RadioBanter

-   -   US Licensing Restructuring ??? When ??? (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27731-us-licensing-restructuring-when.html)

KØHB October 2nd 04 05:51 AM

"Joe Guthart" wrote in message

Anyone have a proposed timeline of when this will be settled.

The dust will not settle in our time. And when it does some
great roaring machine will come and whirl it all skyhigh again.

Steve Robeson K4CAP October 2nd 04 01:29 PM

Subject: US Licensing Restructuring ??? When ???
From: Dave Heil
Date: 10/1/2004 10:48 PM Central Standard Time
Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(William) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,
(William) writes:

(Brian Kelly) wrote in message
.com...
PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message news:

Or, on the cheap side of the coin, "recycled" parts using mainly
technology that is 50 to 40 years old (K4YZ homepage).

What fault do you find with that and why doesn't any of it appear of
K4YZ's homepage?

Because, Dave...As usual, Lennie was looking for a quick jab to render to
his "opponents".

But as usual, he swung blindly, solidly landing a punch in his own eye!

There's only a picture of me on my QRZ page with verbal descriptions of my
station. None of the gear therein mentioned is based on "technology that is 50
to 40 years old"...

Neither of the two pages I maintain on AOL (one for myself, the other for
my deceased daughter) has any radio gear mentioned therein either.

Geez,
absolutely zilch time spent in trying to make any of it attractive.
Not the stuff of "marketable design!"

That'd be a real problem if it was built to be a marketable design.

Yeppers...there's that "built to experiment with" thing again.

And yet another example of why Lennie the Lame is wrong yet again about
Amateur Radio, even if it is over a piece of nostalgia gear.

Collins Radios, back when tubes were king, were REAL boat-
anchors...and performed very well although their specifications
were not great in sensitivity nor in IMD.

Have I told you lately just how much you remind me of John Kerry?

Now I don't care for his politics, but WHY would you want to insult John
Kerry like THAT, Dave...?!?! Lennie's an overbearing, pompous "almost been"
who insists on trying to make the world fit into his several-decades old
perception of the world.

Kery is an overbearing, pom.....

Oh...Yeah...I guess so...CARRY ON ! ! ! !

73

Steve, K4YZ

N2EY October 2nd 04 02:55 PM

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(William) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,
(William) writes:

(Brian Kelly) wrote in message
.com...
PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message news:

Or, on the cheap side of the coin, "recycled" parts using mainly
technology that is 50 to 40 years old (K4YZ homepage).

What fault do you find with that and why doesn't any of it appear of
K4YZ's homepage?

Len is confused. He cannot deal with the fact that K4YZ and N2EY are not the
same person.

Nothing in the Southgate Type 7 is "cheap". The parts used were very
inexpensive, but of high quality.

Geez,
absolutely zilch time spent in trying to make any of it attractive.

Wrong again!

A lot of time and effort were spent making it attractive to the intended
market. No time or effort was spent making it attractive to Len.

Not the stuff of "marketable design!"

That'd be a real problem if it was built to be a marketable design.

The intended market thinks it's an excellent design and of high quality
manufacture.

Collins Radios, back when tubes were king, were REAL boat-
anchors...and performed very well although their specifications
were not great in sensitivity nor in IMD.

Lab tests prove differently - particularly for a meatball 75S3C. See the
Sherwood Engineering receiver comparison chart.

What amateur radio HF receivers, transmitters and/or transceivers has Len
designed and built on his own time, with his own resources?

Where is Len's home page?

The whole world wonders....

73 de Jim, N2EY

William October 2nd 04 03:21 PM

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
William wrote:

Yep, 35 years later they've got Collins. Keepin' up with the times.

That's right, "William", I've got a modified 75A-3 which is about 51
years old, a 51S-1 which was produced in the late seventies and a
KWM-2A which was built about the same time as Len's Icom R-70 receiver.
I have an Orion which was produced last year.

How do you like using the Orion?

I stopped by Ten-Tec last year and looked at it, didn't buy it.

I also have other functional ham gear from the twenties, thirties,
forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties and nineties. I'm
keeping up with the times--ALL of 'em.

Dave K8MN

Nothing earlier?

William October 2nd 04 03:36 PM

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...

Kellie is going to name- and number-drop (once he refreshes his
memory on old advertisements) that HIS gear is "the best" and
"superior" and anything that an NCTA has is "crap." HIS
"engineering examples" all involve machinery things, never
electronic stuff. Must be difficult for those who "sit at captain's
tables" to regress and crack open a theory book, huh?

How about just being a good appliance OP and opening an operations
manual or TO? He can't even get the power supply voltage correct.
Wonder how many radios he's fried over the years?

We can't complain about that because the PCTA are royalty
and thus above reproach...but I complain anyway since I know
that electrons, fields, and waves don't much give a snit which
radio service it is or how the modulation is made. Can't
convince the PCTA of that. Color them inviolate.

Done.

Ooops! Here comes the flying bricks.

Dave Heil October 2nd 04 05:40 PM

William wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
William wrote:

Yep, 35 years later they've got Collins. Keepin' up with the times.

That's right, "William", I've got a modified 75A-3 which is about 51
years old, a 51S-1 which was produced in the late seventies and a
KWM-2A which was built about the same time as Len's Icom R-70 receiver.
I have an Orion which was produced last year.

How do you like using the Orion?

No rig is perfect. The Orion is very, very close.

I stopped by Ten-Tec last year and looked at it, didn't buy it.

They still make 'em.

I also have other functional ham gear from the twenties, thirties,
forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties and nineties. I'm
keeping up with the times--ALL of 'em.

Nothing earlier?

To have anything earlier, I'd have to find something earlier. All I
have is a piece of something earlier. My late friend W4JBP first became
a ham in 1912 on the family farm near Indianapolis. John gave me the
spark coil from an old Reo truck. It was the basis for his very first
rig. It is coated in pitch and mounted in a small dovetailed wooden
box.

Dave K8MN

Steve Robeson K4CAP October 2nd 04 11:32 PM

From: PAMNO (N2EY)
Date: 10/2/2004 8:55 AM Central Standard Time
In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(William) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,
(William) writes:

(Brian Kelly) wrote in message
.com...
PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message news:

Or, on the cheap side of the coin, "recycled" parts using mainly
technology that is 50 to 40 years old (K4YZ homepage).

What fault do you find with that and why doesn't any of it appear of
K4YZ's homepage?

Len is confused. He cannot deal with the fact that K4YZ and N2EY are not the
same person.

There's a whole lot that he is confused about.

For example, he keeps trying to confuse Amateur Radio with PLMRS, GMRS,
Armed Forces Communications, CB, etc etc etc.

Nothing in the Southgate Type 7 is "cheap". The parts used were very
inexpensive, but of high quality.

Geez,
absolutely zilch time spent in trying to make any of it attractive.

Wrong again!

A lot of time and effort were spent making it attractive to the intended
market. No time or effort was spent making it attractive to Len.

Of course...the Supreme Engineer forgot that the purpose of the project
was to provide a functional device. Jim's radio did just that. Mission
accomplished.

Not the stuff of "marketable design!"

That'd be a real problem if it was built to be a marketable design.

The intended market thinks it's an excellent design and of high quality
manufacture.

We forget Lennie's only reason for being a "radio professional"...profit.

WE do what we do for FUN!

Lennie's NOT a "fun" person.

Collins Radios, back when tubes were king, were REAL boat-
anchors...and performed very well although their specifications
were not great in sensitivity nor in IMD.

Lab tests prove differently - particularly for a meatball 75S3C. See the
Sherwood Engineering receiver comparison chart.

What amateur radio HF receivers, transmitters and/or transceivers has Len
designed and built on his own time, with his own resources?

Where is Len's home page?

The whole world wonders....

Lennie once HAD an AOL page...No pictures or even a remote mention of
radios, but he did make allusion to fantasizing about being the old man that
Ruth Buzzy (the comedienne) used to pelt with her purse on the park bench on
the old :Laugh In" series.

Some imagination, eh? Musta be reeeeeeeeal proud of that "radio
professional" background.

73

Steve, K4YZ

William October 3rd 04 01:17 AM

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
William wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
William wrote:

Yep, 35 years later they've got Collins. Keepin' up with the times.

That's right, "William", I've got a modified 75A-3 which is about 51
years old, a 51S-1 which was produced in the late seventies and a
KWM-2A which was built about the same time as Len's Icom R-70 receiver.
I have an Orion which was produced last year.

How do you like using the Orion?

No rig is perfect. The Orion is very, very close.

I stopped by Ten-Tec last year and looked at it, didn't buy it.

They still make 'em.

I know. And the last QST had a nice ad for it. To be honest, I don't
know what I want in my next rig. That's why I keep looking.

I also have other functional ham gear from the twenties, thirties,
forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties and nineties. I'm
keeping up with the times--ALL of 'em.

Nothing earlier?

To have anything earlier, I'd have to find something earlier.

I've only seen photos.

All I
have is a piece of something earlier. My late friend W4JBP first became
a ham in 1912 on the family farm near Indianapolis. John gave me the
spark coil from an old Reo truck. It was the basis for his very first
rig. It is coated in pitch and mounted in a small dovetailed wooden
box.

Dave K8MN

If you build it, you'll be tempted to use it.

Brian Kelly October 3rd 04 08:09 AM

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
William wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
William wrote:

Yep, 35 years later they've got Collins. Keepin' up with the times.

That's right, "William", I've got a modified 75A-3 which is about 51
years old, a 51S-1 which was produced in the late seventies and a
KWM-2A

NICE collection!

which was built about the same time as Len's Icom R-70 receiver.
I have an Orion which was produced last year.

How do you like using the Orion?

No rig is perfect. The Orion is very, very close.

I stopped by Ten-Tec last year and looked at it, didn't buy it.

They still make 'em.

But David they don't come with antennas and somebody who knows how to
install antennas so that's the end of Silly Willy Beeper's Ten-tec
dream machine.

I also have other functional ham gear from the twenties, thirties,
forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, eighties and nineties. I'm
keeping up with the times--ALL of 'em.

Nothing earlier?

To have anything earlier, I'd have to find something earlier. All I
have is a piece of something earlier. My late friend W4JBP first became
a ham in 1912 on the family farm near Indianapolis. John gave me the
spark coil from an old Reo truck. It was the basis for his very first
rig. It is coated in pitch and mounted in a small dovetailed wooden
box.

Yeeee-haw! One of those was my very first "transmitter"!

In seventh or eighth grade I found a big thick dusty 1920s compilation
of DIY projects which had appeared earlier in Popular Mechanics in the
jr. high library. What there was of it. 1950 timeframe. Lotta radio
projects and I built a couple crystal sets from the articles. None of
this 1N34 nonsense, go find a chunk of Galena then go find a hot spot
on it with a home-brewed cat whisker . . worked.

There was an article on building a spark TX based on a Model T Ford
spark coil which is obviously the same critter Reo used. I went spark
coil hunting and bought mine from J.C. Whitney which stocked heaps of
Model T parts and diddled with it. My Lionel train transformer did a
good job as it's "power supply".

I wrapped a dozen or so turns of wire around the wooden box to serve
as the "secondary" of the spark coil and grounded one end of it to a
copper water pipe in the rafters. Then I strung up some wire from the
"output" end of the secondary fom my cellar "laboratory" to an apple
tree out back. Connected a J-38 between the Lionel xfmr output and the
spark coil primary and was set to hit the airwaves.

I needed somebody to listen for me and after several days of getting
patted on my noggin and being written off as a nutcase I managed to
finally recruit George Barnum who lived a block and a half away to
listen for me. His older brother had a radio and TV repair shop so
George sorta understood what I was up to. He heard me *good* when I
fired the thing up on sked.

The problem was that I really screwed up by arranging the sked when
every houswife in town was listening to the Don McNeil Breakfast Club
Hour while they were doing their ironing. I completely obliterated the
AM b'cast band for blocks around, the phone rang off the hook and Mom
not only terminated my Grand Experiment but almost terminated me too.
Again.

.. . . growing up is such a bitch . .

Dave K8MN

w3rv

William October 3rd 04 01:44 PM

(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message ...

There's a whole lot that he is confused about.

For example, he keeps trying to confuse Amateur Radio with PLMRS, GMRS,
Armed Forces Communications, CB, etc etc etc.

He's confused?

"Sorry Hans, MARS IS Amateur Radio!"

Hi, hi!