Old June 12th 05, 11:49 PM
Michael A. Terrell

bb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
bb wrote:

KØHB wrote:
For the newcomer (and not-so-newcomer too):

http://www.alleged.com/radio/Harris/HF-Technology.pdf

dit dit
de Hans, K0HB

Harris Corporation is a military communications contractor.

A.F. Global Weather Central purchased a Harris transmitter to kick-off
the Weather HFRB (rtty, fax) System at Elkhorn, NE (AKA Giant Talk).

Harris Corp. built the Satellite Data Handling System at AFGWC.

Harris Corp. built the A.F. tactical DMSP ground set.

Harris Corp. transceivers were stuffed in racks in the Transportable
Automated Weather Distribution System (TAWDS).

But weathermen don't do comms. Hi!

Not to mention, Harris built the microwave receivers for NOAA, which are
being replaced by Microdyne/L-3com equipment.
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Are you in Melbourne?

No, I'm near Ocala, where Microdyne used to be.

Old June 15th 05, 02:48 AM
bb

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
bb wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
bb wrote:

K=D8HB wrote:
[...]

=20
No, I'm near Ocala, where Microdyne used to be.

Lucky duck.

Old June 16th 05, 07:56 PM
Michael A. Terrell

bb wrote:

Lucky duck.

I worked for Microdyne for four years as a production tech and as an
engineering tech. My last project was their RCB-2000 and DR-2000 series
receivers. The RCB was a dual receiver with a combiner, while the DR
was just a single receiver in the same case. Both had the same features
and user interfaces. they ran on embedded NT and had 10/100 MHz
Ethernet interfaces for complete remote control, or to store different
configurations.

I'm still near Ocala, but I'm now 100% disabled and can only spend a
few hours at a time in my shop here at home. Ocala is a nice area, but
three of the hurricanes did a lot of damage here last year. The
"Florida Greenbelt" runs across the back and one side of my property. It
was so heavily wooded that you couldn't see any light between the
trees. Now, there are more gaps than trees. Big pines were snapping
about half way up and hitting the ground. They moaned and groaned for
hours in the high winds, till they started snapping.