Old February 7th 04, 10:38 PM
Robert Casey

N2EY wrote:

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Where did society get the mistaken impression that sex is bad, but
violence is OK?

Nuns in Catholic grammar school routinely used violence on the kids,

"Robert Casey, you bold brazen article, how dare you talk like that!"

but would sure be upset about anything vaguely about sex....

In my experience, such things would make them violent. In fact almost
anything could make an IHM nun violent. Bunch of nutcases, actually.

I had anotehr species of nuns in my school. "Sisters of Mercy" IIRC,
but there
was no mercy if you forgot your homework.....

On the first or second day of 1st grade, the nun teacher had to leave our
classroom for a few minutes. Of course some of us were talking and making
noise, as small kids will. When she got back, she freaked out. Made the
kids line up at her desk and punish each one in turn. Must have been 20
minutes
it took to do all 30 something kids.

Also on the first day, it was time for lunch, as the nun announced it. So
I get out my sandwitch and started eating in my desk. Nun freaks.
How would I know that the school had another room for eating lunch?
Have heard that teachers nowadays are taught to anticipate kids not
knowing such things when they start school....

Old February 7th 04, 10:44 PM
Dave Heil

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

And the argument is null anyway. If beating your kid worked, you would
only have to do it once or twice.

You're on a slippery slope, Mike. If TALKING to your child did any
good, you'd only have to do it a couple of time, right? I can hear my
mother's voice now: "How many times to I have to tell you?"

In fact, I was recently enlightened to the fact that (I hope this
doesn't invoke Godwin's law!) Saddam Hussein, Joseph Stalin, and Adolf
Hitler have one thing in common. They recieved regular beatings as children.

So the secret seems to be, beat your children on an irregular basis and
they won't grow up to be tyrants and ogres. It'd be interesting to find
that Jeffrey Dahmer was never spanked and that his parents tried to
reason with him.

Dave K8MN
Old February 7th 04, 10:49 PM
Robert Casey

Nuns in Catholic grammar school routinely used violence on the kids, but
would
sure be upset about anything vaguely about sex....

Is that really what we want to teach our children?

I wouldn't want to subject kids to the crap I had to endure in said
school.

When you get right down to it, except for a few shameful and widely
publicized exceptions, todays kids suffer from too little rather than too
much physical punishment.

I disagree! Beating children simply means the beater can't think of
a better way to deal with the kid.

It also teaches the kid at a very primeval level that violence is a
legitimate method of getting what you want from others.

It also delivered a message that people in authority are likely to abuse
their positions
and cannot be trusted. As the teachers often punished kids that didn't
misbehave
as the ones that did. Throw in it being the Vietnam era and .....

Sometimes teachers try to "teach respect" with violence. Well, if "fear and
hatred" = "respect" then it worked.... But I don't think respect does
equal
that.

We also had male nuns, called "brothers". CFX was their callsign, stood
for -something-something-Xavier. One of them was an ex marine drill
seargent,
and thought nothing beating on a kid 20 minutes non-stop. Another was from
the Navy, and also could beat on a kid even longer.

Not suprizing that some kids tried to burn the school down. No
real damage, something like a wastepaper basket on fire. We
always hoped it was the real thing whenever they did a fire drill
(after the fire dept made them not pre-announce that there'd be a
drill today).

Old February 7th 04, 10:56 PM
Robert Casey

I'll bet she doesn't get on Prime-time TV without a tape delay, tho'!

If I ran CBS or ABC or NBC or WB or UPN for that matter, I'd pass
every live rock singer thru a tape delay. Or any other likely loose
cannon.

And I bet CBS has ordered a delay to pass future live performances thru.
That should make the FCC a little happier. So a director in the control
booth can dump something inappropriate before it goes over the air.

Old February 7th 04, 11:09 PM
Mike Coslo

Robert Casey wrote:

I'll bet she doesn't get on Prime-time TV without a tape delay, tho'!

If I ran CBS or ABC or NBC or WB or UPN for that matter, I'd pass
every live rock singer thru a tape delay. Or any other likely loose
cannon.
And I bet CBS has ordered a delay to pass future live performances thru.
That should make the FCC a little happier. So a director in the control
booth can dump something inappropriate before it goes over the air.

I would sugest that they keep a tape of "Heidi" running to interject
over any offending portion that needs bleeped out.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 8th 04, 12:54 AM
Mike Coslo

Dave Heil wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

And the argument is null anyway. If beating your kid worked, you would
only have to do it once or twice.

You're on a slippery slope, Mike. If TALKING to your child did any
good, you'd only have to do it a couple of time, right? I can hear my
mother's voice now: "How many times to I have to tell you?"

Ahh, but talking DOESN'T work! You can't always reason with a child.
You have to deprive them of something that they value for a little
while. Then you give it back to them until the next time they misbehave.
I'm not advocating talk, and I'm not advocating beatings, I'm advocating
something I've found that works.

In fact, I was recently enlightened to the fact that (I hope this
doesn't invoke Godwin's law!) Saddam Hussein, Joseph Stalin, and Adolf
Hitler have one thing in common. They recieved regular beatings as children.

So the secret seems to be, beat your children on an irregular basis and
they won't grow up to be tyrants and ogres. It'd be interesting to find
that Jeffrey Dahmer was never spanked and that his parents tried to
reason with him.

Read:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...er/naked1.html

for an interesting if horrible accounting of Jeffrey Dahmer.

Indeed, he was not raised in an abusive environment. But it is unfair
to attibute anything to a pathological serial killer's upbringing
compared to a normal person. But there is a difference between Dahmer
and the nasties I mentioned above. Many people call them all madmen, but
there is a huge difference between Dahmer and the others.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 8th 04, 12:55 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Robert Casey wrote:

I'll bet she doesn't get on Prime-time TV without a tape delay, tho'!

If I ran CBS or ABC or NBC or WB or UPN for that matter, I'd pass
every live rock singer thru a tape delay. Or any other likely loose
cannon.
And I bet CBS has ordered a delay to pass future live performances thru.
That should make the FCC a little happier. So a director in the control
booth can dump something inappropriate before it goes over the air.

I would sugest that they keep a tape of "Heidi" running to interject
over any offending portion that needs bleeped out.

As long as it's Heidi Klum

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 8th 04, 05:50 AM
Dave Heil

Mike Coslo wrote:

Dave Heil wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

N2EY wrote:

And the argument is null anyway. If beating your kid worked, you would
only have to do it once or twice.

You're on a slippery slope, Mike. If TALKING to your child did any
good, you'd only have to do it a couple of time, right? I can hear my
mother's voice now: "How many times to I have to tell you?"

Ahh, but talking DOESN'T work! You can't always reason with a child.

Take my word, my folks never attempted reason when we were younger. My
sister and I were issued edicts in no uncertain terms. If we argued or
talked back, we could expect some time in a corner or in our rooms or
were grounded.

You have to deprive them of something that they value for a little
while. Then you give it back to them until the next time they misbehave.
I'm not advocating talk, and I'm not advocating beatings, I'm advocating
something I've found that works.

My dad called it "giving us a little more leash". He retracted some
leash when we demonstrated that we couldn't handle the extra freedom.

[...]

I'll check out the link.

Dave K8MN
Old February 8th 04, 06:31 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Leo
writes:

An article in today's Toronto Star, which covers our amusement with
the Janet Jackson issue pretty well! Double standards abound......

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...star/Layout/Ar

ticle_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid =1076022610517

Leo:

I don't even have to bother to read it. I'm guessing it says that all of us
hyper-conservative, redneck UhmurriKans are so backwardly non-progressive
in our morality that we're shocked and outraged by the little act put on
during Super Bowl XXXVIII by Jackson and Timberlake. Yada, yada,
yada.

I'm no prude, but I know obscenity when I see it, and that was obscene --
the whole half-time show, not just the Jackson thing. If it were being
shown after 11 PM or on a cable channel, that would be a different
matter, but this was shown on a major network during Prime Time, and
during a high-profile sporting event with a maxxed-out audience, including
young children. If there was anything that was designed to bring our
culture "...one step closer to extinction," this was it. Fortunately, the
negative reaction, while not understood by our ever-so-liberal neighbors
to the North, had the effect of at least getting Janet Jackson booted from
the Grammys, and forced CBS to change the Grammys from a real-time
"live" broadcast to a delayed broadcast, so that any other such
shennanigans can be edited out. Unfortunately, all the dumbed-down
New-Age pop-culture idiots out there will probably buy Janet's new
CD in record numbers, and that was her intention from the beginning.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old February 8th 04, 01:35 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
Fortunately, the
negative reaction, while not understood by our ever-so-liberal neighbors
to the North, had the effect of at least getting Janet Jackson booted from
the Grammys, and forced CBS to change the Grammys from a real-time
"live" broadcast to a delayed broadcast, so that any other such
shennanigans can be edited out. Unfortunately, all the dumbed-down
New-Age pop-culture idiots out there will probably buy Janet's new
CD in record numbers, and that was her intention from the beginning.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Most of us northerners are also conservatives. Liberals are generally more
noisy than conservatives so get noticed more.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Is Michael Jackson Innocent? Steve Stone Policy 254 December 26th 03 09:26 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM