Old February 15th 05, 10:40 PM
Caveat Lector

Hmmm I read something like this in about 1950
Hasn't happened yet in fact increased enormously
Please give a date for the The Death of Amateur Radio
And we will take a dollar for every year it continues --- OK

Interesting that we have dozens of new hams that got a license to beat the
cell phone rates

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

"Todd Daugherty" wrote in message

There are many ham radio operators who misunderstand this paper so I'll
give
a little example. Say I run a store, and in this store is empty boxes for
sale. Now often I would get someone to come into my store but no one would
buy my boxes. The reason for that is all I offer..the boxes. Now if I had
variety of stuff to offer the business would pickup and I would be able to
compete with other stores. The same is true with amateur radio. If amateur
radio is to survive in the digital age outdated modes of communication
won't
cut it. For amateur radio to survive they are going to have to offer
something besides an easy way to get a license. Amateurs will have to
compete in the sense that they are going to have to offer something that
would get people to join the service. Like I said for amateurs to compete
in
the digital era out dated modes of communication and half ass forms of
communication aren't going to cut. Amateur radio will die because amateur
radio will have nothing to offer except those half ass modes and outdated
communications

Todd N9OGL

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old February 15th 05, 11:06 PM

Caveat Lector wrote:
Someone wrote;
Q codes are for morse only. People who use Q codes on voice or text

are
boring.

I agree that generally there is no reason to use Q-codes on voice.

But there are 600,000 + hams in the USA most using Q-Codes on voice

even
VHF, and ya ain't gonna change that, so I suggest you know the basic

ones
when they come at you.

I don't use Q-codes on voice.

But it's a good idea to know them anyway.

Example: New folks coming on repeaters will hear about 5 or 6

commonly used
Q-codes - best learn them or wonder what the hell they are talking

about.
QSL, QSY, QTH, QRM, QRN, QRX, etc

Yes.

Q-Signals are brevity codes as is the 10 codes. They are useful to

increase
thruput and clarity, that is why the police and RACES use them on

voice.

Except in may cases they are *longer* on voice than the equivalent
words. For example, "QSL" is three syllables but "roger" is only two.
"QRX" is three but "wait" is one. Etc.

With Hams it is mostly jargon and tradition. Just like the rest of

our
language -- if ya get my drift - OK.

Exactly. I don't use 'em on voice but I'm not going to get upset with
someone who does.

You will have an impossible task trying to eliminate Q-signals on Ham

radio
voice modes --- QSL ?

roger!

The best way to eliminate their use on voice is simply to set an
example. What a concept, huh?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 16th 05, 01:12 AM
Mike Coslo

Caveat Lector wrote:

Someone wrote;
Q codes are for morse only. People who use Q codes on voice or text are
boring.

I agree that generally there is no reason to use Q-codes on voice.

But there are 600,000 + hams in the USA most using Q-Codes on voice even
VHF, and ya ain't gonna change that, so I suggest you know the basic ones
when they come at you.

It is jargon, just like RAM, ROM, HDD, CD, DVD, and all the computer
alphabet soup.

THe only one that bothers me is when someone says HI HI. The CW use is
obviously needed, but if you can't actually laugh at what somone said in
conversation, it couldn't be very funny.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 16th 05, 01:15 AM
Dee Flint

"robert casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

Packet was/is so incredibly slow compared to other digital
transmissions. When I became a Ham, I looked at it and decided that at
it's transmission speed, there wasn't a lot of use for it.

When packet first came out, it was fun to do. That's when
dial up modems did 1200 baud. But that was 15 years ago.
If the packet BBSes now did 56K or faster (not by modulation
of the audio feeding an FM rig, but skillful modulation of
the carrier itself (an RF modem)) it might still be interesting.

Again the FCC is barred from controlling
the content of any station.

They have the "no pecuniary interest" rule, which is a
regulation on content. Not that I think that that rule is
bad; it protects the ham bands from being taken over
by taxi cab and pizza delivery traffic and such.

But somehow it doesn't have 1st amendment issues.

That's because there are other venues for that. Freedom of speech doesn't
even enter into it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 16th 05, 01:28 AM
Mike Coslo

Todd Daugherty wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

Todd Daugherty wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Todd Daugherty wrote:

The Death of Amateur Radio

It is interesting that what you propose to do would hasten your
"Death of Amateur Radio" in my opinion.

If we get a few hundred more such as yourself that believe that
they
need to broadcast their opinions over the amateur bands, more

and

more
Amateurs will find something else to do with their leisure

time, as

they
have no room to transmit as the bands fill up with "bulletin
free speech transmissions. All the while transforming the Amateur bands
into some sort of mutant version of the AM broadcast band.

No where in my paper do I state that amateurs should
broadcasting.

"amateurs should broadcasting"?

There are
some including the FCC who wishes to keep the service to where
all you do is give a signal report, location, ect.

That's simply not true! I've had many long and enjoyable QSOs on a
variety of subjects, with never a problem on content from FCC. The
only limits on content
were "no pecuniary interest" and keeping it "G-rated".

As I stated in my paper a good example
of this was packet radio. Packet is pretty much died around here
because all
of the content on them was "For Sale" stuff. Packet would of
survive if BBS's were set up to cater to certain topics or discussion
groups.

Such as?

A BBS with discussion on antenna designing, Another BBS with
discussion on on experimenting. Another BBS with amaeur policy. These are just to
name a few there was a issue CQ VHF that went into greater detail about the
set up. The point is to have all the for sale stuff on one BBS and a diverse
of other BBS on other subjects.

Sounds good in theory. But in practice, how would that work? Could hams
all over the world, or even all over the USA, access that particular
BBS? If so, how?

I don't know, but if someone did do something like that on Packet, I
would definitely be interested.

I tried years ago to set something up like that however a few
local amateurs threated to go to the FCC and claim that the system is
interferning with their system.

How many years ago? And would it have interfered?

It seems to me that one of the limitations of amateur packet radio is
that
it hasn't evolved much past the 1200 baud/BBS mindset of 20+ years ago.
Heck,
even trailingedge computer types like me have been running 56k dialup
modems for almost a decade!

Spot on!

Wasn't amateur packet originally set up for 1200 baud because you could
use a
voice FM 2 m radio without any mods? You'd think that by now packet
would have
moved to much higher speeds and much higher bands...but that would mean
someone
would actually have to build a radio to do it...

Agreed.

You note that you look for a free space to transmit in. So
what? K1MAN doesn't. He opens up on whoever is on the frequency and
threatens those who don't move. How many more "free speech advocates" will
decide that anyone on "their frequency" is an infringement on their free
speech?

Information Bulletins are legal no matter what you or anyone
believes.

If the bulletins meet the specific criteria I outlined in another
post, they're legal.

The problem is however, that there are amateur radio operators who
feel that information bulletins which deal with amateur radio issues shouldn't
be opinionated and it is those same amateurs operators when the bulletin
is transmitting then begin jamming the Information bulletin because they
feel the transmission is illegal.

Jamming is an enforcement issue.

Interference which K1MAN is doing is not legal.

Agreed!

I wonder if wattage limits are an infringement on a persons

free

speech? Limiting it limits the number of people who can be

reached.

Suggestion that Lib net members use an alternative method of
getting
their views out is not infringement of their free speech, it is

suggestion. And not a bad one at that. No one is forcing them

off

the air, just suggesting a better venue for their views.

The FCC shouldn't even suggest it.

Yes, they should, if they see the content and behavior as

detrimental

to the ARS. Which they do.

Again the FCC is barred from controlling
the content of any station.

That's simply not true.

yes and no Under Section 326 of the Communication Act the FCC is

barred to

control the content of any station.

I'll ask again: What exact verbiage says that?

The only content the FCC is allowed to
control is obscene and indecent material and that's it.

How about commercial content on the ham bands?

How about using radio to help with the commission of crimes?

Are those things allowed under 326?

Again if they can have alternative perhaps ALL
amateurs should move off the radio spectrum and uses the
alternative....the Internet.

For certain subjects, that's the right medium.

Death of Amateur Radio? Perhaps you have a bigger part than you
realize........

Interesting!

In fact, we're starting to see what may be the "death of the

internet"

- or at least the death of its potential. Viruses, popups, identity
theft and other shenanigans are causing many people I know to

become

disenchanted with it.

I really dout the internet will die.

Me too. But I see its potential dying.

As a matter of fact Internet 2 is now
out (well right now only some Universities (206 to be exact) and
government agencies have it...it will probably be commercialized in about two to
three years.). Internet 2 will have a lot more applications and downloading
will be faster. (people will be able to download a full length movie
within minutes instead of days) so I really dout the Internet will die
anytime soon.

If "internet 2" catches on, it will replace the original.

If you want different content than what is found on current amateur
packet,
why not provide it yourself? Not in competition with the forsale folks,
but
on a different frequency or even band. With much higher speed and more
features?

I would second that, Jim. Todd, I'll go on record noting that you could
be at the vanguard of something that could serve more hams than your
proposed bulletins and eventually be a great part of the service.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 16th 05, 01:35 AM
Mike Coslo

Caveat Lector wrote:

Hmmm I read something like this in about 1950
Hasn't happened yet in fact increased enormously
Please give a date for the The Death of Amateur Radio
And we will take a dollar for every year it continues --- OK

Interesting that we have dozens of new hams that got a license to beat the
cell phone rates

That is why I got my ticket. At least because one of my hobbies is off
road 4WD'ing. More often than I care to admit, I get stuck in the woods,
and have to call my XYL to let her know I'm going to be late for dinner.

Eventually I found out what fun the hobby is, and went from there.

p.s. Don't you have a name besides your screen name? Seems kinda odd
calling you "caveat"! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 16th 05, 02:13 AM
Greg

From: "Weebus RF Meter"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:26:38 -0500
Subject: The Death of Amateur Radio

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

Hollingsworth has often commented on situations that are detrimental to
Ham radio. Certainly the Lib Net is one of those. A parent listening in
on that bunch is not likely to want their children having anything to do
with the hobby.

The Lib Net are a bunch of aging lightweight crackerheads compared
to something called The Eastern Regional Patriot Net.
You can catch these ultra-goofballs right now, every evening at
7:00 PM Central Time (8 PM Eastern) on 3.860 LSB.
This bunch is your genuine core-group of ultra-paranoid misfits
what seems to believes in chemtrails, colloidal-silver, the Protocols of
Zion, Planet X and Aryan purity among other such longtime short-wave
radio crapola, what everyone else knows is both pure bull**** and
the rantings of screwballs. The ERPN itself was started by noneother
than famous UPR Radio goofball Steve Anderson (..currently incarcerated
for firing a fully automatic AK-47 at a Kentucky State Police
officer during a MVA stop) who once broadcast from his home in
Northern Kentucky. Steve's eventual arrest and conviction has
not stopped these fruits and nuts which still meet nightly on 3.860 for
passing of Militia-related "traffic" on a nightly basis, some check-in's
of which have included known Militia members and several others
using both bootleg or invalid made-up ham callsigns. Of late however
check-in's to the ERPN have been sparse or made up of valid ham
radio callsign holders, as the word was out that both RH and a certain
"Homeland Security" type Agency of the US Govt. (hint) has taken recent
'interest' in some of the traffic being passed on this so-called net, or so
it was alleged at a midwestern ham club recently...........

Then again, that's is the consistent & nice thing about your average
right-wing Domestic Kookinschlong...every one of em LOVES to blabber
their openly Seditious and Insurrectionist incitement either thru a
telephone
to a kook call-in short-wave radio show, (..like Alex Jones' daily hit
parade
of paranoia) or from behind a ham radio microphone live and nightly like
they've been doing on the ERPN for several years now. What a bunch
of sloop head dopes, poebuckers and moe-rons! SWL them now boys while
you can, before they operate "dx" later at Guatananamo Bay or some
other similar 'amusing' place. ; )
[viktor-lima-bravo-two...grin....grin...]

Now wait, are you saying there really is no Planet X?

Old February 16th 05, 04:10 AM
Weebus RF Meter

"Greg" wrote in message

Now wait, are you saying there really is no Planet X?

Unfortunatly.....yes.

We were hoping that there was a Planet X.
This way if there was, when it appears there
would be another group like the Heaven's Gate cultists
that would go and perform some kind of a mass suicide
for our mutual viewing and reading enjoyment of the same.

(see http://www.csicop.org/si/9703/hale.html )

Untill then however, we'll just have to settle for right wing
militialoons that get their sorry ass shot out from under them
or tossed into jail, along with the occasional loon who goes
apeshi+ and shoots up a suburban shopping mall someplace.

(I don't think we'll be seeing another 9/11 for a very long time to come)

Oh well, as Andy Warhol said - "15 Minutes of Fame is our mutual
allocation"

Ciao baby!
xoxoxo

----------------

"I like to go to Wal-Mart, find some doofus guy shopping alone, wait until
he isn't looking, toss a Summers Eve douche bag in his cart, get behind
him in line and wait to see the look on his face when the cashier scans
it at the checkout"
- Mollie in alt.sex.lesbians

"You finally found your pacifier; keep sucking on it. Like your hero
Alexander the Homo, the spreader of Greek Syphilisization, you will be
rewarded soon with a mouthfull."
- Susan Cohen the spammer in soc.culture.greek

Funny Network News Moment of the day: Dan Rather,Peter Jennings and Tom
Brokaw couldn't keep a straight face when telling the world that Michael
Jackson
had to go to the ER today because he's got the runs and shi+ his pants in
court.
(I nearly died laughing at this one folks)

Old February 16th 05, 05:02 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Dee Flint wrote:

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Heil wrote:

If only we could introduce Todd to WA8ULX.

Oh, Lord. That would be a sight and a half!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

ULX would chew toddyboy up and spit him out in a Nu York minute.

Old February 16th 05, 05:05 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Todd Daugherty wrote:

There are many ham radio operators who misunderstand this paper so I'll give
a little example. Say I run a store, and in this store is empty boxes for
sale. Now often I would get someone to come into my store but no one would
buy my boxes. The reason for that is all I offer..the boxes. Now if I had a
variety of stuff to offer the business would pickup and I would be able to
compete with other stores. The same is true with amateur radio. If amateur
radio is to survive in the digital age outdated modes of communication won't
cut it. For amateur radio to survive they are going to have to offer
something besides an easy way to get a license. Amateurs will have to
compete in the sense that they are going to have to offer something that
would get people to join the service. Like I said for amateurs to compete in
the digital era out dated modes of communication and half ass forms of
communication aren't going to cut. Amateur radio will die because amateur
radio will have nothing to offer except those half ass modes and outdated
communications

Todd N9OGL

????????? How does empty boxes relate to Amateur Radio. I do know of
stores that make quite a bit of money selling empty boxes, so you must
be doing something terribly wrong toddyboy.