Old January 17th 04, 04:25 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Scott"
writes:

Hi folks.

Please allow me to give a "newbies" view on the current state of amateur
radio, and also ask a few questions.

I recently took my Technicians License exam and passed with a perfect score.
(I bring up the score just to indicate that I studied hard, and took the
exam seriously). I am now studying to take the 5wpm mores code test. I have
not yet purchased a radio, or even been "on the air". More on this is a
moment.

Scott:

Good work, keep it up.

I have also joined a local radio club, whose first meeting I attended last
night. This club owns and maintains the local 2m repeater, and even though
it is an open repeater, if nothing else, I feel as though by joining, I am
helping to support a service which I plan on eventually using.

But what disappoints me is the fact that I left this meeting knowing
absolutely no more than I did when I walked into the door.

That is not entirely unusual, and nothing to be worried about for now.

I had been led to
believe that one of the best ways for a new guy just becoming involved in
this hobby to get practical advice on things like your first purchase of
equipment, which bands are best for what, and the different applications of
amateur radio, was to join a club. Well, unfortunately, the majority of the
meeting I attended was, in my opinion, controlled by a group of 7 or 8 ham
"veterans" trying to impress one another with their technical knowledge.

You have just described virtually every meeting of every amateur radio club
ever organized on this planet. Again, nothing unusual.

So, I guess what I would like to do here is give my views on what I have
seen so far, and invite anyone who is more informed on these matters to
correct me.

1) The Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element in our society.

Definitely not, but it does serve a useful purpose. After you've been a ham
for a number of years, gained some knowledge and experience, and seen
for yourself what is possible, you will realize that.

Even in times of emergency, there is nothing you can do with a ham radio
that you can't do with an internet connection, fax machine, land line
telephone, or cell phone in similar circumstances.

Not necessarily true in all cases. There have been virtually thousands of
documented cases in which, during severe emergency conditions, amateur
radio operators have been the only practical communications link to "the
outside world" available to a community experiencing a situation which
caused a widespread breakdown of primary communications resources.

Ham Radio is a hobby, and
like golf, gardening, bird watching, or any other hobby, it could cease to
exist tomorrow, and nothing would really change.

Again, not necessarily true. If amateur radio were to cease to exist tomorrow,
then, on the next day, it would have to be re-invented in order to regain the
practical backup communications capability it provides.

2) To me, the most appealing aspect to Ham Radio is the gaining of
knowledge. Learning the "in's and out's" of all that encompasses Ham Radio o
peration is the true fun, whether it is dx'ing, satellite, CW or whatever.
But, like building a boat in a bottle, or even doing a crossword puzzle, the
satisfaction comes in the steps taken to accomplish the task, not the end
result itself.

I vehemently agree.

3) From all accounts that I have heard, the number of new Amateur licenses
issued has been declining for years.

Actually, the total number of licensed amateurs in the U.S. is growing, but at
a pitifully slow rate of approximately 0.003 percent.

This would tell me that the best way to
save the hobby was to open new Hams with open arms, instead of clinging
white-knuckled to the past (packet radio, morse code etc.) look to the
future, and make it fun.

While I don't disagree that we need to be open to more new hams, the simple
fact of life is that the old communications technologies we "cling to with
white-
knuckles," i.e. the Morse code, RTTY, packet radio, and even Single Sideband
voice, all serve a very practical and useful purpose in carrying out our
primary
mission which is to be capable *backup* communicators under conditions where
primary communications systems become unavailable for whatever reasons.
Everything we've ever known about radio technology is always going to be
applicable to practical and effective communications, and we need to retain the
basics in order to understand and create the advances.

Thanks for letting me rant folks. Now for some questions.

"Ranting" is what this newsgroup is all about. Carry on.

1) Can anyone point me towards any resources to assist someone brand new to
the hobby? (Stuff like recommendations on the type of equipment to get for
the first time buyer)?

Yes. That club you joined, but didn't learn anything from on your first
meeting.
there and let them get to know you. Eventually you will find someone there who
can help to steer you in the direction you want to go. However, keep in mind,
that radio amateurs are essentially "self training," which means that it is
primarily
up to you to dig in to the available books, magazines, web sites, and other
information resources. That's what I did, that's what virtually every
successful
radio amateur did. Nobody can beat you over the head with a "knowledge
stick" and thus fill your head with things you didn't know a minute before. It
will take an investment of time and money on your part to acquire knowledge
and the equipment you need to create an effective and efficient amateur radio
station. That should be your goal.

2) Also, any sources to purchase used equipment. I think I would rather buy
more functional used stuff, than new equipment that has less "bells and
whistles".

Try eBay for starters. Also, check out the ARRL web site (www.arrl.org) for
hamfests in your area.

3) One more thing...I am looking for information on antennas that is geared
to the novice.

I'd suggest that you invest in the ARRL Antenna Book. It has something for
virtually every possible application.

Bottom line: Nobody can help you become an amateur radio operator better
than you can your own good self. You need to open books and read them,
then open some more books and read some more. I'd suggest some simple
electronics projects you can build yourself, in order to get some basic
experience with electrical theory and electronics principles. I'd also suggest
that you give top priority to investing in a good HF transceiver with general-
coverage receive capability. The Yaesu FT840 is around $600 brand new,
and could be your main HF rig for years to come.

One more thing: Resolve to learn the Morse code and to use it on the air.
Decide from the start that you are going to be a proficient CW operator, and
don't give in to any of the frustrations normally associated with learning to
use this uniquely practical, effective, efficient, and universal communications
mode. We have all experienced them, and people from all walks of life have
overcome them and become proficient CW operators. It's not that big a deal,
and the only problems you'll have achieving success are those you make
for yourself.

Thanks folks.

Your welcome. You will find more good advice from other regulars in this
newsgroup. Start reading; the learning process starts now.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old January 17th 04, 03:33 PM
Bill Sohl

"Scott" wrote in message
Hi folks.

Please allow me to give a "newbies" view on the current state of amateur
radio, and also ask a few questions.

I recently took my Technicians License exam and passed with a perfect

score.
(I bring up the score just to indicate that I studied hard, and took the
exam seriously). I am now studying to take the 5wpm mores code test. I

have
not yet purchased a radio, or even been "on the air". More on this is a
moment.

Sounds like you're off to a great start.

I have also joined a local radio club, whose first meeting I attended last
night. This club owns and maintains the local 2m repeater, and even though
it is an open repeater, if nothing else, I feel as though by joining, I am
helping to support a service which I plan on eventually using.

Makes good sense.

But what disappoints me is the fact that I left this meeting knowing
absolutely no more than I did when I walked into the door. I had been led

believe that one of the best ways for a new guy just becoming involved in
this hobby to get practical advice on things like your first purchase of
equipment, which bands are best for what, and the different applications

of
amateur radio, was to join a club. Well, unfortunately, the majority of

the
meeting I attended was, in my opinion, controlled by a group of 7 or 8

ham
"veterans" trying to impress one another with their technical knowledge.

Sad, truly sad. In the antique car club I belong to we always introduce
new members at the meeting, we also go around the room at least once
so anyone can ask a question, offer a bit of advice, etc. That fosters
even more 1 on 1 conversations after the meeting ends.

So, I guess what I would like to do here is give my views on what I have
seen so far, and invite anyone who is more informed on these matters to
correct me.

1) The Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element in our society.
Even in times of emergency, there is nothing you can do with a ham radio
that you can't do with an internet connection, fax machine, land line
telephone, or cell phone in similar circumstances. Ham Radio is a hobby,

and
like golf, gardening, bird watching, or any other hobby, it could cease to
exist tomorrow, and nothing would really change.

Wrong. Amateur radio can and has been the ONLY emergency
communications available in many emergencies. Think for a minute
about the scenario of an emergency. No electricity, no internet,
no fax and in many cases no landline if you don't have a plain vanilla
phone that is powered by the teephone line...and even if the
phone is line powered, many times even basic phone service is
out.

2) To me, the most appealing aspect to Ham Radio is the gaining of
knowledge. Learning the "in's and out's" of all that encompasses Ham Radio

peration is the true fun, whether it is dx'ing, satellite, CW or whatever.
But, like building a boat in a bottle, or even doing a crossword puzzle,

the
satisfaction comes in the steps taken to accomplish the task, not the end
result itself.

Different strokes for different folks. Some like the steps, some
the end result. There is no "norm" in my obinion.

3) From all accounts that I have heard, the number of new Amateur licenses
issued has been declining for years. This would tell me that the best way

save the hobby was to open new Hams with open arms, instead of clinging
white-knuckled to the past (packet radio, morse code etc.) look to the
future, and make it fun.

Not declining at all...but not growing significantly either.

Thanks for letting me rant folks. Now for some questions.

1) Can anyone point me towards any resources to assist someone brand new

the hobby? (Stuff like recommendations on the type of equipment to get for
the first time buyer)?

You need to tell us more about what type of on-the-air
you want to do.

2) Also, any sources to purchase used equipment. I think I would rather

buy
more functional used stuff, than new equipment that has less "bells and
whistles".

There's always EBAY plus the amateur magazines like QST and CQ.

3) One more thing...I am looking for information on antennas that is

geared
to the novice.

Check out the ARRL web site for the books and
publications they have available.

Cheers and welcome.
Bill K2UNK

Old January 17th 04, 04:18 PM
Mike Coslo

Leo wrote:

He seemed interested enough in learning the basics - and I'm pretty
sure that he is very new to Amateur Radio, as he didn't ask a single
question about Kim's callsign

sorry bout that....

And that is unforgivable here in rec.radio.amateur.kim.callsign!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 17th 04, 06:29 PM
Leo

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:18:39 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Leo wrote:

He seemed interested enough in learning the basics - and I'm pretty
sure that he is very new to Amateur Radio, as he didn't ask a single
question about Kim's callsign

sorry bout that....

And that is unforgivable here in rec.radio.amateur.kim.callsign!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Awww - give the kid a break this time - he's new!

73, Leo

Old January 17th 04, 07:42 PM
Robert Casey

He seemed interested enough in learning the basics - and I'm pretty
sure that he is very new to Amateur Radio, as he didn't ask a single
question about Kim's callsign

He mentioned birdwatching in the orginial post, so he likely figured that
Kim was abird watcher. A tit is a kind of small bird, if you thought
of something else, well.... ;-)

Old January 17th 04, 10:18 PM
Leo

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:42:03 GMT, Robert Casey
wrote:

He seemed interested enough in learning the basics - and I'm pretty
sure that he is very new to Amateur Radio, as he didn't ask a single
question about Kim's callsign

He mentioned birdwatching in the orginial post, so he likely figured that
Kim was abird watcher. A tit is a kind of small bird, if you thought
of something else, well.... ;-)

Hmmm - he did, didn't he!

LOL es 73, Leo

Old January 18th 04, 01:43 AM
Len Over 21

In article , ospam
(Larry Roll K3LT) writes:

One more thing: Resolve to learn the Morse code and to use it on the air.
Decide from the start that you are going to be a proficient CW operator, and
don't give in to any of the frustrations normally associated with learning to
use this uniquely practical, effective, efficient, and universal
communications mode.

Absolutely! Morse code is at the heart and soul of U.S. amateur
radio!

Morse is so #$%^!!! good that every other radio service continues
to use it for communications! [Larry thinks...without having any
experience in any of them]

Without proficiency in morse code, amateurs are not really
amateurs.

Those who cannot do morse code or care to do morse code are
not recipients of Larrah's Blessings.

We have all experienced them, and people from all walks of life have
overcome them and become proficient CW operators.

Vital, important, mandatory for amateur radio.

Forget everything else and concentrate solely on morse code.

That is all that is needed to be a "good" amateur.

It's not that big a deal,
and the only problems you'll have achieving success are those you make
for yourself.

Yes, failure to become proficient in morse code will result
in a continuing repost of Larrah's skills, nobility, and
accomplishments in the field of radio communications...
resulting in endless peans of self-praise for his unswerving
loyalty to the Beliefs of Hiram.

See the hoops. Jump through the hoops, Larrah. That's a good boy!

Sit.

LHA / WMD

Do these things exist? Richard Homebrew 8 February 15th 04 04:28 PM
Do these things exist? Richard Homebrew 0 February 13th 04 10:04 PM
A Newbies View On Things Scott General 6 January 18th 04 10:41 PM
France is conquered by of all things, an Italian. Clint Policy 3 October 12th 03 05:21 AM