Old June 9th 04, 03:24 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

Default Old call sign was W10XEG ???

Had an inquiry that sed his Dad's call was W10XEG

Before 1946 -- I think there were just call areas one thru nine.

Sometime around 1946, the 10th call area was established -- the zero
district, but was this ever the W10 area ??

Also the X in the suffix -- I thought was for experimental stations ???

Any old timers recall what this callsign indicated ???? Special event,
shipboard ???

Thanks

Post any answers here please

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

Old June 9th 04, 05:10 PM
KØHB

"Keyboard In The Noise" wrote in message

Had an inquiry that sed his Dad's call was W10XEG

Before 1946 -- I think there were just call areas one thru nine.

Sometime around 1946, the 10th call area was established -- the zero
district, but was this ever the W10 area ??

No, the FCC never routinely issued amateur calls with "10" as the
numeric portion.

However, when ITU held their plenipot meeting here in 1998, we were
assigned the special-event calls N98ITU and W98ITU. Those are the only
examples I know which included two numeric characters in a US amateur
callsign.

Also the X in the suffix -- I thought was for experimental stations

???

Our company holds several experimental (non-amateur) callsigns in the
WB2X-- and KA6X-- formats. These callsigns are assigned from the
KA2XAA-KZ9XZZ and WA2XAA-WZ9XZZ 2x3 blocks which are not assigned to
amateurs. Note that amateurs **can** get calls with an "X" as the
leading character in the suffix any other call format (ie, W9XAA, K2XA,
WA2XA, etc.) or with a "1" or "0" numeric character (ie, KA0XAA,
WB1XAA).

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old June 9th 04, 05:38 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

Thanks Hans -- way back when --- amateurs had the X suffix for expermental
and Y for college and schools

What I have found is as follows:

In the 1920's and the 1930's, Stations in the 48 States had a 1x2 or 1x3
call sign beginning with W and containing a numeral from 1 to 9. Stations in
Alaska, Hawaii, or other US Possessions had a K prefix. See Pre WWII K
calls. The zero numeral was not available. Boundaries were considerably
different than today - for example the western sections of New York and
Pennsylvania were in the 8th call district. See Old District boundaries 4
Note that the suffixes beginning with X was reserved for experimental
stations.

In the 1954 callbook -- there are no listings in any district with the
letter X as the first letter of the suffix.

Eventually, the FCC relaxed their position on the 1x2 and 1x3 X suffix
calls, but the 2x3 call signs (such as KB6XYZ) are still reserved for
experimental use. W#X** calls were also portable calls - a separate
authorization was needed for portable operation and their suffixes began
with X. Apparently there was a very limited "vanity call" program - if a ham
wanted a 1X2 call and met several criteria, such a call would be issued. If
a ham moved to a different call area, he/she had to get a new callsign that
matched the district of the new location. Unlike today, you could always
tell where a ham station was located by the callsign.

At one time in the 1920's and 30's, college club stations were issued W#Yx
calls. So W6YX (1922) is Stanford, W9YB (1920) is Purdue, etc. Many of these
are still extant -- try QRZ.com for your college.

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"
----------------------------
hlink.net...

Old June 9th 04, 05:50 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Keyboard In The Noise" wrote in message
[snip]
Unlike today, you could always
tell where a ham station was located by the callsign.
[snip]

Nonsense. Even if people were still required to change their calls when
moving, in many call areas you cannot tell where someone is located by their
numerical character. An 8 call can be anywhere from the upper peninsula of
Michigan down through West Virginia. Someone with a zero call can be
anywhere from the Minnesota northern border down through Missouri.

For those who say that it helps them point their beam, once again nonsense.
If someone in Illinois hears an 8 call, the range of possibilities for
pointing that beam goes from NNE to SW.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 9th 04, 06:03 PM
KØHB

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

For those who say that it helps them point their beam, once again

nonsense.
If someone in Illinois hears an 8 call, the range of possibilities for
pointing that beam goes from NNE to SW.

I was pretty good in Mrs. Scheiders geography class, but if we include
only normal great circle routes (and exclude long-path propagation and
KH8 stations) I can't find any part of of W8-land which lies on an
azimuth SW from Illinois.

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

Old June 9th 04, 06:20 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

Come on Dee -- if a W8 came on the air back then -- I knew the general
district and certainly knew he/she wasn't in California
was my point. Helpful for chasing WAS

Now a W1 comes on a California repeater and turns out he/she has had
residence in CA for 10 years.

And the DX stations have no idea who is where over here (;-(

Old June 9th 04, 06:38 PM
Dee D. Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

For those who say that it helps them point their beam, once again

nonsense.
If someone in Illinois hears an 8 call, the range of possibilities for
pointing that beam goes from NNE to SW.

I was pretty good in Mrs. Scheiders geography class, but if we include
only normal great circle routes (and exclude long-path propagation and
KH8 stations) I can't find any part of of W8-land which lies on an
azimuth SW from Illinois.

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

Sorry, that should have been NW. I was thinking one thing and typed another
or maybe I just got tired of Ns!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 9th 04, 06:51 PM
Dee D. Flint

Come on Dee -- if a W8 came on the air back then -- I knew the general
district and certainly knew he/she wasn't in California
was my point. Helpful for chasing WAS

Now a W1 comes on a California repeater and turns out he/she has had
residence in CA for 10 years.

And the DX stations have no idea who is where over here (;-(

In this day and age with the majority of hams having internet access, they
can look it up easily.

Also keep in mind that these days in the US we are all out of sequentially
assigned 1x3, 1x2 and 2x1 calls. Any General or Tech who moved out of the
area would either have to settle for a 2x3 call or PAY for a vanity call if
they could find one not taken. Similarly Extras would have to settle for
2x2s beginning with A or PAY for a vanity call. And it wouldn't be too many
years before these 2x2 calls are gone.

I was licensed in Ohio in 1992. Got my 8 call there. Then I moved to
Illinois, then South Dakota, and then finally to Michigan. If I had been
required to change, I'd have had 4 calls in 10 years ending with an 8 call
different than what I have now. That would have been quite a nuisance.

However, the solution is simple. Simply sign /x instead of requiring call
sign changes. If you think this is truly an important issue, petition the
FCC to make it a requirement instead of voluntary.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 9th 04, 06:53 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

For those who say that it helps them point their beam, once again

nonsense.
If someone in Illinois hears an 8 call, the range of possibilities for
pointing that beam goes from NNE to SW.

I was pretty good in Mrs. Scheiders geography class, but if we include
only normal great circle routes (and exclude long-path propagation and
KH8 stations) I can't find any part of of W8-land which lies on an
azimuth SW from Illinois.

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

Sorry, that should have been NW. I was thinking one thing and typed

another
or maybe I just got tired of Ns!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I really shouldn't be typing when I'm tired (I'm recovering from severe
pneumonia and still spend most of the day sleeping). That should be SE.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 9th 04, 07:15 PM
KØHB

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

For those who say that it helps them point their beam, once again

nonsense.
If someone in Illinois hears an 8 call, the range of possibilities

for
pointing that beam goes from NNE to SW.

I was pretty good in Mrs. Scheiders geography class, but if we

include
only normal great circle routes (and exclude long-path propagation

and
KH8 stations) I can't find any part of of W8-land which lies on an
azimuth SW from Illinois.

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

Sorry, that should have been NW.

Hmmm..... maybe I need to recalibrate my astrolabe. I can't make
anything with "W" fit the conditions.

73, de Hans, K0HB (somewhere in Zero-land)

CALL SIGN LOOKUP Sarah Fender Antenna 15 August 19th 04 04:47 PM
FCC Vanity Call Sign Dispute Keith Policy 0 January 22nd 04 11:41 PM
SX8E Special Call Sign October 28,29,30/2003 Deos Dx 4 November 17th 03 01:20 PM
SX8E Special Call Sign October 28,29,30/2003 Deos General 1 October 29th 03 11:06 AM
SX8E Special Call Sign October 28,29,30/2003 Deos General 0 October 24th 03 01:55 AM