Old September 24th 04, 11:42 PM
Kim

I sure do wish we could have seen this thread stay alive without all the
trash that got wrapped up in it!

Oh well...

Kim W5TIT

Old September 25th 04, 01:52 AM
N2EY

In article , "Kim"
writes:

I sure do wish we could have seen this thread stay alive without all the
trash that got wrapped up in it!

Would you like another story, Kim?

Here's one....

Back in 1968, age 14, I went on Field Day for the first time. Back then 6 meter
AM was big in this area - lots of hams had 6 meter mobile rigs as well as home
setups.

That FD, I wound up at the 6 meter AM (yes, on 'phone) setup late at night. The
rig was a Lafayette HA-460 - 10 watts of AM with tunable receiver and
transmitter. (While it was all in one box, it had separate dials for the
receiver and transmitter frequency). Antenna was a 5 element Yagi at about 50
feet.

Fortunately my voice had changed enough by then that I never got "The WA3 YL
station, please repeat....."

Now some might decry such a setup as "primitive", but we worked close to 200
stations with it - and we weren't serious contest operators at all. Nor was the
club a serious contest outfit; it was just some folks who put on a half-serious
FD with whatever came to hand.

With the beam and the conditions, we got as far north as Massachusetts, as far
south as Maryland and as far west as Ohio. Lots and LOTs of EPA, SNJ, NNJ, and
DE stations. Never a real band opening, though, or we'd have been all over the
country.

The big challenge was those stations which were on SSB. In those days there
were few amateur VHF SSB stations, but those few counted for points just the
same. The HA-460 had no BFO, so the SSB was garbled as heck. But if you turned
on the transmitter "spot" switch and adjusted the transmitter frequency dial
*very* carefully, you could make some sense of an SSB signal if the other op
repeated enough times. We pulled at least a dozen SSB-to-AM QSOs that way.

Stayed up all night (for the first time!) and operated while the grownups
snoozed in their cars or went home. Got home about 3 Sunday afternoon, hot and
tired, having had a great FD. That was also the first time I uttered the
contester's immortal words: "Wait till *next* year!"

I still remember the call - WA3CCP, the old "ARTICS" radio club. (Yes, I know
the right spelling is "arctic" but they spelled the club name differently.
Stood for Amateur Radio Technical Inter-County Society).

36 years and 36 FDs later, it's still great fun.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 25th 04, 02:31 AM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

Fortunately my voice had changed enough by then that I never got "The WA3

YL
station, please repeat....."

Some of us alto voiced YLs get the "you're off frequency" because they don't
realize that we are YLs and just think we aren't tuned in right since we
sound only a touch high to them!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 25th 04, 04:34 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"
writes:

[...]

Great FD story Jim.....here is my first FD story.

I was a brand new General and the local club (W8LKY) in Alliance Ohio had
their annual FD. I too also operated six meters, but with a Clegg 99er. I
loved it when you mentioned the method of tuning in a ssb and or cw station.
I did the same thing at FD and at home.

I have lots of ham radio stories, but as Kim says, this thread is a mess.
We shall see.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 25th 04, 04:36 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

Fortunately my voice had changed enough by then that I never got "The

WA3
YL
station, please repeat....."

Some of us alto voiced YLs get the "you're off frequency" because they

don't
realize that we are YLs and just think we aren't tuned in right since we
sound only a touch high to them!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Real hams do it on High Frequency, or is that with??? You do know of
course that the High Pitch of a female voice will come through a pileup
don't ya? In fact that is why all these deep voiced males try to add Heil 5
sound to their SSB signals... hi.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 25th 04, 08:56 PM
N2EY

In article . net, "Dan/W4NTI"
w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

Great FD story Jim.....

Thanks!

here is my first FD story.

I was a brand new General and the local club (W8LKY) in Alliance Ohio had
their annual FD. I too also operated six meters, but with a Clegg 99er.

NICE!

The Utica 650 was popular around here as, as were the various PolyComms and of
course the ubiquitous Gooney Birds. Clegg was for the rich folks ;-)

loved it when you mentioned the method of tuning in a ssb and or cw station.
I did the same thing at FD and at home.

I have lots of ham radio stories, but as Kim says, this thread is a mess.
We shall see.

We can straighten it out by telling the stories!

I'd love to hear more.

Perhaps I will dig up my old logs and see when we first worked each other in
SS. I always remembered your call because yours was not an easy section from
EPA.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old September 25th 04, 08:56 PM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

Fortunately my voice had changed enough by then that I never got "The WA3

YL
station, please repeat....."

Some of us alto voiced YLs get the "you're off frequency" because they don't
realize that we are YLs and just think we aren't tuned in right since we
sound only a touch high to them!

HAW! How times have changed!

On AM, of course, voice pitch doesn't change with tuning so that doesn't
happen.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 26th 04, 07:04 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"N2EY" wrote in message

Perhaps I will dig up my old logs and see when we first worked each other

in
SS. I always remembered your call because yours was not an easy section

from
EPA.

73 de Jim, N2EY

That would be interesting. It would have to be after very late in the year
of 79. I had just come back from duty in Germany then. I don't remember if
I got into contesting again at that time or not. For sure after early 81
tho. Been at it hard ever since.

Got this license while overseas, traded it for a K8 from Ohio when I
decided to call Bama home.

I'll see how this thread goes and add some as I can.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 27th 04, 06:15 PM
N2EY

"Kim" wrote in message .com...
I sure do wish we could have seen this thread stay alive without all the
trash that got wrapped up in it!

How about another story, then?

Back in the early 1970s I was active in the section and region NTS
nets. CW of course! We handled all sorts of traffic in all sorts of
conditions. Even my modest homebrew setup was effective on 80 meters
EPA and 3RN. Being a regular scheduled NCS and region rep for EPA
while still in high school is an experience I'm gald I didn't miss.

Now of course in such net operations one becomes very familiar with
the other regulars - to the point that all you need is to hear a few
letters of their signal to know who it is. Net members helped each
other in various ways, such as locating inexpensive parts, antenna
parties, etc.

One year I was looking for something different to do on FD, so I asked
around if anybody needed operators. Two hams who weren't that far away
offered to let me join their group. Turned out they were into QRP CW,
back when such operations usually meant homebrew, because the
manufacturers hadn't caught up yet.

So I wound up on the banks of the Schuylkill with "The Schuylkill
River Rats". The four of us put up a simple parallel dipole between
two trees, set up a surplus tent, table and chairs, and ran a pair of
cables over to the battery in someone's car. Hooked up the rig and we
were ready to go.

Now the rig we used was something unique. It was homebrew, of course,
covering 80 and 40 meters. It was a transceiver, with all solid state
devices except for the driver (12AU6) and final (1625) tubes. With a
small external power supply for high voltage, it could run as low as 5
watts for the QRP class or as high as 75 watts for home use. We ran
QRP, of course.

The receiver part was direct-conversion, with a phasing-type system to
eliminate the unwanted sideband. It worked pretty well, particularly
since it only had to deal with a relatively small audio range, since
CW needed only a small audio pass band.

It was built in the chassis of an old early-1930s-vintage National
FB-7 receiver, using only the case, tuning capacitor and dial. That
FB-7 would be worth a lot more today in its original condition, but
back then "old stuff" was all over the place for rock-bottom prices.

We made quite a few QSOs with that setup. IIRC something like 330 QSOs
with just 80/40 QRP CW and the dipole. I learned a lot about rig
design, QRP operating and Field Daying with a small group.

When it was done, taking the setup down was a breeze - we were on our
way home in an hour. I was skeptical about whether the engine in the
battery-supply-car would start, but it turned over and caught first
time. Maybe cars had bigger batteries then, or perhaps it was the old
Dodge Slant 6...

In any event, that started my interest in serious QRP and small-group
FDing.

(fast forward more than three decades)

A few months ago, a local ham gave me a pile of stuff he just wanted
to be rid of. Among the pile were a bunch of old copies of the
magazine "ham radio" (they didn't use capitals - trying to emulate
e.e.cummings or k.d.lang or some such). They were all early issues,
from 1968 to about 1975. I'd never been a subscriber but I had read a
few of them, back in the day.

Once they were properly stored, I pulled out a copy at random to read
- July, 1969. Flipped through it and suddenly got chills - there, on
page 14, was the FD rig we'd used so long ago! Article was by the
leader of our group, Cliff, W3NNL, who had designed and built it. Boy,
did that bring back memories!

73 de Jim, N2EY

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
ARRL and the local scene KØHB Policy 3 May 17th 04 02:30 AM
NEWS: N2DUP announces for ARRL section manager in Minnesota Chuck Gysi N2DUP Policy 0 May 9th 04 09:19 PM
NEWS: N2DUP announces for ARRL section manager in Minnesota Chuck Gysi N2DUP General 0 May 9th 04 09:18 PM
ARRL's Incoming QSL Burro Screwing NON ARRL members! NIW Policy 0 March 23rd 04 10:29 PM