Old February 25th 05, 11:48 PM
Dee Flint

"whoever" whoever@wherever wrote in message
That's sort of what I meant when I said there are places on 2 and 6. I'll
bet the ones you worked could do 5 wpm or at least copy at that speed. I'm
saying the ones that can't do code aren't doing it on the bands they have
now so why give them more? If they can do it on 6 meters then they can
take the code test and they will have all the novice sub bands to use!

Actually it might give them more incentive to work on it since they could
use it right away.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old February 26th 05, 12:01 AM
Bert Craig

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"whoever" whoever@wherever wrote in message
That's sort of what I meant when I said there are places on 2 and 6. I'll
bet the ones you worked could do 5 wpm or at least copy at that speed.
I'm saying the ones that can't do code aren't doing it on the bands they
have now so why give them more? If they can do it on 6 meters then they
can take the code test and they will have all the novice sub bands to
use!

Actually it might give them more incentive to work on it since they could
use it right away.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Sadly, it's exactly the opposite. They appear to have no wish to "work" for
HF privileges. Anything other than a complete "gimme" is unsuitable.

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old February 26th 05, 12:35 AM
bb

Dr. Daffodil Swain wrote:
Why not maintain the 5WPM requirement in the U.S., but give No-Code

Techs
access to the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter old novice sub-bands.

Hey, you have an excellent idea that should have flown in the 1970's.
Maybe early 80's. Way too late for that kind of nonsense today.

This would
allow aspiring upgraders a place to hone their skills without having

just listen to recordings. Also, the sending skills can be developed

as
well. A side benefit would be hearing the sound of CW again ( even

if it's
bad) in these largly unused segments. Just a thought.

The people that were once willing to learn Morse Code have done so.
You saw the end of the line some time ago.

Old February 26th 05, 12:42 AM
bb

K4YZ wrote:
WA2SI wrote:
Dr. Daffodil Swain wrote:
Why not maintain the 5WPM requirement in the U.S., but give

No-Code
Techs
access to the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter old novice sub-bands.

This
would
allow aspiring upgraders a place to hone their skills without

having
just listen to recordings. Also, the sending skills can be

developed
as
well. A side benefit would be hearing the sound of CW again (

even
if it's
bad) in these largly unused segments. Just a thought.

Sounds reasonable. Heck, eventually the FCC will acquiesce to those

who
feel amateur radio privileges are rights rather than privileges. I
personally believe the FCC is going to retain Element 1 solely for

the
Extra class license. This would actually be a more balanced
alternative, IMHO.

We've long since left the American core value of "priviledge is
earned", Bert. It started with Johnson's "Great Society". The "Great
Entitlement Giveaway" has been gaining momentum since. It's now
self-perpetuating. You have a pulse? You're entitled to what ever

you
want regardless of whether you earned it or not.

Yep, just like when Ron Reagan said, "Mr Gorbachev, Tear Down That
Wall!"

And those East Germans got a free ride to freedom. It was all just
terrible. Freedom turned out to be free after all. They should have
been made to work for it. Uphill both ways. Show the proper attitude
and all that.

I say, "Mr. FCC Chairman Powell, Tear Down That Wall!"

But the bricklayers are busy. Very, very busy.

Old February 26th 05, 02:07 AM
Buck

On 25 Feb 2005 16:48:01 +0100, "Alun L. Palmer"
wrote:

There are too many proposals already, that's why the FCC is taking so long,
in all probability. FWIW, here's mine:-

Well, here is mine too:

1) New Novice Class (upgrade novices to this.)
HF Top 1/3 of SSB and CW bands on each of 80, 40,
15, and 10 meters
Maximum Power 20 watts.
2 meters 147-148 MHz Max 20 Watts
No other V/UHF

2) General Class (Upgrade Techs upon renewal, change of
address, etc.)
Top 2/3 of each cw and ssb band on HF 160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17,
15, 12, and all 10 meters. Max Power 500 Watts (even in
novice bands)
Full 60 Meter as regulated.
All V/UHF priviliges up to 500 watts.

3) Amateur Extra Class (Upgrade Advanced upon renewal etc.)
All HF VHF and UHF priviliges with 1500 watts. (except 60 or
others as regulated.)
Require element 1 and the same tough exam.

This may create incentives for upgrade and reward those who do so.

Earn your priviliges. It isn't impossible.

Buck
--
For what it's worth.

Old February 26th 05, 02:40 AM
bb

Dee Flint wrote:
"Dr. Daffodil Swain" wrote in message
ink.net...
Why not maintain the 5WPM requirement in the U.S., but give No-Code

Techs
access to the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter old novice sub-bands. This

would
allow aspiring upgraders a place to hone their skills without

having to
just listen to recordings. Also, the sending skills can be

developed as
well. A side benefit would be hearing the sound of CW again ( even

if
it's
bad) in these largly unused segments. Just a thought.

That's what I have thought would be a good way to go.

Yes, yes. And the Titanic should have had a caring CW operator, and a
few more life boats. And Leonardo Decappitico.

Jim thinks it should have sped up and rammed the iceberg. He's a
neocon on icebergology.

;^)

Old February 26th 05, 04:11 AM
robert casey

2) General Class (Upgrade Techs upon renewal, change of
address, etc.)
Top 2/3 of each cw and ssb band on HF 160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17,
15, 12, and all 10 meters. Max Power 500 Watts (even in
novice bands)

Power levels are hard to enforce from a remote listening
post. Frequency is easily enforced; that's why they
do subbands for differing license grades.

Full 60 Meter as regulated.
All V/UHF priviliges up to 500 watts.

3) Amateur Extra Class (Upgrade Advanced upon renewal etc.)
All HF VHF and UHF priviliges with 1500 watts. (except 60 or
others as regulated.)
Require element 1 and the same tough exam.

THe FCC was thinking that if they get rid of code tests,
that would reduce workload and administration duties.
Keeping code for extras and not generals doesn't get
them this. In which case they may decide to leave things
as is.

This may create incentives for upgrade and reward those who do so.

Earn your priviliges. It isn't impossible.

Just be sure that the things one needs to do to earn the
privileges are revalent to modern ham radio.
Old February 26th 05, 04:18 AM
robert casey

This makes no sense at all. If the so called no-code techs can't do code
now, how would giving them access to code only portion of the bands help
them learn code? If they want to listen to code, they can do that now
without a license. There are code portions of the 2 meter and 6 meter
bands that they have access to now, but I'll bet none of them go there
to practice code!

One feature of letting them use HF code bands is propagation.
They would more likely be able to find someone else to QSL
with somewhere in the country vs only in their county. And
as hams already they should know the protocols about listening
first to see if the freq is in use at the time or not, etc.
Old February 26th 05, 04:19 AM
Phil Kane

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:11:18 GMT, robert casey wrote:

Just be sure that the things one needs to do to earn the
privileges are revalent to modern ham radio.

Revalent ?? What dat means English ?? ggg

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old February 26th 05, 05:12 AM
robert casey

Phil Kane wrote:

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:11:18 GMT, robert casey wrote:

Just be sure that the things one needs to do to earn the
privileges are revalent to modern ham radio.

Revalent ?? What dat means English ?? ggg

Oh, it's one of those words I can't spell and the stupid
spell checker can't figure out. The word that means stuff
that is logically connected to a goal and sensible. Code
was very realivlent 50 years ago but less so today. Damn
spell checker still can't get it....