Old March 17th 04, 12:24 AM
Bill Sohl

Default NCVEC files license resstructuring proposal

The NCVEC has filed a petition on restructuring US
licensing. You can obtain a PDF or RTF copy
via one of the following:

http://www.arnewsline.org/newspages/...20Petition.pdf

or

http://www.arnewsline.org/newspages/...20Petition.rtf

Old March 17th 04, 12:46 AM
Bill Sohl

Official NCVEC Press Release:

VECs PROPOSE NEW ENTRY LEVEL COMMUNICATOR HAM LICENSE

The National Conference of VECs filed a Petition for Rulemaking on
March 1, 2004 proposing their version of a new entry-level Amateur Service
license and redistribution of some HF frequencies to General and Amateur
Extra Class licensees.

The petition, which is somewhat similar to the one filed by the
American Radio League, requires no required demonstrated Morse code
proficiency for any license class ...including Extra.

The NCVEC proposed the same HF/VHF/UHF bands for the entry level
class as the ARRL and both petitions grant more privileges to all classes.
The VEC's proposal, however, allows wider voice subbands and less exclusive
CW/digital frequencies. The NCVEC petition also places more emphasis on the
use of 15 and 10 meters for entry-level voice operation than does the ARRL.

The VECs proposed an additional 50 kHz of 80-meter voice spectrum
over the ARRL proposal and 25 kHz more 40 meter voice spectrum for both the
General and Extra Class. At 15 Meters, the General Class would get an
additional 75 kHz of voice spectrum over ARRL proposal; Extra Class, an
additional 50 kHz.

The frequency privileges proposed for the new entry level class
which the VECs want called the "Communicator" Class a

80 Meters:
3950-4000 kHz (voice/image), 3550-3675 kHz (digital/CW).

40 Meters:
7250-7300 kHz (voice/image), 7050-7150 kHz (Digital/CW).

15 Meters:
21350-21450 kHz voice/image), 21050-21150 kHz (Digital/CW).

10 meters:
28.300-28.500 and 29000-29700 kHz (voice/image), 28050-28150 kHz
(CW/Digital).

All bands 6 Meters through 70 cm:
Full Amateur privileges.

The NCVEC envisions that all Novice Class operators would
automatically become Communicator Class licensees as of the effective date.
At the same time, Technician and Tech Plus amateurs would be upgraded to the
General Class ...Advanced Class licensees would become Extra Class. The
VECs believed that there was no other effective way to redistribute
Novice/Tech Plus spectrum to the General and Extra Class without this
automatic upgrade feature.

This means that some 350,000 Tech/Tech Plus and 85,000 Advanced
Class would not be testing for an upgrade to the next class. This amounts
to about 60 percent or all current licensees and those in the two year grace
period. On the other hand, the VECs anticipate a greatly expanded demand
for entry-level ("Communicator") testing and license preparation material.
Some 40,000 Novices would be automatically upgraded to the new entry level
which would not only contain their existing frequency bands, but additional
HF/VHF/UHF bands as well.

The NCVEC proposes that existing Novice, Technician, Tech Plus and
Advanced Class operators be issued a new Communicator, General or Extra
Class license document upon their next renewal. The new privileges will
"kick in," of course, as of the effective date. The Novice, Technician,
Tech Plus and Advanced Class licenses will be permanently retired.

The VECs suggested that Communicator Class call signs might come
from the authorized but unallocated NA1AAA through NZ0ZZZ call sign block.

Proposed entry level transmitter power is proposed to be 100 watts
when the operation takes place below 24 MHz; 50 watts above. This is the
same as the ARRL proposal. In addition, the NCVEC proposed mandatory low
voltage to the final transmitter amplifier stage and that only commercially
manufactured transmitters be used by Communicator Class licensees.
Communicator Class licensees may not install repeater or remote base
stations, be a volunteer examiner or establish a club station.

Communicator Class licensees must pass a simple 20 question
multiple-choice written exam and will be required to obtain, read and
certify their understanding of the Part 97 rules. The VECs Question Pool
Committee feels that it is impossible to cover the FCC rules in what would
be a relatively few questions. The ARRL proposed 25 examination questions.

This petition was reviewed prior to submission by all 14 of the
VEC's around the country, and was approved by a 2 to 1 margin. While some
areas of disagreement were to be expected, the fact that such an
overwhelming majority of the VEC's approved the NCVEC petition speaks well
for it's being representative of the true feelings and opinions of those
most in tune with the examination process and the needs of the Amateur Radio
community.

This is further supported by the fact that the NCVEC and ARRL
petitions are similar in basic concept, and in fact agree on most issues.
Taken together, these two filings appear to be speaking in a unified voice
as to the needs of the future of Amateur Radio in the United States"

The FCC acknowledged receipt of the Petition for Rulemaking on March
4, 2004. It is not known when it will be distributed for initial Public
Comment. The ARRL Petition has not been assigned an RM (rulemaking) file
number yet either.

---End of press release---

Old March 17th 04, 02:15 AM
N2EY

(quoting the NCVEC proposal)

In addition, the NCVEC proposed mandatory low
voltage to the final transmitter amplifier stage

What about the 110 AC line?

and that only commercially
manufactured transmitters be used by Communicator Class licensees.

Might as well call it "Appliance Class" and be done with it.

Communicator Class licensees must pass a simple 20 question
multiple-choice written exam and will be required to obtain, read and
certify their understanding of the Part 97 rules.

This is the worst part. We must fight this like the plague. What it *really"
means is that there will be *no* rules and regs questions on the 20 question
test!

It is precisely this sort of thing that messed up cb.

The VECs Question Pool
Committee feels that it is impossible to cover the FCC rules in what would
be a relatively few questions. The ARRL proposed 25 examination questions.

The old Novice I took was 20 questions, and we could homebrew. Which I did from
Day One. If a 13 year old kid with books for Elmers could safely build
transmitters in the hollowstate era, why all these additional limits today?

This petition was reviewed prior to submission by all 14 of the
VEC's around the country, and was approved by a 2 to 1 margin.

Which means a third of them disapproved. Were the individual VEs polled?

This NCVEC thing is very similar to the "Amateur Radio in the 21st Century"
paper by KL7CC. I wrote a detailed commentary on it some time back.

NCVEC's proposal makes the ARRL one look good. Which isn't saying much...

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old March 17th 04, 03:47 AM
Len Over 21

In article . net, "Bill Sohl"
writes:

This is further supported by the fact that the NCVEC and ARRL
petitions are similar in basic concept, and in fact agree on most issues.
Taken together, these two filings appear to be speaking in a unified voice
as to the needs of the future of Amateur Radio in the United States"

The FCC acknowledged receipt of the Petition for Rulemaking on March
4, 2004. It is not known when it will be distributed for initial Public
Comment. The ARRL Petition has not been assigned an RM (rulemaking) file
number yet either.

---End of press release---

Good on the NECVEC! I got my copy and will look it over caarefully.

LHA / WMD
Old March 17th 04, 04:13 AM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:

[...]

We already know what I think about that, so I'll pass on arguing this point

The NCVEC proposes that existing Novice, Technician, Tech Plus and
Advanced Class operators be issued a new Communicator, General or Extra
Class license document upon their next renewal. The new privileges will
"kick in," of course, as of the effective date. The Novice, Technician,
Tech Plus and Advanced Class licenses will be permanently retired.

The VECs suggested that Communicator Class call signs might come
from the authorized but unallocated NA1AAA through NZ0ZZZ call sign block.

Proposed entry level transmitter power is proposed to be 100 watts
when the operation takes place below 24 MHz; 50 watts above. This is the
same as the ARRL proposal.

I still want to see the people (tech's specifically) that have been
harmed by RF.

In addition, the NCVEC proposed mandatory low
voltage to the final transmitter amplifier stage

How odd! Are the newbies going to not be allowed to use antennas like
Magloops?

These people have it SO WRONG! Presumably thay are admitting that there
are safety issues involved, which there are. Then teach the newbies
safety, don't avoid the issue, teach them Safety!!

I find that the pussyfooting around safety, where these proposals to
limit power are made, is verging on criminal negligence.

and that only commercially
manufactured transmitters be used by Communicator Class licensees.

This is illogical! What purpose would forcing an amateur to use a
commercially built product be? mThe main reason I am in Amateur radio at
all is for the homebrewing and restoring of radio equipment.

I propose an addition to the proposal in which Hams of all classes must
drink only Pepsi or Coke, whichever company donates more to the BPL
defense fund.

The communicators should also not be allowed to own a soldering iron or
electronic tools This will keep them out of their commercially built
transcievers, and keep them safe from booboo's that they might get from
foolishly messing with electronics, where they might get shocked or
something

Communicator Class licensees may not install repeater or remote base
stations, be a volunteer examiner or establish a club station.

That is pretty much like it is now, I think it makes sense

Communicator Class licensees must pass a simple 20 question
multiple-choice written exam and will be required to obtain, read and
certify their understanding of the Part 97 rules. The VECs Question Pool
Committee feels that it is impossible to cover the FCC rules in what would
be a relatively few questions. The ARRL proposed 25 examination questions.

Cannot a person of even limited intelligence take a test of more than
25 questions? I took bigger tests in grade school.

What this is doing is alarmingly like the citizens band radio I bought
in I think the late 70's or early 80's. At this point, the F.C.C. was
still lamely trying to have some kind of callsign and "rules". I "had"
to read a little pamphlet, and assign myself a callsign by some strange
method that I forget at the moment. Even had places for me to sign.

If a person can certifiy that they have read and understand part 97,
there is no reason at all that they shouldn't just say they read a book
about the whole process and sign for that.

This petition was reviewed prior to submission by all 14 of the
VEC's around the country, and was approved by a 2 to 1 margin. While some
areas of disagreement were to be expected, the fact that such an
overwhelming majority of the VEC's approved the NCVEC petition speaks well
for it's being representative of the true feelings and opinions of those
most in tune with the examination process and the needs of the Amateur Radio
community.

50 million flies can't be wrong..........

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 17th 04, 05:22 AM
Hambone the Magnificent

"N2EY" wrote in message
(quoting the NCVEC proposal)

In addition, the NCVEC proposed mandatory low
voltage to the final transmitter amplifier stage

What about the 110 AC line?

Good glub OM, where did you get your technical facts?
110 VAC was the standard line voltage in 1927!
Today the standard is 125 VAC. Update your notes.

and that only commercially
manufactured transmitters be used by Communicator Class licensees.

Might as well call it "Appliance Class" and be done with it.

Sour grapes. Poo-Poohs. Cry me a river.
Same shi+ different day. Blah Blah Blah.
You old ham farts think everyone should know
code just because YOU had to learn it 40+
Years ago in a smoke filled room. OyVey
Bitch-****-and-Moan.....(playing my violin)

Communicator Class licensees must pass a simple 20 question
multiple-choice written exam and will be required to obtain, read and
certify their understanding of the Part 97 rules.

This is the worst part. We must fight this like the plague. What it

*really"
means is that there will be *no* rules and regs questions on the 20

question
test!

How do you know that? You don't even know
what the present day standard Line Voltage is!

The old Novice I took was 20 questions, and we could homebrew. Which I

did from
Day One. If a 13 year old kid with books for Elmers could safely build
transmitters in the hollowstate era, why all these additional limits

today?

That was THEN - this is NOW.

I got my licence in 1969 btw and my first xmitter was
a DX-60B (which I built from a kit) and a Drake 2B.
Would I burden today's hams to do the same? No way.
It's a different era.

As someone said at a Bond Traders Luncheon I was
at 2 Months ago: "Glue-ing feathers to your ass
DOES NOT make you a rooster in the hen house".

NCVEC's proposal makes the ARRL one look good. Which isn't saying much...

I'll give you that one. The ARRL is trying to backpeddle
big time as the hobby is dying on the vine with ever month
of the full-page listings of SK's. They should have been doing
this kind of restructuring 20 Years ago!! It's probably too
late now. EXAMPLE: Plunk a teenager in front of a new Yaesu HF station
and a 2 gHz Pentium w/DSL, DVD, CD burner and a Kazaa
account and *try to guess* which one he'll want to play with.....(grin)

Old March 17th 04, 10:59 AM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

In addition, the NCVEC proposed mandatory low
voltage to the final transmitter amplifier stage

How odd! Are the newbies going to not be allowed to use antennas like
Magloops?

Or dipoles? Or antenna tuners? Or line-powered power supplies?

These people have it SO WRONG! Presumably thay are admitting that there
are safety issues involved, which there are. Then teach the newbies
safety, don't avoid the issue, teach them Safety!!

There's a logical inconsistency in this requirement. The purpose of safety
questions in the written test is not so much to protect an amateur from the
consequences of his/her own ignorance as to protect *others*.

I find that the pussyfooting around safety, where these proposals to
limit power are made, is verging on criminal negligence.

Consider this: In most areas that I know of, a homeowner can work on his/her
electrical wiring without a license or test of any kind. Same for plumbing.
Just can't do it to somebody else's house as a "professional" - meaning for
money.

So a Communicator could legally wire or re-wire his/her entire house, but could
not legally *operate* a TS-520. Or even a solid-state rig with 48 volt
finals....because he/she might hurt themselves!

and that only commercially
manufactured transmitters be used by Communicator Class licensees.

This is illogical! What purpose would forcing an amateur to use a
commercially built product be?

1) To sell more commercially built products (read the "21st Century" paper - it
talks about how we need more hams or the ham equipment manufacturers will close
up shop).

2) To get new hams in the habit of buying, not building

3) To eliminate even more theory from the written test

The main reason I am in Amateur radio at
all is for the homebrewing and restoring of radio equipment.

More to the point: How many hams do we lose each year to electrocution from
their transmitters? How many hams cause serious interference problems with
their home-brew or restored rigs?

I propose an addition to the proposal in which Hams of all classes must

drink only Pepsi or Coke, whichever company donates more to the BPL
defense fund.

The Dr. Pepper contingent will have a fit!

The communicators should also not be allowed to own a soldering iron or

electronic tools This will keep them out of their commercially built
transcievers, and keep them safe from booboo's that they might get from
foolishly messing with electronics, where they might get shocked or
something

But they would legally be allowed to build power supplies for their
commercially built rigs....

Communicator Class licensees must pass a simple 20 question
multiple-choice written exam and will be required to obtain, read and
certify their understanding of the Part 97 rules. The VECs Question Pool
Committee feels that it is impossible to cover the FCC rules in what would
be a relatively few questions. The ARRL proposed 25 examination questions.

Cannot a person of even limited intelligence take a test of more than
25 questions? I took bigger tests in grade school.

Me too. You should see the tests they give second-graders here.

The old Novice test was originally 20 questions, then 25, then 30. Most of the
added questions were concerned with safety and the expanded privileges. Novices
are allowed to homebrew anything they can legally use on the air.

What this is doing is alarmingly like the citizens band radio I bought
in I think the late 70's or early 80's. At this point, the F.C.C. was
still lamely trying to have some kind of callsign and "rules". I "had"
to read a little pamphlet, and assign myself a callsign by some strange
method that I forget at the moment. Even had places for me to sign.

Where do you think NCVEC got the idea about the rules?

If a person can certifiy that they have read and understand part 97,
there is no reason at all that they shouldn't just say they read a book
about the whole process and sign for that.

BINGO!

Check this out:

From the 1976 ARRL License Manual:

NOVICE (1976)

Study Question #31:
Draw a schematic diagram of a circuit having the following components:
(a) battery with internal resistance, (b) resistive load, (c) voltmeter,
(d) ammeter.

Study Question #32:
From the values indicated by the meters in the above circuit, how can
the value of the resistive load be determined? How can the power consumed
by the load be determined?

Study Question #33:
In the above circuit, what must the value of the resistive load be in
order for the maximum power to be delivered from the battery?

Study Question #34:
Draw the schematic diagram of an RF power amplifier circuit having the
following components: (a) triode vacuum tube, (b) pi-network output tank, (c)
high voltage source, (d) plate-current meter, (e) plate-voltage meter, (f)
rf chokes, (g) bypass capacitors, coupling capacitor.

Study Question #35:
What is the proper tune-up procedure for the above circuit?

The actual exam was multiple choice, and would show a schematic of the
amplifier circuit - close, but not exactly like the one shown inthe license
manual - and had 5 of the components labelled "a" thru "e". The question would
be something like, "which is the coupling capacitor?" "which is an rf chokes?"
"what is function of the capacitor labelled ''d' in the circuit above?"

That was for a Novice!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old March 17th 04, 11:44 AM
William

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Bill Sohl wrote:

Proposed entry level transmitter power is proposed to be 100 watts
when the operation takes place below 24 MHz; 50 watts above. This is the
same as the ARRL proposal.

I still want to see the people (tech's specifically) that have been
harmed by RF.

It makes sense in light of the present rf hazard calcs that we have to perform.

But I've not seen anyone claimed to have been harmed by rf.
Old March 17th 04, 02:14 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

In addition, the NCVEC proposed mandatory low
voltage to the final transmitter amplifier stage

How odd! Are the newbies going to not be allowed to use antennas like
Magloops?

Or dipoles? Or antenna tuners? Or line-powered power supplies?

These people have it SO WRONG! Presumably thay are admitting that there
are safety issues involved, which there are. Then teach the newbies
safety, don't avoid the issue, teach them Safety!!

There's a logical inconsistency in this requirement. The purpose of safety
questions in the written test is not so much to protect an amateur from the
consequences of his/her own ignorance as to protect *others*.

Sure. And there is no logical argument that can convince me that safety
shouldn't be practiced from the start. It doesn't have to be safety
officer level, but it has to be there, and it has to be there from the
start.

I find that the pussyfooting around safety, where these proposals to
limit power are made, is verging on criminal negligence.

Consider this: In most areas that I know of, a homeowner can work on his/her
electrical wiring without a license or test of any kind. Same for plumbing.
Just can't do it to somebody else's house as a "professional" - meaning for
money.

So a Communicator could legally wire or re-wire his/her entire house, but could
not legally *operate* a TS-520. Or even a solid-state rig with 48 volt
finals....because he/she might hurt themselves!

That's why they shouldn't be allowed to have electrical tools! ;^)

and that only commercially
manufactured transmitters be used by Communicator Class licensees.

This is illogical! What purpose would forcing an amateur to use a
commercially built product be?

1) To sell more commercially built products (read the "21st Century" paper - it
talks about how we need more hams or the ham equipment manufacturers will close
up shop).

2) To get new hams in the habit of buying, not building

3) To eliminate even more theory from the written test

zzzzzzzzzz...... now *that* sounds like a much fun as a stick in the eye.

The main reason I am in Amateur radio at
all is for the homebrewing and restoring of radio equipment.

More to the point: How many hams do we lose each year to electrocution from
their transmitters? How many hams cause serious interference problems with
their home-brew or restored rigs?

I propose an addition to the proposal in which Hams of all classes must

drink only Pepsi or Coke, whichever company donates more to the BPL
defense fund.

The Dr. Pepper contingent will have a fit!

If they provide enough money, then maybe they will be the one!

The communicators should also not be allowed to own a soldering iron or
electronic tools This will keep them out of their commercially built
transcievers, and keep them safe from booboo's that they might get from
foolishly messing with electronics, where they might get shocked or
something

But they would legally be allowed to build power supplies for their
commercially built rigs....

Right! we'll have to work on that! The goal is no booboo's. We have to
protect the new hams from themselves. So I would amend the proposal to
not allow Communicator's to use ANY voltages over 48 volts.

Maybe they should wear aluminum foil hats too?

Communicator Class licensees must pass a simple 20 question
multiple-choice written exam and will be required to obtain, read and
certify their understanding of the Part 97 rules. The VECs Question Pool
Committee feels that it is impossible to cover the FCC rules in what would
be a relatively few questions. The ARRL proposed 25 examination questions.

Cannot a person of even limited intelligence take a test of more than
25 questions? I took bigger tests in grade school.

Me too. You should see the tests they give second-graders here.

The old Novice test was originally 20 questions, then 25, then 30. Most of the
added questions were concerned with safety and the expanded privileges. Novices
are allowed to homebrew anything they can legally use on the air.

I have always though that having more questions on a test made the test
easier! If you have a twenty question test, you don't have to miss many
to get a failing grade.

What this is doing is alarmingly like the citizens band radio I bought
in I think the late 70's or early 80's. At this point, the F.C.C. was
still lamely trying to have some kind of callsign and "rules". I "had"
to read a little pamphlet, and assign myself a callsign by some strange
method that I forget at the moment. Even had places for me to sign.

Where do you think NCVEC got the idea about the rules?

But didn't learn much else. Maybe they should check the aftermath of
that example.

If a person can certifiy that they have read and understand part 97,
there is no reason at all that they shouldn't just say they read a book
about the whole process and sign for that.

BINGO!

Testing would certainly be easier!

Check this out:

From the 1976 ARRL License Manual:

NOVICE (1976)

Study Question #31:
Draw a schematic diagram of a circuit having the following components:
(a) battery with internal resistance, (b) resistive load, (c) voltmeter,
(d) ammeter.

Study Question #32:
From the values indicated by the meters in the above circuit, how can
[...]

Good questions! And actually not all that hard. Sounds like an
enjoyable test to take.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Dwight Stewart Policy 300 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM
NCVEC NPRM for elimination of horse and buggy morse code requirement. Keith Policy 1 July 31st 03 03:46 AM