Old February 24th 05, 12:01 AM
Dee Flint

wrote in message
oups.com...

Todd Daugherty wrote:

Go to streets of your town as
ask the average person on the
street if they had a choice between the
Internet and Amateur radio which one would
they pick? The vast majority of
people would pick the internet.

Red herring alert! You don't need to choose "between" them..... it's
perfectly acceptable to participate in both, and for different reasons.

Come back when you've learned logical debating techniques.

With kindest personal regards,

Hans, K0HB

Haven't seen you in here for awhile. Where have you been?

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 24th 05, 06:40 AM
N9OGL

The point of the argument is for amateur's radio to grow amateurs are
going
to have to compete with the internet. Compete in the sense of getting
people into the hobby. The old modes of communication isn't going to
cut
it anymore. The vast majority of people would rather get on the
internet
instead of getting into a hobby which has nothing to really offer in
terms
new modes of communication. Many amateur radio operators can face the
fact
that amateur radio is slowly falling behind in technology and thus in
turn
is slowly dying off. Amateur radio will not grow if you can't get
people
into the service. You can drop the licensing structure down to nothing
but
no one will come into a hobby without dated modes of communication.

Todd N9OGL

Old February 24th 05, 08:54 AM
N9OGL

Like I said BB I would like to see them come up with something
different. Secondly I really doubt that 600,000 amateurs came up with
the same idea, if they did the system would be in place but it's not.
nor, would I be in the postion to defend those "appliance users" on
this newsgroup. Finally, the whole point is, amateurs are going to have
to get it in their head to compete with the internet. compete in the
sense of coming up with new ideas and new modes of communication to get
people into the hobby. without people you will not have an amateur
radio service. This is the 21st century and amateurs are still using
outdated modes of communication. As I stated before if you were to go
on the street and ask the average person if they had a choice between
amateur rado and the internet the vast majority would pick the
internet. Sure a lot of people don't know or ever heard of amateur
radio, but at the same time if you were to explain it to them they
would probabaly still pick the internet. they can do everything an
amateur radio operator can do on the internet mode wise and more.
Amateurs are falling behind in the tech world the problem with is those
outdate CB operators/appliance users who don't want the system to
change and fear anything new.

Todd M9OGL

bb wrote:
Todd Daugherty wrote:

Like I said you whiney like bitch whore I ****ing
dare you come up with something different.

Todd N9OGL

Todd, I think you need to work on the delivery a little more.

About 600,000 USA hams just tuned out your ideas.

Old February 24th 05, 04:13 PM
Dave Heil

N9OGL wrote:

The point of the argument is for amateur's radio to grow amateurs are
going
to have to compete with the internet.

No, that not only isn't the point, there isn't any argument except in
your mind.

Compete in the sense of getting
people into the hobby.

Amateur radio competes with any other leisure activity for time. Some
folks find it fascinating. Some have no interest. Not everyone is
going to become a radio amateur.

The old modes of communication isn't going to
cut it anymore.

They seem to be cutting it just fine, Todd. What new mode do you use in
your clandestine "broadcasts"?

The vast majority of people would rather get on the
internet
instead of getting into a hobby which has nothing to really offer in
terms
new modes of communication.

The vast majority of people are never going to become hams. It has
always been that way and will always be that way.

Many amateur radio operators can face the
fact
that amateur radio is slowly falling behind in technology and thus in
turn
is slowly dying off.

You've managed to dump a couple of false premises in one sentence.
You're wrong about technology and about amateur radio dying.

Amateur radio will not grow if you can't get
people
into the service.

Amateur radio licensing numbers are near an all time high.

You can drop the licensing structure down to nothing
but
no one will come into a hobby without dated modes of communication.

I'm too busy laughing at your sentence to give you a serious reply,
Todd.

Dave K8MN
Old February 24th 05, 04:20 PM
Dave Heil

N9OGL wrote:

without people you will not have an amateur
radio service.

Brilliant, Todd! Without people, there'd be no Social Security.
Without tires, there'd be no driving.

This is the 21st century and amateurs are still using
outdated modes of communication.

What makes a mode of communication outdated, Todd? Is it simply the
number of years it has existed?

This is the 21st Century. Do you think you have 21st Century writing
skills? If you have the latest high speed modes of communications open
to you, are your skills such that you can use them to express coherent
thoughts?

Amateurs are falling behind in the tech world the problem with is those
outdate CB operators/appliance users who don't want the system to
change and fear anything new.

Now THERE is a masterpiece of 21st Century thought.

Dave K8MN

Old February 24th 05, 10:08 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"N9OGL" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

How can you compare the internet to ham radio? Ham radio is using the
'ether', not wires and computers. There is no competition between
internet and ham radio. Those that are actually into real radio will choose
ham radio, those into computer things will choose the internet. Of course
there is a spill over between the two. But that only enhances the
experience, not competes with it.

There will always be a ham radio. Probably not in the form it is today.
And what is wrong with liking the modes we use? Hams still us AM, and we
would still be on spark if it were allowed. Just because it is old, does
NOT make it bad.

Hams do contribute to the state of the art. Where do you think SSTV came
from ? Just one example.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 24th 05, 10:48 PM
Todd Daugherty

I'm running an information bulletin you dickhead and no matter what the ****
you think their ****ing legal so get over it!

The vast majority of people would rather get on the
internet
instead of getting into a hobby which has nothing to really offer in
terms
new modes of communication.

The vast majority of people are never going to become hams. It has
always been that way and will always be that way.

No, not all people well get into amateur radio, but unless you can come up
with new idea's the service will die. I was talking to other amatuers about
this subject odd of the internet and agree that amateur radio will probably
die off in a few years.

Many amateur radio operators can face the
fact
that amateur radio is slowly falling behind in technology and thus in
turn
is slowly dying off.

You've managed to dump a couple of false premises in one sentence.
You're wrong about technology and about amateur radio dying.

Oh really, what NEW technologies has amatuer radio come up with worth
getting into? Amateur are falling behind that's the truth.

Amateur radio will not grow if you can't get
people
into the service.

Amateur radio licensing numbers are near an all time high.

Not true, according to the statistics last year amateur radio went up and
down in the number of people entering the service. last month it was down by
over 1,000 people.

Old February 24th 05, 10:53 PM
Bathrooman

People have been using their voices for thousands of years, so is that
an 'outdated' form of communication? According to you it would be.
Language replaced grunting, burping and farting as forms of
communication, but you can still use that form of communication if you
want to. How about implanting a CPU into everyone's brain so that we
can communicate using brain waves? Amateur radio is in no way
competing with the internet. They are both forms of communication.
Now, with your brilliant thought processes, try coming up with
something worthwhile to communicate.

Old February 24th 05, 11:25 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Todd Daugherty wrote:

I'm running an information bulletin you dickhead and no matter what the ****
you think their ****ing legal so get over it!

Toddyboy, why don't you go away until you pass through puberty and
become mature enough to post something of revelance without the use of
jr. highschool language? Do you really think that makes anyone take your
rantings more seriously? NOT!!!!!!!!