet every night on 75 meters and "exchange numbers". Some
"difficulty"!

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!! !!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 20th 03, 06:32 PM
KØHB

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

It's often helpful to have insight into the past and past systems to come

up
with the future proposals.

If you can persuade me that a transmitter comprised of 2 obsolete 1930's
tubes cobbled together on a wooden chassis gives insights which lead to
future breakthroughs in the radio art, then I'll owe you a lobster dinner at
Dayton.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 20th 03, 07:03 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

In article .net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

That means passing the post-restructuring 35 question Tech test is "more
difficult" than passing both the pre-restructuring 30 question Novice
test *and* the 5 wpm code receiving test.

Yes.

Well, there you have it. Element 1 is easier than 5 questions on the written
test.

Balderdash!

(But only barely, and it is woefully inadequate for the resultant
privileges.)

Woefully inadequate? FCC disagrees! In fact, in 2000 FCC drastically *reduced*
the written testing needed for a Tech. From two tests and pools, frowm which
were derived tests with a total of 65 questions down to one test of 35
questions and a combined pool.

FCC thinks that 35 question Tech test is adequate. The same FCC that sees "no
regulatory purpose" in code tests.

Is FCC mistaken?

Another argument for the no test agenda:

We regularly hurtle at each other at combined speeds of 150 miles per
hour and more, wearing nothing but street clothes, and strapped into
devices carrying a large load of almomst explosivly flammable liquid.

And we're afraid to let people run radios that are putting out the same
power as the microwave oven over my stove?

I'll rephrase:

Have the changes of 2000 resulted in more tinkerers entering the ARS in a given
time period (say, per year) than before the changes were made?

Most of the tinkerers I know are pro-code test amateurs. Mine isn't a
scientific survey, but I've noticed a common thread among them. They are
very interested in RF technology. They are intensely interested in
Amateur radio. They really like getting their hands down into the
equipment. And whether this is related or not, they are also very
interested in Morse code. I've seen some cutting edge stuff made by
these same people.

I do not know one technician that has done as much as build his or her
own antenna. Well wait, I built a 1/4 wave ground plane for 2 meters
when I was a Tech. But that's it.

Based on that admittidly small sample, I would have to say that we are
putting out less tinkers per unit time, and almost certainly less per
hamcapita. (Hans, that means tinkerers per total numbe of Hams. 8^))

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 20th 03, 07:05 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

If you don't like what's in QST, why not write some articles featuring things
you'd like to see? Heck, they published some of my stuff - they can't be *that*
fussy! ;-)

Cool!!! When? I'd love to read them.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 20th 03, 07:10 PM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"KØHB" wrote in message
[...]

Tuning through one evening, I came across the net. After hearing it was
the Geratol net, I perked up. This might be worth a few minutes of weird
fun, hearing about peoples bunions and hernia operations. Nothing! a
regular net, except for one person who asked how anothers wife was
doing. "much better thank you" was the answer, then went on to net business.

Sunnavgun!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 20th 03, 07:20 PM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

Well, there you have it. Element 1 is easier than 5 questions on the

written
test.

No, you don't "have it" at all, Jim.

Question for question, the Technician examination questions are noticeably
more difficult than those on the old Novice examination, and there are more
of them.

Woefully inadequate? FCC disagrees!

Do you think they're right?

(1) FCC thinks that 35 question Tech test is adequate.
(2)The same FCC that sees "no regulatory purpose" in code tests.

Is FCC mistaken?

They are mistaken on point one. They are correct on point 2.

Have the changes of 2000 resulted in more tinkerers entering the ARS in a

given
time period (say, per year) than before the changes were made?

I have no way of knowing for sure. Neither do you. It is my belief,
however, that the diminished emphasis on technical issues in the test, along
with the 'Ham Press' lack of emphasis on technical matters, is making the
Amateur Radio service less effective in recruiting those of an experimental
and tinkering bent.

73, de Hans, K0HB