Old January 12th 05, 02:30 AM
Charles Brabham

Default Mixed-Mode Operation on Voice Repeaters

http://www.uspacket.org/mixmode.htm

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Old January 12th 05, 02:44 AM
Phil Kane

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 02:30:22 GMT, Charles Brabham wrote:

http://www.uspacket.org/mixmode.htm

Interesting article. Very near the front is a patent inaccuracy:

"Probably the most well-known mixed-mode operation occurs in
police vehicles, where data is squirted across to the patrol car
on voice channels. The data is usually information about a person,
a vehicle, or a location and is displayed in a small screen in the
cruiser."

Please don't tell that to my public safety communications clients
who all use separate dedicated channels for voice and data, albeit
in the same general frequency range. It will only confuse them....
ggg

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old January 12th 05, 04:34 AM
Charles Brabham

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
ganews.com...
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 02:30:22 GMT, Charles Brabham wrote:

http://www.uspacket.org/mixmode.htm

Interesting article. Very near the front is a patent inaccuracy:

"Probably the most well-known mixed-mode operation occurs in
police vehicles, where data is squirted across to the patrol car
on voice channels. The data is usually information about a person,
a vehicle, or a location and is displayed in a small screen in the
cruiser."

Please don't tell that to my public safety communications clients
who all use separate dedicated channels for voice and data, albeit
in the same general frequency range. It will only confuse them....
ggg

The level of police tech varies quite a bit from place to place. Many places
do use the mixed-mode system I described. I didn't characterize it as the
latest development or anything like that, as I don't keep up with the latest
police tech.

So - it is "inaccurate" where you live, but things tend to vary... Most of
it's not at all like the old home QTH.

Charles, N5PVL

Old January 12th 05, 05:44 PM
Phil Kane

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:34:42 GMT, Charles Brabham wrote:

Please don't tell that to my public safety communications clients
who all use separate dedicated channels for voice and data, albeit
in the same general frequency range. It will only confuse them....
ggg

The level of police tech varies quite a bit from place to place. Many places
do use the mixed-mode system I described. I didn't characterize it as the
latest development or anything like that, as I don't keep up with the latest
police tech.

So - it is "inaccurate" where you live, but things tend to vary...

That's very true. Our clients are almost all major city and county
law enforcement agencies across the US who barely have enough voice
channels capacity for what they need to do, let alone share some of
them for mixed-use.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane