Old February 12th 04, 04:02 PM
Mike Coslo

Default KB3EIA proposal

No one commented on my proposal that I made earlier in the week. Perhaps
because it was hidden away in another thread (which I changed), or
perhaps it was stupid beyond belief.

I'll post it again in hopes of some feedback.

A few thoughts first:

There is going to be a change, of that there is no doubt. I still think
it is going to take a longer rather than shorter time. I see no reason
to change my prediction in the pool.

The present system is not "broken" It doesn't need fixed. It is what it
is, and is just one of those things that grew up over the years. When
Morse code was ascendant, there was a need for multiple license classes,
since Morse is one of those skills that takes time to hone, and it made
sense then to have a rank beginner level, and work up from there.

This is the system we have however, and we tinker with it at our own
peril. We do not want to remove privileges, nor do we want to increase
privileges without any testing. The reduction issue seems to have been
proven by the Incentive licensing problem in the 60's, and giving away
free upgrades will only serve to anger people in the other direction.

It is a foolish system that angers people on purpose. You don't anger
those who are your friends, you anger your enemies.

To have a Morse code test for entry into HF is not going to happen, and
to have a Morse code test for Amateur Extra doesn't make sense, given
that the Extra is the highest level license, and Morse code was at one
time required for the lowest level, Novice. There is a big disconnect there.

I therefore propose a system that is quite like what we have now.
Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. Privileges the same.

The two orphan classes, Tech plus and Advanced, will remain where they
are, with privileges staying the same.

After the changeover, the new testing regimen will be:

Technician: heavy on RF safety, Light on electronics theory. Some
questions related to the VHF and UHF where the tech's will largely
operate The technician is considered a preparatory license, and will
give a good base of how to get on the air without frying yourself in the
process.

General: General test will scale back on the RF safety, and replace it
with more theory. Antenna questions and operating procedures. The never
entertaining band edge questions will get a few more questions.

Extra: more in depth treatment of theory. No band edge or safety
questions, at this point, if you don't know safety, you've already fried
your mind. questions demonstrating knowledge of different modes.

The only controversial part of my proposal is that there would be a 2
year wait between General and Extra. I could be persuaded to drop that
pretty easily!

Bands and sub bands:

At this point, the bands will remain the same. Bandplan adjustments
will be made. Novice sections will remain, and will be considered a
"practice ground" for those who want to learn Morse code. note: this may
actually be a way to kick start Morse code use.

So there you have it. Here is a plan that shouldn't p**s anyone off
that isn't *already* mad about something, and as far as I can see, it's
major disadvantage is that it isn't glamorous or exciting.

Is it the "ideal" plan?* Heck no! But it accomplishes moving past the
Morse code issue with a minimum of disruption, and has the side benefit
that we know it will work.

Comments?

- Mike KB3EIA -

*My version of the ideal plan in post Morse code era, would be a one
class system, with the requirements being somewhere between General and
Extra as practiced now.

Old February 12th 04, 07:07 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message ...
[...]

How is this?

1. Remove ALL names of ALL licences.

2. Call everyone licensed a 'Amateur Radio Operator'.

And make any modes, other than SSB phone require a 'indorsement' to operate.

Simple and end of discussion.

The league and the FCC are going to do what ever they want, all we can do
is pay attention and send in your comments when the time comes.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 13th 04, 01:04 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

The present system is not "broken" It doesn't need fixed. It is what it

is, and is just one of those things that grew up over the years.

I think it needs a bit of tweaking, but not a fullscale makeover as some seem
to think.

When
Morse code was ascendant, there was a need for multiple license classes,
since Morse is one of those skills that takes time to hone, and it made
sense then to have a rank beginner level, and work up from there.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Morse code was ascendant" - can you explain a
bit more?

I would say that *any* knowledge or skill requires time to develop, whether
it's theory knowledge,
practical radio knowhow or Morse skills. Thus, there will still be a need for
several license classes.
I think there should be more levels than three, but FCC's action in 1999 makes
it clear that's
probably a lost cause. So three classes it is:

One that's easy to get so that people can get started without having to learn
everything in one go
One that gives full privileges and requires some serious knowledge
One intermediate step so that it's not a huge jump.

This is the system we have however, and we tinker with it at our own
peril. We do not want to remove privileges, nor do we want to increase
privileges without any testing. The reduction issue seems to have been
proven by the Incentive licensing problem in the 60's, and giving away
free upgrades will only serve to anger people in the other direction.

I agree 100%! Indeed, there is still criticism of the IL plan 36 years after it
was put
in place, and in many places from people who did not become hams until long
after
it was in effect!

It is a foolish system that angers people on purpose. You don't anger
those who are your friends, you anger your enemies.

Better yet, you render your enemies ineffective. But most of all you don't
anger your
friends unnecessarily.

To have a Morse code test for entry into HF is not going to happen, and

to have a Morse code test for Amateur Extra doesn't make sense, given
that the Extra is the highest level license, and Morse code was at one
time required for the lowest level, Novice. There is a big disconnect there.

I disagree!

Given the popularity of Morse code in amateur radio, it makes no sense to not
have it be
a part of the testing for a license. Imagine if there were no questions on SSB
in the tests -
would that make sense?

The Morse Code test has been portrayed as the boogieman, as if it is the source
of all
of amateur radio's problems. Yet there is no proof of these claims.

I therefore propose a system that is quite like what we have now.
Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. Privileges the same.

This means all Techs have VHF/UHF only?

The two orphan classes, Tech plus and Advanced, will remain where they
are, with privileges staying the same.

What about Novice?

After the changeover, the new testing regimen will be:

Technician: heavy on RF safety, Light on electronics theory. Some
questions related to the VHF and UHF where the tech's will largely
operate The technician is considered a preparatory license, and will
give a good base of how to get on the air without frying yourself in the
process.

Perhaps, but what that does is to funnel newcomers into VHF/UHF rather than HF.
And
since VHF/UHF gear tends to be harder to homebrew and more complex than HF
equipment,
it tends to funnel newcomers to manufactured equipment. Also, since there is
relatively little
use of Morse Code for casual operating on VHF/UHF, it tends to funnel newcomers
to FM
voice operation.

General: General test will scale back on the RF safety, and replace it
with more theory. Antenna questions and operating procedures. The never
entertaining band edge questions will get a few more questions.

Needs to have some serious HF centric stuff, though.

Extra: more in depth treatment of theory. No band edge or safety
questions, at this point, if you don't know safety, you've already fried
your mind. questions demonstrating knowledge of different modes.

The only controversial part of my proposal is that there would be a 2
year wait between General and Extra. I could be persuaded to drop that
pretty easily!

I'd say the experience requirements should be included.

Bands and sub bands:

At this point, the bands will remain the same. Bandplan adjustments
will be made. Novice sections will remain, and will be considered a
"practice ground" for those who want to learn Morse code. note: this may
actually be a way to kick start Morse code use.

I don't see the need for that. Better to open up some of the lower part of the
bands for newcomers to use Morse.

The natural tendency is for Morse to be at the bottom of the band, data in the
middle, and 'phone at the top. Rather than fight that trend, the newcomer
segments should reinforce it.

The Novice subbands were originally put in the middle of their bands in a
misguided effort to keep them from straying outside the band edges. Since
Novices were originally required to use crystal control, this made little sense
even in 1951.

So there you have it. Here is a plan that shouldn't p**s anyone off
that isn't *already* mad about something, and as far as I can see, it's
major disadvantage is that it isn't glamorous or exciting.

Is it the "ideal" plan?* Heck no! But it accomplishes moving past the
Morse code issue with a minimum of disruption, and has the side benefit
that we know it will work.

Comments?

I agree that massive changes and giveaways are a bad idea.

However, I think that one of the problems today is that the entry-level license
is too VHF/UHF/voice/applicane operator-centric.
The entry level license should offer a wide selection of bands and modes,
rather than what we have now where newcomers get all of VHF/UHF but no HF.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 13th 04, 02:47 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

[...]

Mike:

Sounds like the wishful thinking of a typical no-code whiner who is too
stinking lazy to learn a useful communications skill like the Morse code.
Nothing new here. Yawn!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old February 13th 04, 03:11 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message ...
[...]

If Morse code testing goes, this is a pretty reasonable approach. However
several people have proposed even simpler plans. Simply drop the element 1
for the requirements for one or more levels and beef up the writtens. Leave
all else alone. Although no one knows what the FCC will do, my opinion is
that it will be one of the simplest proposals that will be adopted rather
than any restructuring.

*My version of the ideal plan in post Morse code era, would be a one
class system, with the requirements being somewhere between General and
Extra as practiced now.

Except that this is likely to slow the growth of ham radio rather than
increase the growth. Although the old incentive licensing scheme was
mishandled and many existing amateurs lost privileges, the growth increased
markedly as potential applicants saw that they could approach the license in
a stepwise fashion. If we were to return to a single license class for the
future, as you indicated the testing ought to be stiffer than the General
and that could deter people from ever becoming involved.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 13th 04, 03:18 AM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message

However, I think that one of the problems today is that the entry-level

license
is too VHF/UHF/voice/applicane operator-centric.
The entry level license should offer a wide selection of bands and modes,
rather than what we have now where newcomers get all of VHF/UHF but no HF.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Newcomers with any gumption can have some HF if they choose to pass the
code. Tech study guide and test does include some very basic questions on
HF propagation, procedures, rules, etc. Unfortunately too many instructors
ignore the HF side of things and don't bother to give much encouragement to
go after the code so then the students end up on VHF/UHF only. My
instructor, many moons ago, really emphasized going for the "complete" Tech
license (Novice written + Tech written + code). I'm glad he did.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 13th 04, 03:54 AM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message ...

[...]

I'm a little confused, Dee. What you just said is pretty much a
condensed version of what I was saying!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 13th 04, 04:03 AM
Mike Coslo

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm not a no-code whiner, Larry. And I've learned Morse.

As I posted befo

Here is a plan that shouldn't p**s anyone off
that isn't *already* mad about something, and as far as I can see,
it's major disadvantage is that it isn't glamorous or exciting.

And you appear to be one of those people that are already pretty angry.
How's that working out for you?

If I had my way, I would not end code testing at all. But it's almost
certain to happen. I'll be happy if it doesn't, but life will go on.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 13th 04, 01:01 PM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message

However, I think that one of the problems today is that the entry-level

license
is too VHF/UHF/voice/applicane operator-centric.
The entry level license should offer a wide selection of bands and modes,
rather than what we have now where newcomers get all of VHF/UHF but no HF.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Newcomers with any gumption can have some HF if they choose to pass the
code.

Well, I dunno if I'd call it "gumption". But yes, there's nothing that
*prevents*
a raw newcomer from getting an HF ham license "right out of the box".

Tech study guide and test does include some very basic questions on
HF propagation, procedures, rules, etc. Unfortunately too many instructors
ignore the HF side of things and don't bother to give much encouragement to
go after the code so then the students end up on VHF/UHF only. My
instructor, many moons ago, really emphasized going for the "complete" Tech
license (Novice written + Tech written + code). I'm glad he did.

Me too!

But even though it *can* be done, the license structure works against it. This
isn't a new thing - way back in the bad old days, one would sometimes hear of a
new ham going straight to General rather than mucking around with Novice. But
those
folks were very rare.

If you look at the "new licenses" listings at

http://www.ah0a.org

you'll see that each month a few new hams each month bypass Tech and go for
General or even Extra "right out of the box". But they are only a few, compared
to the thousands who start with Tech.

As you noted in another post, a multistep license is needed because most people
find a stepwise approach more doable and less intimidating than a one-shot
comprehensive exam. So most folks will take the upgrades in steps. The current
system actually pushes newcomers *away* from Morse and HF use by putting those
things father away.

The new ham who goes for Tech-with-HF finds that s/he has a mountain of VHF/UHF
privileges but only a tiny bit of HF. And while there are some HF questions in
the Tech pool, the focus is primarily on VHF/UHF - which it has to be, in order
to match the privileges.

IOW, to be blunt, the current license structure tends to make HF and Morse look
harder than they are, and to nudge newbies into getting on the local repeaters
rather than HF Morse. (Which *appears* easier to most newcomer - buying an HT
and taking it "out of the box* or learning Morse, putting up an antenna,
assembling an HF station with all the needed stuff and getting on 80/40 CW?)

73 de Jim, N2EY