Old January 4th 05, 03:21 AM
Private

Default Funny Morse Code Picture

This picture has been floating around the net lately, it made me
laugh. Based on what I have been reading the picture may be somewhat
accurate......

http://www3.telus.net/~homac/morsecodecoffin.jpg
Old January 4th 05, 03:43 PM
Bob Schreibmaier

Funny, yes. Accurate, no.

In article ,
says...

This picture has been floating around the net lately, it made me
laugh. Based on what I have been reading the picture may be somewhat
accurate......

http://www3.telus.net/~homac/morsecodecoffin.jpg

| Bob Schreibmaier K3PH | E-mail: |
| Kresgeville, PA 18333 |
http://www.dxis.org |

Old January 4th 05, 06:30 PM
Shining One

This got me 2 wondering, do hams still send those
obsolete ascii-character type nudie pics to
each other via teletype like they used to do
30+ years ago? (or do they just put then up
on web pages now like everyone else...?)

"Bob Schreibmaier" wrote in message
Funny, yes. Accurate, no.

In article ,
says...

Old January 4th 05, 10:53 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

Perhaps you haven't heard of slow scan television? There are a number of
methods of transmitting color pictures without the need for ascii character
type graphics. The very first personal computers had very crude (or only
ascii character) graphics. Why folks think that ham radio has stood still
for 30 or 40 or 50 years beats the heck out of me ...

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

oups.com...

Old January 5th 05, 03:48 AM
robert casey

Private wrote:
This picture has been floating around the net lately, it made me
laugh. Based on what I have been reading the picture may be somewhat
accurate......

http://www3.telus.net/~homac/morsecodecoffin.jpg

It's been a while since I have used a straight key, but the
handle on that key looks to be installed upsidedown....

Old January 5th 05, 08:14 AM
Caveat Lector

http://www3.telus.net/~homac/morsecodecoffin.jpg

Folks this is the famous Dracula key -- used in the Blood Island DXpedition
off of the Transylvania Coast (;-)
Call BLØOD/YO
QRV - Night time only
QSL to Vlad Tepes, One QT, Translvania, Romania

-·-· ·-- ·-·· ·· ···- · ···

Caveat Lector ··

Old January 5th 05, 06:40 PM
Joe O'Connell

These were not really pictures,but rather the "image" was made entirely by
characters on a "real"teletype machine keyboard.In the '60s
there were a number of these would show up at various times.Xmas themes
around the holiday,some pretty good images of Playboy centerfolds also made
the rounds.
These had nothing to do with computers,the person making the image would cut
a tape on his machine.The image could be sent without interuption.This was
real RTTY,no computers.
I would think a few old timers would still have some tapes in their
collection.
Joe
W7KQU

Old January 5th 05, 09:03 PM
Peter Lemken

In rec.radio.amateur.dx Joe O'Connell wrote:
These were not really pictures,but rather the "image" was made entirely by
characters on a "real"teletype machine keyboard.In the '60s
there were a number of these would show up at various times.Xmas themes
around the holiday,some pretty good images of Playboy centerfolds also made
the rounds.
These had nothing to do with computers,the person making the image would cut
a tape on his machine.The image could be sent without interuption.This was
real RTTY,no computers.
I would think a few old timers would still have some tapes in their
collection.

You can find them in:

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
Old January 6th 05, 05:20 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Joe O'Connell" wrote in message
These were not really pictures,but rather the "image" was made entirely by
characters on a "real"teletype machine keyboard.In the '60s
there were a number of these would show up at various times.Xmas themes
around the holiday,some pretty good images of Playboy centerfolds also

made
the rounds.
These had nothing to do with computers,the person making the image would

cut
a tape on his machine.The image could be sent without interuption.This was
real RTTY,no computers.
I would think a few old timers would still have some tapes in their
collection.
Joe
W7KQU

Hello, Joe

Been there, done that - both from KG6AAY on Guam and in the various teletype
rooms in the Navy back in the 60s. Around Christmas time, you'd see a lot
of santa and the reindeer done in ascii graphics.

As to real RTTY, believe me you wouldn't want to be in one of those small
rooms on a ship. Metal deck, metal bulkheads, metal overhead, and over a
dozen teletypes clanking away. It was loud.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old January 6th 05, 10:57 PM
Joe O'Connell

Hi Jim,
Also been there,was the Operations Officer on a USCG ship and would
occaisionly fill a seat in the Radio Room on RTTY and the 500 Kc cw
position when the radiomen were shorthanded.
just to help out.
73
Joe
W7KQU

Funny Morse Code Picture Private Dx 0 January 4th 05 03:21 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 03:45 AM
My response to Jim Wiley, KL7CC Brian Policy 3 October 24th 03 12:02 AM
Some comments on the NCVEC petition D. Stussy Policy 13 August 5th 03 04:23 AM
NCVEC NPRM for elimination of horse and buggy morse code requirement. Keith Policy 1 July 31st 03 03:46 AM