Old November 8th 04, 05:39 PM
N2EY

"JAMES HAMPTON" wrote in message ...
Hello, gang

Now we have had questions as to the future of amateur radio and BPL - and
have seen that the FCC now considers amateur radio simply a hobby and not
worthy of full protection, I'm seeing some upcoming problems.

How will we calculate resonant frequency? Since Wisconsin is now going to
teach creationism, I assume that Tennessee will revive their old law which
states that PI is equal to 3 (integer). With Bush firmly in command, I
suspect that PI will be made (by law) equal to three. Also, I suspect that
the metric system will be scrapped. We will deal in feet, with the foot
officially set to the length of Bush's foot.

Anyone have any new formulas? Or won't that matter too much? What will the
radian be defined as?

Inquiring minds and such .... )

http://www.ucomics.com/tonyauth/

One thing I have always found interesting is how some folks will not
bother to even read the very Book they try to impose on others.

For example, consider the whole "creationism" concept. It comes not
from the creation story itself, but rather from trying to reconcile a
long geneaology that goes from Christ back to Adam. Some bishop, about
120 years ago, figured out from that genealogy that the earth was
created in 4004 BC. October 22, IIRC. If you take the geneaology
literally, the earth cannot be billions of years old, and so a whole
theory of pseudoscience had to be made up to try to make a literal
interpretation of the Book appear "scientific".

But if you actually *read* the book of Genesis, you see that there are
two creation stories that conflict with each other. They cannot both
be literally true, because their timelines are different.

Or consider the whole same-gender civil-union thing. A lot of folks
oppose them because of some Old Testament quotes involving
abominations and such. But these same folks accept divorce, despite
clear New Testament prohibitions against it.

AFAIC, it's fine if people want to believe the earth is about 6000
years old - just don't try to pass such things off as "science".

What next - will books and films like "Inherit The Wind" (Scopes
"Monkey Trial" be banned?

Remember - Science *lost* that trial. Less than 80 years ago.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old November 10th 04, 01:33 PM
William

(N2EY) wrote in message om...
[...]

I've tried to influence other people's "quasi-religious belief system"
WRT the Amateur Service Morse Code exams. It just can't be done. The
best thing that can be done is to offer a different point of view for
new (and hopefully younger) people forming their own opinions. The
actuarial tables will take care of the rest of us.

AR88 Restoration project: Some Questions. joe landy Boatanchors 6 November 26th 04 03:10 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM
Reference for basic antenna theory Cecil Moore Antenna 0 September 1st 03 08:29 PM