Old January 11th 04, 11:39 PM
Len Over 21

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

"garigue" wrote in message
news:nv%Lb.18348$I06.132801@attbi_s01...

I've looked all through Part 97...and ALL volumes of Title 47 C.F.R.
and there is NOTHING applicable to Halloween, Christianity,
Christmas, New Years Day, or anything else in your post.

Here there be demons, of course, but the above has NOTHING to
do with ham radio or even amateur radio.

What dictionary are you using?

What alternate reality are you living in?

WMD

Oh-Oh Dee you have just violated Len's off topic rule. You better watch it
on the air when he .....wait he doesn't have a ticket. Oh well ....

God Bless 73 Tom KI3R

I long ago killfiled Len. And as the old commercial went "Plop, Plop, Oh
what a relief it is".

Sure you did.

Doing the ostrich bit keeps your thinking prim, proper, and along
the Established Paths of Amateur Righteousness. That will keep
you in the 1930s Standards and Practices of Behavior (with
allowance of solid-state electronics...to show "state of the art").

Feel free to emulate a high-quality SPARK transmitter that was
capable only of on-off keying. Keeps Tradition alive well and
unhappy into this new millenium.

Hiram forbid that you should ever try to use another (shudder)
form of modulation in the Archaic Radiotelegraphy Service.

WMD
Old January 12th 04, 05:24 PM
D. Stussy

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Robert Casey wrote:
btw, you might want to look up the origin of the word "Easter"...

And what connection the resurection of Jesus Christ has with rabbits hiding
colored chicken eggs has.

And why no holiday for "Wester", "Norther", and "Souther" :-)

And why kids get dressed up in costumes and ask neighbors for candy on
Halloween. A Chinese friend once asked me about that, all I could say
was that it was an ancient tradition that nobody knows where it came from
or why it was done.

That I can answer - in part: All Hallows Day (November 1) is "The Day of the
Dead" and may also have represented the end of the fall harvest. The dressing
up as "evil" things (zombies, ghouls, then later, witches/warlocks and such)
sources from that. How it became corrupted to permit anyone to dress up as
ANYTHING like aliens, Superman, Princess Leia, etc., I cannot be certain of but
is most like the result of corporate greed, advertising, and the fact that
"costume party" (at least for adults) is what people really remember.

Santa Claus actually has a religious tie in with Christmas. Santa is a
modified version of St Nick, who, a few hundred years ago somewheres
in Europe, would give the kids in his town small gifts to celebrate the
birth of Christ.

There's a little more to this. Saint Niclaus was also the patron saint of
children. It wasn't so much the time of year but the act of giving toys that
was connected to him. Since children didn't have organized school then, giving
them something to do during the winter when they couldn't play outside due to
the weather (snow) led to toys at the beginning of winter - and guess what time
of year that was. I don't believe that the tie-in to the birth of Christ was
foremost but more coincidental.

Up next: Q sign for Martin Luther King day: QMK

I think the most appropriate sign for this group is QFU. It is certainly
screwed.
Old January 13th 04, 06:12 PM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article nv%Lb.18348$I06.132801@attbi_s01, "garigue"
writes:

Oh-Oh Dee you have just violated Len's off topic rule. You better watch it
on the air when he .....wait he doesn't have a ticket. Oh well ....

Dee (aka Ms Manners the Mother) has her "plonk filter" on...which
means she can't see my posts...she said.

Those who use "killfiles" are merely burrowing their heads in the
sand, refusing to look at other opinions.

In any other venue that would be an ultimate dumbing-down. A
firm refusal to even see another "unkind" post. Ostrich manner.

Sort of a psychnological refuge and "safe area" where all the seen
opinions are the "comfortable" ones that all agree upon.

I wouldn't fret none. All the "regulars" in here are mighty macho
morsemen...and one woman trying to sound off like she has a
pair.

I'll let you get back to the MAIN topic in this newsgroup...discussing
favorite female TV stars of the past. That's extremely important from
the aspect of amateur radio policy.

Nice not really talking at you, Tom...

WMD

Let's put it in terms you might be able to understand, Leonard. Dee
lives in a nice little house with a lovely flower garden and a pond.
Some years later, an unsightly landfill is built across the road. Dee
decides to build a privacy fence of tall evergreens so she doesn't have
to view the landfill.

In this scenario, you are the landfill.

Dave K8MN
Old January 13th 04, 06:26 PM
Bert Craig

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Len Over 21 wrote:

Dee (aka Ms Manners the Mother) has her "plonk filter" on...which
means she can't see my posts...she said.

Those who use "killfiles" are merely burrowing their heads in the
sand, refusing to look at other opinions.

Let's put it in terms you might be able to understand, Leonard. Dee
lives in a nice little house with a lovely flower garden and a pond.
Some years later, an unsightly landfill is built across the road. Dee
decides to build a privacy fence of tall evergreens so she doesn't have
to view the landfill.

In this scenario, you are the landfill.

Dave K8MN

Lol, nice description. If you don't feed the trolls, they'll eventually go
back under their bridge.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old January 14th 04, 01:23 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dave Heil" wrote in message

Let's put it in terms you might be able to understand, Leonard. Dee
lives in a nice little house with a lovely flower garden and a pond.
Some years later, an unsightly landfill is built across the road. Dee
decides to build a privacy fence of tall evergreens so she doesn't have
to view the landfill.

In this scenario, you are the landfill.

Dave K8MN

Thank you for a marvelous analogy. While we often can't change the world,
we can beautify our own little corner of it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 14th 04, 09:46 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Len Over 21 wrote:

Those who use "killfiles" are merely burrowing their heads in the
sand, refusing to look at other opinions.

Let's put it in terms you might be able to understand, Leonard. Dee
lives in a nice little house with a lovely flower garden and a pond.
Some years later, an unsightly landfill is built across the road. Dee
decides to build a privacy fence of tall evergreens so she doesn't have
to view the landfill.

In this scenario, you are the landfill.

Ka....BOOM! On the head, Dave...nice one!~

73

Steve, K4YZ
Old January 14th 04, 09:25 PM
Dave Heil

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Len Over 21 wrote:

Those who use "killfiles" are merely burrowing their heads in the
sand, refusing to look at other opinions.

Let's put it in terms you might be able to understand, Leonard. Dee
lives in a nice little house with a lovely flower garden and a pond.
Some years later, an unsightly landfill is built across the road. Dee
decides to build a privacy fence of tall evergreens so she doesn't have
to view the landfill.

In this scenario, you are the landfill.

Ka....BOOM! On the head, Dave...nice one!~

Thank you. Sometimes the words seem to write themselves.

Dave K8MN
Old January 17th 04, 04:23 AM
Len Over 21

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

Thank you for a marvelous analogy. While we often can't change the world,
we can beautify our own little corner of it.

More ostrich-like behavior. Imagination is wonderful. Wish you had
some...

LHA / WMD
Old January 17th 04, 04:23 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Let's put it in terms you might be able to understand, Leonard. Dee
lives in a nice little house with a lovely flower garden and a pond.
Some years later, an unsightly landfill is built across the road. Dee
decides to build a privacy fence of tall evergreens so she doesn't have
to view the landfill.

In this scenario, you are the landfill.

Only in YOUR mind, Trashman.

Well, you are a fine example of U.S. amateur radio as it has evolved
up to today. The antithesis of "The Amateur's Code."

Look out for that big D-7 coming at your antenna farm, olde-tymer.

LHA / WMD
Old January 22nd 04, 01:11 AM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Let's put it in terms you might be able to understand, Leonard. Dee
lives in a nice little house with a lovely flower garden and a pond.
Some years later, an unsightly landfill is built across the road. Dee
decides to build a privacy fence of tall evergreens so she doesn't have
to view the landfill.

In this scenario, you are the landfill.

Only in YOUR mind, Trashman.

That reminds me; I have to take some stuff to the Lenfill.

Well, you are a fine example of U.S. amateur radio as it has evolved
up to today. The antithesis of "The Amateur's Code."

Let's see, Leonard....This isn't amateur radio and you aren't a radio
amateur.

Look out for that big D-7 coming at your antenna farm, olde-tymer.

Naw, it was just a big backhoe coming *for* my antenna farm. Holes for
the towers, trenches for electric and gas lines and a couple for the
hardline runs. At ease, Sgt. Anderson.

Dave K8MN

Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1422 ­ November 12, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 November 12th 04 07:24 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1422 ­ November 12, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 November 12th 04 07:24 PM
Call signs You can IRON-ON your own shirts Check it out We cut it you IRON IT! videorov General 1 September 24th 04 02:12 AM
RRAP call signs in SS KØHB Policy 24 November 22nd 03 07:20 PM
Portable/mobile call signs Sterling Garwood Policy 3 August 17th 03 04:33 AM