Old April 28th 04, 04:43 PM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Default Tribune in MN To Correct Article About Morse

Many of you have written to say that the Morse code we ran on the
Variety cover of April 27 was incorrect. It was not wrong, but it was
not the version many of you know.
What we should have made clear was that there was several versions of
the Morse code. The one we ran was the original Morse code, the one used
by generations of railroad telegraphers, including the retired men who
gathered Saturday to celebrate Samuel Morse's birthday. You may notice
in the article that they refer to confusion among the 5 dots for a
''p'' and 4 dots for an ''h.''
The other version, the International Morse Code, was used by the Navy,
ham radio operators and some Boy Scouts. (Some Scouts used the original
code.) Many people still use it.
We regret the confusion and should have made the difference clear.

Peg Meier, Star Tribune

04/26/04 09:43PM

Dear Ms. Meier,

If Morse Code as a methodology of radio communication is "dead",
then
there are several MILLION licensed Radio Amateurs around the world who
have yet
to get the word!

Perhaps you should listen to the radio frequencies between 7.0 to

7.1MHz, 14.0 to 14.1 MHz, 18.068 to 18.090Mhz, and 21.0 to 21.1MHz on
any good
weekend and listen for yourself. These are not the only frequencies
that Amateurs
use to communicate in Morse Code...Just the most popular ones.

With best regards,

Steven J Robeson, LPN
151 12th Avenue Northwest
Winchester, TN 37398

Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 04:45 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
Some comments on the NCVEC petition D. Stussy Policy 13 August 5th 03 04:23 AM
NCVEC NPRM for elimination of horse and buggy morse code requirement. Keith Policy 1 July 31st 03 03:46 AM
Now That It's "Over"... Steve Robeson, K4CAP Policy 426 July 29th 03 06:49 AM