Old July 13th 05, 04:22 PM
K4YZ

Default F-16 Noise Complaint in Arizona

From the Arizona Republic online:

Quote: A wake-up call from Luke's jets

Jun. 23, 2005 12:00 AM

"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the
morning air show?

Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four
F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over
Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune!

Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they
trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns' early-bird special?

Any response would be appreciated."

The reply is classic, and a testament to the professionalism and
heroism of the folks in the armed services. The response:

Quote: Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday):

On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship of
F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over
the grave of Capt Jeremy Fresques.

Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at
Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland
Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and
friend.

Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the
jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of
taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave
them their son's flag on behalf of the president of the United States
and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the
sacrifices they have endured.

A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those
who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional
aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter
writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate
respects.

The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?"

The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the
widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was
in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of
their lives.

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
CO 63rd Fighter Squadron
Luke Air Force Base

Old July 13th 05, 04:53 PM
W2DNE

An interesting story, indeed, but this isn't rec.aviation.military

"K4YZ" wrote in message
ups.com...
From the Arizona Republic online:

Quote: A wake-up call from Luke's jets

Old July 13th 05, 06:20 PM
Michael Coslo

K4YZ wrote:
From the Arizona Republic online:

[...]

On a somewhat related note, some years ago I was riding my motorcycle
along an abandoned railway near Orviston PA. The line was once used to
ferry coal from the coal fields near Snoe Shoe PA, and was abandoned
sometime in the 50's as the WWII demand for coal had obviously eased.
Lots of tunnels, and a lot of bridges. It makes for a great ride in the
mountains. The only part that is a little "interesting" is that crossing
the bridges demands control and concentration, as you are riding on the
railroad ties with no guardrails, and some of the drops are over 100
feet to the river below. No place for sissies.

I was just coming out of a tunnel that had about 50 feet of open space
before starting across one of those bridges.

When along comes a jet, full afterburner, supersonic, and not too far
above my head. On his tail was another, doing the same. The area is as
much wilderness as you can get in PA, so the AF sometimes flew
excercises there.

It was a life flashing before my eyes moment, and I damm near ****ed
myself before I figured out what happened. I hopped off the bike, and
shook for a couple minutes to wear off the adrenaline.

Thank whoever that I was not on the bridge. If that were the case, I
would almost certainly *not* be here to annoy Len!

Even so, I'll thank all the pilots. I consider it a privelige to see
the warbirds - anytime.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 13th 05, 06:59 PM
KØHB

"Michael Coslo" wrote

When along comes a jet, full afterburner, supersonic, and not too far above my
head. On his tail was another, doing the same. The area is as much wilderness
as you can get in PA, so the AF sometimes flew excercises there.

Skipper of one of the ships I served in was Capt. Deke "Guinea One" Bordone who
came up through the "Top Gun" F4 (Tomcat) environment. While he'd been promoted
out of being an active driver (O6), he still had a lot of connections in the
carrier air wings.
Often when we were operating in support a carrier battle group, he'd call down
to radio central and ask us to bring up "Land/Launch" Nestor circuit and patch
it to the bridge wing. (Land/Launch is the "air control" channel for carrier
operations.)

That was everyones signal to get out on the main deck and put your fingers in
your ears and look to the sky, because he'd then coordinate fake
strafing/bombing runs on his own ship.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 14th 05, 03:06 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote

Skipper of one of the ships I served in was Capt. Deke "Guinea One" Bordo=

ne who
came up through the "Top Gun" F4 (Tomcat) environment.

With apologies beforehand for doing a Foghorn Lenhorn level nit pick
here but F4s are Phantoms and F-14s are the Tomcats.

I've watched two "missing man" formation flybys. They both definitely
made their intended statements. =20

73, de Hans, K0HB

w3rv

Old July 14th 05, 03:11 AM
KØHB

wrote

With apologies beforehand for doing a Foghorn
Lenhorn level nit pick here but F4s are Phantoms
and F-14s are the Tomcats.

Yer abserluterly correct, OT! But I have an excuse --- I'm a blackshoe, not a
brownshoe. In any case, "Guinea One" was an F4 driver.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 14th 05, 05:11 AM
KØHB

"Dave Heil" wrote

Your couple of lines don't even begin to resemble Foghorn. A couple of lines
is a correction. Four or five lengthy paragraphs on the workings of either
aircraft would be windy pontification.

You'd also need to include a statement to the effect that neither aircraft is
equipped with a J38.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 14th 05, 06:53 AM
Dave Heil

KØHB wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote

Your couple of lines don't even begin to resemble Foghorn. A couple of lines
is a correction. Four or five lengthy paragraphs on the workings of either
aircraft would be windy pontification.

You'd also need to include a statement to the effect that neither aircraft is
equipped with a J38.

....and that, "nothing in this post has anything to do with the amateur
radio HOBBY and whether all who attempt entry need jump through
arbitrary hoops in order to enter the Archaic Telegraphic Service."

Dave K8MN
Old July 14th 05, 07:19 AM
K4YZ

W2DNE wrote:
An interesting story, indeed, but this isn't rec.aviation.military

Nope, it's not.

But a fair share of us on BOTH sides of the issues ARE Veterans
and have stakes in such issues.

73

Steve, K4YZ