Old April 7th 04, 05:44 PM
Len Over 21

In article , PAMNO
(N2EY) writes:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1081272720/
sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2958427-3473431?v=glance&s=books

So?

So I came across it and wanted folks to know it wasn't a joke or a photoshop.

There ya go, Rev. Jim!

I know why you don't acknowledge Amazon having pre-publication
advance sale advertisements for the last three weeks...Amazon
"doesn't make any profit!" :-)

Isn't that strange...Amazon still in business after all these years
of "not making any profit!"

I guess there will be a sequel soon..."Dummies For Ham Radio."

LHA / WMD
Old April 7th 04, 10:51 PM
N2EY

Clarification:

I hope that no one considered my post about this book to be
disparaging in any way. The subject line was chosen to indicate that
it is a real book, not a parody or photoshop.

(insert standard "no connection" disclaimer here)

"KØHB" wrote in message hlink.net...
"N2EY" wrote in message
m...
| New book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I've ordered a copy for my 12-YO grandson, Tanner, soon to be a General.

Excellent!

N0AX is a gifted writer, humorist, radiosport contestant,
all-around-good-operator, and good-guy.

I did not recognize his name on the book's cover, but I recognize that
call.

3333333333
3333333333
3333333333
3333333333
3333333333
3333333333
3333333333,

Cute!

Hans, K0HB

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old April 8th 04, 04:42 PM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

| Clarification:
|
| I hope that no one considered my post about this book to be
| disparaging in any way. The subject line was chosen to indicate that
| it is a real book, not a parody or photoshop.

I'm disinclined to buy your weak disclaimer, Jim.

Just as you intended, most everyone who saw your chosen subject line
opened the message expecting to find something on the order of "you
ain't gonna believe this crap but it's true".

Hans

Old April 9th 04, 02:04 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
"N2EY" wrote

| Clarification:
|
| I hope that no one considered my post about this book to be
| disparaging in any way. The subject line was chosen to indicate that
| it is a real book, not a parody or photoshop.

I'm disinclined to buy your weak disclaimer, Jim.

Just as you intended, most everyone who saw your chosen subject line
opened the message expecting to find something on the order of "you
ain't gonna believe this crap but it's true".

Only if Jim's never read a "Dummies" book, *and* is lying. I'm
disinclined to believe either of those assumptions.

Presuposing presupositions seldom works, except maybe for Fox
News...........

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 9th 04, 10:59 AM
N2EY

In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

| Clarification:
|
| I hope that no one considered my post about this book to be
| disparaging in any way. The subject line was chosen to indicate that
| it is a real book, not a parody or photoshop.

I'm disinclined to buy your weak disclaimer, Jim.

My disclaimer is the truth, Hans.

I've used several of the "Dummies" books. I have the one for Microsoft Office
on my desk at work. I haven't seen a bad one yet.

I have also seen many, many things on the internet passed off as "real" that
look real but which are only photoshops.

Just as you intended, most everyone who saw your chosen subject line
opened the message expecting to find something on the order of "you
ain't gonna believe this crap but it's true".

That's not what I intended at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old April 9th 04, 02:31 PM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

| Clarification:
|
| I hope that no one considered my post about this book to be
| disparaging in any way. The subject line was chosen to indicate that
| it is a real book, not a parody or photoshop.

I'm disinclined to buy your weak disclaimer, Jim.

My disclaimer is the truth, Hans.

I've used several of the "Dummies" books. I have the one for Microsoft

Office
on my desk at work. I haven't seen a bad one yet.

I have also seen many, many things on the internet passed off as "real"

that
look real but which are only photoshops.

Just as you intended, most everyone who saw your chosen subject line
opened the message expecting to find something on the order of "you
ain't gonna believe this crap but it's true".

That's not what I intended at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim,

I have to agree with Hans, your original subject
line created a distinct perception in me that you
disapproved of the dummies books and specifically
the dummies for ham radio book.

That was why I posted my own experiences of
reading and recommending dummies books for
internet.

Hey, I'm just another perspective...no harm done.
The RRAP postings have been pretty low volume
of late anyway :-) :-)

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old April 9th 04, 05:00 PM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

| Clarification:
|
| I hope that no one considered my post about this book to be
| disparaging in any way. The subject line was chosen to indicate that
| it is a real book, not a parody or photoshop.

I'm disinclined to buy your weak disclaimer, Jim.

My disclaimer is the truth, Hans.

I've used several of the "Dummies" books. I have the one for Microsoft Office
on my desk at work. I haven't seen a bad one yet.

I have also seen many, many things on the internet passed off as "real" that
look real but which are only photoshops.

Just as you intended, most everyone who saw your chosen subject line
opened the message expecting to find something on the order of "you
ain't gonna believe this crap but it's true".

That's not what I intended at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim, sometimes people know exactly what you will say and what you mean
even if you never said what they know you meant to say forever!!

Oy!

Possible alternative interpretations:

"Look at this folks! A dummies book about ham radio. Who'd have figured
they would write one of those? Supposedly so few people want to become
Hams, how will they sell any of those books?"

"Some people in here think that Hams are dummies, and look at this
Dummies book that just came out! Sounds almost like a joke, but it's a
real book!"

Good luck with your prejudices, Hans and Bill!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 9th 04, 07:30 PM
Robert Casey

N2EY wrote:

New book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

73 de Jim, N2EY

Now if they would write "Calculus for Dummies". And not just how to solve
Calculus 101 final examples, but how to use calculus to solve real world
"word"
problems......

73 de Bob, who enjoyed calculus so much I took it twice :-)

Old April 9th 04, 08:45 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

| Clarification:
|
| I hope that no one considered my post about this book to be
| disparaging in any way. The subject line was chosen to indicate that
| it is a real book, not a parody or photoshop.

I'm disinclined to buy your weak disclaimer, Jim.

My disclaimer is the truth, Hans.

I've used several of the "Dummies" books. I have the one for Microsoft

Office
on my desk at work. I haven't seen a bad one yet.

I have also seen many, many things on the internet passed off as "real" that
look real but which are only photoshops.

Just as you intended, most everyone who saw your chosen subject line
opened the message expecting to find something on the order of "you
ain't gonna believe this crap but it's true".

That's not what I intended at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim, sometimes people know exactly what you will say and what you mean
even if you never said what they know you meant to say forever!!

What makes you say that? :-)

Oy!

Hold hands to cheeks when you say that. If it's really
astonishing, say "Oy gevalt!"

Possible alternative interpretations:

"Look at this folks! A dummies book about ham radio. Who'd have figured

they would write one of those? Supposedly so few people want to become
Hams, how will they sell any of those books?"

If it isn't published by ARRL it can't be any good, can it? :-)

"Some people in here think that Hams are dummies, and look at this
Dummies book that just came out! Sounds almost like a joke, but it's a
real book!"

Could have been worse...a book printed with a title page and every
other page blank. Real thing. Was on the book market a few years
back.

I'm waiting for a similar book with no text content...only morse
code dots and dashes. After all, "morse code is the universal
language." Wouldn't need any translation.

Good luck with your prejudices, Hans and Bill!

Are there codified prejudices now? Standard prejudices?

By photographic evidence in amateur radio periodicals, U.S.
radio amateurs are invariably White Males. Prejudice?

I'm still wondering why so few noticed the pre-print-delivery
advertisements on Amazon back in March. Another ham
saw them and posted in here. I posted in here on that.
Don't recall the same thing in QST. Maybe my eyes are
"prejudiced?" :-)

LHA / WMD
Old April 9th 04, 09:20 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

I guess for someone who didn't have ANY experience in ham radio, it might be
a good start...... One does not become an Extra Class operator overnight. Ya
gotta start somewhere.

Unfortunately the "mentoring" spirit is not like it might have been in the
past. So, the texts the new potential hams will need should have as much
information as possible in order to make them better hams.

Ryan
KC8PMX

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Robert Casey
writes:

N2EY wrote:

New book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1081272720/

sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2958427-3473431?v=glance&s=books

So?

So I came across it and wanted folks to know it wasn't a joke or a

photoshop.

The ARRL had training films that had smiley faces on electrons in
cartoons of radio circuits.

Never saw that one. But if it works, why not?

If this book can get newbies up to speed so that they don't make bonehead
errors on the air, then it's a good thing.

Agreed!

The new ham can fill in
gaps of knowledge
as he goes along later.

Better yet, avoid those gaps from the beginning.

73 de Jim, N2EY

21st Century E-Commerce Money Making Formula NeoOne Antenna 0 January 3rd 05 02:12 AM
Making 2.4GHz antenna more directional jason Antenna 5 June 17th 04 12:43 AM
Kit for Making PCB for SMT component Localbuyer Homebrew 12 May 14th 04 11:12 PM
Making inductors Qas Homebrew 12 September 23rd 03 04:12 PM
Making inductors Qas Homebrew 0 September 4th 03 04:50 PM