Old April 12th 04, 11:42 PM
Len Over 21

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

| Clarification:
|
| I hope that no one considered my post about this book to be
| disparaging in any way. The subject line was chosen to indicate that
| it is a real book, not a parody or photoshop.

I'm disinclined to buy your weak disclaimer, Jim.

My disclaimer is the truth, Hans.

I've used several of the "Dummies" books. I have the one for Microsoft
Office on my desk at work. I haven't seen a bad one yet.

I have also seen many, many things on the internet passed off as "real"
that look real but which are only photoshops.

Just as you intended, most everyone who saw your chosen subject line
opened the message expecting to find something on the order of "you
ain't gonna believe this crap but it's true".

That's not what I intended at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim, sometimes people know exactly what you will say and what you mean
even if you never said what they know you meant to say forever!!

What makes you say that? :-)

Oy!

Hold hands to cheeks when you say that. If it's really
astonishing, say "Oy gevalt!"

Oy Karumba?

No, "oy gevalt!" [you haven't had enough chicken soup yet]

Possible alternative interpretations:

"Look at this folks! A dummies book about ham radio. Who'd have figured

they would write one of those? Supposedly so few people want to become
Hams, how will they sell any of those books?"

If it isn't published by ARRL it can't be any good, can it? :-)

"Some people in here think that Hams are dummies, and look at this
Dummies book that just came out! Sounds almost like a joke, but it's a
real book!"

Could have been worse...a book printed with a title page and every
other page blank. Real thing. Was on the book market a few years
back.

Did it sell well?

Unknown. It was on the book market for over a month and actually
received literary comment in the press! Not on content, primarily on
general chutzpah of the "author" and the publishing company.

There's somewhat the same sort of chutzpah on the part of a
certain New England publishing corporation...

I'm waiting for a similar book with no text content...only morse
code dots and dashes. After all, "morse code is the universal
language." Wouldn't need any translation.

Good luck with your prejudices, Hans and Bill!

Are there codified prejudices now? Standard prejudices?

Makes it easier, I guess.

So, you approve of prejudice?

Oh No! in the context of what I was saying a long time ago when this
was first posted was that Hans and Bill had *their* prejudices in
assuming Jim was posting a disparaging comment in the Subject line.

I don't see any "prejudices" other than in individual preference
for or against the telegraphy TEST for amateur radio licensing.

Hans Brakob is on public record as being a definite fan of radio
telegraphy...and as against the amateur radio telegraphy test
in the future for the purposes of amateur licensing. Bill Sohl is
on public record as having taken an amateur radio telegraphy
test to obtain a license grant and is also a Director of NCI.

The first posting of a "new book" ("Ham Radio For Dummies" as
appearing on pre-print advertisements at Amazon) was done by
someone using a pseudonym in posting. The second posting in
this newsgroup on the same book was done by me. Miccolis
was the THIRD person to post on that new book, using another
subject header.

You cannot deny that the title "Ham Radio For Dummies"
carries some emotional loading to create different impressions
to anyone reading it for the first time.

And remember, If I did approve of prejudice, I wouldn't want it easy.
Remember, I am the whack that likes things to be hard work! 8^)

Irrelevant in the context of the atmosphere of status-quo-ists
in this newsgroup.

By photographic evidence in amateur radio periodicals, U.S.
radio amateurs are invariably White Males. Prejudice?

Mostly white males. I've seen the occasional woman show up in a pix.
Less African American men or women. Spanish heritage is fairly common.

Much much less of "African-American."

There are problems getting *especially* women interested in the
technical fields. On our "Bring your sons and daughters to work day" we
always ask the kids what they want to do for a living. None of the young
ladies have indicated they want to go into engineering yet. A majority
have said they want to be lawyers!

You would do well - on criticism of gender content in engineering - to
look at the periodicals of the IEEE or ACM in regard to women in
engineering. Particularly in high office positions of the IEEE and ACM.

Notable example: Carly Fiorina, CEO of Hewlett-Packard.

I wonder why. I doubt engineers are more sexist or creepier than any
other subset of males.

When in doubt, blame it on Liberals?? 8^)

Why do you single out engineers? I was not discussing engineers.

The topic goes where it will. You were discussing Ham radio, which is a

technical hobby. Engineers run to the technical by by nature.

Electronic engineers and electronic technicians are FORCED to
work in their chosen field by the laws of physics. Human legislation
cannot change natural laws of physics.

Radio amateurs OPERATE according to legislated regulations
and the status-quo-ists in here tend towards those regulations
that were considered "best" in the 1930s, 70 years ago.

Only a minority among licensed radio amateurs can adequately
be considered "technical" about electronics-radio sufficient to
understand it.

And there
seems to be some problem in attracting women to the technical fields.

By all the photos, Hewlett-Packard's Carly is very much female.

A bit of searching and observation will find a surprising percentage
of females in "technical" fields such as electrical and electronic
engineering, information technology, medicine, medicines, physics,
higher mathematics, and even vehicle design and engineering.

There is little evidence that females are "into" automobile repair,
NASCAR pit crews (there are only a few drivers, none in pit
crews), or oil-field drilling. Those are "technical" fields.

Engineers are human. But, engineers are forced to obey the laws
of physics first in order to stay employed as engineers. No physical
laws are changeable by human legislation.

Radio amateurs, by contrast, seem very much inclined to fantasy,
group-think, imagination, and some considerable misogyny as well
as rigid conservatism in standards and practices. Examples of that
have been in here for years.

All of them?

Yes, all the examples. Consult Google archives to review who is who.
"Google is your friend" - or enemy - depending on what you are after.

LHA / WMD
Old April 13th 04, 03:04 PM
Mike Coslo

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

> [...]

The topic goes where it will. You were discussing Ham radio, which is a

technical hobby. Engineers run to the technical by by nature.

Electronic engineers and electronic technicians are FORCED to
work in their chosen field by the laws of physics. Human legislation
cannot change natural laws of physics.

Radio amateurs OPERATE according to legislated regulations
and the status-quo-ists in here tend towards those regulations
that were considered "best" in the 1930s, 70 years ago.

Only a minority among licensed radio amateurs can adequately
be considered "technical" about electronics-radio sufficient to
understand it.

And there
seems to be some problem in attracting women to the technical fields.

By all the photos, Hewlett-Packard's Carly is very much female.

Fiorina holds a bachelor's degree in medieval history and philosophy
from Stanford University; a masters degree in business administration
from the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of
Maryland at College Park, Md.; and a master of science degree from MIT’s
Sloan School. She is technical only if you consider business technical.

You are right, she is unmistakably female. And my new H-P computer is a
fine machine. I think she is doing a pretty good job there.

A bit of searching and observation will find a surprising percentage
of females in "technical" fields such as electrical and electronic
engineering, information technology, medicine, medicines, physics,
higher mathematics, and even vehicle design and engineering.

A quick LexisNexis search shows 9.9 percent of engineers in 2000 were
female. And the numbers of female students pursuing engineering degrees
is dropping a bit. I don't have an overall number for that because the
numbers are broken down by ethnicity. I don't feel quite comfortable
enough with the statistics to compile an overall percentage for the
current students. But I do not find those stats all that high.

There is little evidence that females are "into" automobile repair,
NASCAR pit crews (there are only a few drivers, none in pit
crews), or oil-field drilling. Those are "technical" fields.

Engineers are human. But, engineers are forced to obey the laws
of physics first in order to stay employed as engineers. No physical
laws are changeable by human legislation.

Radio amateurs, by contrast, seem very much inclined to fantasy,
group-think, imagination, and some considerable misogyny as well
as rigid conservatism in standards and practices. Examples of that
have been in here for years.

All of them?

Yes, all the examples.

Do you mean "all the examples that fit your description?

Consult Google archives to review who is who.
"Google is your friend" - or enemy - depending on what you are after.

Google is one search appliance.

- Mike KB3EIA -

21st Century E-Commerce Money Making Formula NeoOne Antenna 0 January 3rd 05 02:12 AM
Making 2.4GHz antenna more directional jason Antenna 5 June 17th 04 12:43 AM
Kit for Making PCB for SMT component Localbuyer Homebrew 12 May 14th 04 11:12 PM
Making inductors Qas Homebrew 12 September 23rd 03 04:12 PM
Making inductors Qas Homebrew 0 September 4th 03 04:50 PM