Old January 16th 04, 03:06 PM
Scott

Default A Newbies View On Things

Hi folks.

Please allow me to give a "newbies" view on the current state of amateur
radio, and also ask a few questions.

I recently took my Technicians License exam and passed with a perfect score.
(I bring up the score just to indicate that I studied hard, and took the
exam seriously). I am now studying to take the 5wpm mores code test. I have
not yet purchased a radio, or even been "on the air". More on this is a
moment.

I have also joined a local radio club, whose first meeting I attended last
night. This club owns and maintains the local 2m repeater, and even though
it is an open repeater, if nothing else, I feel as though by joining, I am
helping to support a service which I plan on eventually using.

But what disappoints me is the fact that I left this meeting knowing
absolutely no more than I did when I walked into the door. I had been led to
believe that one of the best ways for a new guy just becoming involved in
this hobby to get practical advice on things like your first purchase of
equipment, which bands are best for what, and the different applications of
amateur radio, was to join a club. Well, unfortunately, the majority of the
meeting I attended was, in my opinion, controlled by a group of 7 or 8 ham
"veterans" trying to impress one another with their technical knowledge.

So, I guess what I would like to do here is give my views on what I have
seen so far, and invite anyone who is more informed on these matters to
correct me.

1) The Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element in our society.
Even in times of emergency, there is nothing you can do with a ham radio
that you can't do with an internet connection, fax machine, land line
telephone, or cell phone in similar circumstances. Ham Radio is a hobby, and
like golf, gardening, bird watching, or any other hobby, it could cease to
exist tomorrow, and nothing would really change.

2) To me, the most appealing aspect to Ham Radio is the gaining of
knowledge. Learning the "in's and out's" of all that encompasses Ham Radio o
peration is the true fun, whether it is dx'ing, satellite, CW or whatever.
But, like building a boat in a bottle, or even doing a crossword puzzle, the
satisfaction comes in the steps taken to accomplish the task, not the end
result itself.

3) From all accounts that I have heard, the number of new Amateur licenses
issued has been declining for years. This would tell me that the best way to
save the hobby was to open new Hams with open arms, instead of clinging
white-knuckled to the past (packet radio, morse code etc.) look to the
future, and make it fun.

Thanks for letting me rant folks. Now for some questions.

1) Can anyone point me towards any resources to assist someone brand new to
the hobby? (Stuff like recommendations on the type of equipment to get for
the first time buyer)?

2) Also, any sources to purchase used equipment. I think I would rather buy
more functional used stuff, than new equipment that has less "bells and
whistles".

3) One more thing...I am looking for information on antennas that is geared
to the novice.

Thanks folks.

Old January 16th 04, 04:31 PM
Leo

Welcome to the hobby.

You are on the right track - the best way to learn is by finding
someone experienced who can answer your questions as they arise. I'm
sure that there are some folks at your club who would be happy to work
with you - just ignore the fossils and talk to the others - there is
probably someone with similar interests to yours in there somewhere
(and equally tired of listening to the 'experts' - look for bored
facial expressions, or snoring )

Brief answers to your questions are below.

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:06:00 -0600, "Scott"
wrote:

snip

1) Can anyone point me towards any resources to assist someone brand new to
the hobby? (Stuff like recommendations on the type of equipment to get for
the first time buyer)?

This depends a lot on what area of amateur radio you are interested
in. 2-meter operation is quite popular - all you need is a
handi-talkie and a list of local repeaters, and you're ready to go!
OTOH, if your interests lie towards experimenting with the digital
modes or DXing on HF (if you're studying Morse, I suspect that the
prospect of shortwave operation interests you), then it gets more
complex.

What would you like to do?

2) Also, any sources to purchase used equipment. I think I would rather buy
more functional used stuff, than new equipment that has less "bells and
whistles".

I have two preferences here.

Local hamfests are my favourite place for finding used equipment - the
prices can be lower than anywhere else, and you may be able to try
before you buy. Caution is required, though, as there are no
warranties - equipment is as-is.

Find one near you using this ARRL web site:

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

Another possibility is a local ham radio store's traded-in equipment -
not cheap, but they will usually give you some warranty with it. You
can also shop by mail order or over the Web if a store isn't near you.
Most of the big shops advertise in QST or CQ - have a look, and check
out their web sites for what you need.

Online auctions such as eBay can be a good source of equipment as well
- but again, no guarantee that the equipment will work properly, and
the prices are considerably higher than at a hamfest.

3) One more thing...I am looking for information on antennas that is geared
to the novice.

The type and complexity of your antenna will depend heavily on what
you want to operate in the amateur spectrum - do a search on Google
for "Ham Radio Antennas", and you will find quite a few offering plans
for pretty easy-to-build ones to start with.

An example:

http://www.packetradio.com/ant.htm

Thanks folks.

Good luck!

73, Leo

Old January 16th 04, 05:42 PM
JJ

Scott wrote:

Hi folks.

Please allow me to give a "newbies" view on the current state of amateur
radio, and also ask a few questions.

I recently took my Technicians License exam and passed with a perfect score.
(I bring up the score just to indicate that I studied hard, and took the
exam seriously). I am now studying to take the 5wpm mores code test. I have
not yet purchased a radio, or even been "on the air". More on this is a
moment.

Congratulations!!

[...]

Did you introduce yourself as a newcomer to ham radio? Did you seek out
any of these experienced hams for advice? Did you expect them to
automatically know you were a newbie with little experience and rush to
your assistance? I think basing your opinion of the club on only one
visit is a bit hasty. Continue to go to the meeting and get to know some
of the other hams before you pass judgment.

So, I guess what I would like to do here is give my views on what I have
seen so far, and invite anyone who is more informed on these matters to
correct me.

1) The Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element in our society.
Even in times of emergency, there is nothing you can do with a ham radio
that you can't do with an internet connection, fax machine, land line
telephone, or cell phone in similar circumstances. Ham Radio is a hobby, and
like golf, gardening, bird watching, or any other hobby, it could cease to
exist tomorrow, and nothing would really change.

You haven't participated in any disasters yet have you? What happens
when all power is down, phone lines down, cell networks jammed to the
point of being totally useless for any emergency. I will give you an
example.
In 1979 a mile wide tornado ripped through Wichita Falls, Texas taking
out the main power lines serving the city. The entire city was without
power, most phone lines were down. What few circuits were working were
so overloaded it was nearly impossible to get a call into or out of the
city. Little good the internet, fax machines, would have been. If there
had been cell phones like there are now, most of the towers would have
been down or damaged and what of the cell phone network might have been
working would also have been overloaded. Hospitals were on emergency
power, filling stations could not pump gasoline, most business were
closed, the area the tornado ripped through look like a war zone. Police
and fire and other emergency services antennas were down. The major
reliable communications came from amateur radio. Clubs from around the
area brought in VHF repeaters and HF stations, powered by generators.
Two meter base stations were set up at stratigic locations, such as
hospitals, police and fire departments, and the red cross. Hams with
handhelds accompanied emergency officials to provide communications.
Until some of the public services were restored, the major traffic in
and out of the area was handled by amateur HF communications.
In the 1980's an earthquake hit San Francisco with similar results. What
phone circuits were operative were so overloaded it was next to
impossible to call in or out of the city. Amateur radio provided
communications with VHF and HF capabilities.
Ask those who participated in the 9/11 disaster and you will hear
similar stories.
So saying that the internet, fax machines, cellsphones ect., will always
be able to handle communications in any disaster is ignoring the facts.
The Office of Homeland Security recgonizes the ability of amateur radio
to emergency communications and is incorporating that into their plans.

2) To me, the most appealing aspect to Ham Radio is the gaining of
knowledge. Learning the "in's and out's" of all that encompasses Ham Radio o
peration is the true fun, whether it is dx'ing, satellite, CW or whatever.
But, like building a boat in a bottle, or even doing a crossword puzzle, the
satisfaction comes in the steps taken to accomplish the task, not the end
result itself.

And you can get a lot of help in that area from fellow hams, but don't
expect others automatically know your needs and to stumble over
themselves to rush to your aid unless you seek their help.

3) From all accounts that I have heard, the number of new Amateur licenses
issued has been declining for years. This would tell me that the best way to
save the hobby was to open new Hams with open arms, instead of clinging
white-knuckled to the past (packet radio, morse code etc.) look to the
future, and make it fun.

Thanks for letting me rant folks. Now for some questions.

1) Can anyone point me towards any resources to assist someone brand new to
the hobby? (Stuff like recommendations on the type of equipment to get for
the first time buyer)?

Check your library, they usually have books on amateur radio and may
also have QST.

2) Also, any sources to purchase used equipment. I think I would rather buy
more functional used stuff, than new equipment that has less "bells and
whistles".

See the other rec.radio.amateur groups, particullarly the .swap groups.
Also check ebay.

3) One more thing...I am looking for information on antennas that is geared
to the novice.

Check you library for some of the ARRL antenna books, or the Amateur
Radio Handbook.

Good luck in your new hobby.

Old January 16th 04, 05:59 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Scott" wrote:

(snip) The Amateur Radio Service is
not an essential element in our society.
Even in times of emergency, there is
nothing you can do with a ham radio
that you can't do with an internet
connection, fax machine, land line
telephone, or cell phone in similar
circumstances. Ham Radio is a hobby,
and like golf, gardening, bird watching,
or any other hobby, it could cease to
exist tomorrow, and nothing would
really change. (snip)

I won't say Ham radio is essential, but you downplay it too much. Perhaps
you live in an area where major disasters are fairly uncommon, or your local
public service agencies are better prepared, but emergency communications
(supplemental communications) is fairly important in this part of the
country. During a major disaster, the normal communications systems
(internet, fax, phones, and cellular) fail very quickly. Dring a recent
hurricane, even the police, fire, and medical, communications system
suffered major damage. The role ham radio, and ham radio operators, played
during the storm was really amazing. A number were out in the middle of the
night during the storm trying to repair downed antennas for the police and
fire departments. Several manned local radio stations, feeding storm
information from other area hams to the broadcasters. Others manned
evacuation shelters. Following the storm, still others helped to repair
antennas at hospitals (or set up batteries to power their communications
systems). Others manned aid stations. Was any of this essential? Perhaps
not, but I do think it was helpful.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old January 16th 04, 06:48 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

"Scott" wrote in message
Hi folks.
1) The Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element in our society.
Even in times of emergency, there is nothing you can do with a ham radio
that you can't do with an internet connection, fax machine, land line
telephone, or cell phone in similar circumstances. snip

As experience has shown -- oft times internet connection, fax machine, land
line
telephone, or cell phone services are dead or totally overloaded.

3) From all accounts that I have heard, the number of new Amateur licenses
issued has been declining for years. This would tell me that the best way

save the hobby was to open new Hams with open arms, instead of clinging
white-knuckled to the past (packet radio, morse code etc.) look to the
future, and make it fun.

See Ham populations at URL:
http://www.ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

Shows some dips but slow growth overall. 1997 678,473 2004 681,466

1) Can anyone point me towards any resources to assist someone brand new

the hobby? (Stuff like recommendations on the type of equipment to get for
the first time buyer)?

Like Ford, Chevy, Dodge -- but for user reviews see URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/

3) One more thing...I am looking for information on antennas that is

geared
to the novice.

Tons of antenna projects at URL:
http://ac6v.com/antprojects.htm

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Old January 16th 04, 07:50 PM
Robert Casey

But what disappoints me is the fact that I left this meeting knowing
absolutely no more than I did when I walked into the door. I had been led to
believe that one of the best ways for a new guy just becoming involved in
this hobby to get practical advice on things like your first purchase of
equipment, which bands are best for what, and the different applications of
amateur radio, was to join a club. Well, unfortunately, the majority of the
meeting I attended was, in my opinion, controlled by a group of 7 or 8 ham
"veterans" trying to impress one another with their technical knowledge.

Hunt around for other clubs. Some will be "old boy" frats, others more
technically
minded.

So, I guess what I would like to do here is give my views on what I have
seen so far, and invite anyone who is more informed on these matters to
correct me.

1) The Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element in our society.
Even in times of emergency, there is nothing you can do with a ham radio
that you can't do with an internet connection, fax machine, land line
telephone, or cell phone in similar circumstances.

True for some situations, but when a bigger disaster takes out the
infrastructure that
the land lines, faxes, internet and cell phones depend on, enough ham
stations usually
survive the disaster that emergency communications can still happen.
Ham radio
requires no infrastructure other than the radio, mic or code key,
antenna and a power
source (battery or a car) to function.

Cell phones work pretty well if you need to report a car accident, but
an earth
quake will likely take out the system the cell phones need to function.

Old January 16th 04, 09:52 PM
garigue

"Scott" wrote in message
Hi folks.

Hello Scott and congrats on the pass. I am always glad to see new new blood
in the service. Our no-code tech course for our club started on Monday and
we had 10 people sign up. Very gratifing ....

Regarding the club .... I'd go for an few more meetings just to make sure
as sometimes first impressions are not true. If you are are not comfortable
then turn and walk away. I have done that in the past .... there is
nothing wrong with utilizing your energies as best you see fit.

Equipment .... like posterior orifices ....everybody has one and I am surely
not going to bore you with mine. Talk to someone regarding you operation
desires and then they can steer you the right way. I would be glad to talk
to you one on one if need be via Echo-Link.

Just remember Scott that hams are a cross section of the populace .... I
have known hams that approach sainthood and those that are convicted
murderers. You will have plenty of stories to tell over the years via this
"hobby" and thankfully the preponderance of them will be positive.

In closing Scott ....don't be afraid to give your call .... I don't think
many ax murderers hang out here.

God Bless ... 73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Old January 16th 04, 11:15 PM
Brian Kelly

"Scott" wrote in message ...
[...]

Noise level. Give it a 0.1.

Hey Bubba, trolling is obviously not one of your skills, try some other "activity".

You're welcome.

Do these things exist? Richard Homebrew 8 February 15th 04 04:28 PM
Do these things exist? Richard Homebrew 0 February 13th 04 10:04 PM
A Newbies View On Things Scott General 6 January 18th 04 10:41 PM
France is conquered by of all things, an Italian. Clint Policy 3 October 12th 03 05:21 AM