Old February 25th 05, 11:07 AM
Dr. Daffodil Swain

Default U.S. Morse Code Solution-Maybe?

Why not maintain the 5WPM requirement in the U.S., but give No-Code Techs
access to the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter old novice sub-bands. This would
allow aspiring upgraders a place to hone their skills without having to
just listen to recordings. Also, the sending skills can be developed as
well. A side benefit would be hearing the sound of CW again ( even if it's
bad) in these largly unused segments. Just a thought.

Old February 25th 05, 11:37 AM
WA2SI

Dr. Daffodil Swain wrote:
Why not maintain the 5WPM requirement in the U.S., but give No-Code

Techs
access to the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter old novice sub-bands. This

would
allow aspiring upgraders a place to hone their skills without having

just listen to recordings. Also, the sending skills can be developed

as
well. A side benefit would be hearing the sound of CW again ( even

if it's
bad) in these largly unused segments. Just a thought.

Sounds reasonable. Heck, eventually the FCC will acquiesce to those who
feel amateur radio privileges are rights rather than privileges. I
personally believe the FCC is going to retain Element 1 solely for the
Extra class license. This would actually be a more balanced
alternative, IMHO.

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI
FISTS #9384
QRP ARCI #11782

Old February 25th 05, 02:04 PM
K4YZ

WA2SI wrote:
Dr. Daffodil Swain wrote:
[...]

We've long since left the American core value of "priviledge is
earned", Bert. It started with Johnson's "Great Society". The "Great
Entitlement Giveaway" has been gaining momentum since. It's now
self-perpetuating. You have a pulse? You're entitled to what ever you
want regardless of whether you earned it or not.

In any case, I tend to agree with you on the Code issue. I'd go a
bit further and grandfather all the Advanced guys into Extra if for no
other reason than eliminating some administrative headache. Readjust
some of the sub bands a bit, then have it down to truly three classes
of license...Not three active and then several other "if you were
licensed on this date, "this", if you are one legged and whistle while
roller skating, "that" class, etc etc etc...

EXTRA: Remain as is. Full privileges and 5 WPM test.

ADVANCED: Grandfathered to Extra. Class eliminated from
database.

GENERAL. Becomes No Code. Present Generals remain. Sub bands
adjusted with Advanced "upgrade".

TECH PLUS: Must take written for upgrade to General with HF
theory/practice/safety questions. "Novice" HF privileges revoked, but
CSCE for 5WPM remains valid for future Extra upgrade.

NC TECH: No Change.

NOVICES: No more renewals. Put on notice that if they don't
upgrade by next renewal date, the license is eliminated. Possible
alternative, grandfather to NCT?

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old February 25th 05, 03:43 PM
Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL

"Dr. Daffodil Swain" wrote in news:7GDTd.14354$x53.711
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Why not maintain the 5WPM requirement in the U.S., but give No-Code Techs
access to the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter old novice sub-bands. This would
allow aspiring upgraders a place to hone their skills without having to
just listen to recordings. Also, the sending skills can be developed as
well. A side benefit would be hearing the sound of CW again ( even if it's
bad) in these largly unused segments. Just a thought.

Why not eliminate all testing? That's the ARRL plan.
Ten-Four Good-Buddy?

KB7ADL
Old February 25th 05, 03:48 PM
Alun L. Palmer

"K4YZ" wrote in news:1109339098.970664.145900
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

WA2SI wrote:
Dr. Daffodil Swain wrote:
[...]

There are too many proposals already, that's why the FCC is taking so long,
in all probability. FWIW, here's mine:-

1) Drop Element 1;

2) Upgrade Novices and No-code Techs to Tech Plus privileges, but just call
it Technician;

3) Upgrade Advanced to Extra

4) 'Re-farm' the Novice subbands as already agreed by the FCC;

5) As (4) above also affects (2), some further adjustments would have to be
made to Tech privileges, so I suggest giving them General CW/Data on 80, 40
and 15, plus full privileges on 10.

I don't expect everyone to agree, but I can't resist posting my two cents!

73 de Alun, N3KIP

Old February 25th 05, 06:57 PM
whoever

Dr. Daffodil Swain wrote:
Why not maintain the 5WPM requirement in the U.S., but give No-Code Techs
access to the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter old novice sub-bands. This would
allow aspiring upgraders a place to hone their skills without having to
just listen to recordings. Also, the sending skills can be developed as
well. A side benefit would be hearing the sound of CW again ( even if it's
bad) in these largly unused segments. Just a thought.

This makes no sense at all. If the so called no-code techs can't do code
now, how would giving them access to code only portion of the bands help
them learn code? If they want to listen to code, they can do that now
without a license. There are code portions of the 2 meter and 6 meter
bands that they have access to now, but I'll bet none of them go there
to practice code! Five wpm isn't that much, if you know the characters
already. If you don't know the characters, then I see no way that you
are going to practice sending code?

Old February 25th 05, 07:08 PM
Caveat Lector

Beg to differ -- I have worked several no code techs on six meters who were
practicing their code.

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

"whoever" whoever@wherever wrote in message

SNIP

Old February 25th 05, 07:35 PM
whoever

That's sort of what I meant when I said there are places on 2 and 6.
I'll bet the ones you worked could do 5 wpm or at least copy at that
speed. I'm saying the ones that can't do code aren't doing it on the
bands they have now so why give them more? If they can do it on 6 meters
then they can take the code test and they will have all the novice sub
bands to use!

Old February 25th 05, 11:42 PM
Dee Flint

"Dr. Daffodil Swain" wrote in message
ink.net...
Why not maintain the 5WPM requirement in the U.S., but give No-Code Techs
access to the 80, 40, 15, and 10 meter old novice sub-bands. This would
allow aspiring upgraders a place to hone their skills without having to
just listen to recordings. Also, the sending skills can be developed as
well. A side benefit would be hearing the sound of CW again ( even if
it's
bad) in these largly unused segments. Just a thought.

That's what I have thought would be a good way to go. Simply make all Tech
licenses the equivalent of the current Tech with Morse. That gives them the
old Novice code bands and the old "Novice enhancement" of 10m voice.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE