Old May 18th 04, 11:06 PM
Alun

"garigue" wrote in
news:u%uqc.75539$xw3.4174734@attbi_s04:

Of course, since the code tests are done by volunteers you could argue
that no money will be saved. Firstly, that won't stop them, and
secondly, VEs may be less likely to claim expenses if they don't have
to buy code tapes, so some paltry amount of money may in fact be
saved.

Na Alun don't worry about those expenses for code tapes or programs or
33 RPM records etc. There have been many a VE out there who has taken
his significant other out for a "night on the town" after a VE session.
Why would some guys drive for a hundred miles to "take" a test when
tests are locally offered ???

Dare I say shenanigans ....... ??????

73 Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.

You do realise that the max that can be claimed back is a percentage of the
test fee?
Old May 18th 04, 11:32 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Alun" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in
link.net:

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

You wish. I predict Element 1 will go.

Most people of limited drive and ambition will take that position.
Glad to see I have you placed in the right hole.

Dan/W4NTI

The way the FCC has talked about code lately, I doubt that they'd keep
it for
extra only vs just dumping it entirely. "Reduction of burden on the
VE's giving
the tests" and all that. Keeping it for extra means that VEs have to
keep and
maintain code test tapes.

Gee, ya really think so? And so what? Since when did the gobernmunt
give a hoot out of what the citizens want?

Dan/W4NTI

They don't, but the FCC is heavily into the concept of reducing the
regulatory burden by simplification of rules, a very Reaganesque idea.
Which is simpler, keeping a requirement for some licences only or making

it
go away altogether? Abolishing Element 1 completely fits their philosophy,
and the alternative doesn't.

Of course, since the code tests are done by volunteers you could argue

that
no money will be saved. Firstly, that won't stop them, and secondly, VEs
may be less likely to claim expenses if they don't have to buy code tapes,
so some paltry amount of money may in fact be saved.

Back when I was giving CW tests for the license exams I used a key and a
oscillator. So there is your arguement shot down.

Dan/W4NTI

Old May 19th 04, 12:30 AM
Phil Kane

On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:37:12 GMT, Dan/W4NTI wrote:

After all someone has to be able to talk to those Russians and her ex slave
countries.

What makes you think that real CW ops won't learn/use manual Morse
if the mandatory testing requirement is dropped?

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old May 19th 04, 05:14 AM
Alun

"Alun" wrote in message
[...]

You'll have to do better than that
Old May 19th 04, 05:17 AM
Alun

"Phil Kane" wrote in
et:

On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:37:12 GMT, Dan/W4NTI wrote:

After all someone has to be able to talk to those Russians and her ex
slave countries.

What makes you think that real CW ops won't learn/use manual Morse
if the mandatory testing requirement is dropped?

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

I might even use it if the test is dropped! Some of these guys are
terrified that they will have no-one to work. Not that I would want to work
Dan, who is on record as saying that all phone ops are lids..

Old May 19th 04, 05:39 AM
KØHB

"Alun" wrote

Not that I would want to work
Dan, who is on record as saying
that all phone ops are lids..

You must be mistaken. I just checked my log and I've worked W4NTI
dozens of times over the past few years. Nearly half of the Q's were on
SSB (I think that mode qualifies as "phone".) Certainly Dan wouldn't
work people he considers "lids".

Good luck on this one now!

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

Old May 19th 04, 01:15 PM
Alun

"KØHB" wrote in news:GxBqc.1017$Tn6.35
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"Alun" wrote

Not that I would want to work
Dan, who is on record as saying that all phone ops are lids..

You must be mistaken. I just checked my log and I've worked W4NTI
dozens of times over the past few years. Nearly half of the Q's were on
SSB (I think that mode qualifies as "phone".) Certainly Dan wouldn't
work people he considers "lids".

Good luck on this one now!

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

He said that phone ops are lids in the group. He tried to backtrack on
that, but google preserves his words indefinitely.
Old May 19th 04, 03:25 PM
Mike Coslo

garigue wrote:
Of course, since the code tests are done by volunteers you could argue

that

no money will be saved. Firstly, that won't stop them, and secondly, VEs
may be less likely to claim expenses if they don't have to buy code tapes,
so some paltry amount of money may in fact be saved.

Na Alun don't worry about those expenses for code tapes or programs or 33
RPM records etc. There have been many a VE out there who has taken his
significant other out for a "night on the town" after a VE session. Why
would some guys drive for a hundred miles to "take" a test when tests are
locally offered ???

Zounds, Tom!!! I doubt that the proceeds from most tests would cover
much of a night out on the town, once the VEC gets it's cut. Then you
have the other VE's to split the booty with...... Heck, I doubt you
could eat at Arby's by the end of the malfeasance.

All endeavors have the occasional bad egg, but at every test I ever
attended - there were 4 of them - the VE's seemed as honest as can be,
plus some of them that I personally knew are in no doubt as to their
honesty.

And FWIW, I live in State College PA.

I took my Technician test in Williamsport, over an hour away.

I took my General test in Butler PA, a two hour + drive

I took my Element 1 test in State College PA (flunked it at Butler)

I took my Extra test at Lock Haven, around an hour drive.

Basically the reason that I traveled to the tests was because that was
where a test was taking place when I had the time to take the test.

- Mike KB3EIA

Old May 19th 04, 04:24 PM
William

"KØHB" wrote in message nk.net...
"Alun" wrote

Not that I would want to work
Dan, who is on record as saying
that all phone ops are lids..

You must be mistaken. I just checked my log and I've worked W4NTI
dozens of times over the past few years. Nearly half of the Q's were on
SSB (I think that mode qualifies as "phone".) Certainly Dan wouldn't
work people he considers "lids".

Good luck on this one now!

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

That would make Dan a self-declared lid.
Old May 19th 04, 08:38 PM
N2EY

"garigue" wrote in message news:u%uqc.75539$xw3.4174734@attbi_s04...

There have been many a VE out there who has taken his
significant other out for a "night on the town" after a VE session.

As a reward for putting up with the demands of being a VE. Paperwork,
lots of extra stuff about the house, spending a good part of the
weekend at some hamfest or other giving tests to strangers for not
much more than a couple of donuts......

Why
would some guys drive for a hundred miles to "take" a test when tests are
locally offered ???

Lots of reasons. Most of the VE sessions I know of are part of a
hamfest, so two things get done. Timing of the tests is another - if
someone is a "morning person", taking the test in the evening is
setting oneself up for failure. "Local" tests that are scheduled at
inconvenient times don't do the testee any good.

Dare I say shenanigans ....... ??????

Got any proof? Not aspersions on the character of unnamed persons, but
actual solid proof of wrongdoing? If so, tell Riley - FCC does care
about such things. If not, why besmirch the efforts of thousands of
honest volunteers?

The VEs who do the grunt work of actually giving the tests didn't
invent the system and they don't make the rules. In the 20 year
history of the system, only a tiny handful out of thousands of VEs
have been found guilty of any sort of wrongdoing in connection with
their VE activities. Perhaps an apology to the vast majority of honest
VEs is in order.

Yes, I wish FCC would do all the testing, and that the tests were
secret, etc., etc. But that's just not going to happen any time soon
because it costs $$$.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Using a Pool Cage As an Antenna? W9zr Antenna 1 November 5th 04 04:18 AM
Use a Pool Cage As An Antenna? W9zr Antenna 0 November 4th 04 09:09 PM
The Pool N2EY Policy 515 February 22nd 04 03:14 AM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins General 1 January 23rd 04 05:32 PM
REQ:latest Ham University with curent tech pool willing to share?/sell cheep Equipment 0 November 27th 03 07:15 AM