Old February 13th 04, 06:18 PM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message ...

No one commented on my proposal that I made earlier in the week. Perhaps
because it was hidden away in another thread (which I changed), or
perhaps it was stupid beyond belief.

I'll post it again in hopes of some feedback.

A few thoughts first:

There is going to be a change, of that there is no doubt. I still think
it is going to take a longer rather than shorter time. I see no reason
to change my prediction in the pool.

The present system is not "broken" It doesn't need fixed. It is what it
is, and is just one of those things that grew up over the years. When
Morse code was ascendant, there was a need for multiple license classes,
since Morse is one of those skills that takes time to hone, and it made
sense then to have a rank beginner level, and work up from there.

This is the system we have however, and we tinker with it at our own
peril. We do not want to remove privileges, nor do we want to increase
privileges without any testing. The reduction issue seems to have been
proven by the Incentive licensing problem in the 60's, and giving away
free upgrades will only serve to anger people in the other direction.

It is a foolish system that angers people on purpose. You don't anger
those who are your friends, you anger your enemies.

To have a Morse code test for entry into HF is not going to happen, and
to have a Morse code test for Amateur Extra doesn't make sense, given
that the Extra is the highest level license, and Morse code was at one
time required for the lowest level, Novice. There is a big disconnect

there.

I therefore propose a system that is quite like what we have now.
Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. Privileges the same.

The two orphan classes, Tech plus and Advanced, will remain where they
are, with privileges staying the same.

After the changeover, the new testing regimen will be:

Technician: heavy on RF safety, Light on electronics theory. Some
questions related to the VHF and UHF where the tech's will largely
operate The technician is considered a preparatory license, and will
give a good base of how to get on the air without frying yourself in the
process.

General: General test will scale back on the RF safety, and replace it
with more theory. Antenna questions and operating procedures. The never
entertaining band edge questions will get a few more questions.

Extra: more in depth treatment of theory. No band edge or safety
questions, at this point, if you don't know safety, you've already fried
your mind. questions demonstrating knowledge of different modes.

The only controversial part of my proposal is that there would be a 2
year wait between General and Extra. I could be persuaded to drop that
pretty easily!

Bands and sub bands:

At this point, the bands will remain the same. Bandplan adjustments
will be made. Novice sections will remain, and will be considered a
"practice ground" for those who want to learn Morse code. note: this may
actually be a way to kick start Morse code use.

So there you have it. Here is a plan that shouldn't p**s anyone off
that isn't *already* mad about something, and as far as I can see, it's
major disadvantage is that it isn't glamorous or exciting.

Is it the "ideal" plan?* Heck no! But it accomplishes moving past the
Morse code issue with a minimum of disruption, and has the side benefit
that we know it will work.

Comments?

- Mike KB3EIA -

If Morse code testing goes, this is a pretty reasonable approach. However
several people have proposed even simpler plans. Simply drop the element 1
for the requirements for one or more levels and beef up the writtens. Leave
all else alone. Although no one knows what the FCC will do, my opinion is
that it will be one of the simplest proposals that will be adopted rather
than any restructuring.

*My version of the ideal plan in post Morse code era, would be a one
class system, with the requirements being somewhere between General and
Extra as practiced now.

Except that this is likely to slow the growth of ham radio rather than
increase the growth. Although the old incentive licensing scheme was
mishandled and many existing amateurs lost privileges, the growth increased
markedly as potential applicants saw that they could approach the license in
a stepwise fashion. If we were to return to a single license class for the
future, as you indicated the testing ought to be stiffer than the General
and that could deter people from ever becoming involved.

that is certainly possible, Dee. Of course I doubt we'll ever see it
happen!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 14th 04, 12:05 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

No one commented on my proposal that I made earlier in the week. Perhaps
because it was hidden away in another thread (which I changed), or
perhaps it was stupid beyond belief.

I'll post it again in hopes of some feedback.

Did the FCC reject it?

Ahem...this group, unbeknownst to them, doesn't make any regulations!

Only demands.

Especially those about love, honor, and obeying morse code tradition.

Forever.

We now return you to the noise floor of incessant bickering, devoid of
independent thought. Amateur radio status quo must be maintained
at all costs!

LHA / WMD
Old February 14th 04, 01:18 AM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

No one commented on my proposal that I made earlier in the week. Perhaps
because it was hidden away in another thread (which I changed), or
perhaps it was stupid beyond belief.

I'll post it again in hopes of some feedback.

Did the FCC reject it?

Ahem...this group, unbeknownst to them, doesn't make any regulations!

Only demands.

You don't make regulations. You've commented to the FCC. Did you
consider you comments as DEMANDS? You've commented here. Do you
consider your comments as DEMANDS? Did the FCC reject your views? They
certainly haven't been met with wild cheers here.

Especially those about love, honor, and obeying morse code tradition.

Forever.

What has any of that to do with you? You aren't involved. You're a
bystander.

Dave K8MN