Old October 15th 04, 03:26 AM
Brian Kelly

Default BPL Has Arrived: One HFer's Take On it

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/10/14/1/?nc=1

So we'll have to deal with it. But it could have been a *whole* lot
worse if the FCC hadn't (grudgingly) paid attention to ham radio's
squawks about the interference problem.

BPL is going to be out there but it'll be far from the original slash
and burn form espoused by it's big biz proponents and supported by
it's political sycophants. This R&O gives us HFers the tools we need
to ward off BPL if the crap actually becomes a problem in your
neighborhood.

A tiny, obscure number of us radio hobbyists in a population
approaching 300 million has had a visible impact on a hot potato issue
with a high-visibility federal regulatory agency. We couldn't have
reasonably expected more. We done good despite the doomsayers
nonsense.

But a Haynie has put it the devil may yet be in the so far undisclosed
details of this R&O so stay tuned . .

w3rv
Old October 15th 04, 11:47 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The ONLY SURE way to not have problems with BPL is to NOT HAVE BPL AT ALL.

The Power Companies have a really crummy record of taking care of their
power line noise. Which is also illegal.

Riley even said " you can't expect them to shut down their entire grid for
one ham operator".

This after being plauged for over 5 years with PL noise.

The FCC is a joke.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 16th 04, 12:43 AM
WA8ULX

Riley even said " you can't expect them to shut down their entire grid for
one ham operator".

This after being plauged for over 5 years with PL noise.

The FCC is a joke.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan im sure that is going to be the Norm. First they will ID the problem
which will probably take at 6 months to do. Then with all the Stall tactics one
problem could take years, if ever to be resolved. All Powell did was give Lip
Service, dont expect any real enforcement.

Old October 16th 04, 04:33 AM
Robert Casey

The Power Companies have a really crummy record of taking care of their
power line noise. Which is also illegal.

Riley even said " you can't expect them to shut down their entire grid for
one ham operator".

This after being plauged for over 5 years with PL noise.

The FCC is a joke.

We are going to have to develop a new digital mode that looks a
lot like BPL, such that any BPL systems in the neighborhood
are trashed when we fire up the transmitter. Tough bananas
BPL providers, we are licensed...

Old October 16th 04, 10:01 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

The Power Companies have a really crummy record of taking care of their
power line noise. Which is also illegal.

Riley even said " you can't expect them to shut down their entire grid

for
one ham operator".

This after being plauged for over 5 years with PL noise.

The FCC is a joke.

We are going to have to develop a new digital mode that looks a
lot like BPL, such that any BPL systems in the neighborhood
are trashed when we fire up the transmitter. Tough bananas
BPL providers, we are licensed...

Sounds like a plan to me.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 17th 04, 02:06 PM
Brian Kelly

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message link.net...
[...]

The standard procedure for mitigating PL noise around here is to (a)
Don't even bother with the FCC. (b) Take it straight to the PA state
Public Utilities Commission. Which has a bunch more clout in the power
biz than the FCC has and they take PL noise problems seriously and are
rather effective at making it go away.

Dan/W4NTI

w3rv
Old October 18th 04, 12:42 AM
Dan/W4NTI

[...]

I have talked to the Alabama PSC on two occassions, once in Sep of 02, then
in Jun of 03. I recently sent a letter to them.

They are not doing much as far as I can see.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 21st 04, 03:02 AM
Wby

Bush is under pressure to bring broadband to the masses, especially with
some parts in Asia getting 4mb. But is 256k really broadband? I don't think
so, not when I get 1.3mb on DSL and my father-in-law gets 2.5mb with
roadrunner.
Powell is going to do what the Administration wants, no matter how many
times the ARRL points out the obvious flaws in their plans. But
historically, how many "You-can-do-this-over-your-AC-lines" products have
really worked? How many are still around?
BPL will fail, but it will be a long painful process for amateurs to
endure...unless of course there is a change in the administration, no more
Powell, etc. and maybe, just maybe, they'll actually put some ham-smart
people in charge.