Old January 18th 04, 03:06 PM
Scott

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Re-reading my origanal post, I seem to have come off as a bit of an idiot. I
think maybe I should have taken things a little slower.

And once again, thanks for the gerat advice.

Old January 18th 04, 03:52 PM
Leo

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:06:09 -0600, "Scott"
wrote:

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Re-reading my origanal post, I seem to have come off as a bit of an idiot. I
think maybe I should have taken things a little slower.

Not at all, Scott. There was absolutely nothing wrong with any of
your comments or the way that you said them. Anyone new tends to be
viewed somewhat suspciously in this group - until their intentions are
clear. No big deal!

The unsociable amateurs that you met at the club are the idiots!

In fact, it's good for some of the long time hams here to see what the
views and impressions are of those who are new to the amateur radio -
it shows where improvements are needed to generate more interest in
the hobby. Your club, for example, could use someone in charge of
meeting with new members or visitors and introducing them around -
making them feel welcome.

And once again, thanks for the gerat advice.

Keep asking questions, Scott! When you get on the air for the first
time, you will meet lots of hams who will patiently guide you through
the mechanics of communicating with them - that's where the real fun
(and learning) begins! An example:

My first QSO on HF was with an informal net on 40 meters that I had
been listening to for a few days - and learning how it worked.
Finally, I got up the courage to push the button and say "Contact"
(like I'd heard the others do). The net controller invited me to call
in, I identified myself and told them that this was my first HF
contact since I passed my Morse Code test - and was promptly welcomed
in personally by over 20 other hams, several over 1000 miles away!
Best contact that I have ever had, and the friendliest bunch of people
that I have ever met. Still talk to most of them whenever I have the
chance.

Good luck, and have fun!

73, Leo

Old January 18th 04, 08:34 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "Scott"
writes:

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Only in THIS venue, Scott.

In THIS venue, all the pro-code newsgroupies require all to think,
act, do, behave, and moralize as they do.

To them, amateur radio is NOT a hobby, not a normal recreation.

It is a Way of Life. Comes complete with a rigid moral code.

Pro-coders RULE amateur radio (in here).

All who deviate from an inflexible code of ethics established in 1928
shall be punished (in here) by contant, unremitting pejorative
pummeling by the pro-coders for even daring to say one unkind
word about the Sacred Olde Ways of amateurdom.

Not only are they rigid and inflexible while marching in unified ranks,
they are generally without humor since they are near-absolute
literalists who demand (if not dictate) all following their Orders.

I've been trying to get a word in on the SUBJECT of morse code
testing and have been a constant target of character assassination
by these pro-code newsgroupies. No "civil debate" possible in that
cacophony of code.

Never mind that I got into big-time HF communications at a young
age (much more so than any other in here) and that led to a
career choice of electronics engineering (a decided major change
in education).

No matter. Heil says that is not enough "interest in radio," I must
learn morse code and become an amateur (NOT a professional) to
"show interest in radio."

The resident gunnery nurse spits on professionalism AND night
classes in EE, arming his slingshot with slimy spit and trying to
get down and give him 20 for talking against "superiors." Weird.

An olde-tymer of 48 going on 84 who lives in the past keeps
saying I am always "mistaken" and "incorrect" in another ploy of
perverse character assassination.

This is NOT anywhere close to a venue for "discussion of issues"
in amateur radio. It is a place for newsgroupies to gather and try
to turn into some kind of ARRL-south, to stir stock myths and
old ideas into a stew of meaty morse just like what HAD to be
done in the 1920s and 1930s.

Rigid, inflexible, all march to the same drumbeep.

Re-reading my origanal post, I seem to have come off as a bit of an idiot. I
think maybe I should have taken things a little slower.

No. I don't agree.

If any "error" was committed it was merely in underestimating the
vehemence of the pro-code Life Stylers, the worshippers of the
Church of St. Hiram, the Believers who take all their Life Guidance
from a single membership organization.

In Their view of ham radio, They say what "fun" is in The Service.

And once again, thanks for the gerat advice.

Amateur radio is an interesting, fascinating hobby, a recreational
pursuit involving an intriguing technology.

I'm coming up on my 51st anniversary of putting a 1 KW transmitter
on the air trans-Pacific. Radio and electronics is still fascinating
to me and I've explored a lot of it in the course of a half century.
Been in lots more of the EM spectrum than nearly all of these
rigid pure moralists in here. Never used morse code in all that time,
never had to. Used many more modes and modulations than are
allowed to amateurs. That's not enough!

According to all the pro-code newsgroupies in here, none of that is
"good enough for them." All must do as they did, learn morse code
and pass a morse test, for "morse code gets through when nothing
else will" (expletive deleted).

There can be NO talk or even a hint about changing the morse code
test regulation. Morse code testing MUST remain in the USA for
all radio amateurs. That is the only way to "real" U.S. ham radio.
Those who do not follow the dictates of the moral majority of
pro-code newsgroupies shall be banished from human society!

If the pro-coders had to do it, by darn, EVERYONE has to!

That's what it boils down to...a battle of newsgroup wills.

Those who haven't made out their "will" properly are to be
destroyed. [by any means possible...]

Hang in there, Scott. Pander to the would-be "authority wanna-bes"
if you have to...but GO YOUR OWN WAY. Be your own man, not
a puppet of those who dictate what you can do, what you shall
enjoy, what you must do to please them.

Independent thought is GOOD!

Leonard H. Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person
Old January 19th 04, 11:30 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article , "Scott"
writes:

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Only in THIS venue, Scott.

In THIS venue, all the pro-code newsgroupies require all to think,
act, do, behave, and moralize as they do.

A blatant lie from someone who finds it easy to lie.

I've been trying to get a word in on the SUBJECT of morse code
testing and have been a constant target of character assassination
by these pro-code newsgroupies. No "civil debate" possible in that
cacophony of code.

Another lie. The subject has been "debated", discussed and
dissected until all are nauseous of the topic anymore.

That Lennie has nothing else to discuss as it pertains to Amateur
Radio should be a clue to those new to this forum that would be swayed
by his "debating style".

You've taken grand liberty with the term "literary license" and
have grossly abused any sense of social propriety so many times that
your name is synonomous with "liar" and "antagonist".

That is NOT "civil debate".

No matter. Heil says that is not enough "interest in radio," I must
learn morse code and become an amateur (NOT a professional) to
"show interest in radio."

AMATEUR Radio, Lennie...You have exactly zero-point-zero minutes
of experience in AMATEUR Radio. No one, repeat NO one in this forum
denies that the technology and propagation of radio waves is any
different in any other radio service.

It's the PRACTICE and the APPLICATION of the technology that
makes the difference.

The resident gunnery nurse spits on professionalism AND night
classes in EE, arming his slingshot with slimy spit and trying to
get down and give him 20 for talking against "superiors." Weird.

The "wierd" one here is someone who enters a forum for which he
has expressed absolutely NO interest in being an active part of then
trying to tell those who ARE involved how to go about thier business.

And I do not spit on "professionalism" Lennie.

That assertion is yet ANOTHER lie from somone whio finds it EASY
to lie. I have nothing but the highest regard for professionals in ANY
field...It's just that I have absolutely ZERO respect for YOU since
you've made such a mockery of the title.

An olde-tymer of 48 going on 84 who lives in the past keeps
saying I am always "mistaken" and "incorrect" in another ploy of
perverse character assassination.

Well, Lennie, if you weren't always "mistaken" or "incorrect", I
wouldn't have any room to maneuver, now would I?

As for "going on 84", I will gladly jog around the block a few
times with you or see how well you do carrying a full field pack on
the rescue team. NOW who is involved in another "ploy of pervase
character assassination"...?!?!

This is NOT anywhere close to a venue for "discussion of issues"
in amateur radio. It is a place for newsgroupies to gather and try
to turn into some kind of ARRL-south, to stir stock myths and
old ideas into a stew of meaty morse just like what HAD to be
done in the 1920s and 1930s.

Since YOU seem to be the only one who deems it important to
interject arguments about Morse Code into threads that don't even
adress it, I'd say the fixation is yours, Oh Putzy One.

Rigid, inflexible, all march to the same drumbeep.

That's what YOU would have us doing...One license...everyone the
same...no challenge, skill or functionality...Just a corral of lambs,
beying to the Word of Lennie the Professional.

I'm coming up on my 51st anniversary of putting a 1 KW transmitter
on the air trans-Pacific.

It wasn't YOUR station, Lennie...It was a facility of the United
States Army. They could have just as easily made you a diesel
mechanic...Perhaps then you would have been harrassing the
professional truck drivers.

Army manuals and a Senior NCO told you what to do and how to do
it. They gave you an FM or TM (or the equivelent of the period) and
said "do this".

Biggie wow. We are soooooooooo impressed that YOU were able to
follow instructions "putting a 1KW transmitter on the air
trans-Pacific".

Radio and electronics is still fascinating
to me and I've explored a lot of it in the course of a half century.
Been in lots more of the EM spectrum than nearly all of these
rigid pure moralists in here. Never used morse code in all that time,
never had to. Used many more modes and modulations than are
allowed to amateurs. That's not enough!

Your "exploration" has been as a paid employee, never being
allowed to use the "radio" as AMATEURS use thiers.

That you never used Morse Code is not germane. Millions of other
radio users never use it either. So what?

Hang in there, Scott. Pander to the would-be "authority wanna-bes"
if you have to...but GO YOUR OWN WAY. Be your own man, not
a puppet of those who dictate what you can do, what you shall
enjoy, what you must do to please them.

Independent thought is GOOD!

Independent thought IS good, as long as it is LENNIE'S
independent thought. The "regulars" of this forum are, for the most
part, life long Amateur Radio operators with the experience in AMATEUR
RADIO to know of which they speak.

Leonard H. Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person

Leonard H. Anderson, retired from regular hours engineer, is a
known pathological liar and newsgroup antagonist.

That he felt compelled to post this "defense" of HIS "career" in
this forum without having actually been a part of the thread is only
further evidence of his own self-appreciating, "me first" personality
and his total arrogance towards the very CONCEPT of Amateur Radio and
those who praticipate in it.

Steve, K4YZ
Old January 19th 04, 11:24 PM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article , "Scott"
writes:

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Only in THIS venue, Scott.

In THIS venue, all the pro-code newsgroupies require all to think,
act, do, behave, and moralize as they do.

Radio and electronics is still fascinating
to me and I've explored a lot of it in the course of a half century.
Been in lots more of the EM spectrum than nearly all of these
rigid pure moralists in here. Never used morse code in all that time,
never had to. Used many more modes and modulations than are
allowed to amateurs. That's not enough!

Your "exploration" has been as a paid employee, never being
allowed to use the "radio" as AMATEURS use thiers.

That's the way it is done in professional work. :-)

However, for casual "ragchews," I've used CB...perfectly legal to
do so without any morse knowledge or needing a ham license.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...Stebe, with all the wealth of "engineering
experience" as a paid employee (purchasing agent, less than
half a year total) thinks that "exploration" at work (usuall
known as R&D or Research and Development) is not really any
"exploration." That may be because all of his vaunted amateur
experience has used modes and modulations and equpment
already done? :-)

That you never used Morse Code is not germane. Millions of other
radio users never use it either. So what?

Test element 1 is still present in the U.S. amateur radio license
examination regulations. That requires demonstration of morse code
proficiency.

Hang in there, Scott. Pander to the would-be "authority wanna-bes"
if you have to...but GO YOUR OWN WAY. Be your own man, not
a puppet of those who dictate what you can do, what you shall
enjoy, what you must do to please them.

Independent thought is GOOD!

Independent thought IS good, as long as it is LENNIE'S
independent thought.

Incorrect. When I said "independent," I meant it in the complete
sense, not some inappropriate, semantically-incorrect, emotionally-
loaded form by Stebe the wonder marine.

The "regulars" of this forum are, for the most
part, life long Amateur Radio operators with the experience in AMATEUR
RADIO to know of which they speak.

Yes, all must do as those olde-tymers say. They ARE the "amateur
community" and run it, morals and all. :-)

All of them got into amateur radio so long ago that only anthropologists
can find the applicable radio regulations of their day. :-)

Leonard H. Anderson, retired from regular hours engineer, is a
known pathological liar and newsgroup antagonist.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...Stebe froths at the mouth and does the personal-
insult bit again. :-)

His rage and anger might qualify as one of the wonders of the world!

Perhaps in Stebe's never-never fantasyland, his "medicine" defines
"pathology" as the study of a "disease" and that anyone who does
not think as Dr. Killgore thinks is thus suffering a disease? Must be.

Here in the present reality, there are differing OPINIONS, not "lies."

I don't have to lie about anything in my electronics-radio career. It's
all open and referencible (except for things covered by industrial
trade secrets and non-disclosure agreements). I actually worked IN
HF communications beginning nearly 51 years ago...and have been
in communications with another member of my Battalion who does
have a current amateur radio license. What was done in HF comm
a half century ago is still being done today.

That he felt compelled to post this "defense" of HIS "career" in
this forum without having actually been a part of the thread is only
further evidence of his own self-appreciating, "me first" personality
and his total arrogance towards the very CONCEPT of Amateur Radio and
those who praticipate in it.

Poor baby. Tripped on his own drool and fell down...pounding on the
floor with his fists, unable to get up.

All that rage and anger and hate just from wanting to eliminate the
morse code test requirement?

Strange to associate "concept of amateur radio" as being all about
morse code testing.

Stebe's alternate reality must be a strange one indeed. Let's not go
there.

LHA / WMD
Old January 19th 04, 11:24 PM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(Stebe, suffering yet another Powerful Marine Syndrome attack) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article , "Scott"
writes:

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Only in THIS venue, Scott.

In THIS venue, all the pro-code newsgroupies require all to think,
act, do, behave, and moralize as they do.

I'm coming up on my 51st anniversary of putting a 1 KW transmitter
on the air trans-Pacific.

It wasn't YOUR station, Lennie...It was a facility of the United
States Army.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...still sore and pished because I had the opportunity
while in my military service yet you did not?

ADA was operating in liason to the Far East Command Hq that
served all U.S. forces in the Far East of the time. Established in
1946 as the 71st Signal Service Battalion, my Army unit operated
(and was entirely responsible for) the primary communications of
the FEC. Yes, it was an ARMY station...the USMC was too small
to handle the task.

However, when the new Income Tax laws were passed to apply to
military service members, I became about as direct a taxpayer as
possible to "own" a part of that station. :-)

[Stebe is guaranteed to pick up on that paragraph and reply to it
with as much vitriol and spite that his few neurons can conjure up]

They could have just as easily made you a diesel
mechanic...Perhaps then you would have been harrassing the
professional truck drivers.

No, the Army could NOT "do that as easily." I was sent to the
Fort Monmouth Signal School for several months of microwave
radio relay training after Basic. Diesel mechanics were trained
in several other school locations.

ADA did have several "diesel mechanics" for the emergency
electrical power generation (old site) and continuous electrical
power generation (new site at Kashiwa). Normal for 24/7
operation.

Several of the ADA transmitter team were licensed to drive Army
vehicles, myself included...Jeep, 3/4 ton truck, 2 1/2 ton truck.
No problem since all those already were licensed to drive in the
various states and only required familiarization courses on the
military vehicles. The Battalion did emply "professional vehicle
drivers," all Japanese nationals, but none to my knowledge every
"harrassed them."

Army manuals and a Senior NCO told you what to do and how to do
it. They gave you an FM or TM (or the equivelent of the period) and
said "do this".

"FM" is still the common term for Field Manual which covers large
subjects. "TM" is still the common term for Technical Manual which
goes into specific detail on equipment.

ADA had only one complete copy of the TM on the (standard
pre-WW2 design) BC-339 and some reproduced schematics. That
was the basic "1 KW" transmitter in RTTY service. The 339 was a
sturdy machine and simple to operate, easy to maintain, even if
built on "battleship style" (heavy, about 7 feet tall) with many
designed-in safety features. Neither the BC-339 nor the BC-340
(10 KW amplifier and power supply for 339) nor the Press Wireless
PW-15 (15 KW RTTY) nor the Western Electric LD-T2 (4 KW PEP
SSB, commercial) were taught in Army Signal Schools. All of us
at ADA learned "on the job" since none of the equipment was taught
in any signal schools, any branch.

Yes, "senior NCOs taught us" and said "do this." This is normal in
a work environment were supervisors also teach and say "do that."
Somehow you find that deplorable?

Biggie wow. We are soooooooooo impressed that YOU were able to
follow instructions "putting a 1KW transmitter on the air
trans-Pacific".

Considering that none of us newbies at ADA had operated an HF
transmitter at 1 KW, there was only the on-the-job-training to do
and follow instructions. Took my particular newbie group about an
hour of M/Sgt Ouye's time in February, 1953, including questions
and answers, and review of procedures for the station.

The BC-339 was about as "complicated" as any amateur radio
transmitter got in 1953 (it have been designed before 1940) and
included an antenna tuner. Not a biggie, true, but none of us
needed any "license" to operate it nor did we have to know morse
code. :-) It is a personal biggie when it hasn't been done before.
Keeping everything operating 24/7, knowing procedures for QSYs
and confirming frequencies, upping and downing circuits,
confirming the TTY signal quality, setting the FSK exciters,
doing maintenance on equipment, keeping the radio relay (VHF,
UHF) equpment running, keeping the wireline/radio "carrier"
equipment running was all part of the job...learned on-site since
we could not "go to school" on it nor read about it in QST for an
"education." :-)

I learned all that was required (and more) on-the-job and later
became an "NCO" who said "do this (or that)." :-)

That was all before Stebe was born. It must make him very angry
and furious that anyone actually did those things before his life
experience began.

I've omitted any previous mention of Stebe's fury and indignance that
I should ever honor the men of my Battalion. He demanded that I
stop, saying it was all for personal glory in this newsgroup. Tsk, tsk.

I still honor the men and women of my Battalion, knowing the history
from first unit formation to changes through today. I am proud of
what I did, of my fellow signalmen for "getting the messages
through." We did it. It's on record, including two Presidential Unit
Citations. Callsign ADA still exists, now that of U.S. Army Pacific
Headquarters at Fort Shafter, Hawaii.

LHA / WMD

Old January 19th 04, 11:24 PM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(Stebe Robeson, still in the throes of PMS (Powerful Marine Syndrome) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article , "Scott"
writes:

A heart felt thank you to all that replied.

I guess my opinion that "Amateur Radio Service is not an essential element
in our society" was incorrect. I appreciate all that took the time to show
me where I was wrong. I stand corrected.

Only in THIS venue, Scott.

In THIS venue, all the pro-code newsgroupies require all to think,
act, do, behave, and moralize as they do.

And I do not spit on "professionalism" Lennie.

Of course you do. Everyone has seen it in this free, open,
unmoderated forum.

You "knew everything about electronics engineering" after working
less than a year as a purchasing agent in a company making
set-top boxes and modems. :-)

You've consistantly tried to equate college night courses with some
kind of alliterative low-grade "night school."

You've consistantly said I was a mere "bench technician" rather
than a design engineer...yet you've never tried to check with any of
the past employers I've listed nor contacted any of the U.S. radio
amateurs I've listed as references.

That assertion is yet ANOTHER lie from somone whio finds it EASY
to lie. I have nothing but the highest regard for professionals in ANY
field...It's just that I have absolutely ZERO respect for YOU since
you've made such a mockery of the title.

"Mockery?" From the expert Dill Instructor with hardly any work
experience in ANY engineering? :-)

Tsk, tsk, tsk...all you do is vent hatred and bile against another
because that is your nature in here...always insulting the person
who has opinions rather than tackling the subject matter...and,
when there is no possibility of a valid response to the subject, just
more heaping of insults against a person.

As for "going on 84", I will gladly jog around the block a few
times with you or see how well you do carrying a full field pack on
the rescue team. NOW who is involved in another "ploy of pervase
character assassination"...?!?!

Tsk, tsk, tsk...Stebe reacting as if He were the only one mentioned.

:-)

Unless Stebe moved (again?), He does not live in Pennsylvania
nor is he a renowned amateur historian.

Stebe should pack and rescue his "team" in order to carry more
insults and pejorative phrases to the masses to avenge his
wounded psyche.

This is NOT anywhere close to a venue for "discussion of issues"
in amateur radio. It is a place for newsgroupies to gather and try
to turn into some kind of ARRL-south, to stir stock myths and
old ideas into a stew of meaty morse just like what HAD to be
done in the 1920s and 1930s.

Since YOU seem to be the only one who deems it important to
interject arguments about Morse Code into threads that don't even
adress it, I'd say the fixation is yours, Oh Putzy One.

Absolutely. I interject comments about the beloved smartness of
the morse code test at any opportunity.

Contrary to your personal (weird) beliefs, just getting into U.S.
amateur radio on HF allocations requires a morse test. [see subject
title "A Newbies View On Things"]

Some of us desire to change the amateur regulations and eliminate
the morse code test. Being a "member of the amateur community"
through licensing is not required to change federal laws [see the
U.S. Constitution in regard to who may communicate with their
government].

Rigid, inflexible, all march to the same drumbeep.

That's what YOU would have us doing...One license...everyone the
same...no challenge, skill or functionality...Just a corral of lambs,
beying to the Word of Lennie the Professional.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Are lambs kept in "corrals" and do they "bey?" :-)

Tsk, tsk, tsk...once again on the "no challenge, skill or functionality"
by having a single amateur license? That's a mind-boggler but it
does explain Stebe's own claim of "skill and function" represented
solely by an amateur radio class designation.

If "challenge, skill, or functionality (?)" are achieved only by passing
a CLASS test, then all Amateur Extras can "stop learning" on
receiving that class grant. There's NO "challenge or skill" left for
them once that has been done. :-)

All amateur learning STOPS after achieving Extra in Stebe's World.

That explains much of Stebe's output... :-)

LHA / WMD

Do these things exist? Richard Homebrew 8 February 15th 04 04:28 PM
Do these things exist? Richard Homebrew 0 February 13th 04 10:04 PM
A Newbies View On Things Scott General 6 January 18th 04 10:41 PM
France is conquered by of all things, an Italian. Clint Policy 3 October 12th 03 05:21 AM