Old April 23rd 05, 12:47 AM
bb

K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
G1LVN wrote:

Looks like 100 years plus of amateur radio history in the UK

could
soon
go the same way as the 24GHz band i.e. licence excempt - no

exams,
no
callsigns, just CB!

--73deG1LVN
www.dutchhousemob.co.uk

24GHz, huh? What's that?

Why am I not surprised?

Surprise me. Tell us about your 24 GHz set-up. Hi!

Old April 23rd 05, 12:51 AM
bb

Woody wrote:
Specifically, Ofcom will NOT recommend any options to make the

amateur
radio
service WT Act licence-exempt; however, for transparency and

completeness,
this will
be put forward as an option in the public consultation in order to
gather the community's views ....."

How the hell does the above translate into this...

Looks like 100 years plus of amateur radio history in the UK could

soon
go the same way as the 24GHz band i.e. licence excempt - no exams,

no
callsigns, just CB!

Licence exempt - with 150W DC in (400w pep) - never in a million

years..
I would think every single organisation with an interest in the radio
spectrum
would object.

Woody..

Woody, tell us about your 24 GHz rig.

Old April 23rd 05, 03:06 AM

Well history has revealed that radio amateurs were pushed further up

the
frequency scale simply because they (the authorities) thought it was

of no
use commercially. Look at Short Wave, it was the radio amateurs who
discovered that one could work the world on short waves. Radio

amateurs who
discovered (or was it invented) SSB.

I don't know who invented SSB but it was in use for a number of years
commercially before it first appeared in the amateur bands.

Now of course there are fewer things
for us radio amateurs to give the world (for free of course) so our
existance is tolerated. However it looks like that tolerance (at

least in
the UK) is about to be curtailed.
Brian

There's an old adage out there which applies here, "Use it or lose it".
There's no point to complaining about losing allocations if we don't
use them. Which is the case with 24Ghz and we did it to ourselves.

w3rv

Old April 23rd 05, 03:27 AM
KŘHB

wrote

There's an old adage out there which applies here, "Use it or lose it".
There's no point to complaining about losing allocations if we don't
use them. Which is the case with 24Ghz and we did it to ourselves.

§97.1 Basis and purpose.

The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur radio
service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

.. . . . . (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to
contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

Which is a more valuable "Use" of spectrum.... 5,000 appliances operators on
wall-to-wall Lumbago Nets on 75-meters, or 5 guys designing world-class antennas
and low-noise preamps in order to work the EME path on 24-Ghz?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 23rd 05, 05:58 AM
K4YZ

bb wrote:
Joe wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

24GHz, huh? What's that?

Only a cber would ask a stupid question like that.

Are you active on 24 GHz?

Does he need to be to point out that your question was stupid?

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 23rd 05, 06:00 AM
K4YZ

bb wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
G1LVN wrote:

Looks like 100 years plus of amateur radio history in the UK

could
soon
go the same way as the 24GHz band i.e. licence excempt - no

exams,
no
callsigns, just CB!

--73deG1LVN
www.dutchhousemob.co.uk

24GHz, huh? What's that?

Why am I not surprised?

Surprise me. Tell us about your 24 GHz set-up.

Where did I say I had one, Brian?

You asked an idiotic question, Brian. It deserved the prod.

Steve, K4YZ

Old April 23rd 05, 07:20 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
wrote

There's an old adage out there which applies here, "Use it or lose

it".
There's no point to complaining about losing allocations if we

don't
use them. Which is the case with 24Ghz and we did it to ourselves.

=A797.1 Basis and purpose.

The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an

amateur radio
service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following

principles:

. . . . . (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven

ability to
contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

Nice warmy fuzzy regulatory platitude conjured up back when amateur
radio was a major player in what was back then considered the DC to
daylight RF spectrum. Which is obviously no longer the case. Back when
ham radio actually made some noteworthy contributions to the state of
the RF comms arts. When was the last time that happened? 1920?

Which is a more valuable "Use" of spectrum.... 5,000 appliances

operators on
wall-to-wall Lumbago Nets on 75-meters,

No counter, apples and oranges, has nothing to with "use or lose". The
HF ham bands are not under any particular allocation threats today
because (in the U.S) the Verizons, Nextels and (globally) the "public
interest" no longer have big (if any) stakes in the HF spectrum so no
sweat for the GeezerNet allocations. Let 'em roll, nobody cares
including the regulators.

But as has been clearly demonstrated any number of times since WW2 the
ham bands above 50 Mhz have been increasingly threatened species as the
stakes have moved up the spectrum and have grown exponentially to the
point where ham radio is now barely a bit player on frequencies above
470 Mhz. The dumbest strategy we could lean on to our preserve our
allocations is to depend on our long since worn out old 97.1b nonsense
and it's equivalents in the US/UK/EU/ITU etc.

The only real defense we have today for retaining our high bands is
occupancy, the potential for emergency ops and a lot licensed voters
screaming at the regulatory agencies about screwing with our hobby.
Screaming oddly enough seems to work to at least some extent as
witnessed by the impact ham radio had on the recent brawl over BPL/PLC
here in the States.

or 5 guys designing world-class antennas
and low-noise preamps in order to work the EME path on 24-Ghz?

EME has been around since 1947 and nobody has shown a bit of interest
in commercializing it 24 Ghz and otherwise. As you well know nobody
"needs" to use a half million mile bounce path to work down preamp
noise figures on any frequency. =20

=20
73, de Hans, K0HB

w3rv

Old April 23rd 05, 02:44 PM
bb

K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
G1LVN wrote:

Looks like 100 years plus of amateur radio history in the UK

could
soon
go the same way as the 24GHz band i.e. licence excempt - no

exams,
no
callsigns, just CB!

--73deG1LVN
www.dutchhousemob.co.uk

24GHz, huh? What's that?

Why am I not surprised?

Surprise me. Tell us about your 24 GHz set-up.

Where did I say I had one, Brian?

You asked an idiotic question, Brian. It deserved the prod.

So I ask another idiotic question: What is your 24 GHz set-up?

Old April 23rd 05, 02:46 PM
bb

K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
Joe wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

24GHz, huh? What's that?

Only a cber would ask a stupid question like that.

Are you active on 24 GHz?

Does he need to be to point out that your question was stupid?

Steve, K4YZ

"Woe is me, woe is me! I'm about to lose something that I've never
used and likely will never use."

So Steve, tell us about your 24 GHz rig.

Old April 23rd 05, 03:03 PM
K4YZ

bb wrote:
K4YZ wrote:
bb wrote:
Joe wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

24GHz, huh? What's that?

Only a cber would ask a stupid question like that.

Are you active on 24 GHz?

Does he need to be to point out that your question was stupid?

Steve, K4YZ

"Woe is me, woe is me! I'm about to lose something that I've never
used and likely will never use."

So Steve, tell us about your 24 GHz rig.

I never said I have one, Brain...

Or is that something else you missed today...?!?!

Sheeeesh....

Steve, K4YZ