Old December 26th 04, 07:38 PM
Phil Kane

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:54:39 GMT, robert casey wrote:

j No station shall transmit
messages for a third party to any station within the jurisdiction of any
foreign government whose administration has not made such an
arrangement. This prohibition does not apply to a message for any third
party who is eligible to be a control operator of the station.

Usually if the foreign government owns the phone company
there, they say that you can't do it.

That reason has passed into history, because many if not most of
the governmental "PTTs" have become either quasi- or real private
sector entities in the last decade or so. Mostly now it's either
"state security" or, more likely, inertia on the part of the foreign
Administration.

Suprizingly many
of the communist dictatorships do allow 3rd party comms.
But the hams in such would probably be taken out back and
shot if they did pass a message to a 3rd party saying
"Communism sucks".

I passed the first "third party" message from Israel to the US
right after the "letter of agreement" was signed, regarding asking
my then-father-in-law to send me a dummy load for my HF rig . My
boss questioned me the next day as to whether I was using the ham
bands to pass business messages..... the monitoring station for the
Shin Bet ("homeland security service") was about 2 km from our
apartment and they always used my signals to calibrate their
monitoring equipment, the chief tech being a good friend of mine!!

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old December 26th 04, 10:50 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
ganews.com...
[...]

Hello, Phil

When I was on Guam, the security folks kept a close eye (or, rather, ear) on
the ham shack. When I found out about that, I fired up on the bottom end of
40 meters and managed a qso in *American* land-line Morse. It was
hilarious, despite having to ask the guy to qrs to 16 words per minute
(using a look-up table in my head for the characters that were different
from International Morse). We chatted for a good half hour.

For some unknown reason, the beer cooler was removed from the ham shack
within two days. I suspect that I was lucky not to being called out on the
floor for that piece of humor My guess is that they went nuts for a
number of hours playing the tape slowly as they tried to decode the "secret"
message )

I no longer attempt too much "humor" on folks responsible for security. I
wouldn't try *any* humor on them these days LOL

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 27th 04, 02:36 AM
robert casey

I no longer attempt too much "humor" on folks responsible for security. I
wouldn't try *any* humor on them these days LOL

I can be a practical joker at times, but I always behave myself at the
airport.

N8WWM COURT DOCUMENTS Joe Smith General 3 April 29th 04 04:56 PM
N8WWM COURT DOCUMENTS Joe Smith Policy 1 April 29th 04 04:56 PM
N8WWM COURT DOCUMENTS WA3MOJ Policy 2 April 29th 04 04:54 PM
N8WWM COURT DOCUMENTS Bada Bing Policy 0 April 21st 04 02:25 PM