Old February 10th 04, 10:17 PM
Leo

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:42:13 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

N2EY wrote:

Leo wrote in message . ..
On 9 Feb 2004 15:11:08 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:

Leo wrote in message . ..
snip

Agreed. But it just ain't that big a deal.

Not to you. To other people it *is* a big deal. Not just the incident
itself,
but the incident as a symbol of how goofy the whole system is.

Goofy is right.

Just found this article on Fox News this morning, regarding a class
action suit that has been filed in Tennessee over the Janet Jackson
'exposure':

The lawsuit claims that:

"As a direct and proximate result of the broadcast of the acts,
[Carlin] and millions of others saw the acts and were caused to suffer
outrage, anger, embarrassment and serious injury."

That lawsuit has already been dropped. Basically someone getting their
15 minutes of fame.

It is absolutely surreal that the plaintiff's name is Carlin.

Serious injury? Millions injured? From a TV picture of a breast? (that
ain't no ordinary breast, it's a WMD...) One can only speculate on
the nature of that one - the suit doesn't specify what kind of injury
was caused.

Whiplash?

Hmmm - still think the Star article missed the target?

Yes.

Nope, no irrational reaction there, eh? 8^0

There certainly was - in the Star article...

...and the Carline lawsuit was alreay dropped today.

.....which is disappointing - I was hoping to find out what the
'serious injuries' claimed in the suit were.

But I think "Kid Rock" was far worse.

Don't leave out the crotch grabbing and inappropriate "lyrics" from
P.Diddy and Nelly.

Agreed - somehow, this garbage tends to pass as part of the
'performers art' these days....those lyrics glorify gangsterism and
violent behaviour, that ain't good.

Dave K8MN

73, Leo

Old February 11th 04, 06:47 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Dave Heil" wrote:

Don't leave out the crotch grabbing
and inappropriate "lyrics" from
P.Diddy and Nelly.

I don't have a lot of time to talk, but simply couldn't ignore this
subject. Have you ever heard the phrase, "slinging sh*t?" It's fairly
popular with some teenagers today. Anyway, I was flipping through the
channels the other day and happened upon the "Soul Train" television show.
There was a male singer on stage going through the motions of doing exactly
that. As he was singing, he would wipe his hand up the crack of his butt and
then flick his hand in the direction of the cheering audience.

He did this several times (six or seven, at least). If he had not repeated
it, I wouldn't have believed what I first saw. I have no idea who the singer
was, and only stayed on the channel long enough after that to learn the
program name, but this has to be an example of entertainment reaching a new
low.

Michael Jackson repeatedly grabbing his crotch in front of audiences often
filled with young children was the previous low point, in my opinion
(especially considering the recent allegations and his admission of sleeping
with children).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old February 14th 04, 03:40 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

I would point out that *most* kids, beaten or not, will not grow up to be
serial killers. But the legacy of violence plays out in other ways.

Very true! There have been children that have been abused that turn out
fine, and those with tranquil lives that turn out terrible. What the
discipline or lack of it will do is bring out latent problems.

There's an old saying that goes something like:

"The battle does not always go to the strong
Nor the race to the swift.
But that's the way to bet!"

The really whacked ones will be that way regardless.

Maybe, but they are relatively few. Point it that there are plenty of whackos
who could have been pretty normal if they'd been raised better.

And what reason can there be to intentionally make a child miserable?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 18th 04, 11:59 AM
N2EY

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

One of the male nuns was going to hit my hand with the blackboard
pointer. I was
to hold out my hand, but I pulled it away by instinct to avoid getting
hit. He broke it
on the floor. He just let it go at that, as I think he may have thought
he went a hair
too far with this stuff. Not that he dialed it back much.... No he didn't
make me buy another pointer.

Typical. Parochial school did more to create millions of excatholics....

There may have been this side effect that, after school I split the
joint as fast as I
could.

Me too.

Never saw any molestation (don't know if my particular school
had any of that, but I wasn't at any risk of that).

How could you have not been at risk?

Then there were the yearly school plays. You had two choices: be in it,
or buy a
50 cent ticket to the play. It was a no brainer: I paid the 50 cents
rather than have
to memorize lines and acts and spending more time at the school.

We didn't have those until high school. Some were pretty good, and were done in
cooperation with the girls' high school next door. Good way to meet 'em...

Had several nuns whose idea of "teaching" was to simply have a kid read from
the textbook. At any moment, Sister Mary Elephant would call out another
kid's
name and if the kid didn't pick up on the very next word, he'd get a
beating.
We became quite good at following along and daydreaming at the same time.

That's how history class got done. And memorizing names and dates.
Good for playing
"Jeopardy" but otherwise meaningless. It seemed that kings in Europe
would get bored
sitting around their castles and decide to have wars for fun every so
often. Football not
having been developed yet....

*ALL* subjects were done that way by the nuns I had. No real teaching involved.
We learned on our own.

They did have some good stuff. There was this thing called "SRA".

I remember that! By 5th grade they'd run out of levels for me. I'd do 3 or 4
in
the time it took most of the rest of the kids to do one. And since you could
look back and check you answers, it was a cinch.

"What was Mr Honey Bunny's wife's name?" I had a bad memory, but being
able to go back and look made it easy.

Exactly! Even though I had a good memory I wouldn't trust it, I'd just
double-check to be sure.

There were a few kids whose mother tongue was probably not English, and had
difficulty. I though that they were just brain damaged or something, as
I had no
concept that there were other languages than English until I was about
ten. Never
heard anything other than English in real life or on radio or TV...

Didn't you hear Latin at mass? They had all of us learn it from first grade.
Not what the words meant, just to blindly repeat the responses in Latin with no
understanding of what any of it meant.

Another trick was that you never wanted your folks to find out when you got
beaten at school, because they'd give you more of the same at home, and a
lecture about how those blessed nuns had sacrificed their lives to teach you
ungrateful kids, etc. Well, we never asked 'em to.

Didn't have that problem. Actually, my parents might have sued if they
knew, but I didn't know that at the time.

Nobody I knew would have dreamed of suing.

Some nuns may have been teenage girls afraid of sex....

None of the ones I saw were anywhere near teenagers!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Is Michael Jackson Innocent? Steve Stone Policy 254 December 26th 03 09:26 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM